Tom Brady: I’m no RG3, but I can run for a first down

Houston Texans v New England Patriots Getty Images

Among the many big plays in the Patriots’ 42-14 destruction of the Texans, a six-yard run by Tom Brady barely registers. But Brady’s run on third-and-5 did extend a Patriots drive, and he was fired up and pumping his fist on the field. Afterward, Brady said he thinks he deserves some credit for his ability to make plays with his feet.

“I don’t run too often so I’ve got to show them I can still do it a little bit,” Brady said. “All the people out there, the opposing defenses that say I can’t run, at least they saw. I’m not a big threat, I’m not RG3 or anything, but I can make a first down.”

No, Brady is not a runner like Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III, who already has more career rushing yards than Brady: Griffin has 112 carries for 748 yards in 13 career games, while Brady has 399 carries for 737 yards in 174 career games.

But Brady was obviously happy to run for a first down on that play. And the Patriots were very happy in their locker room after a game in which they showed that they are, right now, the best team in the NFL.

Permalink 58 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
58 Responses to “Tom Brady: I’m no RG3, but I can run for a first down”
  1. killxswitch says: Dec 11, 2012 7:19 AM

Was this said tongue in cheek or is Brady really this pathetic?

2. formuk says: Dec 11, 2012 7:23 AM

Yes, best team in NFL that lost to the Arizona Cardinals in week 2.

~_~

3. steelersownyou says: Dec 11, 2012 7:25 AM

He better get used to running. Cause if he ever has to play a real defense like the #1 ranked Pittsburgh steelers, he will be running for his life!!!

4. juliodamfoolio says: Dec 11, 2012 7:28 AM

“after a game in which they showed that they are, right now, the best team in the NFL.”

(sigh)…As much as I hate to say it, I guess I have to agree with that…(sigh)…

5. sourdoughsam says: Dec 11, 2012 7:33 AM

I see a new trend eclipsing the current one of young athletic QB’s. Older, semi-athletic QB’s are the wave of the future. Kudos to the Browns for having the foresight to snatch up Brandon Weeden in the first round.

6. pens5829 says: Dec 11, 2012 7:36 AM

What a classless whiny punk. Gonna be fun to watch him go down again in the playoffs.

7. wimperd says: Dec 11, 2012 7:42 AM

When I see Brady take off I allways hold my breath and pray that he doesn’t get hurt.

I think that’s why the entire stadium was even more happy when he got up and turned out to be ok.

Credit to the Texans D though, they didn’t make it look like they were trying to hit him harder when he took off, just stop him and not hurt him, while I sometimes see defenders take the opportunity and crush a QB when they have the chance.

8. Beezo-Doo-doo-Zippity-Bop-bop-bop says: Dec 11, 2012 7:47 AM

This guy has got to be the most jealous, insecure player in the history of the NFL. He just can’t stand not being the talk of the town. Last year it was Tebow, this year RGIII. Got news for you Tom, you’re old news, your team cheated during your “glory years”, and you choke in the post season. Some of us enjoy the new faces and would just as soon forget about you prima donna’s.

9. skinsgal4life says: Dec 11, 2012 7:48 AM

I can’t believe how many of you are criticizing Brady for his comment. Have a sense of humor, people! Brady meant that he can run when he has to, and isn’t as flashy or as fast as RGIII. I love Brady–he’s one of the best ever. I hope that he gets another ring before he retires–unless he’s facing my ‘Skins in a year or two!

10. phazard says: Dec 11, 2012 7:55 AM

Its a good day when one of the top QBs in the league uses a Washington Redskins QB as a benchmark for ANYTHING

11. baddegg says: Dec 11, 2012 7:57 AM

Oh my god…Brady ran the ball! They better quit having him run or they will lose him for the season! Al’s o, lord knows if the q b runs, you will not win a super bowl, since it is written in the nfl bylaws: mobile abs will never win a sb.

Let this be a warning to you all.

