Dockett doesn’t know whether he has a future in Arizona

Dockett AP

Two Sundays ago, Cardinals defensive lineman Darnell Dockett reacted strongly to a plan to let the Jets score in order to have a chance to force a tie.

While the team still hasn’t disclosed what Dockett did (we reported he spat in the face of teammate Kerry Rhodes), the franchise saw fit to fine Dockett $200,000.

He spoke about the situation in a recent radio interview, and it appears that the situation may have driven a permanent wedge between Dockett and the organization.

“I have no idea,” Dockett told XTRA 910 Sports in Phoenix, via SportsRadioInterviews.com, as to whether he thinks he has a future with the Cardinals.  “First of all I’m very thankful that the Arizona Cardinals have given me opportunities.  From drafting me and to show my talent, I’m very thankful to the organization.  If I’m not wanted somewhere then I will be happy somewhere else or however that situation may go down.  To all the Cardinals fans, this was not my idea of me being traded or people thinking I might be traded and I came up with this or I said this. I never said that but at the end of the day I’m never going to be anywhere I’m not wanted or I’m not going to be somewhere where I’m treated unfairly. I want to be happy. I play with passion, I give everything I have on the field, I love what I do, I play injured a lot of times and I play through it, I don’t just sit out of games and watch my team go out there and play. Anything I can do to help this football team win I have done it and my record speaks for itself. At the end of the day if it comes down to that then I will take my talents somewhere else.”

Dockett definitely thinks he was treated unfairly via a six-figure fine. “It was shocking,” Dockett said. “‘Man did it come to this?’ I guess they felt like that’s what they had to do or whatever. I felt that it was unfair, I spoke on it, I felt it was out of my hands and I’m not really worried about it. I have a process going on.”

The “process” is an NFLPA grievance, which may or may not result in the facts coming to light.

Whatever happened, the team believes it was significant. Dockett, obviously, believes it wasn’t.  And that disagreement could eventually result in the team and the player parting ways.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Home, Rumor Mill
23 Responses to “Dockett doesn’t know whether he has a future in Arizona”
  1. theuglitruth says: Dec 15, 2012 11:22 AM

You were given direction from the coaching staff to allow the Jets to score in order for the team to have another chance to win the game…you spit in Kerry Rhodes face…and you didn’t take the direction. You deserve the fine you were given, be a man and take it!! Now you want to cry like a baby about not being treated fairly…you made your bed DD…time to lay in it. Stop trying to act like the victim.

2. wayne1693 says: Dec 15, 2012 11:28 AM

The most expensive Loogie in the history of the World!

3. stevemo says: Dec 15, 2012 11:28 AM

Apparently “theuglitruth” doesn’t wait for facts and relies on unconfirmed rumors.

4. theuglitruth says: Dec 15, 2012 11:35 AM

@stevmo…some people just can’t handle the truth.

5. patfanken says: Dec 15, 2012 11:44 AM

I just wanted to check in and see who posted, and all 4 Cardinal fans showed up.

They may be small in number, but boy are they loyal…….lol

6. theuglitruth says: Dec 15, 2012 11:51 AM

Hey patfanken….you’re math teacher would be disappointed…I posted twice, so that makes it 3 fans so far. As Jeff Foxworthy would say “Here’s your sign”.

7. jpb12 says: Dec 15, 2012 11:54 AM

He and his new sponsor (Redman chewing tobacco) will be in Seattle

8. tinbender2000 says: Dec 15, 2012 12:08 PM

Does pro football have a future in Arizona?
    Or even a present?

9. jwreck says: Dec 15, 2012 12:19 PM

theuglitruth says: Dec 15, 2012 11:22 AM

_________
    Dockett wasn’t “whining” about the fine. He was addressing whether this situation, which he seems to acknowledge was at least partly his fault, will force him to look for work elsewhere.

Given how little we know about what actually happened, especially Rhodes’ role in the altercation, it’s pretty tough to speculate on, but it probably boils down to who the new coaching staff is and whether Rhodes, a free agent in 2013, is retained.

Basically, I just took two paragraphs to say “we don’t know what happened, and because we don’t know what happened, the outcome will depedn on a variety of circumstances, but uglitruth is wrong regardless.” Sorry.

10. shackdelrio says: Dec 15, 2012 12:42 PM

We’ll take him in Jacksonville.

11. holahey123 says: Dec 15, 2012 12:58 PM

Welcome to the 49ers, Darnell. Tell Adrian Wilson to follow you too.

12. jeg07 says: Dec 15, 2012 1:04 PM

Love Ray Horton, but Dockett is being misused and over paid for the system the coach runs.

13. djjackson81 says: Dec 15, 2012 1:08 PM

DD is not going anywhere

14. djjackson81 says: Dec 15, 2012 1:13 PM

Over paided and inconsistent DD

15. pemory says: Dec 15, 2012 2:19 PM

As a longtime Cards fan I can only hope the truth of this eventually comes out. I love DD for his motor and ability to blow-up plays and yes, even for his determination to NOT allow the Jets to score another TD just to have an outside shot at tying the score (seriously, with that offensive offense did AZ have any shot at getting a TD and a two-point conversion?). The fine is incredibly steep, so I’d curious to know what could have possibly warranted it.

16. roverboy1949 says: Dec 15, 2012 2:29 PM

I guess “Anything I can do to help this football team win “, doesn’t include doing what he’s told by his coaches. How far did he spit? What is the record, anyways?

17. fordmandalay says: Dec 15, 2012 3:27 PM

Oh just disband the Cards already. 50 years of failure and incompetence is no longer a trend, it’s institutionalized and won’t be changing for another 50 at least.

18. db105 says: Dec 15, 2012 3:44 PM

Tough to win with players that can’t understand game situations and that do not follow orders.

19. ninerswilldominatelikebefore says: Dec 15, 2012 3:48 PM

as a NINER FAN i could give a rats behind about the cards because theyre HORRIBLE but this dockett guy plays our niners tough. I hope the give him a first class ticket to the east coast away from here!!

20. jddre says: Dec 15, 2012 4:24 PM

I totally agree with DD. You don’t give up. How do you explain to the feds that you let a team score – which will lead to accusations of ‘point shaving’?
    Last time I heard there were college basketball teams that did this, and some players were banned for the rest of their eligibility.
    You can’t have it both ways.

21. jddre says: Dec 15, 2012 4:25 PM

FORDmandalay: Oh just disband the Lionss already. 50 years of failure and incompetence is no longer a trend, it’s institutionalized and won’t be changing for another 50 at least.

22. thetooloftools says: Dec 15, 2012 4:41 PM

It’s really a shame this man is TOO STUPID to understand basic football strategy (like give up points to save time). . He has nobody to blame but himself.

23. kylexitron says: Dec 15, 2012 4:46 PM

If your weekly paycheck contains five or six zeros on it, you do what your bosses tell you to do. It’s kinda simple.