Montgomery to appeal fine for defending himself

New York Giants' Joseph stomps on Washington Redskins' Montgomery during their NFL football game in Landover Reuters

Redskins center Will Montgomery was fined $10,000 for kicking Giants defensive tackle Linval Joseph, but he’s appealing on grounds of self defense.

Montgomery dove into a pile trying to recover a fumble, and Joseph grabbed him by the leg as if to pull him out. Montgomery mule-kicked back at him, and Joseph kicked him back. Joseph was flagged on the play.

I think I have to protect myself,” Montgomery said, via Rich Campbell of the Washington Times. “If the guy is dragging me across the ground and potentially twisting my ankle or whatever else, I’m not going to let the guy drag me across the ground. And I can’t push him, obviously, because I’m on the ground, so I used my leg to get him off me.”

Montgomery has a reasonable case, as someone (wearing a striped shirt) should have been there to keep Joseph’s hands (and feet) off him.

UPDATE 3:29 p.m. ET: According to USA Today‘s Mike Garafolo, Joseph was fined $7,875 for his role in the incident.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
11 Responses to “Montgomery to appeal fine for defending himself”
  1. knewton0583 says: Dec 7, 2012 3:25 PM

I’ve watched this play a few times and still don’t see where Joseph kicked him. He went to kick him yes, but you can clearly see he pulled back. As for Montgomery, he is right but the league sees what he did as a vicious act. Just imagine if this was Suh

2. rufustfireflyjr says: Dec 7, 2012 3:30 PM

If i’m in a pileup and an opposing player tries to drag me off by yanking on my leg, I’m going to try to free my leg by kicking at him, too. A totally understandable reaction and a totally bogus fine.

3. Mr. Wright 212 says: Dec 7, 2012 3:39 PM

He should have been ejected. Montgomery.

4. CrimsonTribe says: Dec 7, 2012 3:42 PM

How in the world is Joseph fined LESS than Montgomery here? Joseph is the one who grabbed Montgomery’s leg and started dragging him across the ground. Montgomery, in a prone position, reacted by defending himself. Joseph then attempted to kick/stomp Montgomery who was still on the ground in a prone position. How ridiculous.

5. cheddarrob says: Dec 7, 2012 3:44 PM

Good for him Joseph grabbed him by the leg and dragged him for a couple feet, he kicked to get him off. Then Joseph “Suhed” him and stomped on his arm/chest. If Joseph didn’t get a fine then Montgomery doesn’t deserve one. Yet more league bias against the Skins and for the Giants.

6. bears0492 says: Dec 7, 2012 4:06 PM

This is literally the most ridiculous fine I’ve seen. If someone is grabbing you by the legs and pulling you, you are in a completely vulnerable position. With his hands on the ground, he had no way of defending himself without using his legs.

And Linval gets fined less for his role in that? If Montgomery doesn’t win the appeal, the NFL is a joke.

7. clw1906 says: Dec 7, 2012 4:15 PM

knewton0583 says:
    Dec 7, 2012 3:25 PM

Not only did he kick him he pulled him by his leg. So I guess if someone slapped you across your face nothing should happen to them if they pulled back at the last minute. Sounds like you have some giants blue glasses on to me.

8. fakefranknunley says: Dec 7, 2012 5:11 PM

Clearly we don’t have the Lbs to match up with Sprolles and Graham this week and Brees seems to have our number.

9. gurnblanstonreturns says: Dec 7, 2012 5:46 PM

Unbelievable! Actually with the Goodell/Mara cabal – absolutely predictable! A player decides to attack a man by grabbing and yanking his foot from behind and dragging him across the field, and the man tries to free himself from the attack in the only way possible. The Mara Football League decides to fine the attacked player $10,000 for defending himself and to fine the attacking player $7,875 for failing to injure a division rival.

Fellow Redskins fans, we have been duped into our hatred of Jerry Jones above all others. In fact, Jerruh is a rival in a storied history of real football competition – Cowboys vs. Redskins – but, John Mara is the Devil!!! Hail!

10. cheddarrob says: Dec 7, 2012 5:46 PM

You should go back and watch it again….if you did watch it you will see a clear stomp at the end which is what he was flagged for in the first place. I saw it live and notice the stomp you can’t tell me you didn’t see the stomp after watching multiple replays.

11. chachooga says: Dec 7, 2012 6:25 PM

Sorry but this guy should not have been fined.

The league needs to do something about the way guys are pulling other guys out of a pile.

You aren’t allowed to trip. So you shouldn’t be allowed to pull a guy out of a pile by his legs. I am ok with the shoulder pad pull and all, but the the legs is too awkward…..I mean really wouldn’t you rather be punched in the helmet than drug up scorpion style out of a pile by your leg???

The Skins guy had every right to kick and should not have been fined…..Joseph was trying to take him wheelbarrow racing I am pretty sure.

Lame fine.