Doug Martin says he’s not hitting rookie wall

Tampa Bay Buccaneers v Denver Broncos Getty Images

Tampa Bay Buccaneers running back Doug Martin is well on his way to surpassing 300 carries in his first season in the NFL. Martin has come off two largely ineffective games against the Atlanta Falcons and Denver Broncos where he was held to under 60 yards rushing in both contests. While having never played more than 13 games in a season, it would be natural to assume Martin could be hitting the “rookie wall.”

According to Roy Cummings of the Tampa Tribune, Martin says he hasn’t hit that wall.

“That stuff about the rookie wall, I don’t feel that at all,” Martin said. “My body feels great and my mind is clear.”

Martin has been held to just 50 and 56 yards in his last two games against the Falcons and Broncos. What’s even more concerning for the Buccaneers is that he had ample opportunities in both games and failed to find production. Martin carried  21 times against Atlanta and 18 times against Denver, yet he averaged just 2.4 and 3.1 yards per carry, respectively.

But Martin is convinced it’s not some intangible wall affecting his performance. He’s confident that he’ll be able to bounce back and get on the right track again with just a couple minor adjustments.

“It has been a rough couple of weeks,” Martin said, “but all we need to do is get back in the film room, tweak some things and pay a little more attention to detail like we were and we’ll be just fine.”

For the season, Martin has carried 236 times for 1,106 yards and nine touchdowns. He’s also caught 32 passes for 374 yards and a touchdown for the Buccaneers.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
19 Responses to “Doug Martin says he’s not hitting rookie wall”
  1. bleedburgandyandgold says: Dec 7, 2012 12:48 AM

Rookie wall or not he’s still impressed me so far this year as a rookie.

2. lobzila says: Dec 7, 2012 1:05 AM

I wonder of much of these Rookie and Sophmore slumps come about because the other teams know more about the player there going up against now?
    Martin and Newton are prime examples of this. On Martin, the blocking schemes and his running did not get going for a couple of games and now that oposing teams have footage of him, they know how to prepare and put the correct personnel in place.
    But other teams, like my Chargers, don’t.

3. inkpad619 says: Dec 7, 2012 1:06 AM

This kid is a beast. Enjoyed watching him in college. ‘cept for when he ran for 129yds and 2tds vs SDSU. Surely an upgrade over Blount in the backfield

4. mdc21787 says: Dec 7, 2012 1:24 AM

alfred morris is better

5. arrogantnation says: Dec 7, 2012 3:30 AM

He’s had a great season.

6. enochmh2 says: Dec 7, 2012 4:59 AM

its just one of those overblown things,no one including all-pros can consistently have a top game week in week out

7. houseofbacon says: Dec 7, 2012 5:59 AM

The Broncos have one of the best defenses in the league, and the Falcons and Bucs always play hard against each other, rivalry style.

The dude’s at 1100 yards and 9TD’s, not including received yards or touchdowns. Everything’s gonna be okay.

8. sbaitso says: Dec 7, 2012 6:18 AM

Um… no, I would venture a guess that he’s just had 3 really good games all year and the rest were mediocre at best.

He has 524 (47%) of his yards against Minnesota, Oakland and Carolina. He also has 6 (60%) of his total TDs in those 3 games as well.

I’m not saying he’s had a bad year, but it’s not like he’s been consistenet with 100 yards and a td every week. Every game counts so in all he’s had a decent year but I don’t think his yearly stats are really an indication of his level of play this year.

Good, not a great year.

9. billsfan1 says: Dec 7, 2012 6:36 AM

Thats a pretty damn good rookie season- rookie wall or not..

drafted 31st.. This is why I would only in a few instances resign a RB to a huge contract. YOu can get production from anywhere at that position….

just to name a few: Fred Jackson (undrafted), Matt Forte (2nd), and so many more……..

10. buchopeful says: Dec 7, 2012 6:43 AM

My Man Doug! I need you this weekend..(playoffs ;) )

11. boneyardbuc says: Dec 7, 2012 7:17 AM

A) Doug is running behind a makeshift o-line decimated by injuries.

B) His big games were against middle-of-the-pack to lower rate teams.

He should bounce back against the Eagles.

He still had 98 yards from scrimmage against Denver and scored two td’s against Atlanta. He’s also being keyed on by defenses.

12. mikeyarch53 says: Dec 7, 2012 7:45 AM

Here’s a little FYI for y’all out there… My curiosity was getting to me , I wanted to find out the Record for most carries by a Rookie RB… So after searching I found out the Eric Dickerson has the record for most carries in a season for a rookie with 390 carries… Took a while to find it and after I found out I had to let the world know! Ha ! Enjoy your Info!

13. gotampabay52 says: Dec 7, 2012 8:16 AM

FYI he will get 90 carries over the next four games thanks for the info now back to win this weekend get the ship back on track

14. bucforever says: Dec 7, 2012 8:37 AM

Martin looks to be the best back the bucs have had since Mike Alstott. Just the threat of him has made the offense more unpredictable and tougher to game plan against. GO BUCS

15. boyshole25 says: Dec 7, 2012 8:45 AM

He and Alfred Morris are not gettin any attention for how great they are playing I would give the edge to Martin though because he is useful in the passing game where Morris isn’t even though Morris has the better ypc to date

16. playin2x says: Dec 7, 2012 9:04 AM

It’s fantasy playoffs baby .. You gotta step it up Martin

17. 7to10for6allday says: Dec 7, 2012 9:19 AM

Well, this week he faces the eagles, no walls there lol. I’m an eagles fan too but at this point go Martin for fantasy playoffs!

18. justwannawinna says: Dec 7, 2012 9:32 AM

Honestly this guy has a great future in the NFL reminds me of Tomlinson, small big enough to run through arm tackles andbad angles but also fast enough to take it all the way even in tight spaces.

19. larrydavid7000 says: Dec 7, 2012 4:42 PM

he’s no. Alfred Morris. Period. !!!!!!