Texans punter says “I’m not an actual ‘football’ player”

Donnie Jones AP

Texans punter Donnie Jones injured his leg trying to tackle Pats receiver Wes Welker on Monday night.  Jones has a fairly simple explanation for it, which he has provided to teammates inclined to give him grief.

“I told those guys, I said, ‘Look, you guys are NFL football players, I’m not,’” Jones said, via CSNHouston.com.  “So when I get a little bruise or something, it is what it is.  I know my role.  But it’s all in good fun.”

Jones’ remarks give credence to the beliefs of those who view punters and kickers as a step below the folks who don’t use their feet.  (Except, of course, when stomping someone, or kicking them in the crotch.)

“Yeah, I mean I’m not an actual NFL ‘football’ player,” Jones said.  “I mean, come on.  We know our roles.  I had the same type thing in 2008.  I had to push DeSean Jackson out of bounds.  Somehow I chased him down, don’t know how I did it, and I fell and my knee blew up.  Every now and then you get one.  We’re punters and kickers.  We’re a different breed.”

Yes, they are.  But they still deserve respect for their skills.  And it will be hard for them to get it if one of their own is willing to agree with the outdated stereotype that these pro athletes aren’t really athletes.

Permalink 48 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill
48 Responses to “Texans punter says “I’m not an actual ‘football’ player””
  1. shaunypoo says: Dec 13, 2012 2:11 PM

He didn’t say they weren’t athletes, he said “I’m not an actual NFL ‘football’ player,” and “We’re a different breed.”

Maybe he was a soccer player? Aren’t they athletes? And if you haven’t played soccer, your opinion doesn’t count.

2. ccjcsr says: Dec 13, 2012 2:11 PM

Lol, some things are left unsaid!

3. ajb3313 says: Dec 13, 2012 2:12 PM

Aren’t people smart enough to realize punters and linebackers are both “football players,” but that their roles within the game and physical makeup in general are inherently different? This endless debate (or whatever you’d call it) about punters seems silly to me.

4. gbsoccer6 says: Dec 13, 2012 2:14 PM

Funny, but punters and kickers are more FOOTball players then anyone else.

5. rg3sus says: Dec 13, 2012 2:15 PM

I don’t think many of the other punters and kickers in the league will appreciate these comments.

6. webehighrollin says: Dec 13, 2012 2:15 PM

I, for some odd reason, tend to like honest people…

7. logicalvoicesays says: Dec 13, 2012 2:19 PM

I applaud this man for not living a lie. Punter/Kickers should be paid a maximum of 100 dollars total per every game.

8. blackandbluedivision says: Dec 13, 2012 2:21 PM

I hope all the Ray Guy fans are listening.

9. mulxedge says: Dec 13, 2012 2:23 PM

punters and kickers are the only real football players

everyone else are actually handegg players

10. manilarizzo says: Dec 13, 2012 2:23 PM

Ray Guy is very angry right now.

11. bmorepositive123 says: Dec 13, 2012 2:24 PM

Kluwe is flabbergasted

12. janvanflac says: Dec 13, 2012 2:25 PM

i’ve seen some punters make some pretty nice tackles this year. some of them really are football players.

13. mrhojorisin says: Dec 13, 2012 2:26 PM

He didn’t say he wasn’t an athlete; he said he wasn’t an “NFL football player.” And in the context in which he said it, I don’t think it denigrates him or other punters/kickers at all.

14. bathroomben7 says: Dec 13, 2012 2:27 PM

This is why Ray Guy will never be in the Hall of Fame. Punters and kickers are not football players. No more so than long snappers or the guys holding the down markers.

15. rickastleydancemoves says: Dec 13, 2012 2:27 PM

See Chris Kluwe fans?

16. coughlinsredcheeks says: Dec 13, 2012 2:28 PM

It’s guys like him for why Ray Guy isn’t in the HOF

17. mangycougar says: Dec 13, 2012 2:30 PM

Somewhere Martin and Bill Gramatica are nodding in agreement…………

18. turk2875 says: Dec 13, 2012 2:30 PM

This just set Ray Guy’s HOF chances back another 30 years..

19. egomaniac247 says: Dec 13, 2012 2:31 PM

Is it so far fetched to take an actually athletic guy that could contribute on offense or defense (a nickel CB, a RB, a 4th WR, etc) and teach them how to punt effectively?

Why is kicking exclusive to not being able to play another position on the field?

20. nygiantstones says: Dec 13, 2012 2:32 PM

Punters and Tight Ends are among my favorite position players. They are determining factors in the field position game. They help the defense by backing up the opposing offense and help move the chains and block for the running game, respectively. Without these two positions doing well, teams aren’t going to maximize what everyone else is doing on the field. Landeta and Bavaro all day long man. Superbowls were won on the backs of players like them.

21. bergencountyjc says: Dec 13, 2012 2:33 PM

If not for the Saints punter making several FOOTBALL PLAYS against Wilson last Sunday, he would have ran back a couple more touchdowns.

22. peytonsneck18 says: Dec 13, 2012 2:34 PM

the colts will smash u and u will see afterwards if u still want to be labeled a real football player

23. mdd913 says: Dec 13, 2012 2:38 PM

DJones is being modest. He is actually a pretty fantastic athlete.

