Goodell says Thursday football doesn’t put players at risk

Goodell AP

Many have questioned whether the proliferation of Thursday football can be reconciled with the league’s unprecedented sensitivity to safety.  Some think it can’t.

Commissioner Roger Goodell believes it can.

More accurately, he has yet to be persuaded that it doesn’t.

“We don’t have any information that indicates from our data that playing on Thursdays in any way decreases the safety of our players,” Goodell told the media after the conclusion of Wednesday’s quarterly ownership meetings.  “The injury rates do not indicate that at all over the years.  So I think we start with facts, and the facts are that that’s not a risk to the players.”

Some would say “facts” should yield to common sense and anecdotal evidence, which comes for example from accounts of players regarding the challenge inherent to preparing for an NFL game only four days after the last one.

Regardless, the players have agreed to the expanded use of Thursday night football.  And so it will remain part of the game until the NFL and the NFLPA agree to stop doing it.

Permalink 102 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
102 Responses to “Goodell says Thursday football doesn’t put players at risk”
  1. brewcrewfan54 says: Dec 12, 2012 9:32 PM

Says the guy not getting hit.

2. nolahxc says: Dec 12, 2012 9:32 PM

Goodall says that mostly because he has no idea what he’s talking about.

3. nolahxc says: Dec 12, 2012 9:32 PM

Goodell*

4. bh83 says: Dec 12, 2012 9:33 PM

I forgot, Goodell played in the NFL for the….. Oh wait he played D1 college football at…… This is like my mechanic telling me I have a torn rotator cuff.

5. bubbahotepp says: Dec 12, 2012 9:34 PM

Roger Goodell needs an enema.

6. j0esixpack says: Dec 12, 2012 9:35 PM

Yeah, but he also declared “victory” following Tagliabue’s ruling – so I’m not sure how much stock we can put in this statement.

7. jackers252 says: Dec 12, 2012 9:35 PM

Isn’t that the same line the league originally used with the early concussion facts?

8. dilberry says: Dec 12, 2012 9:35 PM

“So I think we start with facts, and the facts are that that’s not a risk to the players.”

———————————————————-

I don’t think now is the best time for Goodell to be spouting off “Facts”.

9. ketch20too says: Dec 12, 2012 9:36 PM

anyone else think he is swirling out of control and soon to be cut loose?

10. letmesetyoustraight says: Dec 12, 2012 9:39 PM

Roger can proclaim to be the advocate of player safety, but pushing for an 18 game season, Thursday games, and possibly expanding the playoffs shows that it is all about maximizing NFL profits. At some point enough is enough.

In light of his other screw-ups of late, it is time for the owners to wise up and send him packing. I doubt they will do it, but losing billions in the ongoing lawsuits may open the owners eyes.

11. peytonwantsaflag says: Dec 12, 2012 9:39 PM

Increased “challenge” does not at all equate with increased danger. Goodell is right

12. mcwest1 says: Dec 12, 2012 9:40 PM

I’ve been advocating for all teams to play Thursday Night games for the last 4 years. But…………all teams should have 2 by weeks. Their regular bye week and a bye before their Thursday Night game. This would expand the season to 18 weeks which would give TV an extra week of broadcast. And take away the extra advantage of the home team.

Having a bye before the Thursday Night game followed by 10 days off would also give injured players extra time to heal, maybe allowing to the best players on the field for more games.

13. pens5829 says: Dec 12, 2012 9:40 PM

Moron.

14. strokeytheclown says: Dec 12, 2012 9:40 PM

No but it put the fans at risk while watching it, kinda like the warning labels on meds. “Do not watch this game while doing anything!”

15. mazblast says: Dec 12, 2012 9:42 PM

That should say “the league’s unprecedented pretense of sensitivity to safety while pursuing maximum dollars”. Anything coming out of the mouth of The Great Roger Goodell Himself Live And In Person is suspect until proven correct.

16. omegalh says: Dec 12, 2012 9:42 PM

Why isn’t it on tuesday instead?

17. pickney1 says: Dec 12, 2012 9:42 PM

The “facts” only fit when they support the shield’s argument. There is no doubt that Thursday night games are taxing on a player.

The Nfl are one of the hypocrites going talking about player safety only because former players are now suing the league, while wanting to rid the league of kickoffs and cut players job on one of the most exciting plays in the league.

