Ed Reed embarrassed, blames flu for getting hurdled

Denver Broncos v Baltimore Ravens Getty Images

Slamming his helmet to the ground and kicking it was only the beginning of the frustration for Ravens safety Ed Reed.

After playing poorly and watching his team get handled by the Broncos yesterday, Reed admitted shame for all involved.

I felt like it was Christmas and not for our side,” Reed said, via Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun. “We were in a giving mood. . . . We didn’t play football. I was embarrassed. I am embarrassed as a player to come out and perform the way we have. As a Ravens nation, as a player, I am embarrassed for our city.”

Reed himself has plenty to be ashamed of. An apparent miscommunication with cornerback Cary Williams led to an easy touchdown by Broncos wide receiver Eric Decker, and at another point, Reed was hurdled by running back Knowshon Moreno.

“I was not expecting him to jump, honestly,” Reed said. “I couldn’t react because I was dealing with a lot of sickness early in the game. I just wasn’t all the way into it, honestly. I was dealing with flu symptoms and everything. I just kind of watched him jump over me.

“I wasn’t expecting that at all. I thought he was was ready to put his head down. I saw him gathering himself, so I was like, ‘There’s no way he’s going to jump.’”

Likewise, there was little expectation that the Ravens would clinch their playoff berth while losing three straight games, and looking bad in the process.

“It hits you in your heart when you lose three straight and you had an opportunity to close our your division the last three weeks,” Reed said. “It’s terrible. It’s what all you guys have been saying about us right now. Regardless of us not listening to it or not worrying about it, it’s just been the truth. We’ve just acted on it to come out and lose today.”

Reed can blame the flu if he wants, but the reality is the Ravens defense doesn’t intimidate anyone any longer, not as short-handed as they are. And with an offense that’s no help whatsoever, they’re on the verge of becoming a non-factor.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
30 Responses to “Ed Reed embarrassed, blames flu for getting hurdled”
  1. tatvin says: Dec 17, 2012 8:55 AM

Im embarrassed for Ed Reed making excuses……..Moreno and Broncos owned him take it like a man…

2. ravens205255 says: Dec 17, 2012 8:56 AM

Beep. Beep. Beep. That sound you hear is the ravens backing into the playoffs

3. raybguilty says: Dec 17, 2012 9:01 AM

Ed Reed is very clever – he knows people won’t believe that the dog ate his game film so he sticks with the stomach flu story…

4. steelersownyou says: Dec 17, 2012 9:03 AM

Steelers will beat the Bengals and browns to enter the playoffsstrong! The ratbirds are an excuse making , sorry team that should never make the playoffs. They will be 1 and done. Steelers meanwhile will shock the world.. so it is written so it shall come to pass!! Steelers are playing this beautifully. Play possum and then strike in the playoffs! Simply masterful!!!!

5. crownofthehelmet says: Dec 17, 2012 9:11 AM

“I just kind of watched him jump over me.”

Suprised you were able to do that with your eyes closed. We all saw the play genius.

6. eaglesw00t says: Dec 17, 2012 9:12 AM

Wow…another excuse.

You may be one of the best safeties ever, but the other best safeties ever never ever made excuses. They owned up to their mistakes and took it on the chin.

Lott, Atwater, Polamalu, Dawkins, Sharper…all men among men that would sack up and admit what they did wrong.

I understand you may have been ill. Im sorry to hear that, and I appreciate that you were even playing with the flu. But dont make excuses. How many times this season have we heard from players that they didnt lose, they beat themselves? Ive heard more excuses this season than any in the last 30 than I recall as an adult.

7. jrebar88 says: Dec 17, 2012 9:14 AM

Williams is a bum. So is Boldin. Cheap shots on my boys Decker and Harris. Both go owned yesterday and couldnt take it like a MAN

8. eaglesw00t says: Dec 17, 2012 9:15 AM

And to further my point, how many times this season has Reed been hurdled?

Brent Celek hurdled him, and he weighs 265lbs. Reed keeps going in for these helmet down spear hits, and he keeps getting hurdled.

That makes at least 4 that I can count. Ravens fans, do you count? Or just let Reed slide for being good in the past like Eagles fans did with Dawkins?

9. ravenator says: Dec 17, 2012 9:17 AM

Steelersownyou, you are the definition of a troll. Ed, quit making excuses, your play yesterday was embarassing. It’s been weeks since your name has been called other than a for a poor tackling effort.

10. tdrizzle74 says: Dec 17, 2012 9:18 AM

Not sure this Raven’s team is as good as they think they are. First off, your quarterback is a whiner who clearly shouldn’t be complaining about being considered “elite” after that miserable performance.

