NFL will observe a moment of silence before all Week 15 games

Supporters of gun control legislation hold candles during a rally in front of the White House in Washington, after a gunman killed 26 people, including 20 children, in Newtown, Connecticut Reuters

The NFL will pause before each game this weekend to recognize the tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut.

At each stadium, just before the playing of the national anthem, a moment of silence will be observed.

Like everyone across America, those in the NFL have been shocked by the shooting at Newtown’s Sandy Hook Elementary School, where authorities say a gunman killed 26 people, 20 of them children aged 5 to 10, before killing himself.

During the moment of silence, hundreds of thousands of fans in NFL stadiums, and millions of fans watching at home, will reflect on the scope of the tragedy. As President Obama said today, “The majority of those who died today were children, beautiful little kids between the ages of 5 and 10 years old. They had their entire lives ahead of them.”

Permalink 47 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
47 Responses to “NFL will observe a moment of silence before all Week 15 games”
  1. johnnycash19 says: Dec 14, 2012 6:16 PM

What kind of sick person does that to kids?

My thoughts and prayers go out to all the people, especially the families, that were affected by this.

This is the worst news I’ve heard in a long, long time.

2. jonesboy226 says: Dec 14, 2012 6:22 PM

All i can say is that this just breaks by heart! All those scared young children!

3. bucs24 says: Dec 14, 2012 6:23 PM

It’s horrible, very sad news my prayers go out to the families.

4. barroomhero80 says: Dec 14, 2012 6:33 PM

Thoughts and prayers with all those families. Poor babies. I can’t even imagine losing my two. What sick fkk does this. Horrible

5. chattanola says: Dec 14, 2012 6:37 PM

Heartbreaking. Those children must have been terrified. Made me think about kids who have to live in a war zone. Very sad.

6. ddesmarais3 says: Dec 14, 2012 6:40 PM

People are so worried about education, how about we get some more protection from sick sick people like this before we have parents not letting their kids go to school.

7. seahawkfan4evr says: Dec 14, 2012 6:41 PM

Nearby in vancouver Washington where I live there was a mall that was attacked just a few days ago and to hear about what happened today so soon after what happened in clackamas it’s horrible.

8. chasewalshsl says: Dec 14, 2012 6:46 PM

terrible. and the bad thing is that there will be copycats. once someone is willing to take their own life all bets are off.

9. FoozieGrooler says: Dec 14, 2012 7:05 PM

10. vbe2 says: Dec 14, 2012 7:18 PM

Sad news but what does it have to do with the NFL and professional football?

Nice gesture, but seems “image motivated”.

11. finzd54 says: Dec 14, 2012 7:26 PM

I am from CT and about 45 minutes away from the town. It has been a most difficult day with most if us hurrying home just to hold our children and tell them we love them. It is an unthinkable act, a selfish act that has rocked our State to the core. Why the innocent children? Is nothing sacred anymore? As a parent who kisses their child goodbye every morning before I send her to school, this is the worst case scenario and a parents worst nightmare.

Hopefully those Angels will bring their families peace from above!
    Just tragic.

12. ilovefoolsball says: Dec 14, 2012 7:32 PM

You think you have problems in your life then this. Puts things into perspective.

13. crik911 says: Dec 14, 2012 7:36 PM

What kind of sicko gives any of these a thumbs down? May you rot in hell beside the killer.

14. purpwalk says: Dec 14, 2012 7:39 PM

why kill a bunch of kids?

15. fredsingleton says: Dec 14, 2012 7:44 PM

To the people thumbing down these posts, what is wrong with you? Seriously, please see a psychiatrist. It’s not funny, it’s disgusting. There is something wrong with you.

Thoughts and prayers go out to all the people affected from this tragedy. I can’t imagine what the school and the families are going through.

16. dtr3e says: Dec 14, 2012 7:45 PM

I would love to see full time police officers be on school grounds during school hours, and try stop this kind of sicking crap from ever happening again. Those poor kids, and their families, their holiday season will never be the same again :’(

17. floriodontquityourdayjob says: Dec 14, 2012 7:50 PM

Who the F is giving a thumbs down to these comments??? The inability to feel compassion and empathy makes you sick f**ks as well!

18. damianx31 says: Dec 14, 2012 7:52 PM

How can anyone dislike these comments? Gotta love the anonymity of the internet. Almost as cowardly as the shooter.

19. capesquad says: Dec 14, 2012 7:54 PM

I try to console myself with the observation that my kids live so ‘in the moment’ and are still so young that the idea of their mortality is still foreign. I like to think the kids in that building were as blissfully unaware.
    Prayers to all the families involved.

20. 9er4life52 says: Dec 14, 2012 7:55 PM

Once again innocent lives taken these kids have barely been alive to fulfill whatever dream they may have had… Sad day. My Thoughts and prayers with everyone.

21. kevin1285 says: Dec 14, 2012 7:56 PM

As a resident of Newtown for my whole life this is absolutely shocking. Such a small beautiful town. Practically no crime. Reading the first sentence of the article was heartbreaking. Wish we could go back to the days when I would have to tell people that Newtown was a small town outside Danbury. Couldn’t have asked for a better place to grow up, and now all we’ll be known as is the site of a massacre

22. notorious343 says: Dec 14, 2012 8:01 PM

Just curious….. How are there dislikes to these comments? WTF is wrong with you people? You fools need to be thrown in a padded room.

23. jamesmatthiascox says: Dec 14, 2012 8:03 PM

i would love to meet the people that are giving all these comments thumbs down

24. samquix says: Dec 14, 2012 8:09 PM

people who thumbs down posts that are expressing condolences and well wishes should take the place of those poor unfortunate children and victims god rest their souls.