18. mikebrownfaux says: Dec 12, 2012 9:44 PM

This is really easy, in December move the Thursday Night Games to Saturday Night. No college ball, and it’s when fatigue is really settling in for a lot of teams.

19. rrobbyrob says: Dec 12, 2012 9:45 PM

“…little to no credibility with the players.”

20. AlanSaysYo says: Dec 12, 2012 9:45 PM

OK, if the players aren’t getting hurt more because of Thursday games (which I do not believe), how about the ridiculous competitive imbalance for the road team on a short week? The NFL should mandate that all the Thursday road teams in 2012 get a Thursday home game in 2013.

21. northeastkiller says: Dec 12, 2012 9:46 PM

According to the LA Times study, the Saints’ “injury rate” over 2009-2011 was last in the league save the San Diego Chargers. Guess those “facts” weren’t worth starting with.

22. therealjr says: Dec 12, 2012 9:46 PM

Every year for as long as we can remember the Lions and Cowboys played one Thursday game without anyone mentioning injuries being a factor. All the league is asking for is the rest of the league to do the same.

A bigger problem is the dilution of the Sunday schedule, especially with bye weeks and a disproportionate number of games on at 1pm Sunday.

23. sportsfan240 says: Dec 12, 2012 9:46 PM

As a fan, I love Thursday Night Football. It’s another day out of the week we get to watch the NFL. With that being said, you have to be delusional if you really think it doesn’t put players at a greater risk of getting hurt. A game 4 days after another game? Next thing you know we’re gonna see this guy saying a team in London would flourish also….. oh wait..

24. whatchutalkinabouthillis says: Dec 12, 2012 9:48 PM

I’m surprised that his pupils are not actually dollar signs.

25. fafaflunky says: Dec 12, 2012 9:48 PM

sunday and monday is fine with me..guess he doesnt have a 8 to 5 to go to the next day..

26. msclemons67 says: Dec 12, 2012 9:49 PM

Later Goodell claimed that water is dry and the sky is orange.

27. ilovefoolsball says: Dec 12, 2012 9:49 PM

I personally enjoy having a Thursday night game to watch if I so choose but it’s just ignorant of Goodell to act like it doesn’t have an effect on player safety.

28. purplengold says: Dec 12, 2012 9:49 PM

The people who actually know what playing Sunday and then the following Thursday do to their bodies are the players.

29. umdke says: Dec 12, 2012 9:50 PM

Oh shut up. Just resign already, you hack.

30. cooklynn17 says: Dec 12, 2012 9:50 PM

I think one game a week on Thursday night football is fun and kind of cool. A good way to get amped up and primed for the week.

31. pleasefirecam says: Dec 12, 2012 9:51 PM

Goodell is a moron, Ravens played 3 games in 17 days to start the season….you want proof, look at their injury totals these days.

32. niners816 says: Dec 12, 2012 9:52 PM

I used to like Goodell once..I don’t know what I was thinking.

33. lilrob10201 says: Dec 12, 2012 9:54 PM

Doesn’t any football put players at risk ?

34. billyrocket says: Dec 12, 2012 9:54 PM

He has to go.

35. manningbowl88 says: Dec 12, 2012 9:55 PM

im one of goodells harshest critics and even i fail to realize how it puts a player at more risk just bec the day is labeled thurs and not sun lol still has 2 be played regardless of what day it lands on.. and i act like TNF..another day of.. football!

36. hansenbrothers says: Dec 12, 2012 9:56 PM

…because it makes him money

37. thefirstsmilergrogan says: Dec 12, 2012 9:56 PM

he also said the replacement refs were equivalent.

38. TIB says: Dec 12, 2012 9:56 PM

even tho I like the idea of Thursday night football- I think the NFL could do more to include teams coming off byes or atleast say if a team plays the week before it has to be a 1 start- cuz its not like the Thursday matchups have been all that riveting

39. treesloth16 says: Dec 12, 2012 9:56 PM

Something tells me this is what the greedy owners think. They’ll never get rid of Goodell because he is their lapdog.

40. logicalvoicesays says: Dec 12, 2012 10:00 PM

In the words of Warren Sapp…”Put a Jersey on!”

41. silvercutlery says: Dec 12, 2012 10:00 PM

This is not my idea by any stretch, but as a few have floated, why not have teams on a BYE the week before they play on Thursday?

