King: At least seven players have turned in guns since Belcher incident

Belcher Getty Images

During Sunday’s edition of Football Night in America, Peter King of Sports Illustrated reported that, in the wake of last Saturday’s murder-suicide involving Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher, at least seven NFL players have turned in their guns to team security personnel.

According to King, at least one player surrendered multiple guns, telling the team that he doesn’t trust himself.

While seven isn’t a huge percentage of the total NFL players, it’s a start.

In the end, each player has to decide whether to have guns in his house and, if so, whether to remove the guns from the house.  These are decisions that each player has to make.

Permalink 47 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
47 Responses to “King: At least seven players have turned in guns since Belcher incident”
  1. herlies says: Dec 9, 2012 7:35 PM

Firearms are for the weak.

2. timbuttrum says: Dec 9, 2012 7:37 PM

If that player doesn’t trust himself, he needs to seek professional help. Surrendering guns, while noble, doesn’t do anything if an individual does not trust himself not to kill another human being.

3. realfann says: Dec 9, 2012 7:41 PM

“In the end, each player has to decide whether to have guns in his house and, if so, whether to remove the guns from the house. These are decisions that each player has to make”

I’m puzzled, has anyone suggested otherwise?

4. oaktown49er says: Dec 9, 2012 7:42 PM

Guns are an individual issue. Gun control is an on going argument in our nation but I’m happy to see that if players don’t feel comfortable they turn them in.

5. idriveamoped says: Dec 9, 2012 7:45 PM

I don’t like politics with my football, just stop.

6. cantankerous503 says: Dec 9, 2012 7:49 PM

A start to what? One bad apple doesn’t mean the whole orchard is bad.

7. hrmlss says: Dec 9, 2012 7:49 PM

I’ll take them if they don’t want them…..

8. nyyjetsknicks says: Dec 9, 2012 7:56 PM

idriveamoped says:
    Dec 9, 2012 7:45 PM
    I don’t like politics with my football, just stop.

____________________

I’m not seeing any political statement. This site is about the NFL and their players. A serious incident occurred and caused a reaction by NFL players.

9. rickyspanish says: Dec 9, 2012 7:59 PM

herlies

Get off the soapbox.

10. smithviking69 says: Dec 9, 2012 8:00 PM

Maybe all the criminals will turn in their guns too. If everybody turns in their guns, only criminals will have them.

11. seanb20124 says: Dec 9, 2012 8:01 PM

Turn them into who? At least sell them. No wonder these jocks are broke.

12. malekmj says: Dec 9, 2012 8:04 PM

And I did this from my iphone. Sorry for the typos

13. voiceofcommonsensesays says: Dec 9, 2012 8:04 PM

hrmlss says:Dec 9, 2012 7:49 PM

I’ll take them if they don’t want them…..

—————————————-
    I concur!

14. jikkle49 says: Dec 9, 2012 8:13 PM

I agree that if you don’t trust yourself then turning them in is great but if that’s the case then you have deeper issues if you think could go that far to shoot someone or yourself.

But I will say I’d be far more nervous of an NFL player killing someone with their car then their guns.

15. blackandbluedivision says: Dec 9, 2012 8:13 PM

I wonder how many of them are married with children, lol.

A happy wife is a happy home.

16. matckeeper says: Dec 9, 2012 8:17 PM

Its so interesting of a topic because I grew up in Central Wisconsin and just about everyone there owns multiple fire arms, mostly for hunting. But still, it is not uncommon for guns to be in homes….I never have owned one, but have seen them in many friends homes (safely stored).

Why is it such an issue for NFL players to have them? Can they not control themselves, and if so why not? I mean, there are very few gun related crimes in the area I grew up, they are a non-issue.

I guess I am a little confused

17. cherrybop says: Dec 9, 2012 8:18 PM

This is a very good thing. I hope more people do this.

18. pksullivanmph says: Dec 9, 2012 8:26 PM

I realize players can be sitting ducks sometimes (see Sean Taylor) but the consequences of having them handy is what happened last weekend. @footballady52 🏉

19. polmilfso says: Dec 9, 2012 8:29 PM

The media and the urban intellectual class have missed the fact that firearms ownership has become an ingrained facet of American culture over the past dozen years. The old stereotypes about gun owners being only rural, conservative, middle aged-to-senior, white and male are obsolete. If reporters, academics, and other members of the urban chattering class would get out more they might discover this.

