If Suggs needs surgery, he only has so long to do it

Suggs Getty Images

Peeling back the “blood diamond” rhetoric and the reality that the Ravens need linebacker Terrell Suggs (and maybe two or three more of him) in order to win the Super Bowl, Suggs potentially faces a delicate decision that could impact the balance of his football career.

A source with knowledge of the situation explains that, if Suggs needs surgery to repair his torn biceps muscle, there’s a window within which the surgery must be performed or it can never be performed.

If it’s not performed within said window, the muscle would never return to 100 percent.

For players who are close to the end of their careers, it makes sense to not operate.  For players who have a long way to go, surgery ends up being the best option.

In Suggs’ case, surgery would shut him down for the season.  So the uncertainty regarding his current status comes less from the question of whether he can play this weekend than whether he needs to have surgery by a certain date that would shut him down for the rest of the year.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
26 Responses to “If Suggs needs surgery, he only has so long to do it”
  1. golonger says: Dec 5, 2012 4:29 PM

This is a bunch of garbage. I am an orthopedic surgeon, and I can tell you this is totally inaccurate.

2. ihateravens says: Dec 5, 2012 4:30 PM

I’m sure this guys big mouth needs to be altered during the surgery. The Ravens are a team in desperation. Easily could be a .500 team. Take them down in the first round. Flukeoo is not an elite QB.

3. bigpap says: Dec 5, 2012 4:30 PM

How many kinds of these injuries do we see?
    Good players past their prime
    Holding on for what ever reason

But maybe the allure of the field/fame/fortune
    Always tops common sense
    But I do not know if i could refuse that either
    Yes I do.

4. fraleyr says: Dec 5, 2012 4:31 PM

steroid freak

5. mancinibread says: Dec 5, 2012 4:31 PM

Ravens are so over for this season, RG III is gonna own them this week. T-Fuggly should have the surgery and look forward to next season.

6. steelpenbucs87 says: Dec 5, 2012 4:34 PM

Suggs has a couple more years left in him – not too many more as he is not a spring chicken and this year’s injuries are more likely to become the norm.

So I pose it to the Ravens fans, which would you rather have: Suggs at 60% for the rest of this year and all subsequent years, or lose Suggs for this year and get him back at 100% next year and maybe a couple more after that?

Not an easy decision.

7. Nofoolnodrool says: Dec 5, 2012 4:36 PM

Think Aaron Smith when you make your decision Sizzle or you be T-Fizzel. Hang it up for the season because you will only get one game in the playoffs before you get exposed by another third stringer at home. Hey they’ll give you a tee shirt if they end up with one.

8. mrreality1 says: Dec 5, 2012 4:36 PM

Geeze, I hope this doesn’t happen to too Karlos Dansby whos been playing with a torn bicep since week 6. Karlos Dansby tears his bicep and gets zero PFF threads, Terrell Suggs gets the same injury and there is a thread every hour. Strange!

9. bobbybcc says: Dec 5, 2012 4:44 PM

the skins stink 6 and 6 going no where

10. biggestloser79 says: Dec 5, 2012 4:55 PM

Didn’t Adrian Wilson play a whole season with this injury?

11. steelersownyou says: Dec 5, 2012 5:11 PM

*suggs not sighs

12. russel5 says: Dec 5, 2012 5:20 PM

Is “A source with knowledge of the situation” a doctor who has examined Suggs?

And how long is this “window within which the surgery must be performed or it can never be performed?”

Plus can this source explain how Suggs returned in 6 months from a year long injury?

13. iceburgskin202 says: Dec 5, 2012 5:27 PM

I hope he does what’s best for himself in this situation. I would love to see him on the field against my skins but not at the expense of never hearing him tell the world he attended Ball So Hard University!!! Tough choice I hope he makes the right one.

14. clw1906 says: Dec 5, 2012 5:28 PM

bobbybcc says:
    Dec 5, 2012 4:44 PM
    the skins stink 6 and 6 going no where

Hey genius the article is about Suggs. Try to keep pace please we do have a tutor available.

15. pgh15212 says: Dec 5, 2012 6:02 PM

With the right playoff matchup this team may steal a win in the postseason.

16. flaccounibrow says: Dec 5, 2012 6:22 PM

Dec 5, 2012 4:29 PM
    ___________________________________
    When is the last time you fixed a neglected tendon rupture in a world class athlete? For most people they could achieve a “functional” retrun to normal activity. With retraction of the ruptured portion of the tendon a distinct possibility, (particularly with his functional demands) how will you bring it back out to length? Cadaveric graft? Palmaris longus graft? He likely would never regain full strength. So in the average Joe, I agree, but with an NFL linebacker, I respectfully disagree.

17. ravensnosncaps says: Dec 5, 2012 6:35 PM

Find it quite funny how the same steelers fans keep talking about how lucky the ravens have been. Haven’t seen all the steelers games this year but of the victories I did see, the same could be said for them. So let it go, yinz have had some lucky ones too.

18. ravenator says: Dec 5, 2012 7:47 PM

ow. Lot of Suggs haters out there. It only leads me to believe Suggs has ruined at least one of your sunday fun days

19. dontstabmeray says: Dec 5, 2012 8:00 PM

golonger says:Dec 5, 2012 4:29 PM

__________________________________

Yea, and I’m a rocket scientist

20. dontstabmeray says: Dec 5, 2012 8:02 PM

ravenator says:Dec 5, 2012 7:47 PM

__________________________________

No, in fact it made this past Sunday super fun. He was totally garbage the whole game, even before he got hurt. It was fun watching a 38 year old 3rd string QB carve up the Ravens.

21. wewantmoretebowandfavrearticles says: Dec 5, 2012 8:43 PM

Suggs has access to some of the best health care specialists in the world. If he absolutely NEEDS the surgery to play at a competitive level, he will go get it. The “source with knowledge of the situation” doesn’t know as much as they think. Also, biceps really are not that important of a muscle for playing football. Not returning to “100%” is no big deal.

22. horses721 says: Dec 5, 2012 9:03 PM

He should have the operation and take the same “aspirin” he took to recover so quickly from his Achilles surgery. That should get him back in time for the playoffs.

23. blackqbwhiterb says: Dec 5, 2012 9:23 PM

Doesn’t matter the only real team in Maryland isn’t in Maryland, it’s in DC, and this weekend they’ll beat the Ravens with Suggs and his bicep in the game or not

24. johninthewest says: Dec 5, 2012 9:34 PM

Ravens are sooo over rated

25. anacherforester says: Dec 5, 2012 11:29 PM

______________________________

Does what you’re saying to us really make sense to you? Have you ever tried to tackle someone running at you full speed with essentially 1 arm tied behind you and hurting like hell? Neither have I. But I guarantee it won’t be a whole lotta fun.

26. londonfletcher59 says: Dec 6, 2012 1:20 PM

@anacherforester

Agreed. I’m an avid weight lifter. Have been for some time, and I get tendonitis on the inside of my left elbow from curling and rowing from time to time, and that kills me. I could only imagine how bad it would hurt to actually tear a muscle. No way that “isn’t a big deal”.