David Boston gets six months in jail, concussions cited at sentencing

davidboston Getty Images

Former NFL wide receiver David Boston was sentenced to six months in prison today for punching a woman last year, but the sentence could have been much more severe, as prosecutors were seeking to put Boston behind bars for four years.

So why did the judge give Boston a more lenient sentence? In part, because Boston blamed concussions suffered in football for his actions off the field, and the judge found Boston’s claims convincing.

According to the Sun Sentinel, a psychiatrist testified at Friday’s sentencing hearing that Boston had at least four concussions from playing football, and Circuit Judge Charles Burton said he agreed to impose less jail time than prosecutors were seeking because of evidence that Boston suffers from a brain disorder. Boston said in court that he is suing the NFL over head trauma he suffered on the field.

With thousands of former players now suing the NFL for brain damage they say they suffered during their playing days, this surely won’t be the last time we hear of a player blaming brain damage after being convicted of a crime. The 34-year-old Boston, a once-promising Pro Bowler who has had several off-field problems, pleaded guilty last month to felony aggravated battery in connection with last year’s incident.

Permalink 56 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
56 Responses to “David Boston gets six months in jail, concussions cited at sentencing”
  1. edhochuli says: Dec 7, 2012 10:55 PM

Concussions are the new “devil made me do it”

2. snowpea84 says: Dec 7, 2012 10:57 PM

Wow. Such a farce. If you reward people for making these kind of claims you’re just inviting a circus.

3. sportsmeccabi says: Dec 7, 2012 10:57 PM

Maybe it was the judge who was suffering from a concussion.

But I doubt the judge bought that. The jails/prisons are overcrowded and he probably pretended to buy the excuse so the prosecutor wouldn’t throw a fit about giving him a lesser sentence.

4. thehatefulnerd says: Dec 7, 2012 10:58 PM

If “the concussions made him do it,” then isn’t he a danger to himself and others?

He should be institutionalized, no?

5. hines86for6 says: Dec 7, 2012 11:00 PM

Hitting women is terrible and I dont know the ins and outs of the situation, but the prosecutors trying to lock a guy up for 4 yrs for that is ridiculous.

maybe if he viciously assaulted her continuously, but a single punch does not warrant 4 yrs behind bars.

6. konichiwabtches says: Dec 7, 2012 11:05 PM

He suffers from rood rage .. Has nothing to do with concussions

7. dburgoyne says: Dec 7, 2012 11:08 PM

Yeah and roid rage had nothing to do with it. Stay classy Boston!

8. thejuddstir says: Dec 7, 2012 11:11 PM

Talk about opening up a new can of worms. So if Dez Bryant should get caught with drugs or dealing drugs etc. he uses the excuse that his mama was a crackhead and he’s a crackbaby so it isn’t his fault. Or the average Joe-bag-a-donuts stops for a few beers, leaves and gets an accident driving and kills someone……”oh by the way your honor, my ole’ man was a drunk and it wasn’t my fault I got drunk”. It’s called accountability.

9. hosmachine says: Dec 7, 2012 11:11 PM

Question Has Jerry Jones ever been checked to see if he has “effects” from concussions?

10. terrellblowens says: Dec 7, 2012 11:13 PM

I’m sure the juice also messed with his chemical balance in his brain. My guess is that some combination of concussions and PED use is what causes so many athletes to go off the deep end.

11. fdugrad says: Dec 7, 2012 11:13 PM

My GOD, no amount of fame, riches or power is worth the price paid by these pro football players! With few exceptions, they leave as absolute physical wrecks. Add to that, they have little to no job skills due to their “student athlete” days and of course, lastly, they have squandered their fortune on slow horses and fast women. It is not a pretty picture and sadly, there is a never-ending supply of young men willingly and aggressively volunteering to jump into the meat grinder/ blood sport year after year.

12. profootballwalk says: Dec 7, 2012 11:14 PM

Boston was acting up when he was with the Chargers. Did he have all his concussions in his first couple of years in the league, or was he just a turd from Day 1?

13. keepingitrealdumb says: Dec 7, 2012 11:14 PM

b00lsheit!!!

this gives every NFL’er an excuse for whatever crime they commit.

ryan leaf now has a legal excuse for the breaking&entering and robberies he commited!?!?

i call b00l!!!

14. ningenito78 says: Dec 7, 2012 11:18 PM

Yeah concussions. No way it was all the steroids he did. Nah.

15. 2dmo4 says: Dec 7, 2012 11:18 PM

I’ve had a few concussions in my life. Doubt if i punched a lady I’d only get 6 months. Being a former pro athlete once again helps when it comes time for sentencing.

