Robert Griffin III is back at practice

Robert Griffin III Reuters

Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III is practicing today, three days after being knocked out of a game against the Ravens with a sprained lateral collateral ligament.

Griffin did not appear to be slowed significantly by his knee injury while doing individual drills, CSNWashington.com reports. Griffin wore sweatpants, so it wasn’t clear whether he had a brace on his knee.

Reporters were only allowed to watch stretching and individual drills, and the Redskins haven’t yet said whether Griffin or backup Kirk Cousins would run the first-string offense in team drills.

On Monday Redskins coach Mike Shanahan sounded optimistic about Griffin’s chances of playing against the Browns on Sunday, although Redskins receiver Pierre Garcon later said he expected Cousins to start. We likely won’t know for sure until Sunday whether Griffin can go, but the fact that he’s practicing is a very promising sign.

Permalink 65 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
65 Responses to “Robert Griffin III is back at practice”
  1. fafaflunky says: Dec 12, 2012 12:30 PM

as a skins fan i must say..the skins should ride the confidence this team is showing and start cousins..why ruin rg3s leg and his ability to fly..the browns to me seem like they would just go after it any way..skins oline isnt that great first of all..also you can show the league that cousins could win and maybe trade him after the season and get some draft picks back..

2. champ1118 says: Dec 12, 2012 12:36 PM

The Washington Post is also reporting that later in the day he was seen down by the Potomac river…walking on water!! This is insane. I’m a Redskin fan, but this can’t be real. That shot he took was wicked!! Is there nothing this kid can’t do?

3. S.Nevada says: Dec 12, 2012 12:37 PM

RG3 is the Man!

4. bpd1968 says: Dec 12, 2012 12:38 PM

Legend

5. chattanola says: Dec 12, 2012 12:38 PM

The way Cousins played over the weekend, makes me think that the Redskins could start him against the Browns with a fair amount of confidence.

I’d sit Griffin to avoid the risk of making a relatively mild injury worse.

6. cubano76 says: Dec 12, 2012 12:39 PM

If he’s ready to play, let him start the game on the bench (why risk it). Then if they get in a hole, let him come off the bench.

7. commonsensedude says: Dec 12, 2012 12:39 PM

The fact is that the Redskins have a superstar starting QB who plays way above a rookie level and also have a quality rookie QB backup who could start on most other teams. Quite an improvement over last year’s team which featured the Rex and Beck Comedy Show.

If RG3 can play, he’ll play and do well. If he can’t play, Cousins will play and do well. Either way, we will be running the fourth rated running back up the middle and down the field. We have a bunch of players who FINALLY have come together as a football team. I think the Skins are pretty dangerous these days and should not be taken lightly.

8. blackqbwhiterb says: Dec 12, 2012 12:39 PM

He bruised his leg on a nig hit….ice it up, back on the field on Wednesday….No big deal, nothing to see here. Stop with the ” Oh, he takes too many hits” talk, please-see how many hits Andrew Luck has taken?

9. Beezo-Doo-doo-Zippity-Bop-bop-bop says: Dec 12, 2012 12:42 PM

You see fafaflunky, you are thinking logically not like a Shanahan.

10. logicalvoicesays says: Dec 12, 2012 12:42 PM

The RG3surrection has begun. The rest of the league has been put on notice.

11. njgiant1982 says: Dec 12, 2012 12:43 PM

fafaflunky says:
    Dec 12, 2012 12:30 PM

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As a Giants fan, I couldn’t agree more. Protect the investment, RGIII is special and shouldn’t be allowed to be called another Vic. He’s better and smarter than that.

12. skinzfan10 says: Dec 12, 2012 12:43 PM

As another Skins’ fan I must say… we need to play whoever gives us the best chance to win at this point. We cannot afford another loss and if Griffin is not limited at all and feels he can play, we need to play him.

13. rickc402 says: Dec 12, 2012 12:44 PM

NFL Championship game OK, game against the Browns, when neither team championship caliber…no way, Shanhan please don’t mortgage the future on what could be a meaningless game.

