Stevie Johnson has no qualms about moving to the slot

St Louis Rams v Buffalo Bills Getty Images

When Bills G.M. Buddy Nix talks about getting a big-time outside receiver, which would allow Stevie Johnson to spend more time operating out of the slot, an obvious question arises.

What does Stevie think of that?

Stevie, as it turns out, likes it.

“To me, the slot means you got access to go left, you got access to go right, you can work up the middle, you’re not going to be pressed as much — and we all know what I can do to people that press me,” Johnson said, via Tim Graham of the Buffalo News.

“You’ll be going against either the safeties or linebackers or the third cornerback.  That’s what I think about when I hear slot.  It seems like easy money for me.”

So he definitely doesn’t see a possible move as a slight.  At all.

“It’s taking advantage,” Johnson said.  “Not to sound overly confident in myself, but I don’t think I can be handled outside.  And now imagine me going against whoever I have to go against in the slot.

“I think it’ll only help us out.  I don’t see it as a demotion when they talk about moving me anywhere.  With the right mentality, I feel we’re just trying to get better as a team.”

That’s definitely the right attitude.  The bigger question, of course, is whether Nix will still be the guy calling the shots in Buffalo in 2013.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill
18 Responses to “Stevie Johnson has no qualms about moving to the slot”
  1. jjrs89 says: Dec 14, 2012 10:31 PM

Too bad his play doesn’t match his confidence

2. ihatethejets23 says: Dec 14, 2012 10:33 PM

Nix should not be calling the shots. Stevie deserves better.

3. bdeviled11 says: Dec 14, 2012 10:43 PM

And he is completely correct. Slot receiver and nickel back need to start getting paid. Very undervalued.

4. iced107 says: Dec 14, 2012 11:11 PM

He’s got a point.

Thing is teams do this all the time – can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen Roddy white, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Danny Amendola, etc. Any receiver that a teams #1 get moved to the slot on certain plays, ESPECIALLY on 3rd down

5. hines86for6 says: Dec 14, 2012 11:17 PM

Chain Gailey deserves one more year. Now that they’re finally healthy on D, they’re starting to perform better. This fan has seen enough “Good” from the Buffalo Bills to think they shouldn’t blow it up quite yet.

Then again, I’m a Tennessee Vols fan who thought Dooley should get a 3rd year after 2011 so what do I know?

6. seanje says: Dec 14, 2012 11:59 PM

It’s definitely the right attitude. In today’s NFL of consistent three-wide (and more) sets, you need guys who can threaten the middle of the field. Many would argue a good slot receiver is a necessity for any good offense. Victor Cruz, Wes Welker, Randall Cobb, Miles Austin. The list goes on.

7. riverhorsey says: Dec 15, 2012 12:05 AM

In other words he couldn’t get separation at the WR position.

8. micker716 says: Dec 15, 2012 12:39 AM

Good answer. He’s not a true #1, but his tools and size could make him a devastating slot receiver.

9. bills87 says: Dec 15, 2012 12:49 AM

Stevie would be a premier slot WR. He’s ALWAYS OPEN in man-to-man and press coverage. Hes a bit slower than your average #1, but he is one of the best route runners in the NFL. He would easily average 80-100 receptions per year with a good QB.

10. magicbucs says: Dec 15, 2012 1:05 AM

Well said. Now get me some fantasy points on Sunday!

11. buffaloman70 says: Dec 15, 2012 1:15 AM

I lived in Las Vegas for years anyone who doesn’t think money runs the world is stupid everyone who controls money will get the outcome they want the NFL is powerful who they want to win when they want does PERIOD so all you people who have a Super Bowl think u really won it just remember we know who the best team was the bookie ( NFL ) doesn’t lose so keep thinking your a winning city or team what a joke you all are

12. EJ says: Dec 15, 2012 6:05 AM

Nix is going nowhere, Buffalo will be his home for at least 1 more year. Ralph Wilson will keep him and Gailey on a tight rope for the 2013 season with high expectations. No Playoffs, no J-O-B. Nix will add the few pieces left to make the team complete, QB, WR2, RT and OLB. If then the team can’t make it into the Postseason…………….

13. xbot5000 says: Dec 15, 2012 6:36 AM

They’re quarterback is terrible. It doesn’t matter where Stevie lines up, Fitzpatrick still wouldn’t be able to get him the ball.

14. chasewalshsl says: Dec 15, 2012 7:04 AM

he already got paid so he doesn’t care where he plays.

15. tcmiller30 says: Dec 15, 2012 8:32 AM

I’m all for it, but if your only threat on the outside is TJ Graham and you still have Fitz throwing the ball it doesn’t matter.

With a healthy Nelson and a new QB Stevie in the slot would look pretty nice.

16. backindasaddle says: Dec 15, 2012 1:53 PM

This guy is very talented. Too bad he’s also an obnoxious Hot Dog punk with a big ego and a bigger mouth.

17. mrcogburn says: Dec 15, 2012 8:51 PM

Stevie Johnson: Often wrong, but never in doubt.

18. acer184 says: Dec 16, 2012 9:09 AM

Stevie has grown up a lot since last year. The Bills organization as a whole is growing. Unfortunately it has taken 10+ years so frustrated fans are expected. On an up note I walked into my local mall sport shop and actually found Bills gear. I live near a city which hosts an AFC east team and this is the first time since I lived here that the Bills had more than a cheap trinket for sale. Go Bills!!!!