16. mike5011ad says: Dec 7, 2012 11:18 PM

David Boston also was suspended from the NFL for steroid and cocaine use. All you have to do is look at him on the cover of SI when he was at Ohio State, and then look at pics of him at San Diego. Steroids and cocaine have both been known to cause extreme mood swings. They can permanently alter the chemistry of your brain. The concusion excuse just seems like a cop out…

17. orakpocalypse says: Dec 7, 2012 11:19 PM

Hey i had a concussion once. Is it ok for me to beat up women too? I wish Bob Costas and Jason Whitlock were in charge of the country so nobody would ever be able to hurt women again.

18. csilojohnson says: Dec 7, 2012 11:21 PM

A hole

19. mattypbillsmafia says: Dec 7, 2012 11:22 PM

Just another proud alum of The Ohio state blah blah blah… At least their players pan out in the NFL… Thx for drafting whitner again Bills…

20. dino2997 says: Dec 7, 2012 11:25 PM

Concussions? What about the steroids he took?

21. cosanostra71 says: Dec 7, 2012 11:28 PM

I’m sure the steroids had something to do with it. But drug dealers don’t have as much money as the NFL does.

22. changeup39 says: Dec 7, 2012 11:28 PM

Uhhh its David Boston…definitely ‘roid rage, not CTE

23. huskersrock1 says: Dec 7, 2012 11:29 PM

Liberal (social worker) judges are so soft. Just imagine after 4 more years of Vladimir Ilyich Obama appointing judges it is only going to get worse. We are all so screwed.

24. latchbeam says: Dec 7, 2012 11:30 PM

A great WR that turned into a linebacker!

25. badintent says: Dec 7, 2012 11:33 PM

Yeah, he gets only 6 months because he though he was punching Zimmerman. Too bad his little head is his big head, it got battered by Kim Kardashian (according to David)

26. bantry1234 says: Dec 7, 2012 11:44 PM

I had several concussions playing football in grade school and high school. Can I use that as an excuse when I decide to rob a bank?

27. ctiggs says: Dec 7, 2012 11:47 PM

Last time i check jail generally is one year or less and prison is generally one year or greater for first timers , so which is it?

28. jimbo75025 says: Dec 7, 2012 11:52 PM

orakpocalypse says:
    Dec 7, 2012 11:19 PM
    ———

Uh what? Seems to me if a guy knows a woman could have a 45 nearby, even the biggest idiot would think twice before hauling off and hitting her.

29. mj1818 says: Dec 7, 2012 11:56 PM

I wonder how many of those thousand broken former NFL players are actually suffering from post concussion symptoms.

30. musicallead says: Dec 8, 2012 12:00 AM

I’ve had seven documented concussions so does this mean I can do whatever I want and use that as an excuse to get out of trouble?

31. thejuddstir says: Dec 8, 2012 12:03 AM

Steroids…drugs……..no problem, just blame it all on “concussions”. This has to be one of the dumbest damn judges, must be related to judge judy down in weese-ana.

32. polarbroncofan says: Dec 8, 2012 12:10 AM

So concussions caused Bolton’s violent off field behavior? I didn’t see anything in the article suggesting that Bolton was seeking treatment to remedy his problems or that treatment would even make a difference. If this is true, then he remains a danger to repeat offend. Why not give him a four year sentence so that he can punch inmates instead of women?

33. tfbuckfutter says: Dec 8, 2012 12:11 AM

He’s just trying to make himself more attractive to female Olympians.

34. Stiller43 says: Dec 8, 2012 12:12 AM

So suggs didnt blame his troubles on concussions then?

35. vincentbojackson says: Dec 8, 2012 12:27 AM

Wonder if his head gets its own jail cell?

No way that huge melon’s fitting in a normal size cell.

36. commonsensedude says: Dec 8, 2012 12:39 AM

Somewhere in a prison in Nevada, O.J. Simpson is giving his legal team a call with a great new idea for an appeal of his sentence. “You know, Alan, I suffered a LOT of concussions in my day …”

37. sabatimus says: Dec 8, 2012 12:54 AM

Yeah, because Mr. David is in no way responsible for the fact that he played football. Perhaps he’d have us believe he never knew you could get concussions from football. Next, Elmer Fudd.

38. nonjaghater says: Dec 8, 2012 1:09 AM

A long dark path some athletes are following. At an increasing pace their side grows. Cry “havoc,” and let slip the dogs of war.

39. raiderinva says: Dec 8, 2012 1:23 AM

How quickly we forget: Wasn’t there just an NFL campaign against domestic (male on female) violence after the Jovan Belcher incident?