42. dalucks says: Dec 12, 2012 10:00 PM

I wonder did he get that information from the same book that said concussions are not a serious issue.
    I hope these are the last few days of Roger Goodell as the commissioner of the NFL.
    I wonder if Roger loses the defamation lawsuit to Jonathan Vilma, would that be the final nail in his coffin?

43. jncrdn says: Dec 12, 2012 10:00 PM

So I’m suppose to sit here and believe that the same person who is trying to eliminate kickoffs because of how dangerous it is to players health is also telling me that a player who just played a game 4 days ago isn’t endangering himself ? Most players don’t even feel good enough to walk till Thursday but yet it’s safe to play . Goodell is a bum who is ruining the sport I love and making himself look like an idiot with this bounty case

44. rocketcrab says: Dec 12, 2012 10:01 PM

Um…Earth to Roger…….TNF is almost as dumb as putting a team in London.

45. dirtysouthironmen says: Dec 12, 2012 10:01 PM

I am so accustomed to Thursday Night football it would be tough to give it up now. Then again I feel pretty safe on my couch but it is not about my safety.

46. bricktop02 says: Dec 12, 2012 10:01 PM

Stop the Thursday night games and put the super bowl back on the last Sunday in January. If its not broken leave it alone.

47. hoetoronto says: Dec 12, 2012 10:03 PM

Can anyone PLEASE tell me what Tagliabue has to do with any of this, and what his findings mean?!! I’m serious. I haven’t heard of ONE outlet that properly explains what power he has and why his ruling has an impact. If he is the previous commish, then why the heck does what he opined even matter?! It’s as if a Judge asks a retired judge to make a ruling (from my perspective). Please, I am reaching out for an explanation. Thanks.

48. Cereal says: Dec 12, 2012 10:03 PM

Did Goodell ever play pro football ? I think I’ll take the players word for it

49. kisstherings says: Dec 12, 2012 10:03 PM

You are such a buzz kill dude. Thursday night football is awesome. Get over it.

50. blacknole08 says: Dec 12, 2012 10:04 PM

I don’t see any problems with playing Thursday night games as long as the two competing teams play in the same time zones. (I.e. cardinals play rams in st. Louis, broncos play raiders in oakland).

I’m glad the nfl schedule makers fixed that this season. Eagles didn’t stand a chance last season having to travel to the west coast and play seattle after getting destroyed at home against the Pas.

51. blacknole08 says: Dec 12, 2012 10:04 PM

I’m glad the nfl schedule makers fixed that this season. Eagles didn’t stand a chance last season having to travel to the west coast and play seattle after getting destroyed at home against the Pats.

52. dannyabramowitz says: Dec 12, 2012 10:08 PM

This guy can’t be that dumb can he?

Let’s see, 18-game season, check, 16 playoff teams, check, no kickoffs, check, no hard hitting, check, baseless bounty accusations, check, team in London, check, Super Bowl overseas, check, now Thursday games no added risk, check.

Conclusion — he is that dumb.

53. bleedgreenation says: Dec 12, 2012 10:09 PM

If the players agreed to it then they can’t complain. Simple as that.

54. pencepost says: Dec 12, 2012 10:11 PM

Why don’t they just schedule the Thursday night teams to have their bye the previous weekend?

55. r81ders says: Dec 12, 2012 10:12 PM

They are watering down the NFL for more money to play Thursday. Keep it sundays and mondays. That way they can keep monday the good prime game. I got to much during the week to stop on Thursday.

56. superputman says: Dec 12, 2012 10:12 PM

I think there should be an NFL football game on every day of the week for the entire regular season.

57. gabe77 says: Dec 12, 2012 10:15 PM

I don’t like it and I’ll be at the game tomorrow night. It’s brutal for fantasy football too. Do away with it Roger, please.

58. tmcb7 says: Dec 12, 2012 10:20 PM

I’ll believe him when….. monkey’s fly out my butt!

59. turfrage says: Dec 12, 2012 10:25 PM

They then get extra days off after. All washes out in the end. There is no proof any more injuries happen due to Thursdays. Stupid argument.

60. tincansailor981 says: Dec 12, 2012 10:25 PM

How this butt hole manages to stay employed is beyond my comprehension.

61. jarmstrg says: Dec 12, 2012 10:28 PM

The Harvard College Sports Analysis Collective recently studied the issue of injuries and Thursday football and also found no added danger to players.

