David Wilson tells co-workers to stop flipping out

New York Giants' David Wilson does a back flip after running for a touchdown in the fourth quarter against the New Orleans Saints in their NFL football game in East Rutherford Reuters

While many people are flipping out about about his celebration, Giants rookie running back David Wilson just wants everyone to “relax.”

Wilson’s post-touchdown backflip drew some cross looks from the normally buttoned-down Giants.

“Everyone knows how athletic he is but the last thing we need is him having some tweak injury by showing off to the crowd. Let’s just keep him upright and running and leave the backflips for YouTube. They’re already on YouTube. If people want to see them, they can go to YouTube and see them.”

When Giants coach Tom Coughlin was asked if he had a problem, he replied “next question,” and when pressed on whether he’d ban the flips, he replied: “You’re not going to get me on that one.”

Wilson said general manager Jerry Reese told him “if I get hurt then he’ll be in my grill.”

For his part, the 21-year-old Wilson said he’d been doing them so long he felt comfortable.

“I’ve been doing them since I was 3 years old. It’s easy,” Wilson said. “It’s almost like running, for me to jump and turn backwards. I’ve been doing it for a while. I think people can relax a little.”

That’s not likely, but the fact they come after touchdowns will probably buy him a little leeway, if he ends up doing a lot of them.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
16 Responses to “David Wilson tells co-workers to stop flipping out”
  1. logicalvoicesays says: Dec 13, 2012 8:45 AM

The only RB that matters in the NFC East is Alfred Morris.

2. FinFan68 says: Dec 13, 2012 8:52 AM

He’s just stupid. Why is it difficult to realize that certain risks are not worth it? He risks injury for what–attention seeking demonstrations? If he gets injured he is useless to the team and its goals. Selfish morons should be fined by the teams. When it starts costing him money he might finally wise up.

3. whodeyz says: Dec 13, 2012 9:04 AM

Don’t worry, the NFL will ban this type of celebration too before the Giants ever have to worry about it…

4. slvrspec says: Dec 13, 2012 9:05 AM

Let the man celebrate come on, he had a big game.

5. themagicman1223 says: Dec 13, 2012 9:41 AM

Justin Tuck is just mad that he’s irrelevant.

6. eatitfanboy says: Dec 13, 2012 10:21 AM

Not going to make too huge a deal out of it, but I’m not sure it’s a very positive sign of maturity when a rookie openly dismisses advice from veteran team mates and his own GM.

7. formyministy says: Dec 13, 2012 10:49 AM

“I told him several times never to do that again,” defensive end Justin Tuck said, via Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News. “We’re going to have another talk about not doing it.
    —–
    i can’t be the only one who thought of the “hazing” of prince amukamura, can i? please, david wilson, stop doing the backflips! lol.

8. arson81 says: Dec 13, 2012 10:51 AM

Ahhhhhh, the follies of youth. When will these kids realize that just because you CAN, doesn’t mean you HAVE TO?

9. fortphiladamsterdam says: Dec 13, 2012 10:57 AM

I’m not big on celebrations, but I understand the mentality of performing one. Pump up yourself, the team, and the crowd while creating a bit of a personal trademark. Whatever.

But if I was a coach, he’d get benched for that. A TD is nice, but healthy players are nicer.

10. vikingforever says: Dec 13, 2012 11:51 AM

I have no problem with his backflip……. I would rather see this type of celebration then some of those stupid dancing routines that are becoming almost embarrising to watch. I say let him flip.

11. bigdan7885 says: Dec 13, 2012 12:04 PM

I’m actually surprised it hasn’t been banned already. You can’t do any kind of celebrating these days (oh except jumping into the stands if you happen to be wearing green and yellow)

12. justintuckrule says: Dec 13, 2012 12:18 PM

Dumb unoriginal celebration. This coming from a Giants’ fan.

13. surfoside4life says: Dec 13, 2012 12:58 PM

G-MEN BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. bluefan204 says: Dec 13, 2012 3:38 PM

Perhaps this was what Coughlin and Ingram were referring to when they said that Wilson “wasn’t ready, and had to show more maturity” before he’d have their complete trust.

If the team asks you not to do something that may cause an injury, suck it up and dont do it. They are the ones who sign your large paychecks

15. peakhype says: Dec 13, 2012 5:25 PM

This move isn’t easy to do without football equipment, much less with it.

16. ctp603 says: Dec 13, 2012 5:46 PM

Less Deion Sanders, more Barry Sanders.