25. giants56 says: Dec 14, 2012 8:11 PM

Who are the a-holes who give thumbs down on this topic…You should be banned for life…LOSERS!

26. rg3thetruth says: Dec 14, 2012 8:44 PM

Such a sad tragedy! While we are on topic of this sick act…who are the sick people giving thumbs down on these comments! Classless!

27. glorybquick says: Dec 14, 2012 8:59 PM

who is the sick s o b thumbing down the supportive comments

28. adubsinpurple says: Dec 14, 2012 9:05 PM

It makes me so sad that those children killed by that coward don’t have a chance to experiance life whether good or bad, children deserve that chance. I hugged my child so hard when I got home today. Our hearts and prayers go out to all the familys effected by this, much love and god bless.

29. mattypbillsmafia says: Dec 14, 2012 10:18 PM

@Kevin1285

The thoughts and prayers of the entire nation are with your community.

30. poison66 says: Dec 14, 2012 10:21 PM

Vbe2, are u evil?? Football is not the issue, these guys are doing right, as compassionate people would. Crawl back under your rock…….

31. mrplow3 says: Dec 14, 2012 10:30 PM

“If only we had in this country the same easy accessibility and wide availability to mental health care as there is to, say, guns.”

Wait, are you implying guns are cheap and mental health care is expensive?

The weapon this nut used to kill those kids goes for about $1,500. Please explain to me how that’s more easily accessible than an appointment with a shrink.

32. denverwally says: Dec 14, 2012 10:31 PM

I just wonder how those parents can go on… losing your child, barely beginning their lives. I suppose you never get over the horrible pain, you just lean to live with the anguish for the rest of your life.
    Unimaginable. Pray for them.

33. liverpoolred04 says: Dec 14, 2012 11:29 PM

Maybe the NFL should gives some of the billions of dollars it makes to the families, as opposed to holding a moment of silence, which realistically does nothing.

34. osiris33 says: Dec 14, 2012 11:57 PM

This has nothing to do with football. We watch the NFL to escape from these kinds of things. I for one don’t want to be preached to about this or have to watch players wear pink for a whole month for a “cause” that has nothing to do with football. Give it a rest NFL. If we want to focus on this kind of news we’ll watch news shows. Hate me all you want.

35. justintuckrule says: Dec 14, 2012 11:58 PM

I’m so upset off I don’t know at what. I’m for gun control but am not naive to ever think it will happen because the gun lobby is too strong. However, can we all agree that it’s time to put everyone through the ringer before they are legally able to buy such weaponry. I don’t see any reason why everyone can’t be forced to take strict psyche exams before they can buy guns.

36. patsfan22 says: Dec 15, 2012 1:52 AM

Ignore the people thumbing down these comments, they’re just doing it for attention (at least I hope so) and aren’t worth your time.

RIP to all the poor innocent kids that had their whole lives ahead of them, and to the teachers that also lost their lives. I’m still in shock that anyone could do something so evil, reports are saying that the shooting was done at close range… how can anyone shoot five year old kids, let alone at close range? That’s the most screwed up thing I’ve ever heard.

37. MyTeamsAllStink says: Dec 15, 2012 5:22 AM

I won’t lie,I cried when I watched this on TV and I hugged my daughter long and tight before I went to work tonight.Truly a sad sad event and I have the families in my thoughts and prayers.

and the people giving the thumbs down it just shows what kind of class you have.

38. superdons says: Dec 15, 2012 6:34 AM

Don’t mean to sound mean in above comment, but if this isn’t the time to sort this mess out, it never will be.

39. gopats413 says: Dec 15, 2012 7:04 AM

Terrible. This is one of the saddest things ive ever heard. Really puts life into perspective and makes you realize how much a gift every day is. Go home and hug your kids.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the familys. This is why teachers should be required to carry guns in school.

40. chris6523 says: Dec 15, 2012 7:24 AM

______________________________

So, mental health care is not accessible in this country. Hmmm. That’s a new one to me. Where I live, I’m certain that the child of a public school employee would have easier access to mental health care than they would to, say, guns.

41. scguy2011 says: Dec 15, 2012 8:10 AM

And the networks won’t cover the moment of silence or our National Anthem – too many (*&*(& commercials to show :-(

42. kingpel says: Dec 15, 2012 8:53 AM

I’m tired of silence. I am ready for people to start speaking out.

43. dolfan72 says: Dec 15, 2012 9:55 AM

I don’t care what your political or religious affiliation is, actions like this are totally reprehensible, especially involving kids! The saddest part may be the surviving children have been scarred for life!

I’m also sick and tired, as a veteran school teacher myself, of hearing every lame excuse imaginable given for the actions of deranged individuals as this.

My daughter’s high school had a message written on a restroom wall sayingColumbine was being re-enacted on the anniversary. The school personnel chose to ignore it originally. I called the board and made sure it wasn’t. I said, “I am a parent first. I’m a school board employee second.”

I will pray for these people.

44. westclaims says: Dec 15, 2012 10:23 AM

It is very sad. But, if you give it all this attention, it just fuels the fire for more events like this.

45. andersong0857 says: Dec 15, 2012 12:37 PM

reason why there is thumbs on on some of these comments. Sad to say but they could be the next murderer up

46. andersong0857 says: Dec 15, 2012 12:38 PM

thumbs down i mean

47. jimjets says: Dec 15, 2012 1:11 PM

Unthinkable horror to those families and the children. Unreal.

Rather than a moment of silence, how about a few hours/days/weeks/months of talks on the NRA and their political supporters and gun control, and ways to help the mentally ill?