62. noring4youstill says: Dec 12, 2012 10:29 PM

And now this POS is going to let our coach come back

63. padraighansen says: Dec 12, 2012 10:31 PM

He’ll change his tune in a few years when he’s being deposed under oath. It’s all about the money, and validity, of the NFL Network. Period, end of story.

For the NFL to get their network on “basic” cable without it being a premium pay channel, they had to create sufficient demand for it in the market – hence 16 regular season, prime-time games on Thursday nights. Make no mistake about it – that is all it is.

64. stonedwhitetrash says: Dec 12, 2012 10:32 PM

Most Pro Football players would as Adam “Pacman” Jones stated about himself “Either be dead or in prison without Pro Football” So please try to earn that money.

65. letmesetyoustraight says: Dec 12, 2012 10:33 PM

66. tunescribe says: Dec 12, 2012 10:36 PM

I so wish the owners would dump this clueless stuffed shirt.

67. eatitfanboy says: Dec 12, 2012 10:37 PM

Um, no, facts are facts. If the numbers say that players aren’t getting disproportionately injured on Thursday nights, then they’re not.

Why doesn’t anyone talk about the fact that teams that play Thursdays get 9 days off before their next game?

68. bobby927 says: Dec 12, 2012 10:38 PM

Instead of Thursday games, they should play two Monday Night games every week. They do on the first week of the season and it seems to work.

69. aldavisisthenfl says: Dec 12, 2012 10:41 PM

Roger is a doody head…

70. norwegianwud says: Dec 12, 2012 10:44 PM

Do away with Thursday Night! Like every other working stiff, I get up early and can’t stay up to watch the whole game on Monday, let alone Thursday, and expect to function the next day. It blow up teams practice and injury recovery schedules. Gives unfair advantages in unexpected weeks. Only advantage NFL and NFL Network. Why it won’t change… LONG TERM CONTRACTS W/ CABLE AND SAT. I know people are watching but what the only reason is because that is when it’s fed. Pavlov’s Dog. Ring the bell…

71. 49ersgiants4life says: Dec 12, 2012 10:44 PM

The home team wins the game 65% of the time and most of the time the away team wins it is because the home team is a lesser opponent ie the broncos beat the raiders last week. So basically if its between evenly matched teams the home team will win

72. norwegianwud says: Dec 12, 2012 10:47 PM

I should have proof read my comments! WOW!

73. SparkyGump says: Dec 12, 2012 10:50 PM

Through their greed, the NFL team owners risk killing their golden goose. What fools.

74. thebigcaptain2011 says: Dec 12, 2012 10:51 PM

Are these ”facts” from the same place you got your ”bounty evidence” from? Look, I don’t even like the Saints but this was handled about as poorly as anything I’ve seen in pro sports outside of the NHL lockout and the replacement refs.

75. justintuckrule says: Dec 12, 2012 10:51 PM

I’m convinced that he’s incapable of saying or doing anything correctly.

76. joe400e says: Dec 12, 2012 10:53 PM

If Goodell wants to help with players safety then maybe he should with this-
    Since January 2000, NFL players have been arrested at least 624 times on various charges, including 42 times this year, according to data compiled by USA TODAY Sports.
    Of those 624 arrests, 177 (28%) were arrested because they were suspected of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
    Despite the league’s various attempts to stop the problem, it remains the single-biggest criminal issue in the NFL.
    Nothing else comes close. Nothing else has been more deadly.

77. jnovi86 says: Dec 12, 2012 10:54 PM

Next year I’m going to name my fantasy team name Darth Goodell and as comissioner I’ll impose a lot of dumb rules that dont make sense, impose penalties on teams for no reason, then make dumb comments to everyone. then when everyone demands i step down I’ll just claim im making the league better

78. chi01town says: Dec 12, 2012 10:54 PM

Why would anybody agree with anything this slug says? Football is played on SUNDAY and Monday nights. the players need rest and time to heal… its a rough game out there. The NFLPA needs to start trying to get rid of Goodell BEFORE HE GET RID OF THE NFL

79. joe400e says: Dec 12, 2012 10:55 PM

I meant to say “maybe he should start with this”

80. cags777 says: Dec 12, 2012 10:57 PM

What a load of crap. We had a cornerback break his arm on a Thursday night following a Sunday game. Granted the tackle would have ended with the same result had it been a Sunday. But to say this is not an issue of player safety is a bit disingenuous. It should also be pointed out that most NFL fans aren’t engaged with Thursday Night Football as Sunday and Monday Night Football.

