Dez Bryant: If we weren’t fighting for a playoff spot, I’d have surgery

Dez+Bryant+Philadelphia+Eagles+v+Dallas+Cowboys+OPV27D8uHnWl Getty Images

Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant has decided to delay surgery on a broken index finger, risking permanent damage, because he says a chance to make the playoffs now is more important than considering what shape his finger might be in for the rest of his life.

The position that we are in, that makes me want to be out there,” Bryant said, via ESPNDallas.com. “If there was anything less than what we got a chance of, I would have went ahead and got surgery.”

NFL receivers have sacrificed their fingers for their teams before — just ask Torry Holt, whose finger permanently looks like this. But it’s becoming increasingly rare, in the increasingly safety-conscious NFL, to hear a player baldly explain that he’s putting his future health on the line because he wants to win now.

But Bryant says he practiced on Friday and was able to put the pain in his finger out of his mind.

“It is a mental thing,” Bryant said. “I felt like if I go out there and am worrying about my finger, about catching the football, there is no need for me to be out there. I went out today in practice as if there wasn’t anything wrong with my finger. I feel like that’s my mindset about it.”

That’s an old-school mindset, and one that will endear Bryant to Cowboys fans. Even if it’s not the decision a doctor would advise.

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
43 Responses to “Dez Bryant: If we weren’t fighting for a playoff spot, I’d have surgery”
  1. db105 says: Dec 14, 2012 9:16 PM

He’ll sue the NFL and Cowboys 20 years from now.

2. redskinspolo says: Dec 14, 2012 9:22 PM

Dez have the surgery, you guys will not be making the playoffs..

3. raiderapologist says: Dec 14, 2012 9:23 PM

Welcome to the new, kinder, gentler, softer NFL, where a broken finger generates multiple articles, and the guy with the broken finger is viewed as a hero.

4. shotgunnoblitz says: Dec 14, 2012 9:25 PM

Even if you make the playoffs that broken finger is gonna be messed up. You are still a young guy, if you have permanent damage there you might not last in a league where you already will likely be out by the time you are 28.

5. snotienose says: Dec 14, 2012 9:26 PM

Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant has decided to delay surgery on a broken index finger, risking permanent damage, because he says a chance to make the playoffs now is more important.

Go ahead and schedule your surgery next week Dez, the playoffs will be out of reach after Sundays game.

6. logicalvoicesays says: Dec 14, 2012 9:27 PM

What he, Dallas and Giant fans don’t realize is that the Redskins won the NFC East weeks ago on MNF. All that’s happening now are the finishing touches…the Redskins WILL win out and the other two are gonna stumble out.

7. purplengold says: Dec 14, 2012 9:58 PM

have the surgery while you still have the finger

8. abninf says: Dec 14, 2012 10:10 PM

I’d play as well. No question. His damn QB played with a broken rib and collapsed lung. Someone like Rothlesburger would stay home.

9. iced107 says: Dec 14, 2012 10:22 PM

As a Rams fan, when bryant said he was going to play despite needing surgery and risking permanent damage – Tory holt’s finger was the first thing that came to mind and I tried to explain to my cowboy friend that I think this is stupid.

10. flavordave says: Dec 14, 2012 10:38 PM

Dez is so brave. Reminds me of when Emmitt Smith would get carted off the field in the first qrt then miraculously jog back on the field minutes later like a hero.

11. omniscient48 says: Dec 14, 2012 10:39 PM

He will have the finger surgery and brain transplant done at the same time.

12. andreweac says: Dec 14, 2012 10:43 PM

Dez is a man on the football field.

13. justintuckrule says: Dec 14, 2012 10:44 PM

Schedule the surgery next week

14. sasattack says: Dec 14, 2012 10:52 PM

How can something like that not be able to be fixed? We can transplant hearts but we can’t straighten out a finger that’s been broken? Doesn’t seem right. Do I start Dez, Cecil, or Danario?

15. rodgers419 says: Dec 14, 2012 11:18 PM

He has to play. He doesn’t have a choice. If he sits out then all he’s going to hear about for the next 10 years is how soft he is and how he let the team down. This is why management should make the decision, not him.

16. shartlos says: Dec 14, 2012 11:27 PM

Why do Redskins fans always sound so stupid? I mean every time, winning or losing, when a redskin fan enters the conversation it just becomes awkward and meaningless. Why?

17. sabatimus says: Dec 14, 2012 11:58 PM

Hey Dez: You’re not.

18. bigezbob says: Dec 15, 2012 12:21 AM

It’s a finger. Messed up or not he can live with it.
    Count 1 new Dez fan even if I hate the Cowboys

19. CaJonMcChicken says: Dec 15, 2012 1:29 AM

Ronnie Lott sacrificed a finger in order to keep playing and we’re talking about this?!?