24. myroncopesflask says: Dec 13, 2012 2:39 PM

Seems like Punters are the only players who ever say anything truthful .

25. kmooresd85 says: Dec 13, 2012 2:42 PM

dont look down on punters. i was at a game a few years back where mike scifres single handedly knocked the peyton led colts out of the playoffs

26. kd75 says: Dec 13, 2012 2:43 PM

YOu are a NFL player.

They can’t do what you do. You can’t do what they do and they can’t do what some other guy does and that other guy can’t do what they do.

Its a team. You need people who can punt one inside the 5 in the Super Bowl. That leads to a safety.

You are just as important as any other player on the team.

27. benh999 says: Dec 13, 2012 2:45 PM

Finally a punter yapping about something I can agree with.

28. hart089 says: Dec 13, 2012 2:52 PM

shaunypoo says:Dec 13, 2012 2:11 PM

Hey man, i played soccer like everyone else…..when i was 6 and didnt know any better

29. eatitfanboy says: Dec 13, 2012 2:54 PM

I don’t think this will do too much to lessen the respect other players have for kickers and punters because just about everyone will realize that he was just trying to be funny.

30. 8to80texansblog says: Dec 13, 2012 3:00 PM

peytonsneck18 says:
    Dec 13, 2012 2:34 PM
    =====================

Unless Luck throws for 3 picks like we know he is completely capable of…

Freeney v Brown on the left side will be a great matchup in this game, Mathis v Newton on the right, not so much, but the best way to slow down those two freight trains…

Arian Foster

Arian will go 130yds 2Tds and 50 rcvg yds. Colts can’t handle him, never have, especially not in Houston.

31. wolfpack152 says: Dec 13, 2012 3:07 PM

I agree egomaniac – Some of the best High School Players/Athletes on the field did punting duties as well as playing both sides. Maybe it’s a fear of exposing the player to more injuries at the NFL level – but more likely the time to practice being accurate in crucial moments required for NFL teams just isn’t there for a skill position player.

32. jsmanias says: Dec 13, 2012 3:12 PM

—-

Because it would take time away from being a CB, WR, etc. They would have find time to practice outside of when the defense and offense are practicing, meetings, weightlifting, etc. Basically, jack of all trades, master of none…

33. icecubeusedtobeangry says: Dec 13, 2012 3:21 PM

Its funny people ripping on Chris Kluwe because he feels he is in the same class as anyone else in the NFL. Maybe he is in a lower class, but he still is more athletic and makes more money than anyone who posts on this site who is not a professional athlete.

34. szwhtsup123 says: Dec 13, 2012 3:23 PM

And that’s not really a big paycheck

35. nananatman says: Dec 13, 2012 3:24 PM

Steve Weatherford is a sick kicker!

36. txtuff says: Dec 13, 2012 3:29 PM

It’s clear the guy was trying to be funny and was joking around, why so serious?

37. thompgk says: Dec 13, 2012 3:33 PM

He’s exactly right. These guys go down for the season and the teams usually don’t skip a beat.

38. thatswhatimsayin says: Dec 13, 2012 3:36 PM

Oh great! I can’t wait for the profanity laced tirade Kluwe is gonna go on.

39. leeeroooyjeeenkiiins says: Dec 13, 2012 3:38 PM

His reasoning is stupid though. Freakish injuries happen all the time, even to the best of players. Many ACLs are torn simply by trying to cut in the grass and something goes wrong.

40. silvergt99 says: Dec 13, 2012 3:51 PM

That’s Ok, Goodell wants to take your Job away.

41. cynicalvision says: Dec 13, 2012 3:54 PM

Last time I checked the Rams punter had more passing yards than Tebow. I guess he’s not a real football player either.

42. texans3four says: Dec 13, 2012 3:58 PM

As soon as Kluwe returns from the LGBT conference, he will have something to say about this…

43. clayme52 says: Dec 13, 2012 4:10 PM

In the words of the great Rich Eisen, “Punters are people too!”

44. skittlesareyum says: Dec 13, 2012 4:44 PM

Most positions have different roles. Are you going to say an offensive lineman is not a football player because he sucks at tackling and can’t carry the ball without fumbling? Lots of cornerbacks don’t like tackling. Most linebackers suck at blocking. So what’s the requirement here? Is it actually getting hit?

Whatever your thoughts, there’s no way a punter and kicker aren’t essential to your football game. Try and win without them.

45. harrisonhits2 says: Dec 13, 2012 5:23 PM

Adam Vinatieri made several great tackles when he played for the Pats, and I’ve seen a number of other punters and kickers do the same over the years.

If he’s not a “real football player” its because he chooses not to be when he should be doing just the opposite.

46. jjbadd385 says: Dec 13, 2012 6:15 PM

I remember watching a game several years ago when a team (dont remember which one) had lost their kicker and didnt have a backup. You quickly realized how important their roles were, & they are players of very much importance. Another reason I would consider not watching football if they take the kickoff away. In short, I disagree with this guy.

47. bkh405 says: Dec 13, 2012 6:40 PM

Preaching to the choir Donnie. I watched him let Patrick Peterson run right by him without even making a half-hearted attempt at stopping him. Good punter, poor football player.

48. avoidtheboyd says: Dec 13, 2012 7:29 PM

None of the Texans looked like NFL football players the other night…