Landry won’t give Jets hometown discount

Landry AP

In the offseason, the Jets signed safety LaRon Landry to a one-year deal.  When the one year ends, he’ll hit the market, thanks to a clause in his contract that prevents the Jets from using the franchise tag.

And Landry won’t be giving the Jets a hometown discount.  Hell, he doesn’t even know what that means.

What do you mean a discount?” Landry said, via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News.  “Take less over what? From where? . . .  If that [were] the case, I would have taken a hometown discount and stayed with the Redskins. . . .  I love the game.  I love this organization.  I love them for giving me an opportunity.  But at the end of the day, I’m going to sit down with my agent and my family and make the best business decision.”

Landry is known as a fierce hitter, which has caused some to question whether he’s dirty — especially since he has been seen celebrating after hits that put opponents on the ground.

“I might say something to myself . . . and they hear me,” Landry said.  “When I clap, and they say I’m clapping because I hurt somebody, that’s really to myself.  That’s just positive thinking to myself.  It’s nothing like, ‘Okay I’m hurting this guy.’ It’s, ‘I hit this motherf—-r, man.’”

He may be saying something like that when he hits the jackpot on the open market, or when the Jets give him a jackpot to keep him off the open market.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “Landry won’t give Jets hometown discount”
  1. vcstriker16 says: Dec 14, 2012 5:10 PM

Generally this type of conversation is reserved for good players.

2. duncanthecat says: Dec 14, 2012 5:10 PM

Worst thing an organization could do is give this guy a big contract.

3. randyd223 says: Dec 14, 2012 5:12 PM

Laron Landry is horrible, he wont be hitting any jackpots. He probably can’t cover most offensive tackles

4. grogansheroes says: Dec 14, 2012 5:18 PM

Amazing how in a contract drive he has been healthy all year. Makes you go hmm.

5. joeytorontosucks says: Dec 14, 2012 5:23 PM

It’s all about the benjamins for this guy. And celebrating on hits where the receiver gets a first down.

6. rg3some says: Dec 14, 2012 5:42 PM

He would be a great LB in the CFL. He cannot cover anyone. Calling him a safety is a stretch. Unless of course he celebrates a hit while his team is down 20 points on the scoreboard. Clueless…

7. green41563 says: Dec 14, 2012 5:54 PM

This is a classic NFL situation: a draft disappointment gets shipped off to another team where he finally starts to have some success. But rather than take advantage of a good situation, he looks upon his “rebound” as proof that he deserves big money somewhere else. Then, invariably he signs a big contract in another city and fails.

8. rockemsockemrobots says: Dec 14, 2012 6:11 PM

Lets be real. The days of a “hometown” discount in football is over. There isn’t a thing wrong with it from where I sit either. Teams don’t give the players an inch. They view and treat them purely as assets.

Mike Patterson is the perfect example. The Eagles inserted language into his contract to reduce his pay should his brain AVM represent it self. He gets pneumonia (most probably from practicing in the elements), and they try to exploit his reworked contract to reduce his pay. Had his agent not made a big stink about it he would be making less money.

If there were ever a player you would think should be exempt from the cattle treatment by teams, it would be Mike Patterson. He is not, nor is any player.

I say take them for every dime you can players.

9. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Dec 14, 2012 6:53 PM

If the Jets or anyone else give him a “jackpot” they’ll regret it. He can hit big when he actually hits. His career film is full of “flybys” where he came in for big hit, but whiffed. He doesn’t tackle well on a regular basis and he’s a huge liability in pass coverage. He shouldn’t get top 5-10 money at his positions.

10. backindasaddle says: Dec 14, 2012 7:30 PM

This guy is a first class turd. Earlier this year while getting their arsses handed to them by the Patriots, Julian Edleman burned this clown for a TD on long pass play. Later in the game LaRon LaTurd LaLandry intentionally tried to decapitate Edleman with a vicious intentional helmet shot to the head. He’s a POS….plain & simple.

11. csilojohnson says: Dec 14, 2012 7:46 PM

Why? Sure he hits hard. He has absolutely no timing though. He is more of a liability then a benefit.

12. rcali says: Dec 14, 2012 10:17 PM

His personal foul penalties will be a great addition to a team like the Lions.

13. stoptrippn says: Dec 14, 2012 10:18 PM

Upgrade to mays

14. wtfchiefs says: Dec 15, 2012 8:02 AM

This guy is ‘roided out of his mind

15. jwreck says: Dec 16, 2012 12:23 PM

green41563 says: Dec 14, 2012 5:54 PM

_________
    Smartest thing anybody has ever said about football ever.