20. maynardstool says: Dec 9, 2012 8:29 PM

So gun control will lessen crime? I mean I’m not really for or against gun control, but anybody that thinks trying to make owning guns illegal will lessen the crime/murder rate is delusional. Because that whole “war against drugs” campaign has worked out great for us as a nation!

21. bluewinger says: Dec 9, 2012 8:41 PM

So how many players will turn in their cars and alcohol after the cowboys incident?

22. patfic15 says: Dec 9, 2012 9:00 PM

@blue winger.
    Excellent point. Droves of sheep. If you have to turn in your gun because you don’t trust yourself, then you’ve made a good move.

23. eyeh8goodell says: Dec 9, 2012 9:08 PM

Ever wonder why all this stuff doesn’t happen in the NHL? I’ll let you guys figure it out. The responses would be too predictable if I say it.

24. huskersrock1 says: Dec 9, 2012 9:13 PM

Will gun control lessen crime? Of course! There was never any crime or murders before the invention of gun powder! DUH.

25. sparty0n says: Dec 9, 2012 9:29 PM

blackandbluedivision says:Dec 9, 2012 8:13 PM

I wonder how many of them are married with children, lol.

A happy wife is a happy home.
    ____________

@blackandbluedivision

AMEN!

26. benwobbles says: Dec 9, 2012 9:36 PM

Haha Plaxico should have turned in his gun too. Idiot disconnected football players. What a poor representation of the American public.

27. norcal031 says: Dec 9, 2012 9:57 PM

Herlies is so true. Guns were made for people with no fight skills and toughness. Point and click how manly is that……I have had a gun put in my face twice by punks who were too scared to fight me as men. The same two guys who without guns got their butts beat all over town. Then they come tough with guns………?????

28. bradwins says: Dec 9, 2012 10:14 PM

First of all, I don’t know why any of the commenters here would have a problem with people turning in their guns. I get that you might like guns, but people aren’t obligated to have them. It doesn’t make sense to be upset about them supposedly turning theirs in.

Secondly, though, Peter King is full of dookie. I don’t believe this report at all.

29. taintedsaints2009 says: Dec 9, 2012 10:21 PM

Well if guns are the problem and we need to turn them all in, then we should turn in our cars and alcohol in response to what happened in Dallas.

30. taintedsaints2009 says: Dec 9, 2012 10:22 PM

Eyeh8goodell

That says it all. Spot on.

31. Mr. Wright 212 says: Dec 9, 2012 11:10 PM

What is this all about? Are they being paid by some liberal special interest group to do this?

32. brownsalwaysrebuilding says: Dec 9, 2012 11:11 PM

Maybe some of these players have experienced some kind of confusion and are worried about the onset of dementia caused by traumatic head injuries leading themselves to take preventative measures to not hurt anybody they care about.

33. wrdtoyrmama says: Dec 9, 2012 11:28 PM

I see nothing wrong with those players that turned those guns in.
    These guys are under a lot of pressure, many of them are on painkillers, and Lord knows what else.
    And more than a couple of them have messy personal lives, with multiple girlfriends, or wives that they step out on.
    You have some that have never grown up, you toss in some alcohol, couple of guns on top of that tinderbox, and you get a tragedy like Jovan Belcher.

34. madnova says: Dec 9, 2012 11:49 PM

What it comes down to is, each player has to make this decision. And also, the decision is one that each player has to make.

35. Ridley Me This says: Dec 10, 2012 12:06 AM

Anyone who thinks there is a debate about gun control isn’t paying attention to washington. This is basically how it goes:

R: We don’t want Gun Control!
    D: Ok, we don’t care enough to fight for it; that’s why we let that bill that banned assault weapons expire even though it’s the only piece of gun control legislation we’ve ever passed.
    R: STOP TAKING AWAY OUR GUNS.