12. doublezero74 says: Dec 11, 2012 7:59 AM

He said it in jest, relax. He’s always self deprecating when it comes to his running. He’s slow and he’s completely aware of it. “Classes whiny punk” sounds more like the commenter who wrote it

13. maven2222 says: Dec 11, 2012 8:02 AM

That press conference was funny. He wasn’t whining – it was all tongue-in-cheek

14. canetic says: Dec 11, 2012 8:11 AM

I’m no Warren Buffett but I can invest in a stock.

15. clipper325 says: Dec 11, 2012 8:21 AM

pens5829 says:
    Dec 11, 2012 7:36 AM

————————————————-

uhhh, did i miss something? “classless whiny punk”. okay… someones a little sensitive and clearly doesn’t understand sarcasm or that Brady was poking fun at himself while also giving props to RGIII. Chillax dude, go grab a spritzer or something.

16. zappa69 says: Dec 11, 2012 8:22 AM

Why are ALL stealer fans idiots? Is it breeding? When you take your biggest dumbest boy and marry him to a big dumb-a$$ woman you end up with more stealer fans. Please, stop getting plastered on bad canned beer and reproducing.
    Signed,
    Everyone

17. dexterismyhero says: Dec 11, 2012 8:25 AM

@steelersownyou says:Dec 11, 2012 7:25 AM

=================================
    Can we say the Browns, Raiders, & Chargers stat man?

18. logicalvoicesays says: Dec 11, 2012 8:28 AM

Everyone wants to be like Robert Griffin.

19. flash1283 says: Dec 11, 2012 8:28 AM

Beezo-Doo-doo-Zippity-Bop-bop-bop says:
    Dec 11, 2012 7:47 AM

Seems the only “jealous, insecure” person here is you!

20. luckyarmpit says: Dec 11, 2012 8:29 AM

Yes, Brady really is that pathetic. I had to mute the TV before halftime because I was nauseated by Gruden’s constant gushing over Brady and Wilfork. I wondered why my dog started licking the walls in the living room and that’s because of the sugar that was dripping down them.

21. boomnutz says: Dec 11, 2012 8:32 AM

Brady and the Patriots just absolutely killed it and the haters are still the first ones to comment… Instead of hating just appreciate. You’re fortunate enough to watch one of the all time greats playing as well as ever.

22. truefootballinsight says: Dec 11, 2012 8:40 AM

The entire defense was fined 15,000 and the team an additional 400,000 because they played defense, and almost hurt Brady.

23. lflib69 says: Dec 11, 2012 8:48 AM

pens5829 says:
    Dec 11, 2012 7:36 AM

Calling the Kettle Black is not recommended here…it just shows your envy.

24. ajb3313 says: Dec 11, 2012 9:03 AM

Man, have sports fans always been so bitter? It was self-deprecating. Brady (and Manning) have always made little cracks like this at themselves for their running ability.

I remember being a kid and watching in awe of Joe Montana and Dan Marino (the reason I’m a Dolphins fan). If there was a good player on television, my grandfather would make sure I watched whether they played for his favorite team (the 49ers) or not. These days, it seems like fans just want to hate on the best players rather than watch and enjoy their greatness. It’s strange to me. Isn’t it more fun to enjoy something than to watch it hatefully? You can still root against them, but to call Brady “pathetic” is just asinine.

Like, if you don’t like that commentators gush about Tom Brady, that’s fine. But that’s not Tom Brady’s fault just like it isn’t Tebow’s fault that ESPN dedicates all their network time to them. Hate the media if you want, but don’t let that stuff get in the way of watching some of the greatest quarterbacking the game has ever seen.

25. patsfan13 says: Dec 11, 2012 9:06 AM

Pittsburg is called steel town, but from the comments made by their fans, I think they ingested too much lead. Too bad the Patriots won’t get a chance to shut them up, as there is not way they will play them this year.

26. weepingjebus says: Dec 11, 2012 9:08 AM

He said this in the post-game press conference and was clearly laughing about it when someone asked him about the run. Lighten up, people.

27. qmcg296 says: Dec 11, 2012 9:09 AM

I bet Brady wished he had rg3′s passer rating too

28. hehateme2 says: Dec 11, 2012 9:14 AM

More like “hobble” for a first down. Whatever… he’ll never get style points for sure.

29. patriotenvy says: Dec 11, 2012 9:19 AM

Brady just solidified that when Peyton gets the MVP again it is going to the wrong person again.

