Garrett floored by forgiveness shown by Jerry Brown’s mother

Josh Brent AP

The memorial service for former Cowboys linebacker Jerry Brown was moving for the team at many levels.

But Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said he was amazed by the compassion shown by Brown’s mother, Stacey Jackson.

After losing her son in a one-car wreck for which Cowboys nose tackle Josh Brent was arrested for intoxication manslaughter, Jackson invited Brent to ride with her to the memorial service.

Brent and Brown were friends and teammates at Illinois, and Brown was staying with Brent after being signed to the Cowboys’ practice squad. Brent’s free on $500,000 bond, and faces up to 20 years in prison if convicted.

“It was as remarkable a thing as I’ve ever seen in my life to be honest with you,” Garrett said of Jackson, via Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “I spoke to her after the game and got a chance to visit with her prior to the memorial. And the strength that demonstrates, the faith that she has, her ability to understand and have peace in this situation so quickly is remarkable. She’s been a rock for everybody, and she was again yesterday. And she really was remarkable.

“And you can tell that she has so much love, and her family has so much love for Josh, and there’s been a real connection there for a long time. The closeness they’ve had since they were together at Illinois and since they’ve been down here. She loves and cares about him very much. She, too, wants to support him in any way that she can, along with us and everybody here at the Cowboys.

“Again, it was remarkable. She’s a really, really strong woman. A special woman, in light of these circumstances. It’s like nothing I’ve ever seen.”

There’s no reason, other than an incredible capacity for forgiveness, for Jackson to have ever spoken to Brent again.

At her time of great pain, she opened her heart to the man who caused it, showing a strength many would not have in a similar situation.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
27 Responses to “Garrett floored by forgiveness shown by Jerry Brown’s mother”
  1. bergencountyjc says: Dec 12, 2012 2:25 PM

No matter what the outcome of his future court experience will be, this guy definitely has a lifetime sentence. Sad.

2. eatitfanboy says: Dec 12, 2012 2:27 PM

I realize it’s standard journalistic practice to say what the “maximum” sentence someone is that faces for a crime, but I don’t think anyone in the world believes that Brent is going to get anywhere near 20 years in prison for this.

3. gixrider says: Dec 12, 2012 2:29 PM

Forgiveness liberates the giver as well as the recipient.

4. billsfaninmiami says: Dec 12, 2012 2:30 PM

The lessonslearned!
    Dont get behind the wheel when you’re tore.
    Unconditional Love and compassion.

Pass it on.

5. Beezo-Doo-doo-Zippity-Bop-bop-bop says: Dec 12, 2012 2:34 PM

They were best friends, almost brothers from the sound of it. He is not the first person to make that mistake and she realizes that. Heck on a different night maybe Brown would have been the one driving drunk. It’s not like he killed him on purpose and she knows to start hating someone else she loves will not bring him back. Is that so hard to understand.

6. coreydemoss says: Dec 12, 2012 2:36 PM

This is a pretty incredible woman. It almost makes me feel even more sad that a woman this kind-hearted had to bury her son. She obviously doesn’t deserve that kind of sadness.

7. godofwine330 says: Dec 12, 2012 2:37 PM

For her to feel and act as she does is the true meaning of what a human being should be. I can only hope that if placed in the same circumstances that I could have been as forgiving. In the end, I believe that I could. Having been young, and dumb and full of suds riding with someone just as yound, dumb and full of it as I was I am lucky to be here today as many of you are.

The pain that he currently feels cannot be measured, and I can only hope that the law does not feel it must make him pay too much more for something he will suffer for for the entirety of his lifetime. Losing a friend isn’t easy, but losing a friend and it was your fault could drive the man to take his own life. Though I know that is what some of you, and likely some of his family believe, that is not what Jerry Brown’s mother wants and that should hold a lot of weight.

8. larryboodry says: Dec 12, 2012 2:38 PM

That is indeed remarkable strength by Brown’s mom…Not sure I’d be that strong if it was my kid that got killed.

9. jcspiggle says: Dec 12, 2012 2:39 PM

Matthew 6:14-15

10. brianjoates says: Dec 12, 2012 2:41 PM

These were two very close friends, not just two teammates. They both made a terrible mistake and it cost one person their life. Brent will live with this forever, replaying it over and over in his head, barely finding time to not have thoughts of the accident. Brown’s family knows this was an accident, sure they have to be upset, but are they going to punish Brent aswell emotionally? Everyone knows he is going to pay for his actions in the court system and hopefully he comes out the other side teaching young men about the consequences of making the terrible decision to drink and drive.

