Brandon Marshall says he doesn’t like the Packers

Tramon Williams  Charles Woodson  Brandon Marshall AP

You can’t accuse Brandon Marshall of sand-bagging.

The Bears wide receiver said Wednesday this week’s game against the Packers was “personal” and the “biggest game of my career.”

The Packers held Marshall to just two catches for 24 yards in Week Two, and he’s been waiting for the rematch ever since.

He also accused Packers players of not showing respect to him or his teammates.

“I don’t like the Green Bay Packers,” Marshall said, via Lindsay Jones of USA Today. “I’m not going to use the word ‘hate,’ but I really dislike the Packers and their players.

“But you know what? The talk has to back it up. We’ll go out there and do everything we have to do to get a win.”

Marshall, who carried a Charlie Brown Christmas tree with him to the podium, apparently to illustrate the disrespect, didn’t specify what the Packers did that made him angry. “You’ll have to go on Google or something,” he said.

But he made it clear he didn’t think the Packers stopped him one-on-one.

“I’m looking forward to one-on-one coverage. Hopefully, those guys, in a game like this, will go to their coach and say, ‘Let me have him. I want Brandon Marshall. I want to stop Brandon Marshall.’ Let’s see what happens.”

Frankly, if any of the Packers players did so, they should be fined for stupidity, given Marshall’s success (101 catches, 1,342 yards) and the Bears’ lack of a complementary target.

Permalink 50 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
50 Responses to “Brandon Marshall says he doesn’t like the Packers”
  1. sincitycheeze says: Dec 12, 2012 2:54 PM

Really???? Another Bear player talking about the Packers before the game.Didn’t they learn thier lesson in September?

2. zoellner25 says: Dec 12, 2012 2:56 PM

Wow, dude, get a clue. We picked Cutler off 4x in the first meeting. Show up and play but shut your mouth. I love how us Packer fans don’t have guys like this on our team.

3. fhsparty26 says: Dec 12, 2012 2:56 PM

Yeah, okay. I fully expect Dom Capers to heed Marshall’s warning and give him only press coverage so they can spend their time defending the likes of Kellen Davis, Devin Hester, and Alshon Jeffery. Hilarious. Maybe if he could catch a touchdown in Week 2, the game is different.

4. almighty1 says: Dec 12, 2012 2:57 PM

I for one don’t care what they said, just as long as they double and triple team him once again and secure the division.

5. wludford says: Dec 12, 2012 2:57 PM

Packers will double-team or triple-team Marshall. He’s as big a part of the Bears offense right now as Adrian Peterson is for the Vikings’.

My guess is he still has a better game than earlier this year against the Packers. But the Bears need other players to step-up if they are going to beat GB. Matt Forte in particular, but the Bears defense needs to get back to generating turnovers.

Bad weather, if it comes into play, will help the Bears.

6. gregm5s7 says: Dec 12, 2012 2:58 PM

I think he’s referring to Charles Woodson saying something to the effect of “There’s no Calvin Johnson on that team”.

That was after the win, when leading up to the game I think Cutler (may have been Marshall) said Green Bay couldn’t stop their large physical WR’s and “good luck” to the secondary trying to stop Marshall & Jeffery

So you have a response to a snippy comment by Cutler, and that’s what Marshall is PO’d about. It’s clear to beat the bears you take Marshall out of the equation it gets tough REAL fast for them (as inferred in the above article) so I agree and expect safty help or Casey Hayward to be in his area

7. dv5454 says: Dec 12, 2012 2:59 PM

Oldest rivalry in football. Love every ounce of these comments. I don’t like the Bears or their fans, but I do respect them. That’s the difference between the Packers Bear and Packers Vikings rivalry.

-Packers fan.

8. vickspuppy says: Dec 12, 2012 3:02 PM

Dumbest. Player. Ever.

9. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Dec 12, 2012 3:02 PM

Why in the world would they not double and triple team him? It’s not like the Packer’s secondary has anything else to do…might have to put one guy on Hester, the rest can just run free, they’re terrible.

10. vcstriker16 says: Dec 12, 2012 3:02 PM

A player on one team doesn’t like their biggest rival.

I’m floored.

11. bobnelsonjr says: Dec 12, 2012 3:03 PM

2 catches for 24 yards.

That kind of respect is earned.

12. jjh1982 says: Dec 12, 2012 3:03 PM

BM is good but his stats would be average if it wasn’t for him being the only target the bears have had decades

13. perno13 says: Dec 12, 2012 3:07 PM

I love having Brandon Marshall on the Bears, he’s hilarious.

14. dino2997 says: Dec 12, 2012 3:10 PM

Love it. Enough of the sissy NFL. It’s nice to see a player acknowledge he dislikes another team.