81. wludford says: Dec 12, 2012 11:05 PM

Roger Goodell is CEO of NFL Inc. His job is to increase the bottom-line for owners, and market the product as best he can, and put a good face on the business when it comes to public relations.

That’s not what an NFL commissioner’s job should be, or what the game needs, but that is what it has become.

Most of the changes the league has made over the past 20 years have fattened the paychecks of owners (GB excepted :)) and players at the expense of the game and its fans.

Thursday night games are just another in a long list of sacrificing the game to increase revenue.

How many head coaches like Thursday night games? Zero. No time to prepare, no time to rest players. They could have added another Sunday night game, but that wouldn’t add as much TV revenue.

There was a time between the 1970s and roughly the early- to mid- 1990s when the game was at its best- because the rules made it that way. Teams that won the Super Bowl or were top contenders were actually complete, balanced teams- could run or pass well, played good defense.

Since then, the game has been cheapened into more of a flag football contest between QBs and less of a team sport. Outcomes are increasingly decided by jump balls and bad calls, and there is often a disconnect between the play on the field and the score of the game.

Then of course there are the other problems:

1. Outrageous player salaries and off-the-field conduct…

2. One-dimensional, otherwise mediocre, throw-away Super Bowl champion teams…

3. A host of other franchises that can never compete because they don’t have a good QB…

4. Stupid lock-outs and referee strikes…

…The list goes on.

I think its time to give the NFL the ultimate wake-up call:

BOYCOTT THE SUPER BOWL

82. realfootballfan says: Dec 12, 2012 11:06 PM

Well, Goodell is an idiot. There’s a simple solution if owners are intent on squeezing the cash cow by adding this horrible product that hasn’t produced one memorable game this year, simply give every team a bye the week before their Thursday game appearance. That way, every team gets to appear on the NFL network, you stop risking players’ careers for a cash grab, and the quality of the games would go up since both teams would be coming in fresh off of 9 or 10 day layoffs.

The Lions and Cowboys would of course get the same bye every year, but that’s their tradition that I’m sure they won’t give up. There’s actually the perfect number of teams to get this done with the first week following the Thursday kickofff game and the final week being the obvious skips if the league insists on doing this.

Then, there’s the more logical solution of getting rid of these games all together.

83. brianjoates says: Dec 12, 2012 11:08 PM

Not really a fan of the Thursday Night games. I like the games on Sunday and one Monday Night.
    The league should really look into adjusting the start times of the Thursday and Monday night game based on who is playing. Two East coast teams should not start near 9pm east coast.

84. wludford says: Dec 12, 2012 11:37 PM

At the end of the day, there are a lot of owners looking to turn a profit when they sell the franchise and have billion-dollar stadiums to pay for (or at least part of the cost). At the same time, players want more and more and more too.

Neither the NFL or the NFLPA are looking out for what’s best for the game of football.

Boycotting the Super Bowl would send a message to the NFL unlike any other in the history of professional sports.

It’s time.

85. anacherforester says: Dec 12, 2012 11:43 PM

“losing billions in the ongoing lawsuits may open the owners eyes.”

The League will never, ever lose billions in lawsuits regardless of their merit. Who do you think can afford the best lawyers, the NFL or anyone else?

86. dannythebisforbeast says: Dec 12, 2012 11:52 PM

Roger I challenge you to a fight this Sunday. After we get done beating the crap out of each other, or more likely I get done beating the crap out of you, we’re going to have a rematch. Tell me would you rather the rematch be 4 days later or 7 days later? What an idiot. The players ALL say how difficult it is to recover so quickly. Will go down as worst commissioner the NFL ever had

87. packfaninvikeland says: Dec 13, 2012 1:31 AM

show him the data that proves him wrong..

88. wolfmanpatriot says: Dec 13, 2012 5:24 AM

———————————————

OK, so you don’t ‘have’ any information. At any time, did you ever RECEIVE any information should be the question.

89. FinFan68 says: Dec 13, 2012 6:05 AM

It’s bad for the game and for the players. Less time to heal and less time to prepare mean the product is not as good as it could/should be. The only positive is increased revenue from another prime time game. The money always wins. The changes over the last several years are ruining the game.

