Marshawn Lynch the gift that keeps on giving for Seahawks

Marshawn Lynch AP

Ask Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch about this weekend’s Buffalo reunion, and you’re not going to get much.

I’m good, boss,” Lynch replied to questions about his time with the Bills, via Eric Williams of the Tacoma News Tribune.

Others are delighted to talk about it, however, as coach Pete Carroll was happy to give up a pair of mid-round picks (a 2011 fourth and a 2012 fifth) to acquire a guy who has rushed for more than 3,000 yards and 27 touchdowns in 40 games for the Seahawks.

“I don’t know if anything is more symbolic than what we’ve done with Marshawn and him playing the way he’s played, and him being the guys he is,” Carroll said. “I think he really is the key element to putting this thing together.”

His powerful running is the perfect complement to an aggressive defense, and the perfect safety net for a rookie quarterback.

The Bills were willing to make the deal after drafting C.J. Spiller in the first round, to go with Fred Jackson. Subtracting a guy with off-field issues wasn’t as big a risk, in their minds.

With the picks, the Bills took tackle Chris Hairston (who is on injured reserve now) and Tank Carder, who was released this preseason and signed with the Browns.

Hairston’s 15 starts aren’t much of a return on the investment, though Spiller and Jackson made them comfortable doing it.

I guess we liked those other two guys better at that point,” Bills coach Chan Gailey said, via Sal Maiorana of the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle. “You have to make decisions that are good for the football team based on the talent you have and the talent you have accumulated.

“We were loaded up there and we took advantage of the opportunity to get value.”

Value is what the Seahawks got out of the deal, along with the kind of presence that’s pushing them toward the playoffs.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks
22 Responses to “Marshawn Lynch the gift that keeps on giving for Seahawks”
  1. travishenryskid says: Dec 13, 2012 2:08 PM

Spiller and Jackson are both better backs than Lynch, and nobody in Buffalo misses him. Good for him for making the best of his situation.

2. thekiller678 says: Dec 13, 2012 2:08 PM

Great revival to a career.

3. ccjcsr says: Dec 13, 2012 2:12 PM

Packes > Bears

4. jjrs89 says: Dec 13, 2012 2:14 PM

One of the best celebrations ever is When he hopped on the injury cart at Cal after scoring a touchdown in that bowl game and drove it around the field. Gotta love it

5. buffalobills2012 says: Dec 13, 2012 2:15 PM

Dont forget the genius move by the Bills to trade a draft pick for Tjax who has yet to be active for a game.

Seriously, who is held accountable for these dumb moves.

Hey Buddy, I have an idea, got back in time and dont draft spiller, who is under used more than any player in the league, and draft JPP….

I blame my father for my allegiance to this sorry franchise.

6. buddysguys says: Dec 13, 2012 2:21 PM

moves like this call out fire me Ralph for both Chan and Buddy…i believe the Saints offered a higher pick and more picks but Buddy being the genius he is (fitz as his QB of the future) declined.

7. swaggyy says: Dec 13, 2012 2:22 PM

Feed the beast! 24 coming toward an end zone near you!

8. superputman says: Dec 13, 2012 2:26 PM

As a Bills fan I loved Marshawn in Buffalo, he’s tough and gritty and is going to fight for every inch he can get. After he was traded I randomly picked an address in Seattle and sent my #24 jersey to it. Hopefully they were a football fan and got the joke. Anyway….

During the 2010 draft, though, I wanted Buffalo to take Spiller and trade Jackson to give us a speedster and a bruiser. Who else would we have taken in the draft at that position? The only QB that went after Spiller in the 1st is/was not much of a QB and a bust.

9. themackstrong says: Dec 13, 2012 2:32 PM

I don’t blame the Bills trading Lynch because they did have two solid HBs. Lynch took about half a year to really understand zone blocking with his offensive line but has been the whole offense and wears teams out. Anybody wants to watch a good piece on Lynch, NFL Films did one with him and Mike Robinson his FB which shows how they see the game and they’re both funny dudes in it.

10. jshawaii22 says: Dec 13, 2012 2:36 PM

Beastmode is the Man in Seahawk land. Thamks, Buffalo

11. gpatrick15 says: Dec 13, 2012 2:36 PM

@travishenryskid:
    You can argue that Spiller is just as god as Lynch, but I don’t think the same can be said for Jackson. He’s been good, when healthy. Nothing spectacular. Lynch has been on a tear and has since revived his career in Seattle, while the two backs chosen over him either spending half a season injured or arguing about the lack of touches. Production wise, the Seahawks got the better end of the deal.

12. randallflagg52 says: Dec 13, 2012 2:41 PM

travishenryskid says:
    Dec 13, 2012 2:08 PM

====================================

Is this what you Bills fans tell yourselves to help you sleep at night? After all “It’s not a lie if you really believe it”.