15. tokyosandblaster says: Dec 12, 2012 3:13 PM

Wow. I’m sure Green Bay cares what Brandon Marshall says.

After all, his history of Championships speaks for itself.

16. endzonepete says: Dec 12, 2012 3:16 PM

A collective sigh was just heard over Chicago. Giving more motivation to a team that has owned you. Brilliant…

17. xerocc says: Dec 12, 2012 3:16 PM

yeah I can’t imagine liking the team you can’t figure out how to beat

18. iowahbr says: Dec 12, 2012 3:17 PM

So what if Brandon doesn’t like pistachio ice cream either? In both cases there will be 3 to 5 throws to him that could also be intercepted this weekend by the Packers and when the announcers claim that Jay has the arm to put it through a very tiny window the score will still be Packers 31 Bears 10 and Lovie will still say that the Bears play-off game plan has not changed.

19. mute617 says: Dec 12, 2012 3:18 PM

A healthy Jeffery is a solid complimentary target

20. anactualnflowner says: Dec 12, 2012 3:26 PM

Life lesson to anyone who wants to listen:

When you get your butt kicked by someone, wait until you’ve returned the favor to trash talk. Otherwise you look very STUPID…

As you were…

PS Interesting fact: I remember him dropping a catchable touchdown pass the first game.

21. denverdude7 says: Dec 12, 2012 3:26 PM

Triple team Brandon (The Mouth of the North) Marshall and knock Jay Cutler into the middle of next week.

After all, isn’t this the time of year the Bad News Bears go into hibernation anyway?

22. frezfram says: Dec 12, 2012 3:27 PM

Maybe he does not like the Packers because the Packers keep beating the Bears. How many years has it been since the Bears beat the Packers? The first meeting in 2010?
    I think if you want respect, you shut up and play. I’ve watched the Bears a couple of times this year, they are just not as good a team as (seem to) they think they are. And the Bears also have to face the fact that Urlacher is heart and soul of that team, without him they looked flat in Minnesota. With the Packers finally finding their run/pass balance, and Woodson and Mathews back, the Bears are going to be in for a tough match up.
    But I am sure that everyone will still respect Brandon on Monday morning.

23. mjkelly77 says: Dec 12, 2012 3:35 PM

Brandon Marshall says he doesn’t like the Packers
    __________________

Nobody does.

24. hurrayforyogapants says: Dec 12, 2012 3:39 PM

I went to google but just found videos of him dropping easy TD passes…

25. tformation says: Dec 12, 2012 3:42 PM

As a Bears fan, shut up, Brandon!

Talk like this AFTER you’ve beaten the Packers. Doing this before makes you look like Jay did earlier this year: FOOLISH.

Love my Bears, and love you Brandon, but seriously, shut up, man.

26. hehateme2 says: Dec 12, 2012 3:44 PM

Brandon Marshall is mentally inbalanced…. that is all.

27. mymorningstory says: Dec 12, 2012 3:45 PM

“Frankly, if any of the Packers players did so, they should be fined for stupidity”

Best line I heard all day!

28. shaggytoodle says: Dec 12, 2012 3:46 PM

I think its a reference to Tramon Williams. I recall when the Cards came to town, he complimented Fitzgerald about being faster, and gets on top of a guy with speed. Not pushing.

Either way I am amazed at Brandon Marshall. He is a flat out beast, I respect his game a ton.

Their best catchers after him are a RB and Rookie and a DB. I think that has been catching up with the Bears later in the season.

29. tyde4481 says: Dec 12, 2012 3:47 PM

Brandon Marshall drops easy touchdowns because he doesn’t like Jay Cutler.

30. faultylogic29 says: Dec 12, 2012 3:49 PM

I love it. I’m so very glad a Bears loudmouth opened his mouth before Finley. I have a feeling this is going to be a hard-hitting game on Sunday. Clay Matthews will be meeting Cutler in the backfield soon enough. To quote the great Bart Scott, “Can’t wait!”

31. harrisonhits2 says: Dec 12, 2012 3:50 PM

Hey Marshall, you might want to ask Andre Johnson about talking about “biggest games” before you actually play them.

32. supremekingz says: Dec 12, 2012 3:51 PM

I remember it well. Charles Woodson said the Bears receivers were nothing to fear. He said they don’t have any receivers that are a threat speed-wise to get behind them

33. whatjusthapped says: Dec 12, 2012 3:51 PM

Brandon Marshall could have caught more passes in the first game if Cutler would stop throwing INT’s.

That should be #1 on his list of Not Likes!

Well that and not winning the game. The Bears are in their annual free fall from the playoffs and Marshall isn’t going to like that either.

