Sapp spotted at Super Bowl celebration with a Super Bowl ring

Sapp

Former Bucs defensive tackle Warren Sapp told a bankruptcy court earlier this year that Sapp lost his Super Bowl ring.

Apparently, he has since found it.  Or he bought a replica.  Or he borrowed a teammate’s.

Multiple photos from Sunday’s 10th anniversary celebration of the Buccaneers’ only championship season feature photos of Sapp wearing a Super Bowl ring.  The ring was first spotted by the folks at JoeBucsFan.com, who said that a reader of the site (Jeremy Shockey?) pointed out that Sapp was wearing it.

Several photos of Sapp wearing a Super Bowl ring appear at the team’s official website.

Sapp, who likely will make it to Canton next year, has bristled at suggestions that his claim of a lost Super Bowl ring were fabricated, in order to exempt the ring from his bankruptcy estate.

Is it so unbelievable that I misplaced my ring?” Sapp said in April.  “I wore it for 365 days, and we had a 7-9 season [in Tampa Bay in 2003] and I went to Oakland and I took it off.  You never saw me with it anywhere.  The only time I brought it out was when the NFL Network wanted us to wear it.

“We were at the Super Bowl, and I thought I handed it to someone, and he said I didn’t.  I checked my luggage to see if it was in a side pocket.  I checked my suit to see if I put it somewhere.  What was I going to do?  Yell and scream because I lost a ring?  That ring didn’t make me a champion.  Derrick Brooks, Simeon Rice, Ronde Barber, Brian Kelly, Dwight Smith.  That crew made me a champion.”

Maybe someone on that crew loaned him a ring for the weekend, too.  Since that ring didn’t make whoever loaned it to Sapp a champion.

(Photo credit:  Buccaneers.com)

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
26 Responses to “Sapp spotted at Super Bowl celebration with a Super Bowl ring”
  1. buffalobills2012 says: Dec 12, 2012 4:25 PM

Sapp is a compulsive liar and has serious issues. You can tell by his mannerisms and facial expressions.

2. cakemixa says: Dec 12, 2012 4:29 PM

One of the dumbest athletes of all time

3. souljalb says: Dec 12, 2012 4:29 PM

Dry snitching?

4. kevinmanosur says: Dec 12, 2012 4:32 PM

what a loser

5. marvsleezy says: Dec 12, 2012 4:37 PM

Trent Dilfer made him a champion :)

6. shutupbrees says: Dec 12, 2012 4:42 PM

You can tell he’s a liar because he phrases his denial without actually lying about anything, he just brings up his own questions and tries to frame a reasonable doubt case.

The court of public opinion doesn’t care about reasonable doubt. He better hope they don’t take oaths in Bankruptcy court ….

7. savocabol1 says: Dec 12, 2012 4:45 PM

Very interested on how this turns out. I bet he “found” it recently.

8. sixjak says: Dec 12, 2012 4:45 PM

Sapp is an amazing role model and is probably even more amazing than RG3.

9. buddysguys says: Dec 12, 2012 4:46 PM

marvsleezy says: Dec 12, 2012 4:37 PM

Trent Dilfer made him a champion :)

*Brad Johnson

Dilfer was a raven

10. iamthorny says: Dec 12, 2012 4:49 PM

How does anyone know for sure that it’s a SuperBowl ring? It very well could be a college bowl ring, or something he purchased that was just as gaudy as a SB ring.

(I think I spotted him at “Fabulous Fakes” during my recent Christmas trip to the mall)

11. ronin36 says: Dec 12, 2012 5:00 PM

And Al Davis is responsible for getting him to Canton (if he ever goes.)

Here’s my theory…

Sapp was the “good” player on a GREAT d-line.

Sapp has benefitted from a lot of publicity over the years. I don’t think he’s Canton worthy because he wasn’t stellar at is position. “Good” but not “Great”.. he gets added consideration simply because of his name recognition.

Had Al Davis never paid him the money.. he probably would have languished in Tampa, and eventually been an afterthought; an answer to a trivia question.

12. firstvictory says: Dec 12, 2012 5:01 PM

haha, good stuff Florio

13. Nevis says: Dec 12, 2012 5:09 PM

I like Sapp.

14. 8to80texansblog says: Dec 12, 2012 5:10 PM

Sapp has serious issues. He was on a radio station in Houston promoting his book and just freaked out when someone asked him about the bankruptcy and then just hung up on the host.

Everyone knows he’s lying about the ring…

15. sportsmeccabi says: Dec 12, 2012 5:58 PM

@ronin36

The dude had 16.5 sacks as a defensive tackle in one season.
    He isn’t a good role model but there is no denying sapp as one of all time greats at defensive tackle.

16. patswhatsup says: Dec 12, 2012 5:59 PM

I think if an athlete plans to keep the ring, it should be exempted from bankruptcy, but if it’s ever sold it should be retro-collected.

17. seamhereseamthere says: Dec 12, 2012 6:14 PM

Anyone with a few minutes to spare can find out who the Trustee is in his bankruptcy case. Call him up-direct him to this story-and watch the fireworks.

The Federal government takes lying under oath seriously-ask Roger Clemens or Martha Stewart-and Sapp appears to be flirting with danger if he lied about that ring…….

18. lks311 says: Dec 12, 2012 6:43 PM

Despite his financial mis-adventures, let the man keep his ring.

19. boyofzimmer says: Dec 12, 2012 7:00 PM

People are so entitled these days! Let him keep the ring?! Are you kidding me? You’re defaulting on a debt, take responsibility and give up your items of value. What about those that lent him money? He should just be happy there’s no such thing as debtor’s prison anymore.

20. snccoach says: Dec 12, 2012 7:27 PM

This funniest thing off of this is that he took a picture with Meshawn. He HATED him during his time in Tampa. Hilarious.

21. ducksk says: Dec 12, 2012 9:34 PM

Good football player. Another idiot.

22. richc111 says: Dec 12, 2012 10:00 PM

Why is he going to make it to Canton next year. He was not a great player. But I get it. One way to further your chances of getting in is to get a job with a network or better yet the NFL network. That adds 20% more votes right there. Just keep you face in front of the camera and everyone will still remember you.

23. tsimpson50 says: Dec 12, 2012 10:38 PM

Sapp is a tool. Big Mouthed, Foul Mouth LIAR! I hope the attorney’s from his bankruptcy hearing address this.

And NO he shouldn’t be able to keep his ring.

24. ncfloyd says: Dec 12, 2012 11:44 PM

So Sapp is a first year hall of farmer and Bettis is not in after 2 years of eligibility? Bettis is the 5 th all time rusher ahead of Brown, Campbell, Csonka, Riggins and every other of the big backs and had to play with no qb to keep the defense honest. Unless you count Tony Banks,Tomczak and Kordell over his first 9 years.

25. landobuc says: Dec 13, 2012 1:13 AM

Warren Sapp is great. He is excellent at being an analyst he brings the same passion he did to the field which is why he is succeeding. Even though calling out Jeremy Shockey pissed off the Network they knew was he was right. He still gets under people’s skin just like he did Pro bowl and Hall of Fame quarterbacks.

And he deserves to keep the ring.

26. jjbadd385 says: Dec 13, 2012 7:59 AM

Noone deserves to have the ring he earned as a NFL player. I dont care how much money he owes to anyone. If he lied about it, he should have. I dont see how taking something that is very personal, something he worked for, would help anyone. I dont know why people think you should squeeze and drain everything a man has, just because he gets in financial trouble. Good for him if he has it! And for the record Im not a Bucs or Raiders fan, I dislike both teams.