30. brazzz01 says: Dec 11, 2012 9:25 AM

The tears of bitter Patriot haters taste SO sweet.

31. abel660 says: Dec 11, 2012 9:25 AM

Steelersownyou idk where you get your stats but the steelers defense isnt number 1 especially after they got manhandled by phillip rivers they are number 4

32. brazzz01 says: Dec 11, 2012 9:29 AM

Steelers.

You mean that team that wasn’t even good enough to beat the Browns and got waxed at home by the Chargers?

Those guys are going to beat the Patriots? LOL

33. patsfiend says: Dec 11, 2012 9:42 AM

More proof that the haters will cry about anything Tom does… Even just a little joke. Boooo hoooo.

34. scjohnny says: Dec 11, 2012 9:47 AM

So typical Steelersownyou to run off about someone else’s team when your #1 D got embarrassed @ home to a team playing out the string under a lame duck coach,My team is in direct competition with Pats & I hate NE, that being said if you meet them in the playoffsI hope they put up 50 on your #1 D.And please stop with the we got 6 how many do you have bs!

35. glac1 says: Dec 11, 2012 9:54 AM

I don’t think his legs will win them the trophy. He looked like an injured duck…. but his arm should be enough to get the job done.

36. azarkhan says: Dec 11, 2012 9:54 AM

Wow, a lot of Brady haters here. If you guys ever need to know the definition of the word “petty”, just look in a mirror.

37. jicjak says: Dec 11, 2012 10:06 AM

They are the best team with GB breathing down their necks. Denver and the Giants aren’t too shabby either.

38. aidendude51010 says: Dec 11, 2012 10:20 AM

Seriously? Steelers? Actually the team the Patriots are going to dismantle next happens to be the #1 defense….49ers. So watch and learn rookies

39. samurai3939 says: Dec 11, 2012 10:23 AM

Clearly a lot of pats haters did not see sports enter this am, where they aired
    This quote, and it was clearly in jest.

40. aidendude51010 says: Dec 11, 2012 10:24 AM

And are people seriously comparing RGIII to Brady? Let’s let RGIII grow up and play a little football for more than 4 months before we start comparing. That’s like comparing sex with masturbation. The two don’t compare. Silence!

41. conormacleod says: Dec 11, 2012 10:31 AM

I hate Brady and I hate the Patriots. Of course, my hatred is just pure jealousy because they are so damn good when compared to my team. Crap. Now I hate myself for admitting that.

42. golonger says: Dec 11, 2012 10:42 AM

Conversly, RGIII could say, “I am not Tom Brady but I can throw a little, read defenses a little, run a gimmicky, no-upside offense a little, audible a little”…RGIII has the legs, Brady has everything else! Anyone that thinks Brady shouldn’t be considered for MVP is nuts!

43. richwizl says: Dec 11, 2012 10:43 AM

Steve Young stated that Brady is the best QB of his generation, bar none.

44. anthonykornheiser says: Dec 11, 2012 10:52 AM

Giants fan here. Wow, a lot of you are really odd, it’s almost pathetic. Getting riled up because Tom Brady made a joke. Who are you people? “The guy is a complete loser” he owns multiple rings, he’s married to one of the hottest women ever, owns mansions in LA and Mass, a brownstone in the west village and on top of it all, hes one of the greatest QB’s ever. The guy is a good story, came in unhyped, a late round pick, couldnt even start in college until the end. There are too many of you haters and sensitive people. The good thing about the old days were there weren’t these sites so every ridiculous person can sound like a fool. I enjoy listening to my father, grandfather etc speak so highly about guys like Mays, Mantle etc. People we couldn’t get the chance to see and appreciate. Brady will fall into that category years from now. Or when people talk about classic games, i can hear some of you morons, “ohh eli is a stupid younger brother he threw a hailmary hes stupid he has a look on his face” i mean are you kidding? brady makes a joke and all these rg3 fans come out and go nuts. settle down. Some of you steeler fans 30 yrs from now, fat and slobby with your big ben jerseys on ,living in gloomy pittsburgh whining about brady and his hot wife, mansions and records…give me a break. the guy was kidding.you can hate the pats, but the guy is a great player and one of the all time greats and is still at a high level pushing 35.

