Tom Coughlin says the Giants are playing for Newtown today

coughlinhat

Giants coach Tom Coughlin said on Sunday morning that his players were deeply affected as they discussed the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut.

“Our hearts go out to the families,” Coughlin told ESPN’s Rachel Nichols this morning. “To have this happen, it’s almost beyond explanation.”

Coughlin said he and his players and assistants had their own moment of silence at their team meeting on Saturday.

“My only thought there was as a New York Giant family, we should all rise and have a moment of silence recognizing the families of these children, the families of the principal, the people at the school that were killed, just to recognize the fact that our hearts are so saddened by this event. The senseless killing — it’s very difficult to get past the senseless killing of children,” Coughlin said.

Coughlin will wear the initials S.H.E.S. for Sandy Hook Elementary School on his hat during today’s game.

Photo via Giants spokesman Pat Hanlon.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
22 Responses to “Tom Coughlin says the Giants are playing for Newtown today”
  1. dkrauss93 says: Dec 16, 2012 10:24 AM

One of the most classiest coaches. He just got more respect from me.

2. zaggs says: Dec 16, 2012 10:30 AM

Wouldn’t expect anything but class from both Coughlin and the organization. Tom is 11 times a grandfather and the Mara family consists of many children.
    Also contrary to the previous report, the Giants are not wearing decals on their helmets for Sandy Hook. The initials are hand written on the back of their helmets by the staff.

3. catfish252 says: Dec 16, 2012 10:35 AM

Thank you Coach – I’m sure those are the sentiments of all Giant Fans today. Rise up Giants.

4. blackbug99 says: Dec 16, 2012 10:38 AM

Every team will play for the kids and teachers today!!

5. prrbrr says: Dec 16, 2012 10:43 AM

Classy move by the Giants.

6. gamecheck1 says: Dec 16, 2012 10:44 AM

Thumbs down to a coach and team that are playing for kids and families with heavy hearts?! Com’on folks, put teams and football aside for one minute… Life is far more important that the color of football jerseys.

7. rcampore says: Dec 16, 2012 10:49 AM

As much as Coughlin is a tough hard nosed coach, he is an even more caring philanthropic person so this does not surprise me. I’m sure he is doing even more that we don’t yet know about. There are plenty of other coaches and players that I’m sure will be doing the same kinds of things, but as a Giants fan, I of course have a little more love for Coach Coughlin

RIP to those innocent angels and prayers to their families.

8. jpk6044 says: Dec 16, 2012 10:51 AM

I’m an Eagles fan. I’m rooting for the Giants today.

9. bigdicebuddha says: Dec 16, 2012 10:57 AM

One of the victims, 6 year old Jack Pinto, was an avid Giants and Victor Cruz fan.

Victor Cruz has been in touch with the Pinto family and is dedicating his game today to Jack. He has writting RIP Jack Pinto, and Jack Pinto “My Hero” on his cleats.

This is so painful.

10. bigdicebuddha says: Dec 16, 2012 10:58 AM

Also, Jack will supposedly be buried in his Victor Cruz jersey.

11. sschmiggles says: Dec 16, 2012 11:05 AM

Did I miss something, or does he nevr say the giants are playing for Newtown today?

Also, the Giants and Pats have direct connections to this town. I don’t think it’s the same for other teams, except maybe the Jets. Thats not to say they do.’t care, but it’s not the same. Kraft owns a factory right down the street from the school. About half the people living in CT are giants fans. So many weird connections between these two teams.

12. Patriot42 says: Dec 16, 2012 11:07 AM

Every week we have another tragedy.

13. cruuuzcontrol says: Dec 16, 2012 11:10 AM

Anyone who thinks this is a shallow move by a football coach to motivate his team to win a game doesn’t know Tom Coughlin all that well.

14. dwinsgames says: Dec 16, 2012 11:27 AM

Definitely class moves by Cruz, the Giants and the whole NFL. But what bothers me is just how good we have gotten at mourning. It seems like this has become the accepted behavior, while showing a backbone to the powerful minority who think it is just fine for anyone to have automatic weapons around, not so much.

15. jwreck says: Dec 16, 2012 11:28 AM

gamecheck1 says: Dec 16, 2012 10:44 AM

________
    Agreed. However, I think the thumbs down are more indicative of irritation at the perception that, because of the location of the tragedy, the Giants somehow have more claim to care about the affected families than “your” team does, and the Giants are somehow superior to other teams because they care more about what happened in Connecticut on Friday.

Like I said, I agree with you, and I think that it’s unquestionably a classy move by the G-Men. Just rationalizing the actions of the fans giving the Giants thumbs-down as not being about the tribute to the victims and their families so much as PFT’s heavy coverage of how classy and caring the Giants, and only the Giants, organization is.

16. daleedwards44 says: Dec 16, 2012 12:07 PM

Class act Tom and Giants family. I am another Eagles fan rooting you on. Go Giants! God bless Newtown, Conn.

17. johnv5 says: Dec 16, 2012 12:43 PM

Our hearts are just as heavy in ATL and I am sure that all of the Falcons and the organization have just as much sorrow and empathy for the Sandy Hook tragedy.

18. giants56 says: Dec 16, 2012 1:03 PM

May their families somehow find peace.

19. patsfan22 says: Dec 16, 2012 2:17 PM

Bad time to lay an egg then? That being said, I hope for the sake of newtown the Giants pick it up and win.

20. giantsfanlewis says: Dec 16, 2012 3:32 PM

I’m a giants fan and maybe I feel they should have waited til after the game to deticate the profirmance to those lost. I’m not trying to be rude or controversial but the proformance the giants put out today is an insult to be deticated to those lost

21. tebowislife says: Dec 16, 2012 4:10 PM

Can’t believe people still fall for this “Coughlin is classy b.s.” He is a jerkoff and always has been. He should never have said something like this about a football game, and now after their epically bad performance he looks even dumber for saying it. God bless Newtown, and please don’t bring football into it.

22. namriverrat69 says: Dec 16, 2012 8:36 PM

Coughlin may have dedicated the game to Newtown but he forgot to tell his players. I’ve never seen a team make a dedication like this and not show up for the game.

Nice sentiments and I’m sure they are appreciated. We all feel love and compassion for Newtown, it’s inhabitants, parents, sisters & brothers and friends and the dead. Words are empty at times like these. Know the country loves and supports Newtown in their grief and mourning.

God Bless America.