Brian Urlacher: If I’m done with the Bears, I’ll be sad but not crushed

Brian+Urlacher+Seattle+Seahawks+v+Chicago+165ppgbK1cVl Getty Images

Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher has a hamstring injury that could cause him to miss the rest of the season. And with Urlacher set to become a free agent, that means it’s possible that he has played his last game in Chicago.

Urlacher acknowledged that possibility on Tuesday, and although he said he wants to remain with the team that selected him with the ninth overall pick in the 2000 NFL draft, he can live with it if it doesn’t work out that way.

I do not think that’s going to happen,” Urlacher told FOX 32 News in Chicago. “But, if it does, I have had a really good and long career so I would be sad, but I would not be crushed.”

Urlacher has been one of the Bears’ best and most popular players since the day he arrived in Chicago, and sentimental Bears fans would hate to see him go. But he’ll turn 35 in the offseason, and he doesn’t have the speed that once made him such a dynamic linebacker. His injuries this year are a reminder that everyone’s time comes up eventually, and Urlacher won’t be a Bear forever.

Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
38 Responses to “Brian Urlacher: If I’m done with the Bears, I’ll be sad but not crushed”
  1. joetoronto says: Dec 5, 2012 7:01 AM

He was a great player but he’s done.

He’ll probably end up in the desert for a year or two.

2. tdstevie says: Dec 5, 2012 7:11 AM

I am a packer fan and Green Bay resident, every time we play the bears it’s a hard fought game…myself and other packer fans have nothing but respect for Urlacher and we wish him a speedy recovery as well as we hope he stays with the Bears

3. polarbear71 says: Dec 5, 2012 7:22 AM

I’m very sad aswell, both for Brian and thinking of Nick Roach in the middle !

4. fanofevilempire says: Dec 5, 2012 7:30 AM

this is the part that a team blows it……..
    why would you not bring this guy back, I bet
    they give some bum a HUGE contract that they
    soon regret.
    don’t quit on YOUR guy for a few million.
    certain guys I would not think twice about giving a few mil just to hang around, he is one.

I hope they do the right thing in Chi-Town.

5. randolph32 says: Dec 5, 2012 7:32 AM

Great player that’s for sure, but when it comes to the NFL, the fall is quick and never pretty.

We’ll miss you but the Bears have too many holes to fill to spend much money for you in the future.

6. chi01town says: Dec 5, 2012 7:43 AM

NOT YET PEOPLE…. Urlacher will walk out of Chicago on his own terms. his pay will decrease but NO ONE is forcing him out.

7. phuriousjorge says: Dec 5, 2012 7:45 AM

He’s not going anywhere for a few years, then he should be linebackers coach if the same defense is still in place.

8. ccjcsr says: Dec 5, 2012 7:47 AM

Overrated in my book

9. edhochuliisanhonestzebra says: Dec 5, 2012 7:48 AM

The ground that he could cover with his speed was incredible for a player his size. He’s one of the main reasons the Vikes haven’t won in Chicago since 2007.
    Even though he’s lost a step this season, the Vikings should consider signing him for his football savvy. Especially with Erin Henderson regressing instead of improving.

10. nycheesehead says: Dec 5, 2012 7:48 AM

Who is this ^ guy kidding. Go Pack Go

11. gmsingh says: Dec 5, 2012 8:00 AM

Poor Urlacher–he hasn’t been the same since Jenny McCarthy dumped him.

12. crazycane says: Dec 5, 2012 8:01 AM

The last of my “favorite players” and right up there with Ryno. If he goes, it was a great time with him and will be even more interesting without him.

We love you 54. The Lachness Monster

13. azjam says: Dec 5, 2012 8:08 AM

Quality player, should retire as a Bear. Would be a shame if they let him go. I’m sure he won’t be breaking the bank on salary demands.

14. thehumanfly says: Dec 5, 2012 8:14 AM

I can remember were urlacher was when he saw the sun on the down side of his career. Late 2005 when he was beat one on one at the goal line by an ancient jerome bettis on a snowy day in pittsburgh. Seems like 10 years ago that he was linked to paris hilton ( oh wait, it was).

15. gotampabay52 says: Dec 5, 2012 8:30 AM

come to Tampa

16. tokyosandblaster says: Dec 5, 2012 8:55 AM

What if he signs with the packers?

Oh, man… So many pissed off Chicagoans.

17. filthymcnasty1 says: Dec 5, 2012 8:56 AM

Great player, in the proudest tradition of the great Bear LB’s of yesteryear. He probably should have left Chicago with a couple of rings, but with their sub par QB play, it just didn’t happen.

18. lrt79 says: Dec 5, 2012 9:05 AM

He may have lost a half of a step but that just made him one of the top 10 MLBs in the league instead of top 5.

