Robert Griffin III: I did enough to feel confident

Griffin Reuters

After returning to the practice field on Wednesday, Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III said he feels good about making a quick return from the knee injury he suffered on Sunday.

I did enough to give myself the confidence to push it tomorrow and on Friday,” Griffin said, via CSNWashington.com. “It’s just about getting confidence back in it. And I plan on getting confidence back in it relatively quickly.”

Griffin said his injured knee has rapidly improved.

“It’s gotten better every day, which is a positive sign for me,” he said. “Sunday night I thought there was probably no chance that I could play the next week. Monday morning I felt better about it. Yesterday, I felt better about it. And today, I feel really good about it. It just depends on whether I continue to progress the way that I am.”

Both Griffin and Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said they don’t want to force the Browns to prepare for both Griffin and backup Kirk Cousins on Sunday, and therefore they’re not going to tell the Browns whether Griffin is ready to play. But Griffin sure sounds ready.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
35 Responses to “Robert Griffin III: I did enough to feel confident”
  1. huskersrock1 says: Dec 12, 2012 3:36 PM

I agree, stick him out there so he can take more hits.

2. tyde4481 says: Dec 12, 2012 3:36 PM

Too much RG3 coverage! Come on PFT, you know that Jay Cutler’s facial expressions are your bread and butter!!

3. rhinosteel6 says: Dec 12, 2012 3:39 PM

He will be out of the league in about 5 years because of the constant hits..

4. wolfpack152 says: Dec 12, 2012 3:41 PM

I worry about his longevity – fun to watch though.

5. firesnyder says: Dec 12, 2012 3:43 PM

Too much RG3 coverage!
    ————

Come on! Everyone knows that Griff is now the face of the NFL.

6. buffalobills2012 says: Dec 12, 2012 3:47 PM

dumb. Dudes like 13 games into his career and hes had a major concussion and a banged up knee…this guy will be out of football by 25 yrs old. Take a seat and heal bro.

7. vince703 says: Dec 12, 2012 3:48 PM

If he wants to play let him play. It’s just funny how some people don’t want him to play, because they know he gives the redskins the best chance to win.

8. raaz227httr says: Dec 12, 2012 3:53 PM

Sorry browns fans..

9. skinsfan87 says: Dec 12, 2012 4:00 PM

Let him sit this week, Cousins can get us through the Browns game…. it’s more important to have him ready for the divisional games against Eagles & Cowgirls the following weeks.

10. savocabol1 says: Dec 12, 2012 4:02 PM

Why would you not want to have to force another team to prepare for two different people? What has the NFL become?

11. tiger2471 says: Dec 12, 2012 4:04 PM

Listening to this kid in his press conference, I have to say there’s not another QB I would want leading my team. This kid is not just an athlete, but he’s also a very intelligent young man, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in politics once his career has ended, he’s that smooth.

12. raideralex99 says: Dec 12, 2012 4:05 PM

Hmmmmmmmmm … I thought Shanahan was playing for next year?
    Seriously you are playing the Browns not the Pats put Cousins has come into play twice after a RG3 injury and both times he has thrown for a TD.
    At this rate … RG3 won’t even last the average NFL career of 3.3 years.

13. jeg07 says: Dec 12, 2012 4:07 PM

Shanahan is going to kill this poor guy.

14. whatok says: Dec 12, 2012 4:10 PM

All of you saying “he’ll be out of football in 5 years, etc” are all jealous haters. He’s doing much better at sliding since concussion. The hit to the knee was a freak incident and could of happened to Tom Brady or any other NFL qb.

15. jamaltimore says: Dec 12, 2012 4:13 PM

Don’t sleep on Cleveland’s D. The Ravens were playing with 2nd and 3rd stringers at CB and LB’s. Cleveland can definitely beat the skins this weekend with or without Bobby.

16. packh8er says: Dec 12, 2012 4:18 PM

I can imagine the extra preparation they’re putting in for the formidable Kirt Cousins is extreme, lol!

17. rufustfireflyjr says: Dec 12, 2012 4:27 PM

jeg07 says:
    Dec 12, 2012 4:07 PM
    “Shanahan is going to kill this poor guy.”

The number of RG3’s designed runs has decreased steadily since the start of the season. Both of his injuries have come on passing plays, not designed runs, where RG3 has been forced out of the pocket. Far from “getting him killed,” Shanahan has counseled Griffin to get out of bounds or on the ground to avoid taking unnecessary hits.

18. blackqbwhiterb says: Dec 12, 2012 4:27 PM

Stop whining about Griffin taking too many hits, please!! Im going to keep a count of how many he takes this week & how many Luck takes, & i am guessing the numbers are very close…. He ain’t no Mike Vick, this kid has got the smarts to be a great pro, his legs aren’t the only tool in his arsenal. I was a skeptic in April, I admit, but now I see, this kid is SPECIAL. No worries

19. dirtydrynn27 says: Dec 12, 2012 4:30 PM

Clevelands D is for real and very physical! If it was up to me,I would start Cousins see how the kid does.If Cousins struggles then I would put RGIII in,Skins need the rest of their games if they want to make the playoffs!