45. jcdavey2011 says: Dec 11, 2012 11:03 AM

pats are definitely playing the best football right now in the nfl, and there’s no reason to think they won’t be in the superbowl again

but i still get the feeling they can tank it, just from the blown close games they’ve had this year

46. kate773 says: Dec 11, 2012 11:05 AM

As has been several times in this thread, the guy was kidding. If you watch the video, he was making fun of himself, and laughing while doing it. Lighten up, people. You see a thread with Tom Brady in the title and you immediately just have to get your digs in. Relax.

47. veraky says: Dec 11, 2012 11:15 AM

I usually think Brady’s a pretty solid guy, but he looked like a d-bag when he ran the 5 yards and then proceeded to act like he just ran 50 for a touchdown. I get it, you’re excited you kept a drive alive but he made much better plays during the game where he didn’t make himself look like an idiot afterwards, just an odd moment overall and un Brady like.

48. crusty14 says: Dec 11, 2012 11:30 AM

Steelers fan here. First don’t lump us all together! Trust me, I love seeing the pats ( or ravens!) lose, but I appreciate talent when I see it. The problem here is that the writer of this article makes it sound as if Tom came out and said ” hey look at me , I ran the ball, give me some credit! ”

Now most normal humans would think he was joking , or it was taken out of context, but unfortunately there are plenty of knuckleheads on this forum. I see the same haters come out when the media reports a big Ben injury, and all the idiots on here think that Ben goes to them to tell the reporters how he feels!

Anyway, pats are looking strong, hope my steelers get there crap together and play some consistent ball down the stretch.

49. patsfan13 says: Dec 11, 2012 12:00 PM

hey steelers own you. I’m a little confused. what is the Steelers record against the Patriots since Brady took over at QB? The Steelers can’t even rent the Patriots.

50. TeamBalco says: Dec 11, 2012 12:05 PM

Brady made a similar comment a few years back. But, in reference to Mike Vick.

51. CKL says: Dec 11, 2012 12:16 PM

Best comment ever from a slow QB talking about his running skills was when Leftwich called himself “Michael Brick”. LOL

One think I like about TB is that despite his outward appearance and all his trappings, he still has a little bit of that geeky awkward dork inside him and he lets it out sometimes.

I cannot believe the Pats won when BB didn’t have his ratty hoodie on! That never happens!

52. rushmatic says: Dec 11, 2012 1:00 PM

veraky says:

______________

It’s unBradylike because he doesn’t often have a chance to engage the same crowds that look at him like a god. He took it. It’s not typical of him, but as a fan, I like it. Can you really not see this?

53. folkcrusader says: Dec 11, 2012 1:23 PM

I thought he might get splattered, but the tackler gave him an easy shove. Pretty much anyone can run when defenders will be penalized if they hit you.

54. steelersownyou says: Dec 11, 2012 1:25 PM

Brady got ownedlast year by the Steelers. You guys have amnesia or something!!!

55. azarkhan says: Dec 11, 2012 1:42 PM

steelersownyou: Brady got ownedlast year by the Steelers. You guys have amnesia or something!!!
    —-

So now Brady is 6-2 vs. the Steelers. Grow up.

56. ravenseattheirownpoop says: Dec 11, 2012 4:50 PM

I’m a Steelers fan and I dislike the Patriots. However, I’m man enough to say the Tom Brady is THE bes quarterback that the NFL has seen in a long long time. I respect the heck out of that guy.

57. brazzz01 says: Dec 12, 2012 10:19 AM

“Brady got ownedlast year by the Steelers. You guys have amnesia or something!!!”

Funny that a Steeler fan would want to pound their chest about last year especially with the way last year ended for them. You really wanna go there?

58. bigblackanvil says: Dec 12, 2012 12:33 PM

Brady was kidding around. Why do people hate him so much. Brady has that killer instinct. the Patriots have that killer instinct. That’s what make them one of the best. You get a team down..YOU keep piling on them. It destroys all hope of that the called “comeback”…HTTR !!!!!