Jon Gruden AP

In many respects, the post-Al Davis Raiders are very different from the team that was run for years by one of the fieriest personalities in sports.

In at least one respect, the Raiders have retained said fire.

Director of Media Relations Zak Gilbert has responded via email to the rumor, as mongered by Hub Arkush of Pro Football Weekly, that the Raiders are talking to Jon Gruden about taking a job with the team he once coached.

“Members of the media,” Gilbert writes, “[t]here are two people on this planet that have the ability to make talks happen between Jon Gruden and the Raiders, with regard to him allegedly taking over the football operations, and/or the position of head coach.  Each of those individuals, owner Mark Davis and general manager Reggie McKenzie, wanted me to communicate that this rumor has no validity whatsoever.  And for the record, I’m personally disgusted that Hub Arkush would spread such an untruth on the day our head coach, Dennis Allen, had to determine with his mom, his brother and sister, whether to take his dad off life support or wait and hope that he would regain consciousness.  Dennis didn’t have an opportunity to say goodbye to his dad, but he did have an opportunity to take a phone call regarding Hub’s story.”

I didn’t consider Coach Allen’s personal situation when someone pointed out that Arkush had pushed the Gruden-to-Oakland rumor Tuesday afternoon on WSCR in Chicago.  I should have.  I likely helped make it a bigger story than it otherwise would have been, and I apologize to the Raiders and to Coach Allen for writing about the story on the same day his father passed.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
30 Responses to “Raiders P.R. chief “disgusted” by Arkush spreading Gruden rumor on day Allen’s father died”
  1. pike573 says: Dec 5, 2012 8:35 PM

That was my first thought. That the timing of the articles were in poor taste.

2. raider8er says: Dec 5, 2012 8:35 PM

Thanks, Mike. May the Allen family have strength during this very sad period. Best wishes to them.

3. raidernation7589 says: Dec 5, 2012 8:37 PM

I was thinking the same thing yesterday, about the story coming out on the day his father died, but it shows character in apologizing, well done

4. realfann says: Dec 5, 2012 8:41 PM

Nice apology Florio and an understandable mistake on your part.

5. marshawnlynchlookslikepredator says: Dec 5, 2012 8:45 PM

Well stated Mike. I think most of us know you didn’t mean any harm.

6. thetwilightsown says: Dec 5, 2012 8:51 PM

Amen and amen.

7. logicalvoicesays says: Dec 5, 2012 9:01 PM

I don’t think you did anything wrong by publishing the story and I’ll leave it at that.

8. manningbowl88 says: Dec 5, 2012 9:04 PM

good to hear an apology, i didnt put it together but its nice you thought about it..props

9. dabutcha114 says: Dec 5, 2012 9:06 PM

All I know is in the NFL were there is smoke there is fire!

10. mydadyourmom says: Dec 5, 2012 9:07 PM

Fire Bettman.

11. liondriven says: Dec 5, 2012 9:11 PM

Best to the Allen Family.

Thanks for pointing this out Mike.

12. jimmysee says: Dec 5, 2012 9:11 PM

Thanks, Mike — that’s why I like and read PFT.

13. blackngold4life says: Dec 5, 2012 9:12 PM

shouldn’t have to apologize..but the manly thing to do

14. silvestregonzalez74 says: Dec 5, 2012 9:23 PM

It takes a bigger man to admit he was wrong!

15. kingpel says: Dec 5, 2012 9:24 PM

I never even considered this story from the perspective of current Raider personnel, just from Gruden and his MNF gig.

Way to own it though, Mike. That is why you guys are the best is the business.

16. modellforprez says: Dec 5, 2012 9:28 PM

Mike Florio. you made a mistake as every human who has ever lived has. and you admitted said mistake took responsibility owned up to it and apologized. good for you. really that’s all you can do, but because it is such a personal family matter for coach Allen and his team supporting him it will take some time to die down. condolences to coach and his family and raider family……

17. brenenostler says: Dec 5, 2012 9:33 PM

I said something about it in the comments yesterday. Just bad timing.

18. tharoostah says: Dec 5, 2012 9:47 PM

I like that the publisher and editor of profootball weekly (Hub Arkush) goes on the radio saying he has sources saying the Raiders are talking to Gruden yet I can’t even find an article on his website about it. I guess thats why I use PFT. What a hack.

19. kane337 says: Dec 5, 2012 9:58 PM

I made mention of the bad timing on this site yesterday too. I was not faulting PFT. I was finger pointing the guy who leaked the rumor. But way to own up Florio. Kudos.

20. dsaville says: Dec 5, 2012 10:04 PM

I don’t think any harm was meant in posting your story. You even said it didn’t make sense when you posted it. I love the Raiders defending their own. I don’t think Florio was trying to cause any trouble.

21. hendeeze says: Dec 5, 2012 10:35 PM

I can’t stand the Raiders, but props to Florio for not being a Douche

22. zeeman911 says: Dec 5, 2012 11:45 PM

This is the same idiot making up stories about a GM ripping on the lions, jut trying to send traffic to his Garbo site….

23. mithril49 says: Dec 5, 2012 11:47 PM

One of the things Ive loved most about you thru the years Mr. Florio is you say what needs to be said, should be said, and whatever you want to say all-powers-be-damned. In this case one of your rare apologies, and my respect for you grows. Thoughts and prayers to the Allen family.

24. lambeaufieldwest says: Dec 6, 2012 5:29 AM

“Disgusted”……. Always great when PR people use unnecessary hyperbole to capitalize on tragedy.

25. tucostacos says: Dec 6, 2012 6:32 AM

Hub is a bitter little bald tool who has been polluting the Chicago airwaves with his obvious Bears hate since they can his ass years ago.

Every loss is an “I told you so” and every win is a “yeah, but”. Best I can figure he’s a Packer’s fan who likes Chicago money.

26. jimr10 says: Dec 6, 2012 6:37 AM

Arkus is a dirt bag running around from Tennessee to California spreading the word Gruden, for whom i have lost all respect, wants back into coaching..

27. gmsingh says: Dec 6, 2012 6:40 AM

Shades of David Letterman hosting the Oscars: “Uma…Oprah. Zak…Hub.”

28. raidermike34 says: Dec 6, 2012 11:53 AM

Let’s see how hard the Raiders play for DA today since his dad’s passing – I really hope they give him some kind of sign of promise and intensity – afterall they are all under the microscope here..

My condolences to DA & His family, here is wishing the raiders play a very respectable game in honor of their coach who has endured a season of no heart and pride.

Give the coach something to tip his cap to..

29. cliverush says: Dec 6, 2012 12:14 PM

It is an understandable error on your part Mike considering you flush all the news of the entire league through your site. You do a very every fan who reads about football a great service. Your apology speaks to your character.

30. dabeardown says: Dec 6, 2012 12:31 PM

Can’t stand Hub Arkush, He is on Chicago radio and is annoying and worthless.

He predicted that the KC Chiefs would win the SUper Bowl this year. I think that right there says it all.