11. cwwgk says: Dec 12, 2012 2:43 PM

I have been immensely humbled by this woman.

12. sfm073 says: Dec 12, 2012 2:43 PM

I see very little difference between getting behind the wheel when drunk and riding as the passenger with someone drunk driving. He made a bad decision and it cost him his life. Lets not pretend the driver is evil and the passenger was completely innocent.

13. bamasleeper13 says: Dec 12, 2012 2:45 PM

Incredible. I have two sons and I can’t imagine her pain but to do that is amazing. Brent will never be the same. After this forgiveness I hope he does something important with the rest of his life.

14. nokoolaidcowboy says: Dec 12, 2012 2:53 PM

Dwayne Goodrich got out early last year and did 8 years.

Once again we are left hoping that EVERYONE understands that drinking and driving don’t mix.

15. jjbadd385 says: Dec 12, 2012 2:54 PM

Its certainly one small detail that is overlooked in most cases like this. While Brent made a mistake by driving intoxicated, it could have just as easily been Brown driving. Its so very sad that it happened, but Brown also made the choice to ride as a passenger, with someone who wasn’t in any condition to drive. I’ve often said that there are times, that the world should not always be looking to place “blame” one someone. It solves nothing and benefits noone.

16. albertmn says: Dec 12, 2012 2:57 PM

I hope that Brent is getting counselling or something along those lines. I can’t begin to imagine the grief and guilt that he is feeling through all of this.

I also hope people are there for Brown’s mother. She may be the “rock” so far. I’ve seen that before when a spouse or parent stands strong through the arrangements and the services. But, she will need people there for her once everyone goes their way. A while after my father-in-law passed, my mother-in-law said the week or so after the death go by so quickly, and there are a lot of people around helping out and checking on you. It is the weeks after that, in the empty house, when they have time to think and remember that can be just as difficult as those first few days.

17. doorharp11 says: Dec 12, 2012 3:02 PM

She showed love in this situation and she can be a rock for everyone else going through this problem our american society has created. We have a problem with alcohol and it needs to be addressed because we will still go down this blurred american path of abuse on alcohol. In a town near mine 3 people just died in one accident because they got in a car with a drunk individual and now he is serving 8 years in the pen.

18. Sarcasm says: Dec 12, 2012 3:16 PM

She has more strength than I have. God bless her.

19. waxthat says: Dec 12, 2012 3:19 PM

20. modellforprez says: Dec 12, 2012 4:03 PM

speechless!

21. bigd9484 says: Dec 12, 2012 4:15 PM

Seriously, there are reporters there taking pictures? They should have some respect for themselves and others. How ridiculous.

22. sabatimus says: Dec 12, 2012 4:17 PM

gixrider says:
    Dec 12, 2012 2:29 PM
    Forgiveness liberates the giver as well as the recipient.

————-

Could not have said it better. Forgiveness is one of the hardest things to do when one has been hurt–particularly like this. I don’t think my mom would be able to forgive if this happened to any of her children.

23. larryboodry says: Dec 12, 2012 4:27 PM

waxthat says: Dec 12, 2012 3:19 PM

“if only we as a human race could have this kind of compassion for our fellow brothers and sisters. this story is very sad and difficult to read about…i wish the best for both families involved.”

Amen…Sad that 11 of our fellow brothers and sisters chose to dislike your excellent post, and that so many other posts showing compassion are somehow offendind some folks..

24. edithpiaf51 says: Dec 12, 2012 6:48 PM

The mother is an incredibly strong woman and I just pray that people keep supporting her. She showed great compassion as it says in the Bible, that we need to forgive and sometimes it is very difficult to do so. God bless this lady, she is an incredible woman. God bless her and my prayers go out to her.

25. TD Hawk says: Dec 12, 2012 6:51 PM

Those without faith cannot understand, those who believe appreciate how absolution and atonement set free following even the worst experience.

26. j0esixpack says: Dec 12, 2012 7:48 PM

Wow. What a truly breathtaking example of forgiveness that none here should ever forget.

I’m not sure if it was my loved one if I could do the same, but I think Mrs. Jackson is an amazing person to be able to understand, at this time of pain, that two lives were destroyed that night.

Perhaps Brent will dedicate his own life to attempt to make amends as a result of this gesture.

27. sexyrexyfeet says: Dec 12, 2012 7:58 PM

I see a few of you guys are off course. This isn’t about punishment for Brent or his bad decision. It’s a lesson in being the best a person can possibly be. Wow.