Didn’t David Boston get busted in Tampa for driving under the influence of a substance that turned out to be GHB? Now he only gets six months because of concussions?

There is something wrong with our society, the light bulb is getting dim.

40. sixburghrules says: Dec 8, 2012 1:39 AM

As much as I admire our soldiers that come home from war SOME of them have PTSD. Not all NFL players have disorders caused by playing football. And further more I have never heard of this guy! Loser looking for an easy out

41. dannythebisforbeast says: Dec 8, 2012 1:48 AM

Nice. I’ve had a half dozen concussions hmmmm what crime can I get away with and use that as my out??? Hmm oh wait I’m not rich too so scratch that

42. mcarey032 says: Dec 8, 2012 1:50 AM

Wow! It reminds me of South Park where they were shooting deer and in order to get around the law they had to yell out “The deer is attacking me! Shoot em in self defense!” Guess we are gonna see more NFL players potentially using this as a defense which is terrible. Boston is a former player who was involved in steroids. Isn’t it possible that his prolonged use of steroids contributed to this. Either way, he CHOSE to hit a woman and should be punished accordingly.

43. gobuccs1280 says: Dec 8, 2012 1:59 AM

Plan is to go hooker beating tonight, I have had 6 concussions, so I should be fine. I’m gonna also try it on every officer who pulls me over, “sorry officer, the concussions made me speed.”

44. mute617 says: Dec 8, 2012 6:02 AM

Huh, I’ve had 4 concussions from football & 2 not football related. I’ve never felt the urge to punch a woman in the face.

45. supremekingz says: Dec 8, 2012 6:12 AM

What David Boston did was terribly wrong. But let be honest. If you were in his shoes facing 4 years, and it was revealed to you that you could blame it on concussions as take 3.5 years off your sentence, what would you do?

46. effjohntaylornorelation says: Dec 8, 2012 6:28 AM

When tOSU signed this son of a Texas judge we were all so excited. Were the concussions to blame when he was buying, pot, x and blow at age 19, allegedly, the Friday before games in college? I hate to say it but he is like a mini Jerremy Stevens.

47. hkemp99 says: Dec 8, 2012 6:46 AM

It’s not just the players who are claiming head trauma. As a Lions fan, I’ve suffered numerous concussions from banging my head against the wall.

48. punkyqb says: Dec 8, 2012 7:26 AM

Some of the posters on here think 6 months in jail is too much. 6 months would not be long enough if it was your daughter or wife would it. Any man big enough and strong enough to be playing in the NFL and punching a woman in the face should be locked up for a long time. Any man for that matter.

49. pksullivanmph says: Dec 8, 2012 8:03 AM

I guess this could be the case I won’t judge that but addiction is a brain disorder also but inthe end we are all responsible for our behavior. This could be a slippery slope that ends up stigmatizing those who really need medical help. 🏉 @footballady52

50. baloneyjohn says: Dec 8, 2012 8:06 AM

Here we go. These ambulance chasers are licking their chops.

51. lifelongbrownsfan says: Dec 8, 2012 8:32 AM

QUOTE:

the prosecutors trying to lock a guy up for 4 yrs for that is ridiculous.

*************

What kind of people are we raising in this society that can’t see the justification for a prison sentence when you engage in violence against women??

How much prison time would be justified if Boston had beat the blazes out of your mother? Your sister? Your wife? Your daughter? He didn’t *just* punch her in the face, dude. He beat the living tar out of her by punching her in the face…go read the case summary.

I think there should be mandatory sentences for violence against women and children. Six months is a joke.

52. gdeli says: Dec 8, 2012 10:40 AM

Such a violent game and they know what they are in for. They just want the fame and $.

53. paulsmith107 says: Dec 8, 2012 10:50 AM

Lol the concussions and not the prolific steroid use has scrambled his brains. These players anymore are so lame. I’m sure concussions don’t help te brain even more so when you have used steroids for a period of time in your life.

54. 49erstim says: Dec 8, 2012 11:42 AM

@lifelongbrownsfan….. Absolutely correct! I’m getting sick of reading stories like this and then comments about how he didn’t “beat” her, just “punched” her. Ridiculous! No man EVER hits a woman EVER. This society becomes more sickening everyday.

55. brenenostler says: Dec 8, 2012 12:24 PM

Maybe Ryan Leaf should have tried using the concussion excuse. Although he probably didn’t last long enough in the NFL.

56. edithpiaf51 says: Dec 8, 2012 4:01 PM

A concussion does not make a man hit a woman