90. walterappledorf says: Dec 13, 2012 6:19 AM

The owners really need to get rid of Goodell and hire a new commissioner that will get rid of Thursday night games, shelve the idea of an 18 game season, halt the spread of international games, provide financing, staffing and rule changes that allow for appropriate medical care for players . . . and most importantly, stop using hard water when simonizing the owner’s grandkid’s BMW’s. It’s so embarrassing for a 16 year-old to drive a Porsche or Beemer to school with streaks on the finish. Dammit Roger!!!!

91. hodag54501 says: Dec 13, 2012 6:29 AM

Most of you forget a few points:

1)Goodell is the paid mouthpiece for the owners. The owners act like gods.

2)The NFL didn’t give a **** about player safety until they started getting sued.

3)Thursday football is all about money. More revenue for the owners at the player’s health expense.

4)The owners form their own network, then use the money given them by the commercial networks(billions of dollars) to form what will be a competing network to the networks that just paid them billions of dollars.

This is the nose of the camel under the tent. They want ALL of the games on the NFL Network and you will either pay per game or not see it. That is the game plan. You can deny it, but you won’t when the camel poops on your Sundays.

92. steelers88 says: Dec 13, 2012 6:42 AM

Sure Godell you just want money in your big wallet.

93. pgh15212 says: Dec 13, 2012 7:42 AM

I guess Goodell knows more about playing the game than players like Ray Lewis!

94. a55hol says: Dec 13, 2012 7:44 AM

For years, all you heard was that the Lions and Cowboys had an advantage by playing on Thanksgiving Thursday because of the time off afterward. Now that we have Thursday games, its a “disadvantage” because of the short week of practice prior to that. Funny how it’s an advantage to the teams you dont like, but when your team has to play a Thursday game, all of a sudden its a disadvantage. Leave Thursday games alone, its the only excuse I have to get out of the house and go to BWW’s with the guys midweek.

95. lawyermalloy says: Dec 13, 2012 8:03 AM

They should have asked each individual player.
    What’s so difficult is when the Union, as an entity, agrees to certain things in the heat of negotiating. I don’t believe that player safety was ever part of the conversation in the “give and take” that occurs at the negotiating table.
    Former players I have talked to indicate that a document circulates in the locker room, via email et al. asking that the player sign his name allowing the union to act for them. For small issues like expanding the schedule or Thursday play don’t ask for player approval. The players are partially responsible for their fate for granting the Union unfettered authority to act for them.

96. wikipediasaidso says: Dec 13, 2012 8:04 AM

===================

Oh, sure. All the teams that already complain when they get stuck with the week 4 (too early) or week 10 (too late) bye would just love to see even earlier and later byes possible.

The expanded Thursday slate is a scheduling nightmare no matter what you do. It’s too hard to make it fair. I like watching NFL games as much as anyone but to me it’s just a money-grab for the NFL, which wasn’t exactly struggling before. I can’t believe the NFLPA agreed to it. I wouldn’t really miss it, especially if they just brought back the late-season Saturday games after college TV contracts are done.

97. bigredscouting says: Dec 13, 2012 8:22 AM

There is no way Goodell will ever admit this. Their broadcast team is terrible and NFL Network is garbage beyond Rich Eisen and any broadcast with Faulk, Irvin, and Sanders together. Thursday football is for thanksgiving only. But much like everything else Goodell does, its another bad idea.

98. hardrockfootballfanatic says: Dec 13, 2012 10:43 AM

The answer is simple. Add a second bye week to the season. Allow that plays on a Sunday to not have another game until Thursday night, a week and half later. After they play that game, they get a second bye week.

99. rcali says: Dec 13, 2012 12:19 PM

Let’s not let the truth get in the way of profits.

100. baileyxroader says: Dec 13, 2012 6:42 PM

How is this guy still Commissioner? Has he watched any Thursday night games? Its a terrible product on Thursday. Players haven’t recovered from the last game and that leads to injuries. I love watching the NFL, but leave Thursday nights to the colleges as the NFL the play on the field is sloppy.

101. Deb says: Dec 14, 2012 5:21 PM

Is Goodell using actual hard data now to assess the impact of Thursday night games on injury stats? Does that mean he’s also using data to assess the impact of his fining programs on injury stats? Is he going to share this data with the public so we can all see the numbers?

102. Deb says: Dec 14, 2012 6:53 PM

So … the commissioner says he has data to assess the impact of Thursday night games on injury stats? Does that mean he’s also using data to assess the impact of his “safety” measures on injury stats? Is he going to share this data with the public so we can all see how well his programs are working?