14. changeup39 says: Dec 12, 2012 12:45 PM

Mike Shanahan should learn from the now multiple times rg3 has gotten hurt and STOP exposing him to so many hits

15. goyzzo says: Dec 12, 2012 12:45 PM

Whoever starts for the Redskins is going to get beat up. I am not saying the Browns will win, but the Browns defense plays awful physical. I would just hate to see Griffin get hurt seriously as I like to watch him play. Go Browns!!!

16. wayne1693 says: Dec 12, 2012 12:45 PM

The very specialized sports orthopedics say that given all the facts and his knee history…HE SHOULD NOT BE PLAYING THIS SUNDAY UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

17. peytonsneck18 says: Dec 12, 2012 12:45 PM

They better have a ambulance near by…the Browns will break mushmouth in half!!!

18. geniusesq says: Dec 12, 2012 12:46 PM

He is not human.

#HAIL

19. geniusesq says: Dec 12, 2012 12:46 PM

“I don’t always snap my leg in half. But, when I do, it’s just a sprain.” ~ RGIII

20. mojodoa says: Dec 12, 2012 12:46 PM

fafaflunky hit it on the head. Get Cousins marketed and maximize his trade value. Skins on the way up.

21. wryly1 says: Dec 12, 2012 12:46 PM

Duly noted RG wasn’t seen in pads running the offense. Major, major decision for Shanahan. Does he jeopardize RG’s health and future to make a longshot playoff run this year?

22. gweez76 says: Dec 12, 2012 12:46 PM

So then I shouldn’t listen to people on the radio and ESPN who diagnose the severity of an injury based on a slow-mo replay?

Who’d a thunk it?

23. tiredofyoureferringtoateamaswe says: Dec 12, 2012 12:47 PM

I have to admit, I have not been a fan of this guy. Given a “cool” nickname before even taking an NFL snap and basically giftwrapped everything. However, I have watched a couple of his games and have been quite impressed. I watched the replay of his injury from Sunday (which made me sick to my stomach!), the fact that he came back into the game was quite amazing. It showed his toughness and the fact that he has way more guts than I gave him credit for. Much earned respect, big time. Cam Newton would still be crying from that hit.

24. samurai3939 says: Dec 12, 2012 12:47 PM

If he is ok, rg3 should play. Skins need this game. After all, logicalvoice knows they are winning the SB.

25. skeebo80 says: Dec 12, 2012 12:47 PM

The Pistol is here to stay as long as RGIII AND Kaepernick are around.

26. ccjcsr says: Dec 12, 2012 12:47 PM

Trying to be Superman, He’s in Carolina…lol!

27. drubyy1993 says: Dec 12, 2012 12:48 PM

until he gets hurt this week

28. goodellisruiningtheleague says: Dec 12, 2012 12:49 PM

Start kirk cousins then trade him in the offseason for draft picks? This would leave Grossman as the backup qb to RG3… thats what everyone wants?

29. BeachBum46 says: Dec 12, 2012 12:50 PM

I hope he does play, the Browns defense has really been getting after the QB this season. After a few good hits he’ll probably start getting rattled back there and it will effect his decision making. His knee will definitely be on his mind all day. This coming from a Cowboys fan.

30. evomike06 says: Dec 12, 2012 12:53 PM

If he can play Sunday. God is really with the skins and RGIII not many people could bounce back from that hit as fast as him. If not more damage occuring

31. geniusesq says: Dec 12, 2012 12:53 PM

He’s like Sampson. The power is in the hair.

HAIL

32. geniusesq says: Dec 12, 2012 12:55 PM

He turned a child’s glove into a Playstation 4. He fed all of FedEx with one nacho.

He’s the most interesting man in the world.

33. duncanthecat says: Dec 12, 2012 12:59 PM

From what I can remember in Pee Wee ball. If dad said I was good to play–I played.

Have another good game Sunday!

34. peytonsneck18 says: Dec 12, 2012 1:01 PM

Skins will NEVER win a SB with IRG3….NEVER!!

35. theblowtorchreview says: Dec 12, 2012 1:01 PM

I would disagree this is a meaningless game for the Skins. They have to win out, and hope NY stumbles because they arent getting in as a wild card.

36. peytonsneck18 says: Dec 12, 2012 1:03 PM

Skins are acting like RG3 is GOD…child please! !! U guys still aren’t relevent, the Wizards will win a championship before the redskins will….

