Doctor says Dez needs surgery, Dez plans to try to play

Dez AP

I once sought a second opinion from a doctor.  He said, “You’re ugly, too.”

Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant sought a second opinion — from a second doctor — regarding his broken finger.  And the second opinion meshes with the first:  Dez needs surgery on his left index finger.

According to Ed Werder of ESPN, Dez intends to delay surgery and attempt to play.

At least he didn’t opt for the Ronnie Lott strategy.  Yet.

That said, we admire Dez for playing.  And we assume/hope that the doctors have explained the risks to him by doing something other than sending him to Wikipedia.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
21 Responses to “Doctor says Dez needs surgery, Dez plans to try to play”
  1. logicalvoicesays says: Dec 13, 2012 9:29 AM

This guy is an idiot on and off the gridiron. In other words, the perfect Dallas Cowboy.

2. bspurloc says: Dec 13, 2012 9:33 AM

tape the fingers together and go lose

3. dccowboy says: Dec 13, 2012 9:35 AM

I admire his spirit, but, given that two doctors have said he needs surgery AND there are long term implications if he reinjures it, he should get the surgery and shut it down.

Dallas isn’t going anywhere this season (too many starters out – what is it now 15?) so it would seem to me that he’s taking the risk for nothing.

4. paulsmith107 says: Dec 13, 2012 9:46 AM

Not an issue he’ll play and play well for a long long time

5. newmarketmaulers says: Dec 13, 2012 9:46 AM

I blame Jerry for putting the decision in Dez’ hands. I dont agree with Dez much, but this shouldnt be on him.

6. aboogy123456 says: Dec 13, 2012 9:52 AM

Love the Dangerfield reference! Should I start Dez in fantasy football?

7. troy43mvp says: Dec 13, 2012 10:07 AM

Why get a 2nd opinion if you are not going to listen to either one? Good health plan I guess. Does anyone know if the finger is on his pimp slapping hand? I have a bet going with a coworker.

8. eztargetone says: Dec 13, 2012 10:21 AM

Florio says:

“That said, we admire Dez for playing. And we assume/hope that the doctors have explained the risks to him by doing something other than sending him to Wikipedia.”

Really?? Last article wasn’t enough. Gotta take another jab at the NFL???

9. ccjcsr says: Dec 13, 2012 10:42 AM

At this point you have to protect the player from himself for future gain!

10. bster01 says: Dec 13, 2012 10:48 AM

Look at torry holts finger! People act like a wide receiver can’t play with a broken finger.

11. crubenst says: Dec 13, 2012 10:55 AM

That’s what you get when the owner and gm is an irresponsible, immature child who will let another irresponsible, immature child make the decision. I don’t think there’s another team in the league that would even let him play after hearing both doctor’s opinions.

12. johnnyjagfan says: Dec 13, 2012 11:01 AM

I figure the finger is going to either be surgically repaired now or later. If he can tape them together and say, he gets hit and it gets hurt worse–it’ll still have to be surgically repaired. It ain’t that complicated. If he can catch and not fumble, then he should play and have surgery after the season. If he can’t catch or hold the ball, the team should put him on IR. This is all made-for-TV, typical Dallas drama.

13. bobby927 says: Dec 13, 2012 11:13 AM

Guaranteed multiple drops if he plays. Although that was the norm even without the injury.

14. steelersownyou says: Dec 13, 2012 11:31 AM

Ryan Clark gonna take care of that broken leg thing sex kept talking about. Get ready for breakdown!

15. steelpenbucs87 says: Dec 13, 2012 11:52 AM

johnnyjagfan says:
    Dec 13, 2012 11:01 AM

It’s not quite as cut and dry as that from my understanding. The “further” damage that the finger my sustain is potentially irreversible from what I’ve seen. So its not just a matter of his present capabilities, but possibly losing functionality of the finger long term. While it doesn’t seem like a big deal – the index finger is imperative in cleanly catching balls.

I also recognize that I’m looking at this through Black and Gold colored glasses and I’m hoping he doesn’t play.

16. thetooloftools says: Dec 13, 2012 12:46 PM

Just so he doesn’t use it as an excuse if he drops balls.

17. koydetmerforever says: Dec 13, 2012 1:10 PM

didn’t he catch a TD after he injured the finger last week? He looked fine to me.

18. oaklegend says: Dec 13, 2012 1:44 PM

Too young and foolish to make this decision for himself. Shame on the team for not proacting and benching him in order to save his future. When foolishness meets foolishness the result is usually a bad one.

This is ridiculous unless they are just messing with heads.

19. CowboyErik says: Dec 13, 2012 2:30 PM

TAPE has been his intention from the first moment it happened! PEriod! just gotta play a few weeks and the Cowboys will likely be retired for the 2012 Season anyways; maybe 1 playoff game but I don’t see them winning a game in playoffs

20. bobby927 says: Dec 13, 2012 7:30 PM

PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS? You kiddin’ me? They just hope they can win a game. . . . . .

21. steelcityfinest13 says: Dec 14, 2012 5:49 PM

Steelersownyou beat me to it…but hope clark dont fly his way…it could get ugly!