13. seahawks4alltime says: Dec 13, 2012 2:47 PM

“Spiller and Jackson are both better backs than Lynch”

Well, I guess that all depends on how you define better. I have both Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch on my fantasy team, so I like both. I tried to trade Peyton Manning for CJ Spiller ealier in the year, but that never materialized. Point here is that I do like all three players.

But to me, the “better” back makes the team better in addition to the stats. Not only is Lynch #2 in the NFL in total yards but he is also #5 in the league for touchdowns. But stats don’t tell the whole picture. A “better” back makes the whole team better. And Lynch does that more than any RB in the league. Take Lynch away from the Seahawks and you fundamentally change this team. Sure Turbin has been a strong development but Lynch has undeniable impact on the Seattle offense. And Spiller and Jackson, while great players, are not what I would call “better”.

14. slugbaitspace says: Dec 13, 2012 2:58 PM

travishenryskid says:Dec 13, 2012 2:08 PM

—–

Combined, they have 115 more yards than Lynch, one fewer touchdowns, and two more fumbles, so I would say…um, no.

If you had said Adrian Peterson was a better back than Lynch, then, well, I probably wouldn’t argue with that very much.

15. anthonyjnovelli says: Dec 13, 2012 4:56 PM

He is the most overrated RB in the game. He has a string of 1-3 yard carries then busts open a big one. Very inconsistent.

16. londonps says: Dec 13, 2012 5:56 PM

A lot of great backs get 1-3 yards the bust one open, this isn’t college ball

17. mathomp3 says: Dec 13, 2012 5:58 PM

anthonyjnovelli says:
    Dec 13, 2012 4:56 PM

—————————————-
    Really? Do you REALLY believe that?

If Lynch is only getting 1 or 3 yards, those yards are either straight over or through 2 or 3 defenders.

18. EJ says: Dec 13, 2012 6:37 PM

Spiller is a better back than Lynch. Jackson and Lynch are about even in my eyes. This year CJ Spiller leads the league in yards per carry with 6.6, better than Peterson(6.0), better than Lynch(4.9). That statistic means a lot more than total yards. When called upon Spiller gains much more for his team than Lynch or Peterson. The only RB in the league that has more runs of 20+ yards than CJ(11) is Peterson(18), Lynch only has (6). Spiller would have a lot more total yards if he were given as many carries as Lynch who has (261), CJ has only received the ball (144) times. At (261) carries Spiller would have (1723) yards to Lynch’s (1226). So who is clearly the better back? Spiller. Not to mention the fact that Spiller doesn’t come along with a huge record or has the big probability of getting into trouble… Lynch while in Buffalo: (hit and run), (gun charges), (theft of $20 from the Buffalo Chief of Police’s wife) I am glad for Seattle that Lynch worked out, but I am also glad that the Bills got rid of him because now we have the dynamic runner CJ the thriller Spiller. Go Bills!!!! #BillsMafia4Life

19. billsboy88 says: Dec 13, 2012 11:47 PM

I didn’t like seeing Marshawn leave Buffalo, I could tell he was turning in to one heck of a player. I knew Seattle was getting a great deal.

Things just weren’t really working out with him in Buffalo though. He is from the west coast and is more than thrilled to be back out there. His off-field issues were starting to become a real concern, he was a huge part of our offense and him not being able to play due to silly choices in his personal life did not sit well with the powers-that-be.

I really wish we could have gotten more out of him in the trade. I heard the Pack was offering up A.J Hawk, but for whatever reason the Bills wouldn’t pull the trigger. Just another failure in the life of the Bills.

20. travishenryskid says: Dec 14, 2012 9:01 AM

When the Bills traded Lynch, it was because Jackson beat Lynch out. Jackson was on pace to break OJ and Thurman’s total yardage records before he got hurt. Sorry Seattle. We’ve watched all three, you’ve only watched Lynch. He’s good, but not as good as the two we have.

21. hawks1124 says: Dec 14, 2012 7:21 PM

Spiller was a horrible choice seeing as the team he plays on remains a losing squad. There was so much talent in that draft, and Bills completely whiffed. Why draftsomebody who could help the defense, or that horrible offensive line, but a luxury pick who can’t be a work horse like Lynch. I’m sure Spiller will do just fine picking up yards in garbage time while Lynch gains 1500 yards carrying his team.

22. themackstrong says: Dec 17, 2012 2:08 PM

……………………………………………………

Do all those stats still mean anything when Lynch was 11 yards per carry 113 and a TD sitting on the bench for the 4th again because his team was up 40 points versus your beloved Bills. Marshawn has been the Seahawks identity since he game and will have helped carry this team to 2nd playoffs in 3 years. Enough said.