London Fletcher blames Browns security for incident with family

London Fletcher AP

Redskins linebacker London Fletcher is a Cleveland native, so when he played against the Browns on Sunday, he had a whole lot of friends and family in the stands. Unfortunately, things got ugly when multiple members of Fletcher’s family were involved in an altercation with Browns fans.

Now Fletcher is lobbing an accusation at the Browns that makes this situation even uglier: Fletcher says it was the Browns’ security staff, people who are paid to keep things safe in the stadium, who caused the incident on Sunday.

What led to the whole ruckus was something that happened with stadium security,” Fletcher told reporters today. “As opposed to defusing the situation, they were more instigators. They didn’t defuse the situation. It wasn’t even with the fans at that point in time. I think one of the stadium workers, he went overboard with what his job responsibilities were.”

Fletcher’s accusations are serious, and both the Browns and the NFL should investigate. It’s bad enough that the stands at NFL games are filled with drunks getting into fistfights. If the very security personnel whose job it is to defuse such situations are the ones starting the incidents, that’s a major problem. Every fan who enters every NFL stadium deserves better.

Permalink 48 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
48 Responses to “London Fletcher blames Browns security for incident with family”
  1. overweightman says: Dec 17, 2012 6:30 PM

Violence in the factory of sadness…

2. dredddog says: Dec 17, 2012 6:30 PM

I was at the game Sunday and drank 3 beers while in my seat. At $8.50 a beer I wanted to fight everyone.

3. sewalters79 says: Dec 17, 2012 6:31 PM

London, stop being a cry baby! It’s a Browns game and anything can happen.

4. NoobTubeTV says: Dec 17, 2012 6:32 PM

Blame Shurmur… He makes Browns fans violently angry.

5. themagicman1223 says: Dec 17, 2012 6:32 PM

Are you sure your friends and family didn’t start the trouble? Are you really sure?

6. dontasemebro says: Dec 17, 2012 6:34 PM

2 sides to every story!

7. benh999 says: Dec 17, 2012 6:34 PM

“It’s bad enough that the stands at NFL games are filled with drunks getting into fistfights.”

If only…

8. amflanagan1 says: Dec 17, 2012 6:36 PM

If I were working Brown security I’d be pissed too that we didn’t get RG3. And I’d be more pissed that the QB the skins took in the 4th round is a lot better then the 28 year old the Browns took in the first. Browns are a joke.

9. myspaceyourface says: Dec 17, 2012 6:36 PM

This is exactly why I like to stay home.

I have all the comforts of a couch, big screen, HD, all the snacks I can eat.

Oh and no IDIOTS.

10. wattsrmyline says: Dec 17, 2012 6:36 PM

Maybe we should wait and read the police report before we rush to judgement!

11. spearsnva says: Dec 17, 2012 6:37 PM

That might be because your an idiot!

And the beer cost more than your ticket was worth. All to see that garbage team get run over by the SKINS! Nice

12. seanb20124 says: Dec 17, 2012 6:42 PM

Don’t wear opposing teams colors, and you will be done. Should not be like that, but it is

13. clownsfan says: Dec 17, 2012 6:44 PM

An overzealous security guard? That’s a new one!

14. dkrauss93 says: Dec 17, 2012 6:45 PM

——————————
    It’s $9.50 for a bud light and $10.00 for Heineken at the Barclays Center

15. b1unt3d says: Dec 17, 2012 6:45 PM

Attention spearsnva,

Your vs You’re

You might want to figure out the difference if you’re going to call someone else an idiot.

Ah, the internet.

16. skoobyfl says: Dec 17, 2012 6:51 PM

The friends & family sections always in the stands.

17. xxwhodatxx says: Dec 17, 2012 6:53 PM

People are saying it was Fletcher’s family who were starting it,so lets wait till the facts come out.

18. angrycorgi says: Dec 17, 2012 6:56 PM

Drunks in the stands getting into fist fights?? You are saying that at the home stadium of a team that has a losing record every year there are discouraged fans that have taken in too much alcohol?!?! SHOCKING!!

19. lehooper says: Dec 17, 2012 6:58 PM

Fletcher only telling the story his family told him to save face. His family was the drunks that didn’t know how to act at a game. London needs to apologize to city of Cleveland and its fans

20. jbaxt says: Dec 17, 2012 6:59 PM

Browns fans are just mad that KC hasn’t taken their coach yet. And us Chiefs fans are mad that the Browns aren’t training their coaches well enough. Seriously, if you’re going to hire these guys, teach them something before my team gets them.

21. baddegg says: Dec 17, 2012 6:59 PM

sewalters79 says:Dec 17, 2012 6:31 PM

London, stop being a cry baby! It’s a Browns game and anything can happen.

—————–

Yeah, I’ll bet you’d call Fletcher a baby to his face too, big guy.