It sounds like the rest of the team considers themselves in the same class. Harbaugh needed to have a closed door meeting with his team during the bye week to “work some things out”. Then in the midst of a two game losing streak to Division and Regional rivals, you offer up Cam Cameron on the alter.

Their must be some locker room dissention going on, and it sounds like the media will do its best to stoke that controversey…hopefully

11. kingmj4891 says: Dec 17, 2012 9:20 AM

Flu = Old Age

Moreno schooled the future HOF to the point he was so embarred he has to lie.

Reed has been a great player and is a first ballot HOFer but damn Ed you got outplayed take it like a man.

12. radtrigger says: Dec 17, 2012 9:27 AM

Reed is slowly becoming a whiny bitter old man. All those years of carrying your team without any help from the offense will do that to you.

13. steelersmichele says: Dec 17, 2012 9:40 AM

this isn’t the first time someone has jumped over Ed Reed this season. I doubt he had the flu those times.

I think both the ravens and my steelers are going to be in for a surprise when the Bengels take the division.

14. ravensgrl says: Dec 17, 2012 9:53 AM

I really hope Ed retires next year. He can’t tackle anymore, and the excuses are getting old. If you had the flu, you should’ve sat out.. you certainly didn’t help an overall miserable team performance.

15. seabronco says: Dec 17, 2012 9:54 AM

I would try and make up an excuse if I got embarrassed that bad on TV too

16. ch1ggs says: Dec 17, 2012 10:01 AM

Come on, Reed. You’re better than that.

17. mrp2003 says: Dec 17, 2012 10:04 AM

Tough loss but Dener is no slouch. Ratbirds would have had to play their best of the season for the win.

The Bungles are the only team in the divison that is winning lately.

Pretty scary

18. stealthjunk says: Dec 17, 2012 10:34 AM

Come on Ed, we all know the real reason is that you didn’t eat your Wheaties yesterday morning.

I don’t see the point in making excuses — I give more credit to Moreno for leaping over a guy than to Reed for missing him. That happens once in every 2,000 carries.

19. raybguilty says: Dec 17, 2012 10:55 AM

Don’t worry Ed you can always get a job as a hurdle on a track/field squad. Requires little or no motion, just a little incidental contact.

20. ratbirdsrule says: Dec 17, 2012 11:25 AM

he creeps up for the big interception and leaves corners out to dry, …sorry, but it might be time to go

21. wirelessguy22 says: Dec 17, 2012 12:40 PM

You have to be at the top of the moutain to have arows slung at you. You don’t see TP doing complaining. Raven Nation?….are you kidding me, they would be lucky to host a small town in the mid west.

- You need to win a trophy for the arrows to penetrate the shield. Ravens and Bengals 10+ yrs and counting there. Even the AFC crown counts, still no SB trips.

- Where is Ozzy in this debacle?……you mean they can’t sit Cam down and say why are we not running this?…Caldwell is total unknown, Sunday was not encouraging. The great Ozz may have to blow up the whole thing.

22. junglerat524 says: Dec 17, 2012 1:23 PM

Sounds like Ed Reed is about to tell us stories about how he walked to school uphill for 2 miles both ways without shoes.

23. surfinbird1 says: Dec 17, 2012 1:48 PM

Yuuup, he flu right over you Ed,no problem.

24. watermelon1 says: Dec 17, 2012 1:57 PM

Same ravens, different year. defebse plays great for a while, but eventually gives up because they are sick if being sabotaged by their own offense.

Even special teams played great. But the offense, and really.. The quarterback… Have to change. Harbaugh can go too for all I care. He hasn’t done anything Billick didn’t do. And he inherited a while lot of talent from Billick.

25. Justified By God says: Dec 17, 2012 2:00 PM

What kind of idiot NFL player would not be getting yearly flu shots?

26. geezohman says: Dec 17, 2012 5:40 PM

yeah.. i remember a buffalo bills player.. the only one who did NOT get a flu shot. Got sick for steeler game… Bills got their butt kicked…

and the Flu is getting nasty !… yeah.. yeah.. coach.. i have the flu coming on….

the last 3 games uh?

27. darkglobe1 says: Dec 17, 2012 8:21 PM

Old, slow, done

28. uncletuna says: Dec 17, 2012 8:58 PM

Lost all respect for Reed with that excuse…

…if he’s gonna be a HOF player, he should show some class and just say he misread the play and was beat…

No Class

29. glebbak says: Dec 17, 2012 9:27 PM

Ed Reed embarrassed, blames old age/lack of motivation for getting hurdled

Fixed.

30. uncletuna says: Dec 17, 2012 10:29 PM

What would R. Jaworski say?