34. greatfootballmind says: Dec 12, 2012 3:55 PM

Simply shocking headline.

In other news, the Red Sox don’t like the Yankees.

I’ll give you all a minute to let that sink in…

35. annes22 says: Dec 12, 2012 3:56 PM

Brandon speaks a load of rubbish again. Just wait for the Packers to “get even” with him, he cannot
    help himself, and talk about loosing games all of a sudden. Better look over your shoulder Brandon, because they will be watching you this time.
    Shut your big mouth.

36. ccjcsr says: Dec 12, 2012 4:10 PM

Bears don’t make the playoffs!

37. johngaltwho says: Dec 12, 2012 4:14 PM

Amazing that guys like Brandon Marshall cant let their play do the talking. He and Finley should hang out together. That having been said – as a receiver, Marshall does have great hands – you can see them working their magic every time he uses them to push off the defender.

38. granadafan says: Dec 12, 2012 4:22 PM

Was this the bad Brandon Marshall or the good Brandon Marshall speaking? If he didn’t take his bipolar meds then he can be excused for this crazy talk.

39. otis52gsh says: Dec 12, 2012 4:25 PM

Hey Brandon here is an idea. Shut up and play. You were clearly dominated by the packers D last game. Why can’t you guys ever learn to let your play do the talking. I didn’t want you coming here, and comments like this are exactly why.

40. deltaoracle says: Dec 12, 2012 4:37 PM

I expect Marshall to have a much better game in what should be a real alley fight. I also expect the Packers to find a way to win.

41. wafflestomp says: Dec 12, 2012 4:46 PM

dv5454 says:Dec 12, 2012 2:59 PM

I love this comment. Couldn’t have said it better myself. Nobody in the NFC North respects the vikes, nor do they care what their logic challenged fans have to say.

As for Marshall, let him spout off. Cutler did it before their first meeting and had to eat his words.
    Let’s get real, it’s what true rivalries are all about. This game is not going to be decided by locker room interviews, but on the field. It will probably be one of your typical knock down, drag out fights. Like we’ve seen so many times before.

Chicago needs this game a little more, but hopefully Green Bay still prevails. I could honestly see this game going either way.

BTW, love the fact he brought a Charlie Brown tree with him to the podium.
    Classic!!!

42. axespray says: Dec 12, 2012 5:24 PM

At least he didn’t do what we did and talk about how “They didn’t beat us – we beat ourselves.”

That’s something the 2010 Packers would never think of saying – we got too hollywood in 2011.

43. edwinmoses says: Dec 12, 2012 6:32 PM

Looks like I have something in common w/ Marshall

44. larryboodry says: Dec 12, 2012 6:40 PM

As for Marshall, without him and Cutler the Bearswould have no offense whatsoever…And Hell, it’s good to see SOMEONE on the Bears showing some fire, since Lovie never has.

45. filthymcnasty1 says: Dec 12, 2012 6:46 PM

“I didn’t beat double and triple coverage or whatever they were throwing at me,” Marshall said. “I take it as a slap in my face when guys are talking about my lack of ability to do something against them when they have help all over the place.”

And by help all over the place, I assume he’s referring to Cutler helping the Packers by throwing 4 picks in the first meeting.

46. purpleguy says: Dec 12, 2012 7:00 PM

So Packer fans don’t respect the Vikings or the Pack/Vikes rivalry, but instead favor a rivalry that’s been going on with 50 years more history and closer proximity to each teams’ primary population centers — how completely unexpected, illogical and crushing to our purple soul here in MN. Like we give a rip about “biggest rivalry” — what is this 4th grade? One things Vikings fans at least have is perspective.

47. filthymcnasty1 says: Dec 12, 2012 8:29 PM

purpleguy says: Dec 12, 2012 7:00 PM

“One things Vikings fans at least have is perspective.”

Well I suppose going 0-4 in Superbowls will do that.

48. packerbacker12 says: Dec 12, 2012 10:42 PM

I love how Marshall says the Packers disrespected him and his teammates the last time they met when actually Cutler was the one who started the whole ordeal and the Packers responded by demolishing them.

If you can’t handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

49. ruvelligwebuike says: Dec 13, 2012 12:12 PM

The guy has caught 101 passes already. He’s a beast. Plus the fact that he brought up the Charlie Brown X-mas tree shows some personality. I like it.

Of course, it won’t matter because the Green Bay Packers own the NFC North and other teams should ask permission from the Packers brass to even have the opportunity to mention their name.

50. purpleisaprettycolor says: Dec 13, 2012 3:43 PM

I’m not gonna say I hate it, but I really dislike Borderline Personality Disorder. It causes random outbursts of idiocy in a certain Chicago football player.