37. tennesseeoilers says: Dec 12, 2012 1:04 PM

I’m a Titans fan who’s followed the Redskins since 1978 as my favorite NFC team. I don’t get the popularity of the idea of starting Cousins against a mediocre Browns team so Griffin can rest. Last time I checked, EVERY remaining game on the Skins’ schedule is a must-win. If Griffin’s healthy enough that he gives you the best chance of winning, it’s a no-brainer: You start him!

38. dcdiehard82 says: Dec 12, 2012 1:07 PM

As a realistic Skins fan I feel they should sit Bob out regardless if he can play or not… In my eyes this season has already been a success. Let Bob rest that knee and see what we really have in Kurt… I feel that the risk isn’t worth the reward… I’d rather have many playoff appearances than a few…… GO SKINS!!!

39. imgonnathrowup says: Dec 12, 2012 1:08 PM

Im a pats fan and I will go out of my way to watch them play cleveland because of this guy

40. chris6523 says: Dec 12, 2012 1:09 PM

I don’t think the Redskins are that good and the Browns are that bad to suggest that the Redskins can just walk into that game and get a crucial win without bringing something close to their A game. The browns are 5-3 over their last 8 and they were in every one of their 3 losses until the end.

If Cousins starts that game, the Browns are the favorite, IMO.

41. 8ovie8 says: Dec 12, 2012 1:10 PM

He has learned to get down sooner on the sideline, hopefully he will soon learn not to cut it back inside for another 3-4 yards. If he can still be effective with getting 6-8 yards and not getting hit too bad then the read option can still be effective, I do understand it was 2nd or 3rd and long when he got hurt and he was trying to make a play

42. rtant2013 says: Dec 12, 2012 1:13 PM

If he’s fine, then playing him isn’t going to risk injury anymore then any other game. He wasn’t limping at all, but he didn’t do his full speed work out either. You don’t sit your star player when your in a playoff run, and honestly I don’t see Griffin letting them sit him, and ultimately it will be his decision. There’s no doubt in my mind that he will be playing Sunday, but I would hold off on any opinions and just let him get it done from the pocket like he’s been doing all year. Oh and whoever said the Redskins OLine hasn’t been good this year, hasn’t watched any games, they’ve been pretty impressive, especially Trent Williams.

43. azarkhan says: Dec 12, 2012 1:15 PM

logicalvoicesays: The RG3surrection has begun. The rest of the league has been put on notice.

I’m sure the “rest of the league” is terrified. LOL

44. tonyarnold2 says: Dec 12, 2012 1:16 PM

I like how people treat RG3 like Jesus… I mean he’s good, but come on…

45. bigbenh8tr says: Dec 12, 2012 1:17 PM

It is only a knee bruise. If the injury somehow gets worse in a game that Cousins could arguably win, with Dallas and Giants both playing games they could easily lose, especially without Bradshaw playing, then Shanahan will be looking for a new job next season. Jeapordize the future of the kids career to POSSIBLY make a playoff game that is not guaranteed? We will soon see how logical the Skins really are.

46. skinnyskins says: Dec 12, 2012 1:19 PM

If RGIII is healthy and can operate the offense at a high level then start him. If his injury limits the plays we can call then start Cousins.

Cousins is a backup for a reason and people clamoring for him to start so he can be showcased for a trade are idiots. Don’t forget that he threw two ugly picks in less than a half against the Falcons. Besides, we need to focus on winning this game against a hot Cleveland team so we can go to the playoffs, not making trades. You guys are getting greedy.

47. bspurloc says: Dec 12, 2012 1:22 PM

shananigans will start him at RB

48. fuglyflorio says: Dec 12, 2012 1:29 PM

Ride him like a rented mule.

49. skins23 says: Dec 12, 2012 1:34 PM

I told you this on here on Monday.
    I told you this on here earlier today.
    I said back in October of ’11 that the Skins were going to go after RG3 long before anyone was talking about him.

If you want real info about the Skins, listen to me instead of what most of the idiot mainstream media is saying.

50. BeachBum46 says: Dec 12, 2012 1:41 PM

fuglyflorio says: Dec 12, 2012 1:29 PM

Ride him like a rented mule.

