Lance Briggs on Jermichael Finley: He’s an idiot

Green Bay Packers Finley drops a pass in front of Chicago Bears Briggs during their NFL football game in Green Bay Reuters

Packers tight end Jermichael Finley’s thoughts on the absence of Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher have made their way to Chicago.

Finley said that he thought the Bears defense might be better off with Urlacher sidelined by a hamstring injury. Bears linebacker Lance Briggs made it abundantly clear that he doesn’t think much of Finley’s thoughts about the unit.

“He’s an idiot,” Briggs said, via Sean Jensen of the Chicago Sun-Times. “Just suit up and play ball. His comments aren’t going to change the outcome of the game, they’re not going to help him or anybody else play better. Doesn’t really matter.”

In an effort to lower any tensions before that happens, Finley took to Twitter Thursday.

“Urlacher is a hall of fame player and person. I meant no disrespect to him in previous comments, I was simply trying to explain that his replacement in the lineup is a good player as well,” Finley wrote.

Assuming Briggs’ assessment doesn’t get Finley a job with the Jets, the two men should run into each other during Sunday’s game between the teams. It should be a fun one.

Permalink 55 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
55 Responses to “Lance Briggs on Jermichael Finley: He’s an idiot”
  1. rodgersrodgersheisking says: Dec 13, 2012 1:38 PM

One and only time I’ll agree with a Bears player.

2. everlong016 says: Dec 13, 2012 1:40 PM

Packer fan here. Can confirm that Finley is indeed an idiot.

3. jrmbadger says: Dec 13, 2012 1:41 PM

Briggs is right, Finley is an idiot.

“Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt”

4. nathanbetz91 says: Dec 13, 2012 1:42 PM

No they won’t.Finley sucks so he’ll never catch a pass.

5. diapaulic says: Dec 13, 2012 1:43 PM

I bleed Green and Gold, and it actually doesn’t even pain me to agree with Lance. Respect. A muzzle should be a mandatory piece of equipment for Finley.

6. rickastleydancemoves says: Dec 13, 2012 1:43 PM

If I were a Packers fan, I’d be counting the days until we released him.

7. buddysguys says: Dec 13, 2012 1:44 PM

he should just focus on catching.

8. packhawk04 says: Dec 13, 2012 1:46 PM

I agree with briggs.

9. thevza says: Dec 13, 2012 1:47 PM

With so much at stake for both teams Sunday, I highly doubt any of this will resonate with any of the players. The media, however…

10. 4sacroc says: Dec 13, 2012 1:47 PM

As a lifelong Green Bay fan, I hafta say: ‘Lance Briggs, I love you, Man!’

11. johosophat says: Dec 13, 2012 1:48 PM

Packer fan here; can confirm this is all very entertaining.

12. kja22 says: Dec 13, 2012 1:48 PM

As a Packer fan I think we’re better without Finley in our lineup. He’s garbage.

13. zoellner25 says: Dec 13, 2012 1:48 PM

I’m a Packer fan and I’m so glad to hear someone else say this. He really is an idiot. Maybe he’ll play for the Lions next year?

14. bla bla bla says: Dec 13, 2012 1:49 PM

I normally don’t put much (if any) stock in the notion of “bulletin board material” but there is NOTHING to gain by firing up the Bears defense; especially their linebackers.

I’ll hate to see Finley blossom elsewhere, but I am more than ready for him to go.

15. glac1 says: Dec 13, 2012 1:51 PM

they’re all spoiled over payed jocks who don’t have a clue…. They’ve been coddled their entire lives….

16. randallflagg52 says: Dec 13, 2012 1:53 PM

Didn’t Finley go to Texas? Other than Earl Thomas every big name player to come out of UT recently has struck me as an idiot. Cedric Benson, Sergio Kindle, Finley and of course Vince Young all were Longhorns…

17. treyanastasio says: Dec 13, 2012 1:53 PM

Another Packer fan who can confirm Finley’s idiot status. That said, Bears still suck.

18. jbos2012 says: Dec 13, 2012 1:56 PM

Urlacher is overrated anyway. If you watch him on a regular basis, you will see that he over runs plays, and is routinely out of position. He does make splash plays from time to time, and is a decent linebacker. But HOF? I think there are linebackers way better than Urlacher right now that will never make the HOF. Finley was right, but so is Briggs. Finley needs to shut up, and play.

19. acdc84 says: Dec 13, 2012 1:56 PM

“Just suit up and play ball.”

Not disagreeing with Briggs, but it’s funny how his teammate was the one to start the talking this week.

20. keevel says: Dec 13, 2012 2:01 PM

I don’t get how saying it is better to sit an aging star who’s banged up to get more mobile guys out there is a bad thing.

21. muskyhunter2542 says: Dec 13, 2012 2:03 PM

Yawn… Im tired

22. judsonjr says: Dec 13, 2012 2:08 PM

It’s nice to see that Lance has finally moved on to something other than whining about being underpaid.

23. victhedemon says: Dec 13, 2012 2:10 PM

Packer fan here. 1. Yes, Finley is an idiot and we’re better without him. 2. Briggs, tell your boy Brandon Marshall to do the same thing, then. Suit up and play ball.

Can’t have it both ways.

24. neer music says: Dec 13, 2012 2:10 PM

lance is right. finley’s from port arthur, tx (and a packer). high probability of idiocy.

-vike’s fan from houston.

25. bigd9484 says: Dec 13, 2012 2:13 PM

Also a packer fan, and I agree with Briggs.

