Chad Henne wants to prove he can be someone’s starter

New York Jets v Jacksonville Jaguars Getty Images

Chad Henne was supposed to be quarterbacking in Miami this weekend, but it was supposed to be as the Dolphins starter, not the Jaguars relief pitcher.

And he admitted that’s going to make it an special trip.

There’s definitely going to be emotions,’’ Henne said, via Vito Stellino of the Florida Times-Union. “There will be a little bit more excitement and everything.’’

To say Henne (13-18 record as a starter) didn’t work out as well as Ryan (54-21 with the Falcons) understates the case badly.

The Dolphins let Henne walk this offseason as a free agent, casting their lot with their next quarterback of the future, Ryan Tannehill.

There’s no ill will, but there’s a clear desire to prove them wrong.

“They gave me every opportunity,’’ Henne said. “They drafted me and I appreciate that, but sometimes things don’t work out and you move on. I think I learned a lot about myself. I learned about the league and the organization there. I take it as a positive. I appreciate the opportunity down there.’’

Now he’s trying to prove himself to the Jags, having played well replacing the injured Blaine Gabbert. Coach Mike Mularkey insisted Henne has a chance to make the job his own, saying he’s been impressed with the way Henne’s teammates have responded to him.

That didn’t happen in Miami.

“As a quarterback, you’re always going to be blamed. The head coach and the quarterback are determined by wins and losses and they’re going to keep you around if you win. If not, they are going to try to find someone else,’’ Henne said. “I’ll take the blame because I have no problems taking it, and I can live my life and move on with it. But the most important thing is improving each and every week. Not making the same mistakes and giving yourself a chance at the end.’’

This weekend, he has a chance to prove himself, such that quarterbacking the Jags is a fair chance.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Jacksonville Jaguars, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill
16 Responses to “Chad Henne wants to prove he can be someone’s starter”
  1. agelardi says: Dec 13, 2012 11:25 AM

Always thought Jake Long was the wrong choice to draft. Fins didn’t have a QB worth protecting to make Long a worth while choice at #1. Sure Long has been great for the Fins but his production has been mostly wasted.

Wish they had traded that #1 pick for a truck load of picks & established NFL talent since the Fins had & still have so many holes to fix.

2. dalucks says: Dec 13, 2012 11:28 AM

Someone’s starter, how about Jacksonville’s starter. Are the Jaguars really going to ride this Blaine Gabbert train for another season? As a Texan fan, sure with Blaine starting, it is a easy win. However, as a guy who loves good football, I want to see the Jaguars become more competitive. Besides, in order for the Texans to become a better team, I will admit that I need the division to become better. C’mon Jacksonville, get it together.

3. justwannawinna says: Dec 13, 2012 11:32 AM

Chad is a decent QB and would be a great backup not a starter. Gabbert just sucks and was a terrible pick for the Jags they should try to spread the offense if Blaine gets a shot next year to win the job. If not theres always alex smith or matt flynn lol cuz Geno smith and Barkely both look like busts with the Jags.

4. 49erstim says: Dec 13, 2012 11:36 AM

The Dolphins have been a train wreck for years and Henne shouldn’t have to shoulder that burden. They have been in disarray from the top down. Henne (in the proper environment) can flourish.

The Dolphins are moving in the right direction now and Henne has an opportunity to win a starting job in J’Ville. That sounds win/win to me.

5. eatitfanboy says: Dec 13, 2012 11:46 AM

He’s being given a fair and full chance to earn Jacksonville’s job next season and he’s responded with a 52% completion percentage, 8tds, 5ints, and a 76 QB rating.

Words don’t win jobs, Chad, performance does. Time to step it up my man.

6. tfbuckfutter says: Dec 13, 2012 12:02 PM

Matt Ryan likely wouldn’t have had as much impact for the Dolphins as he has had for the Falcons.

Because they are, you know….the Dolphins.

7. mrcogburn says: Dec 13, 2012 12:06 PM

Anyone who has watched Henne play knows that he just doesn’t have good football sense. Added to that was being coached by that boat anchor aka Tony Sparano who measures progress only in field goals and you see why the man has been seriously football retarded. He’s a backup, nothing more.

8. stevemo says: Dec 13, 2012 12:14 PM

“The Dolphins made a significant, and significantly wrong, decision in the 2008 Draft. Instead of taking Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan first overall, they took left tackle Jake Long and then Chad Henne in the second round.”

Nice to see you only deal with objective facts.

9. hehateme2 says: Dec 13, 2012 12:14 PM

The Robot Returns…. stay tuned.

10. myroncopesflask says: Dec 13, 2012 12:39 PM

Henne is not a great option as a starter but he would make a fantastic #2 on any team.

11. schrutebeetfarms says: Dec 13, 2012 12:55 PM

Hasn’t Henne won as many playoff games as Ryan has though?

12. peytonsneck18 says: Dec 13, 2012 1:32 PM

a colts fan, i want the jags to go back to gabbart, lol

13. annes22 says: Dec 13, 2012 1:45 PM

Let Chad come back and prove himself. He may find
    himself on his back a few times with this defense.
    It’s not as if the Dolphins don’t know him, I’ll be shocked if the Dolphins don’t win this one.

14. adiddie says: Dec 13, 2012 2:04 PM

Come to minnesnota!

15. thelastpieceofcheese says: Dec 13, 2012 3:33 PM

Chad Henne – the best quarterback of the 2008 draft according to Parcells – is the worst quarterback in the history of the Dolphins.

16. osteengopher says: Dec 14, 2012 9:57 AM

I HATE No Scripts… have no idea when something goes through!!!!!