_____________________________

Exactly and then they’ll discard him after a year or two just like a rented mule. Because he’s all used up.

51. kev86 says: Dec 12, 2012 1:44 PM

Careful what you wish for. Go Giants

52. deshackle says: Dec 12, 2012 1:52 PM

Every team in the NFL has some Haloti Ngatas on the roster. First time I saw the pistol offense and RG3′s style of play I knew it was Not For Long.

I expect better judgement and management from Mike Shanahan.

53. boyshole25 says: Dec 12, 2012 1:54 PM

Sit him this years been exactly what We fans had hoped for. Don’t risk it sit him on his biscuit

54. skinsfan91 says: Dec 12, 2012 1:58 PM

They’re not riding him like a rented mule. As funny an expression as that is. He wants to play. If physically he checks out. Then the Skins are in the thick of a playoff hunt that RGIII really helped put together. I’m sure RGIII want to go out there and perform.

55. cbusbrownie says: Dec 12, 2012 1:58 PM

As a Browns FANATIC, I must say that I am really happy to hear he’ll prob. play. If Shumur is really making this team better, then beat a good team for God’s sake. Then we can measure this team and only then. Can not wait for this one.!!!! GO BROWNS

56. bensstinkyfingers says: Dec 12, 2012 1:58 PM

Not sure what the big deal is, Start BobbyIII, or Capt. Kirk, the Browns “D” is one of the healthiest in the NFL currently and they have been playing aggressive, getting lots of pressure and hard hits on the Qb. I have a feeling both Qb’s will be needed on Sunday. Don’t understimate the Dawg Pound in this game, or you might get bit in the arse.

57. eatitfanboy says: Dec 12, 2012 2:00 PM

I certainly hope the Skins fans on here saying RGIII should play because the skins need the game aren’t the same ones who thought it was a great idea to shut down Stephen Strasburg in the middle of a pennant race…………

58. brownoholic says: Dec 12, 2012 2:08 PM

So PUMPED for this game!

59. peytonsneck18 says: Dec 12, 2012 2:13 PM

Skinsfans are annoying huh

60. bigbluecrew420 says: Dec 12, 2012 2:13 PM

skins23
    Dec 12, 2012, 10:34 AM PST
    I told you this on here on Monday.
    I told you this on here earlier today.

—————————————————-

You predicted .500 season at best and a perennially injured QB???

Good call.

61. defscottyb says: Dec 12, 2012 2:22 PM

RG3 gives the Redskins the best chance to win so if he thinks he can play at a high level then you have to play him. Even if he is not 100% with his legs he is still very acurate and even an 80% griffin (running) is still better than Cousins. The Skins can still run the triple option with a less than healthy Griffin. Maybe less actual running from him and more handoffs, reverses and play actions or screens and only a few actual runs by Griffin. If he becomes sore or can’t continue then put in Cousins. Washington is 7-6 and fighting for a playoff spot, they need to win every game now. I don’t see Robert not playing… no way no how. Hail to the Redskins!

62. jjbadd385 says: Dec 12, 2012 2:42 PM

Ive read through some of the comments, and I too will say this: Im a Broncos fan and I have to admit that I was probably wrong about RGIII. He is much better than I had once thought. And to look that good on a Redskins team that has no real super talented offensive players, says even more about him.

63. baddegg says: Dec 12, 2012 3:38 PM

Chuck Norris fears RG3

64. ajpurp says: Dec 12, 2012 7:31 PM

Actually an LCL “sprain” is not a knee bruise whatsoever. It is a ligament, and as such, you cannot “bruise” it. An LCL sprain, of any type, is actually the ligament being torn in some way. However, a grade I is only microscopic little tears in the ligament so it isn’t very serious, but it can worsen by tearing more and from not being at full strength can cause additional hyper extension causing a more severe injury. A grade III, which it can turn into to with additional stress,is a full on LCL tear. It is not a traditional sprain that you ice and it gets better. So yeah, smart to keep him out one game. Know what you are saying before you call a sprain a bruise.

65. akbrownsfan says: Dec 12, 2012 11:22 PM

With Rubin , Taylor , Parker , Sheard , Winn , Rucker, Hughes , Kitchen rotating in the skins OL is in for A LONG DAY