26. ratbirdsrule says: Dec 13, 2012 2:15 PM

Finley is right, urlacker is the most overrated player in history…they will be better/faster without him

27. swaggyy says: Dec 13, 2012 2:16 PM

Urlacher is old and washed up there is no denying that. Finley is indeed an idiot. I think we killed two birds with one stone here fellas

28. redrat2012 says: Dec 13, 2012 2:19 PM

packer fan here

and i completely agree with briggs

can’t wait to get rid of this loudmouth, ball dropping, clown

29. purpleguy says: Dec 13, 2012 2:19 PM

Briggs demonstrated the proper way for an NFL player to express an opinion.

30. waxthat says: Dec 13, 2012 2:22 PM

I never really liked Lance Briggs…until now

31. sirlurksalot says: Dec 13, 2012 2:22 PM

The sad thing is, as a Bears fan I’d rather have him as our team’s TE rather than stone hands Davis. I think — no, I know — we’d be better off if he’s only in on max protect plays (which should be every single down, at least against this defense).

32. mcmeen0576 says: Dec 13, 2012 2:26 PM

Finley Should hush…He will probably be playing for the Bears next year.

33. ratbirdsrule says: Dec 13, 2012 2:29 PM

urlacker…slow…

34. Chuck Wood says: Dec 13, 2012 2:33 PM

Tramon OWNED B-Marsh last time around. I don’t expect differently this time round.

35. lambeaufieldwest says: Dec 13, 2012 2:34 PM

Finally, something that Bears and Packers fans can agree on.

36. castleofcheese says: Dec 13, 2012 2:39 PM

Yeah, Finley is an idiot… But the Bears have beaten us one time in the past four years. Stay in your lane, Briggs.

37. larryboodry says: Dec 13, 2012 2:40 PM

mcmeen0576 says: Dec 13, 2012 2:26 PM

“Finley Should hush…He will probably be playing for the Bears next year.”

We already have a TE who can’t catch…The only difference is, ours is shy.

38. shaggytoodle says: Dec 13, 2012 2:43 PM

While I understand that people are bashing Finley, and he has earned a lot of it. Instead of just cutting him.

I would prefer Finley to find out what James Jones did in the off season. He has been the most improved player from last year. Maybe we are only able to see it, because Jennings or Nelson have been hurt most of the year.

If Finley could have an off-season like his though it would go a long way. He would also need to let his play on the field do the talking. Not so much him.

39. bleedgreenation says: Dec 13, 2012 3:13 PM

There was no broken English in that tweet.. do we really think Finley wrote that.. cmon son

40. mcmeen0576 says: Dec 13, 2012 3:33 PM

@larryboodry

Touche

41. dammitjim30 says: Dec 13, 2012 3:34 PM

I’m a huge Packer fan and I can attest to Brigg’s statement; Finley is an idiot! Please some other team, take him away from the Packers! He’s the only cancer in the locker room. He shouldn’t talk if he can’t back it up.

42. bla bla bla says: Dec 13, 2012 3:38 PM

I despise the Bears, but you guys that are saying Urlacher is overrated or not worthy of the HOF are completely out of your minds.

Father time is catching up to him fast, and he should probably consider retirement, but he was a very dominant force for a very long time.

43. thejuddstir says: Dec 13, 2012 3:42 PM

karma would be Finley missing a block on Briggs, Briggs planting Rodgers so hard that he had to go on IR…….and the Finley would say, “Briggs is overrated and Rodgers should’ve ducked”. Finley is the tool of all tools and a true idiot.

44. tokyosandblaster says: Dec 13, 2012 3:54 PM

As a Packers fan, I think Minnesota is garbage.

That has nothing to do with this story, but it needed to be said, if only to shake things up.

45. thejuddstir says: Dec 13, 2012 4:17 PM

tokyosandblaster says:Dec 13, 2012 3:54 PM

As a Packers fan, I think Minnesota is garbage.

===========================

46. acmepackers says: Dec 13, 2012 4:27 PM

**shaking my head**

It’s better when Finley just drops the ball and keeps his mouth shut while doing it.

47. chipwade says: Dec 13, 2012 5:42 PM

He’s like Martellus Bennett. Extremely talented and a match up nightmare. But he just cannot get their heads 100% in the game. Bennett is doing much better this year though.

48. axespray says: Dec 13, 2012 6:19 PM

nah – cause even when Martellus Bennett couldn’t catch a pass – he was still capable of blocking somebody – … Finley can’t even do that .

smh.

49. axespray says: Dec 13, 2012 6:20 PM

thejuddstir says:
    “Not a NFC Central fan of any team but the above post speaks volumes to the intelligence level of some fans.”
    ————————–
    Weren’t you the one that just left a comment wishing injury upon Rodgers ?

50. fdromanowski says: Dec 13, 2012 6:42 PM

The Packers’ offense is better with Finley out of it too. They won a Super Bowl when he was on IR. we are almost at the point where all of Finley’s potential becomes looked at as wasted talent in a loud-mouth under-performer. As a Packers fan, I am ready for him to move on.

51. billbrasky72 says: Dec 13, 2012 7:17 PM

thejuddstir says:
    ——————————————
    I think your post speaks more of your intelligence. The NFC central hasn’t existed for 11 years.

52. trapshoot says: Dec 13, 2012 7:36 PM

Don’t generally agree with Bears, but he’s right. Finley is an idiot.

53. roastbeefsandwich says: Dec 13, 2012 9:50 PM

I think Mark Chmura has more fans in GB than Finely at this point. Time for him to go.

54. stellarperformance says: Dec 14, 2012 6:59 AM

Briggs thinks he’s an idiot? Welcome to our world.

55. dukemarc says: Dec 14, 2012 12:51 PM

I assume Lance must feel that same way about Brandon Marshall as well….