The first official McDaniels-to-Chicago rumor emerges

McDaniels Getty Images

As we reported last week, Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels’ name once again is surfacing as a potential head-coaching candidate.

This week, it’s emerging in perhaps the last place it ever should:  Chicago.

Yes, Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reports that McDaniels could land with the Bears, given that G.M. Phil Emery comes from the Belichick-Pioli tree, like McDaniels.

But here’s the fairly obvious problem with the fairly obvious dot-connecting.  Currently under contract to the Bears are the two highest-profile players McDaniels ran out of Denver:  Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall.

McDaniels made getting rid of Cutler the first-year coach’s first order of business upon being hired by the Broncos.  And McDaniels feuded with Marshall until he was traded after the 2009 season.

In August of this year, Marshall took another shot at McDaniels, claiming that their notorious press-room podium hug after a win against the Patriots was “for show,” and again chiding McDaniels for getting rid of Cutler.

I don’t know what he was thinking,” Marshall said at the time regarding the decision to trade Cutler.  “I know a lot of people on the outside consider that a very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very bad move. . . .  Did I say ‘very’?”

Thus, hiring McDaniels to coach Cutler and Marshall would also be a very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very bad move.

Did I say ‘very’?

And Phil Emery is surely very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very aware of that.

Did I say ‘very’?

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
18 Responses to “The first official McDaniels-to-Chicago rumor emerges”
  1. pudgalvin says: Dec 16, 2012 1:03 PM

Please no. There’s one good thing right now about watching the Bears, and it’s Brandon Marshall. Please don’t screw that up..

2. jrfrom508 says: Dec 16, 2012 1:12 PM

Don’t leave NE!!! I’m too accustomed to the McOffense!!!

3. wrathofgodzilla says: Dec 16, 2012 1:13 PM

If he somehow does end up in Chicago it will prove my suspicions that Belichick is sending out his minions to destroy every other team that is on the verge of being a contender. Too bad Tebow to Denver backfired into us getting Manning!!!

4. mantastic54 says: Dec 16, 2012 1:27 PM

If the plan is to make the team bad enough to get a high enough draft pick to get a guy like Von miller, then bring in mcdaniels

5. romoscollarbone says: Dec 16, 2012 2:02 PM

Who ever penned this “rumor” obviously forgot about the McDoofus, Cutler, Marshall, love triangle.

Might as well say, Greg Williams to be simultaneous D coordinator for every team in the NFL via Skype on the jumbotron.

6. patfanken says: Dec 16, 2012 2:21 PM

McDaniels is going nowhere from NE, no matter where the rumors come from. BB would never have rehired him if he thought it was for only one year.

7. 49erstim says: Dec 16, 2012 2:22 PM

Somebody is playing a cruel prank on Bears fans right now. Lol

8. larryboodry says: Dec 16, 2012 2:35 PM

Somebody needs to put down the crack pipe.

9. larryboodry says: Dec 16, 2012 2:36 PM

Oh, hell no!

10. talonh says: Dec 16, 2012 2:38 PM

Tebow to the Bears! I love it.

11. arrowmint says: Dec 16, 2012 2:45 PM

McDaniels proved his incompetence and unsuitability for a head coach repeatedly. Anyone who even gives him an interview should be relieved for dereliction of duty.

12. LilTmac2003 says: Dec 16, 2012 5:42 PM

I know McDaniels isn’t best friends with Cutler/Marshall, but he’s a HUGE step upwards than Mike Tice.

No disrespect to Tice, but Bears O is seriously slacking.

Cutler. Forte. Marshall. Hester. Bennet. Jeffery. Knox.

1 TD a game doesn’t cut it. Draft O-Line and hire a new offensive coordinator.

13. tedmurph says: Dec 16, 2012 5:51 PM

Don’t know, but I’ll bet Belichick has told McDaniel about how much longer he’s gonna coach. My bet is that he stays. Stable ownership and BB kicked upstairs, this franchise is on solid footing, with a proven system. Josh may not be able to coach Brady for too much longer, but this franchise will be a solid perennial contender.

14. voiceofsweetness says: Dec 17, 2012 2:16 AM

Bears need lineman not coaches!

15. theriot2 says: Dec 17, 2012 1:51 PM

It should be said that Emery is on the clock too get a replacement for Tice as OC. With the clock slowly grinding onward he needs to replace Webb at LT. He needs to sort out the sorry lot of rag tag O Linemen and too put them in a position they can handle.Good luck with that.

This team has been at least 4 years from removing Lovie.Finding the right head coach will be a very daunting task. Get a defensive minded coach and he may very well want to go with a 3-4 D and that would be like starting over while trying to put square pieces in a round hole. My guess would be Rob Ryan would be the ideal D Coach hire,but then again he runs a 3-4 D

I’d just say no to Norv Turner as a HC, whenever he gets thrown to the curb. However one intriquing candidate would be Oregon’s Chip Kelly,but a long shot at best. Emery is gonna be under pressure to get it right.

16. bullysix says: Dec 17, 2012 3:27 PM

If the Bears are to change head coaches it should be for Grudenor Cowher .

17. bedabear says: Dec 17, 2012 10:56 PM

If his first move is getting rid of Jay then I say sign him today!

This isn’t going to happen. All this is is an National Enquirer story by La Canfora.

18. bikelikemike says: Dec 22, 2012 2:51 PM

You can’t blame McDaniels for not being very enamored with Cutler AND Marshall being me-me-me guys after coming from NE- where there is NONE of that; not even from the best QB in the league. And I like both Cutler and Marshall! I think Chicago needs to get protection for Cutler, period. And as theriot2 said; Chip Kelly is the #1 prospect for the coaching job. Josh is even the #3 choice for the Browns- where he’d most likely rather be anyway- because he’s from Ohio.