Eric Dickerson doesn’t want Adrian Peterson to break his record

ericdickerson Getty Images

Vikings running back Adrian Peterson has openly discussed his goal of breaking Eric Dickerson’s single-season rushing record. Dickerson is openly rooting against Peterson.

Dickerson told Mike Freeman of CBS that he doesn’t have anything against Peterson, but he’d prefer for his 2,105-yard season in 1984 to stay atop the single-season rushing list.

“Adrian is a class guy,” Dickerson said. “I don’t watch football any more. I don’t want sports. I just see the highlights. I see his highlights and he’s a great player. I don’t want him to break my record but I wish him the best.”

Dickerson said he’s not nervous because he doesn’t think Peterson, who has 1,600 yards this season, will get 505 in his next three games.

“I don’t want him to break it,” Dickerson said. “I’ll be honest. I don’t want to see it. If anyone ever broke it, and if my son played football, I’d want my son to break it. But that’s it. No one else. Again, he’s a phenomenal player, and seems like a good dude. If a player was to break it, I’d probably want it to be Adrian, but I like having the record. I don’t think it’s going to be broken.”

Dickerson is probably right about that. As great as Peterson has been this season, he’d have to be even better to top Dickerson’s record: Peterson hasn’t totaled 500 yards over any three-game span this year. Peterson has had a great season, however, and it’s amazing that he’s even close to Dickerson.

And Peterson having a great season but falling short is a good reminder of the greatness of Dickerson.

Permalink 40 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, St. Louis Rams
40 Responses to “Eric Dickerson doesn’t want Adrian Peterson to break his record”
  1. h3min1230 says: Dec 13, 2012 6:15 PM

I bet if he doesn’t break it this year, he comes back stronger next year and breaks it..

2. danolson68 says: Dec 13, 2012 6:16 PM

Give Dickerson credit, at least he’s honest. I certainly don’t blame any athlete for wanting their records intact.

3. wagnut says: Dec 13, 2012 6:20 PM

Can’t blame him…hopefully even more incentive? If anyone can do it, its AP.

They are both awesome

4. samanthasteeleruinedmyqb says: Dec 13, 2012 6:20 PM

Thank you for your honesty.

5. ttommytom says: Dec 13, 2012 6:20 PM

Honest answer. Glad to see that…

6. gregm5s7 says: Dec 13, 2012 6:22 PM

Considering MJD led 2011 in rushing with 1,604 yards, what he has already accomplished so far is amazing.

Breaking 2,000 is from his spot right now is a tall order, let alone trying to go over 2,100.

7. kingpel says: Dec 13, 2012 6:22 PM

Classic Eric Dickerson. LA still loves ya man!

8. NoobTubeTV says: Dec 13, 2012 6:37 PM

AP has the schedule to do it…

9. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Dec 13, 2012 6:38 PM

“That’s just a selfish attitude Dickerson.” Sincerely, the ’72 Dolphins

10. Mr. Wright 212 says: Dec 13, 2012 6:39 PM

If his carries hadn’t been limited as they worked him back into game shape, he’d have it already. He will eventually break it, although he only has 3-4 more years to do it, honestly. Don’t see him breaking 2,000 at age 32.

11. vikesfansteve says: Dec 13, 2012 6:40 PM

AD isn’t even close yet, if he has 2000 after the next 2 games then it would be worth mentioning. He is going to need to be spectacular just to get 2000. Not doubting he can but right now that is so far off.

12. guvsta says: Dec 13, 2012 6:49 PM

Forget AD- Reggie Bush is going to break it. I remember him telling everyone he was going to lead the league in rushing. He only needs about 1400 yards over the next 3 games. It’s going to be spectacular!

13. tincansailor981 says: Dec 13, 2012 7:03 PM

if you Eric Dickerson didn’t want his record broken he should have run for more yards when he had the chance LOL Get over yourself, old dude, records are made to be broken.

14. bleedgreenation says: Dec 13, 2012 7:06 PM

How did Jamal Lewis ever get close to this record?

15. JaminJake says: Dec 13, 2012 7:08 PM

Can’t knock Eric for being honest. No one wants to see themselves eclipsed.

16. lennydpocketqb says: Dec 13, 2012 7:09 PM

That’s fantastic. If only Dan Marino could have that kind of honesty.

17. catquick says: Dec 13, 2012 7:19 PM

OJ Simpson would have had 2500 if they played 16 games instead of 14.

18. modellforprez says: Dec 13, 2012 7:20 PM

break a leg!

19. maddog111 says: Dec 13, 2012 7:21 PM

Like the honesty. And while I don’t think Dickerson is a top 3 all-time rb, it’s hard to argue he’s not the most underated ever. He never cracks anyone’s top 10 list and he has got to be top 5.