20. rg3andout says: Dec 12, 2012 4:48 PM

rg3 will be on IR after this game, plenty of time to selling and making subway sandwhiches and giving gatorade to Luck while hes playing in the playoffs

21. bigbluecrew420 says: Dec 12, 2012 4:52 PM

rufustfireflyjr
    Dec 12, 2012, 1:27 PM PST

The number of RG3′s designed runs has decreased steadily since the start of the season. Both of his injuries have come on passing plays, not designed runs, where RG3 has been forced out of the pocket. Far from “getting him killed,” Shanahan has counseled Griffin to get out of bounds or on the ground to avoid taking unnecessary hits.

—————————————————-

Griff had been hurt twice season and both times he was RUNNING!

I think your in running denial just like most skins fans.

22. joeyd524 says: Dec 12, 2012 5:18 PM

He’ll never finish the game,what’s the temp in Cleveland gonna be Sunday,I hope it’s frozen..

23. skinsfanwill says: Dec 12, 2012 5:20 PM

If he doesn’t play then people will say he is soft. He has to play. Just make him show the world he can throw that ball with the best of them. He isn’t just a runner. Hand it off to Morris and let RGizzy light em up through the air.

24. bluefan204 says: Dec 12, 2012 5:45 PM

This is a dumb decision. Although there weren’t any ligament tears, no one can tell me that those ligaments weren’t at least stretched, and that is not something to mess around with. I’m a Giants fan, but I really like this kid, and decisions like this are far more likely to shorten his career.

25. skins23 says: Dec 12, 2012 6:02 PM

Haha, all you clowns who give me thumbs down, check my comments about RG3 playing in the Garcon post yesterday, check the Morris post today, and check the “Mike Shanahan is Grumpy” post from November last year where I said Skins would get RG3.

You want to listen to me if you want the real scoop.

bigbluecrew420 says:Dec 12, 2012 4:52 PM

Griff had been hurt twice season and both times he was RUNNING!

I think your in running denial just like most skins fans.
    ___________________________

Give it a rest. Brady, Palmer, Brees…. out for seasons with injuries IN THE POCKET. It’s FOOTBALL.

Pretty sure that Roethlisberger and Steve Young don’t have any reservations about how they played and they have rings to show for it.

We’ll be in “denial”.

You can watch him torture the Giants for the next 12 years as he’s already done twice this year. You are scared of him just like your defense.

26. blutbaddenbill says: Dec 12, 2012 6:05 PM

Cousins should start.putting rg3 out there sunday is not worth the risk or reward when you consider he will be the redskins qb the next 10 to 15 years!
    Skins need to find out if cousins can win in rg3’s absence and what better time to do it now in a play off type atmosphere?

27. randomcommenter says: Dec 12, 2012 6:18 PM

If they play him and use a single option play, shanahan should be fired on the spot.

It’s fine that they used this option to ease him into the NFL but they better phase that out next year. He’s just not big enough to take those hits.

QB is already a dangerous position without adding running plays to the mix. Cam Newton is huge and can take the pounding but RG3 will break down like Vick always does if they keep running.

28. dontasemebro says: Dec 12, 2012 6:46 PM

Cortisone is amazing stuff!

29. skinswillsurprise says: Dec 12, 2012 9:05 PM

All you people telling this young man to sit should shut up. If he feels he is ready then he is ready. He is not a dumb dude. Ask Peyton and A.P if he should play. HTTR!!

30. dirtybuc says: Dec 12, 2012 9:07 PM

As he develops and gets better as a QB, he will take less hits and only calculated runs. This guy has one of the highest passer ratings in the NFL, and is a rookie. Very impressed!

31. iu40iu53iu76iu81iu87 says: Dec 12, 2012 9:13 PM

When a sequel to the movie Good Burger is made. Can the Kel Mitchell lookalike BobG3 be the star? We all want to see BobG3 begin his movie career yelling into the camera saying “Welcome to Good Burger, home of the Good Burger , can i take ya awwwwwwder!” He would be perfect for that role!

and as for his press conference when he stated “I screamed….like a man of course” , meanwhile wearing his hair and a hairclip holding his hair back looking like a woman, that is good stuff BOB, keep it going!

32. joeyd524 says: Dec 12, 2012 9:20 PM

Without his legs/speed this guys trash…trust me on this

33. jdj517 says: Dec 12, 2012 11:02 PM

Having been a skins fan for 20+ years, had season tickets, everything. So as I speak ( type..haha ), I am saying this from a die-hard fan perspective. IMHO I think they should rest him, another week of rest can do nothing but good, especially with the cold weather, haven’t seen the forecast yet but I imagine it’ll be pretty chilly. I have the highest faith and confidence in Cousins, Morris, our receivers, Forbath, our game plan and I can’t believe I’m saying this but our defense. I know the stats about our d but they seem to make adjustments and step up when it matters. I think we will be just fine if RGIII sits to rest his knee..HTTR !!!

34. boyshole25 says: Dec 12, 2012 11:22 PM

Well said Jdj same position here

35. peytonsneck18 says: Dec 13, 2012 12:42 PM