Did you see him move in to tackle Golden Tate on the first half long pass play Sunday? He flew out of nowhere to prevent the touchdown. Dude still has a few years left in the tank (I don’t recall too many people saying Ray Lewis is done and he’s 2 years older) and unless the Bears are able to land Manti Te’o in the draft no one they bring in will be as good as Urlacher even with his weakened legs.

19. WatchThis says: Dec 5, 2012 9:16 AM

Lions will get him, and he’ll destroy the Cutler next season, because secretly, he’s never liked the guy.

20. dlw492 says: Dec 5, 2012 9:19 AM

If the Bears don’t re-sign him, he will most likely end up in New England, New Orleans, I could honestly see Green Bay just because he might wanna show them up before he’s done. He’s been a pretty classy guy (so I wouldn’t be surprised if he just called it quits and joins NFL Network or something)

21. banky74 says: Dec 5, 2012 9:24 AM

As a Vikes fan, it wouldn’t feel right to play the Bears on Sundays and not see Urlacher in the middle.

22. jimmysee says: Dec 5, 2012 9:28 AM

Very sorry to hear he will not be on the field when Green Bay comes to Soldier Field later this month.

23. trollhammer20 says: Dec 5, 2012 9:52 AM

It’s always tough at times like this, but, to quote Charles Barkley, at some point, you don’t get better, you just get older. Cases in point: Ray Lewis and the Los Angeles Lakers. Urlacher may be on that list too. Sad, but it eventually happens to everyone.

24. angrylionsfan says: Dec 5, 2012 10:41 AM

Definitely a great player and well deserving of respect, but do you really think someone else, or the Bears for that matter, could sign him in clear conscience at this point with his recent injury history? If he’s smart he retires and goes out on top with his dignity intact. 2 more seasons somewhere else with lingering injuries doesn’t improve his legacy.

25. richwizl says: Dec 5, 2012 11:39 AM

Definitely one of the best MLB’s ever. You made Butkus proud.

26. tonyugoh says: Dec 5, 2012 11:52 AM

Would love to see him retire a Bear but if not, it would be cool to have him in Indy or Denver.

27. NoDecaf says: Dec 5, 2012 12:12 PM

I’d be surprised if no team outbids Chicago for whatever he can contribute. His caliber only comes along so often.

28. Frazier28/7 says: Dec 5, 2012 12:49 PM

He’d look damn good in Purple.

29. purpwalk says: Dec 5, 2012 1:18 PM

good for the vikes this sunday, but he should remain a bear

30. rail77 says: Dec 5, 2012 1:32 PM

When you think of the Chicago Bears, the first name that you think of is “Brian Urlacher”. He is the face of the franchise. He is to the Bears, what Ray Lewis is to the Ravens. I wish him a speedy recover. If he doesn’t play for the Bears, next year, he’ll probably ride of into the sunset. I can’t see him playing for another team as a shadow of himself. In the Bears defensive scheme, he’s able to contribute when healthy. Going to another team, with a deferent scheme, he probably wouldn’t do as well. At age, 35, his body is letting him know that it’s getting to that time that he should consider retiring. He’s a proud warrior, and a future “Hall of Famer”, so he’ll probably go out on his shield. He would probably be willing to take a pay cut, to stay with the Bears, rather than play elsewhere.

31. cjevans13 says: Dec 5, 2012 1:50 PM

I am a Bears Fan. What they need to do in give him a 2 year contract. Then, in the upcoming draft pick the heir for his position so that the rookie learns from Brian. They need to keep Brian the entire length of this new contract and not cut him.

32. larryboodry says: Dec 5, 2012 2:10 PM

ccjcsr says: Dec 5, 2012 7:47 AM

“Overrated in my book”

Football For Dummies?

33. materialman80 says: Dec 5, 2012 3:22 PM

Urlacher had a great run. I wish him well.

34. dshane71 says: Dec 5, 2012 3:24 PM

Eagles will pick him up to go along with their aging secondary.

35. iowahbr says: Dec 5, 2012 4:47 PM

Sunday 12/9/2012 about 4:30pm Central STD. time. At the post game wrap:

Vikings beat Bears 24 to 19. Peterson rushes for 182 yards on 23 carries- Matt Forte held to 24 yards on 13 carries. Gould’s 4 field goals not enough. Lovie says, “I just never had the time to get Brian’s replacement ready. Who knew he was getting old?”

What am I missing?

36. larryboodry says: Dec 5, 2012 5:09 PM

iowahbr says: Dec 5, 2012 4:47 PM

“Sunday 12/9/2012 about 4:30pm Central STD. time. At the post game wrap:

What am I missing?”

A dose of reality.

37. iowahbr says: Dec 5, 2012 5:27 PM

As a Bear fan I hope you are right but I have seen this episode before or have your forgotten Mr. Hanie already.

38. larryboodry says: Dec 5, 2012 5:54 PM

@iowahbr:

Had I remembered your Bears allegiance, my reply would have been more civil, so sorry ’bout that…I believe we can win this Sunday…That said, I hope we can somehow win 3 of the last 4 games.