20. namriverrat69 says: Dec 15, 2012 1:43 AM

Wow, if playing with a broken finger makes him a hero, what does that make Kobe?

21. CowboyErik says: Dec 15, 2012 1:51 AM

Roger Staubach has the most mangled fingers I’ve ever seen

22. trefkennedy says: Dec 15, 2012 2:04 AM

Regardless, gotta respect Dez love the heart

23. expodis says: Dec 15, 2012 2:37 AM

Thats the kind of guy I want on my team… But in 10 years, we will hear about how the “coaches” pressured him into shortening his career or something stupid like that… I just hope he is real about this… From a currently tie-breaking losing Vikes fan to Cowboys fan…

24. cswenson218 says: Dec 15, 2012 3:23 AM

All I can think of is the extra attention a finger like that would get on the way to work every morning. I’f love to have that finger.

25. gurnblanstonreturns says: Dec 15, 2012 4:05 AM

Just need a couple good drops. C’mon , dez. Hail!

26. xavier46 says: Dec 15, 2012 4:28 AM

raiderapologist says:
    Dec 14, 2012 9:23 PM

**************************

Tell me, what have you done at your job lately to be viewed as a hero?

I hate the Cowboys, but Dez has gone from an infection to a ideal teammate; maturity. He is placing the team (company) above his own interests; when did you last do that?

27. TheWizard says: Dec 15, 2012 4:33 AM

Seems reasonable, up until now something I would not have used in the same sentence with this guy.

Without him they probably have zero chance.

28. randallflagg52 says: Dec 15, 2012 6:05 AM

Dez looks “fabulous” in that picture. Not sure why he’d miss a game.

29. stevenray72 says: Dec 15, 2012 6:29 AM

Fez the Cowboys will loose with or without you.

30. hedleykow says: Dec 15, 2012 7:35 AM

Spare me the drama until the Cowboys win a game.

31. dccowboy says: Dec 15, 2012 7:59 AM

Doesn’t take long for the Redskins fans unfounded arrogance to return. LOL, they’ve won 17 games in three years and they talk like their the 60’s Packers.

32. fissels says: Dec 15, 2012 8:48 AM

When the going gets tough, the tough get going

33. moerawn says: Dec 15, 2012 8:51 AM

After the Pittsburgh game you can have the surgery.

34. nokoolaidcowboy says: Dec 15, 2012 9:14 AM

Man, you just put big ‘ol bull eye on that finger of yours!

35. mossnomore says: Dec 15, 2012 9:29 AM

36. twoody50 says: Dec 15, 2012 9:48 AM

I do not believe anyone ever accused Dez of being smart.

37. mungman69 says: Dec 15, 2012 10:27 AM

Idiot.

38. westclaims says: Dec 15, 2012 10:35 AM

oh, he’s such a hero

39. raiderapologist says: Dec 15, 2012 11:27 AM

xavier46 says: Dec 15, 2012 4:28 AM

raiderapologist says:
    Dec 14, 2012 9:23 PM

**************************

Tell me, what have you done at your job lately to be viewed as a hero?

—————
    I’m a business owner, and place the company above my own interests on a regular basis. My family and my employees count on me to be successful. It doesn’t make me me a hero, and I wasn’t attacking Bryant personally. I just can’t believe all the fuss over a guy with a broken finger in a league where guys have played with broken arms and legs.

40. jafcpa says: Dec 15, 2012 1:01 PM

Only ONE head coach wins a Super Bowl each year. The Eagles have been in the hunt under coach Reid ALMOST every year. In addition, with a very few exceptions..there is no one who has done better in the NFL.

41. damianx31 says: Dec 15, 2012 2:29 PM

“mossnomore says: Dec 15, 2012 9:29 AM

It seemed like this guy has gone out of his way since this injury to talk about how much of a warrior he is.”

——————————————————————

He answers the questions that he’s asked. You act as if he’s sitting there in the interview asking the media to ask him about his finger.

42. electionconfidential says: Dec 15, 2012 2:30 PM

Fool. This team is totally incapable of winning a Super Bowl, but Bryant is still capable of having a career. I’m sorry for Dez that he has no strong person in his life to advise him. This team has virtually enslaved him (with high pay of course) by monitoring him around the clock, but he’s willing to play with broken bones simply because the mathematical elimination clock hasn’t run out??

Who is his agent and why isn’t he fired?

43. patssteelersorgiants says: Dec 15, 2012 11:48 PM

Goodell should immediately order Dez to have the surgery, remain out for the rest of the year, change rules requiring players to catch balls with their hands as this is extremely dangerous, and issue $20,000 fines to any player involved in a hand injury play. All hand injuries should be reviewed in a 5 stage process by medical staff before a player can return.