36. dartwick says: Dec 10, 2012 12:10 AM

herlies says: Dec 9, 2012 7:35 PM

“Firearms were created to kill human beings as quickly as possible, as cheap as possible, and with as little training/skill/experience as possible.

Firearms are for the weak.”

Ummm ya – I guess real men kill their families with swords and clubs.
    Get a clue.

37. denverscott says: Dec 10, 2012 12:11 AM

herlies says: Dec 9, 2012 7:35 PM

Firearms are for the weak.
    —————————————————-
    No fool, that would be salt peter, sulfer ect or amonium Nitrate with aluminumdut or deisel fuel. Way cheaper but you couldn’t hunt with it to feed your kids. Morons with simplistic views on firearms kill people. You owe your existence to guns in the home. Ask the British for their take on that.

38. anarchopurplism says: Dec 10, 2012 12:12 AM

The conversation should not be centered around guns.

It should focus on real factors like mental health, substance abuse, job stress, lifestyle adjustments, poverty, education (lack thereof), culture, anger management and relationship issues.

I am sick of liberals who think they “get it” as they totally miss fundamental issues. Talking about branches instead of the roots!?!

39. raiderinva says: Dec 10, 2012 12:14 AM

I honestly believe that my post are set on auto delete.

40. 49ersgiants4life says: Dec 10, 2012 12:32 AM

Peter king is an idiot I don’t believe a thing he says

41. TheWizard says: Dec 10, 2012 12:49 AM

A liberal weeps every time an honest person turns in a gun.

42. grudenthediva says: Dec 10, 2012 12:50 AM

” If reporters, academics, and other members of the urban chattering class would get out more they might discover this.”

Urban intellectuals, huh. Guess you’re trying to cover all your bases. That or you’re talking out your ass.

For such big bad firearm toting hardasses, I’ve never seen so many people go nancy boy or have their lower lips pucker once someone has the audacity to say that, if you choose to own a gun, store it and wield it responsibly. Nah, all you guys wanna act cowboy and act reckless. Cold dead hands, huh.

43. sdsockers says: Dec 10, 2012 2:07 AM

They don’t trust themselves with their own guns? What in the hell are they doing with guns in the first place if NOW they don’t trust themselves? Are these guys….sorry, MEN….getting more untrustworthy as they age?
    Unbelievable.
    Someone please suggest to them that they not drink any alcohol. Ever.

44. nomesayin says: Dec 10, 2012 2:17 AM

So, does this mean that the players will start turning in their cars too? Can they trust themselves to drive safely & not drink? Many of the cars are exotic. They are built to drive fast. Can the players trust themselves to resist that urge? Should there be a law which prohibits NFL players from owning fast cars?

“It’s a start”???!!! Am I to infer that Florio’s hoping that more players will turn ‘em in? Are you serious, or just shilling like Costas? “There’s too much gun violence”, the slender, girlie man cooed. If you think there’s too much violence now, wait ’til you see what happens once they get your guns.

Do NOT give up your guns, America. The day you do, you are at the mercy of tyrants. Your forefathers knew what it was like to live in tyranny under KG III (King George III). That’s why you have your 2nd amendment. That’s an integral part of your freedom.

Regards,
    Canada

45. viewsfromseat13 says: Dec 10, 2012 2:50 AM

Do commenters read the article or do they actually troll to try to create reaction?

a. This is NOT about gun control
    b. This is NOT about Politics
    c. This is NOT about being weak or strong
    d. This is NOT about urban vs rural

This is about 7 players making a decision where they decided that they are NOT responsible enough to handle the ability to own guns.

They should be commended for making their decision

It is that simple.

46. woodyc says: Dec 10, 2012 11:34 AM

Why should the players give up their guns? As long as they are responsible gun owners, there is nothing wrong with them owning a firearm.

47. haardcase says: Dec 10, 2012 11:59 AM

As a vocal Second Amendment defender and multiple gun owner, I think that if anybody feels that they might have an issue with responsibly handling their firearms, turning them over to a responsible party to maintain custody of them is an excellent decision and the right thing to do.

Putting myself in their shoes, if I decided that it was necessary to do just that, I’d take the next step and seek out some sort of treatment to help me find out why I was having that issue and to help me resolve it.