Jerry Jones: We are deeply saddened by the passing of Jerry Brown

Jerry Jones AP

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has released a statement confirming the death of Jerry Brown, a linebacker on the team’s practice squad.

“We are deeply saddened by the news of this accident and the passing of Jerry Brown,” Jones said. “Our hearts and prayers and deepest sympathies are with the members of Jerry’s family and all of those who knew him and loved him.”

Brown, a 25-year-old who played in one regular season game for the Colts this season before landing on the Cowboys’ practice squad, played his college football at Illinois, where he was a teammate of Cowboys nose tackle Josh Brent, who was driving the car in which Brown died this morning.

Brent was booked into the Irving City Jail on one count of intoxication manslaughter this morning, shortly after Brown died.

The Cowboys’ team plane is currently en route to Cincinnati, where the team’s game against the Bengals is expected to go on as scheduled.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
14 Responses to “Jerry Jones: We are deeply saddened by the passing of Jerry Brown”
  1. paytonsghost34 says: Dec 8, 2012 3:39 PM

Unreal tragedy – being an Illini myself a double shock. RIP Jerry.

2. grocerystorediva says: Dec 8, 2012 3:41 PM

Such a tragedy. My heart goes out to his family.

I don’t understand why we constantly hear these tragic stories! HIRE A DRIVER. My heart goes out, but honestly, I can’t say I feel anything for Mr. Brent, who decided to drive drunk (I assume because of the charge). I don’t get it. I really don’t.

Look, I like to go out and party as much as the next person, but I’ll be damned, if I don’t order a car or make sure I’m either walking or cabbing to/from my destination. GET IT TOGETHER PEOPLE. Unnecessary tragedy of a 25 year old man.

3. raiders4life says: Dec 8, 2012 3:50 PM

Second tragic Saturday in row for the NFL. The most tragic of all is both cases caused the lives of innocent people. What a shame!

4. rushg says: Dec 8, 2012 3:51 PM

RIP big FELLA!! A tragedy

5. mungman69 says: Dec 8, 2012 4:06 PM

Stupid people do stupid things.

6. hatetriot4life says: Dec 8, 2012 4:36 PM

terrible terrible rip fellow young 1 ….sad, the game must go on as planned n leave no time to mourn… I know just cus they are rich don’t mean they don’t do same things as common ppl every 1 drinks n a lot drive just cus they ain’t Ben caught or had an accident tragedy don’t mean u any better….. garret u best bring ur A game Sunday n lead my boys to victory for that young boy and give his family, the game ball

7. daknight93 says: Dec 8, 2012 4:48 PM

Sad Sad…Don’t ever drive intoxicated!! Too many lives have been lost over senseless acts like this, RIP Jerry Brown

8. tannethrill says: Dec 8, 2012 5:15 PM

Nothing good can come from being out at 4 am the day before a game.

9. icewalker946 says: Dec 8, 2012 5:24 PM

Amazing how they will soon outlaw kickoffs for player safety but still won’t punish with a powerful fist drunk drivers who kill with their vehicles.

Drive drunk: 365 days from conviction you can ask for reinstatement.

Drive drunk again: out of the league.

10. mungman69 says: Dec 8, 2012 5:50 PM

Game ball? A man is dead. Who gives a rat’s ass about a game ball?

11. gdeli says: Dec 8, 2012 6:21 PM

Let’s see if he serves 1 DAY in prison. Don’t forget this story. Lotta pain in those eyes, dang.

12. mikebrownfaux says: Dec 8, 2012 7:37 PM

To have Brent in every single huddle with you since training camp, and then for him to all of a sudden not be in the huddle with you, knowing he is in jail and what he is in jail for, would be a very surreal feeling.

13. mikellie says: Dec 8, 2012 8:47 PM

Brent wasn’t a starter, so he wasn’t in every huddle. He will never play another down in this league because he was charged with manslaughter and will be in jail for a very long time. He will definitely be released from the Cowboys on Monday.

14. CowboyErik says: Dec 8, 2012 10:02 PM

I wouldn’t be so sure he would be released on Monday, they could have done that today, instead they put Scandrick on IR inorder to promote a nose tackle as if or not knowing if Brent would play again, was surprised at the move since it was plain to see that a guy screwed up and got another guy killed; maybe the Cowboys couldn’t just cut the guy outright due to league rules or the new labor aggrement