20. manupngrowapair says: Dec 13, 2012 7:22 PM

AP hasn’t fumbled at the goal line nearly enough to be compared to Eric Dickerson!

21. cosanostra71 says: Dec 13, 2012 7:28 PM

Dickerson was a great player. To maddog111 – Dickerson and Earl Campbell are definitely two of the more underrated players today.

22. hatesycophants says: Dec 13, 2012 7:32 PM

Barry could have broken it with ease.

All records will fall.

23. reebs33 says: Dec 13, 2012 7:42 PM

Where would he be if wasn’t on such a short leash to start the season? I like AP, but he should be more worried about the Vikings making the playoffs, rather than just getting a record. The record seems to be more important to him than the post season. Truly great players care about one thing…winning.

24. nesuperfan says: Dec 13, 2012 7:44 PM

The way AP has been talking about breaking the record has turned me off. Shut up and run, and if you break it, great. I am now in the ED camp, and hope AP doesn’t break it. It seems like a moot point regardless: I can’t seem him running for 500 yards in three games.

25. joeyb3878 says: Dec 13, 2012 7:48 PM

I don’t think AP should be the comeback player of the year on the strength that he really didn’t go anywhere. The man had a devastating knee injury at the end of last season and has only missed one game. It is really a testament to how great an athlete he is to return from an injury like that without missing a beat………..

26. joeyb3878 says: Dec 13, 2012 7:49 PM

…….. There should be an award named after Adrian Peterson

27. billbrasky72 says: Dec 13, 2012 7:53 PM

Rams, Texans, and Packers defenses better look out. Don’t know if Peterson will get the record or not, but the guy was probably the most motivated player in the NFL even before he was chasing a record.

28. manningbowl88 says: Dec 13, 2012 7:56 PM

never got a chance to see dickerson but its one of those records where you want a guy like AP to break it and not some moron like CJ breaking it. if AP cant break it i hope it never does until another guy like AP comes back around

29. tluke25 says: Dec 13, 2012 7:57 PM

catquick says: Dec 13, 2012 7:19 PM

OJ Simpson would have had 2500 if they played 16 games instead of 14.
    —————————-

OJ played when offenses threw the ball only 14 times a game. Eric Dickerson and A.P. played when they didn’t.

30. rajbais says: Dec 13, 2012 8:02 PM

I respect Eric Dickerson, but it needs to be broken because I am tired of the rhetoric “it’s a passing league” and “the running back position is becoming extinct”.

Running backs are valuable and Adrian Peterson shows you why they are!!

31. purpleguy says: Dec 13, 2012 8:03 PM

I appreciate his straightforward, honest response. With only 3 games to go, AP isn’t going to break his record anyhow.

32. db105 says: Dec 13, 2012 8:12 PM

Did their offensive lines have anything to do with their rushing success?

33. hkemp99 says: Dec 13, 2012 8:30 PM

Sure it’s an honest answer. But it’s also great insight as to why Dickerson was considered one of the all-time selfish players. Sounds like he’s a dick even in retirement.

34. rockbottom37 says: Dec 13, 2012 8:32 PM

I dont even think he comes close to Barry Sanders rec of 2,053 in 1998..Vikes play come decent DEF w 3 remaining gms

35. packerman1968 says: Dec 13, 2012 8:33 PM

Dear Santa, Please let AD, break Dickersons record. Just not against the Packers.

36. legeisyaj says: Dec 13, 2012 9:01 PM

I love honesty.

37. pappavike says: Dec 13, 2012 9:14 PM

With three games left Petterson only needs to average 168.3 a game And the Texans are the toughest team left on thier schedule!! He’s already run for over 200 yards on the packers! If they beat the Bears Sunday? will they have any thing left to play for against the Vikes So that leaves the Rams and can’t imagine Petterson not having a great game!! And he want’s the team to win more than breaking the record! But knows the Vikes need him to run well for the team to win!! Petterson is well motivated with so much to play for!! Bad news for Dickerson

38. jody46 says: Dec 13, 2012 9:51 PM

ok why is this a story who in the world would want their record broken unless it was a bad record lol. I would like to see peterson beat it but I doubt he will saying this I think sooner or later someone will break it sooner or later but I can never imagine anyone saying please break my record especially one that was great. get real

39. skolvikesskol says: Dec 14, 2012 12:09 AM

Like last year, we aren’t going to the playoffs. Like last year we still have something cheer for. Watching Allen challenge for the sack record was a ton of fun. Watching AP try to break a record will be a ton of fun. Can’t wait!

40. samanthasteeleruinedmyqb says: Dec 14, 2012 1:14 PM

hatesycophants says:Dec 13, 2012 7:32 PM

Barry could have broken it with ease.
    ____

If what? He had plenty of chances, didn’t he?