He was defending his family, that included children. He’s a man and he’s going to defend his family, not give a bunch of hooligans a free pass…

22. charge1 says: Dec 17, 2012 7:05 PM

The nfl has a serious problem protecting other teams fans period. Go to a Ravens game sometime and you will see some kind of creature on their big screen in the fourth quarter. He says we must protect this house and beats his fists on the ground . Automatically the intoxicated fans turn around wanting to fight anyone in opposing teams colors. It happened to me and my 12 year old daughter. We had coats on and didn’t show our colors. We didn’t cheer or say anything to anyone and still felt threatened. Pitiful

23. lsuzilla says: Dec 17, 2012 7:12 PM

Cleveland message boards say the family started the incident.

24. drgreenstreak says: Dec 17, 2012 7:19 PM

“Fletcher’s accusations are serious…”

“accusations” …

I definitely agree with the drunkeness part. Sick of drunks.

Do not like private security companies, either. They are a joke.

25. larrybrown43 says: Dec 17, 2012 7:22 PM

London appears to be a very classy guy. I’m sure that stems from his family upbringing. However:

1.He wasn’t there.
    2. I’m surprised he wasn’t flagged after his pick for excessive celebration.
    3. Security guards get $9.00 an hour to put up with drunk, adrenaline rushed knuckleheads. Even cops can be out-manned.
    4. This is just another reason to never go to an NFL game or any sporting event.
    5. This is the same thing that happened to Clinton Portis’ family in Philly in 07.

26. thesageofthestreet says: Dec 17, 2012 7:29 PM

Of course like most athletes is nothing is his fault.

Fletcher is a trash talking mediocre player who like to draw attention to himself. He incited the fans yesterday & is family got beat up cause of it & cause they were acting like jerks…just like him.

27. larrybrown43 says: Dec 17, 2012 7:34 PM

6. I’m sure those guards don’t have Dr. Andrews examine them if they get hurt either. They get no healthcare from the team. Therefore, if they get hurt breaking up a fight , all they get is a “Good luck with that” from the team.

28. teal379 says: Dec 17, 2012 7:34 PM

Not saying who did what to whom but if the NFL can’t figure out why people prefer to stay home and watch it on HD after this…

29. xerocc says: Dec 17, 2012 7:40 PM

I’m sure

30. pftstory says: Dec 17, 2012 7:58 PM

Gee, I expect Fletcher was not a witness to the event. So who told him what happened? HIS family eh? Well, I’m sure they wernt biased.

31. imneverwrong says: Dec 17, 2012 8:00 PM

Be interesting when whole story comes out so we can see what happened.

If fletcher is mediocre what is ray lewis ? Did anyone see stats comparison for the 2 during the game ?

32. elrock7 says: Dec 17, 2012 8:10 PM

The NFL is going to have a problem drawing fans in most stadiums that they never imagined.

People who nhave been hitting the tailgating a little too hard should not be allowed in the stadium period! Let real fans and their families enjoy a game without having to worry about drunken cretins ruining their day.

Their should be more responsiblity put on the beer vendors to make sure they dont over serve or serve intoxicated people any booze

33. dawglb says: Dec 17, 2012 8:17 PM

This is a case of a famous person using the media to beat the Browns to the punch. London was not there. He is telling his relatives side of the story. I cannot wait until these facts come out. The family was out of line.

34. watchfullhose says: Dec 17, 2012 8:19 PM

Fact: MULTIPLE accounts of the Fletcher family “entourage” being aggressive and provoking have been reported.

35. bathroomben7 says: Dec 17, 2012 8:33 PM

I’ll bet you a million dollars his family started it, just like Lebron’s mom always is starting shenanigans. Bet you the exact same thing happened.

36. theblowtorchreview says: Dec 17, 2012 9:01 PM

How does Fletcher know what happened….wasn’t he on the field?

And yes, I have no idea why people even go to games. Spend a lot of money to have a drunk fall all over you and cuss like a sailor in front of your kids. No Thanks!

37. boyshole25 says: Dec 17, 2012 9:07 PM

Don’t wear someone else’s colors and never go to Philly buffalo Cleveland if you aren’t a fan of those teams it’s that simple

38. spamrok says: Dec 17, 2012 10:19 PM

Fact: no one who posted here has any idea what happened so shut up already.
    When I was young I lived to see games live. Now I feel like a bad parent when I take my kids to a game because 50% of the crowd acts like its a dive bar.

39. archetypeobscure says: Dec 17, 2012 10:27 PM

I’ve heard that he had like 40 people at the game (He’s from the area), they were all wearing jerseys signed by him and were they were drinking and antoginizing Cleveland fans that were already pissed off to begin with. I’m fine with him backing his family, right or wrong. It really doesn’t mean that they weren’t acting like fools though.

That’s the most packed the stadium had been in a long time, there was a lot of excitement about the way the team had been playing, and they folded in the second half. If you don’t wanna get in a fight, dont wear your gear to somebody else’s house and act like a fool.

40. hrdcorbengalsfan says: Dec 17, 2012 10:49 PM

It is Cleveland for crying out loud!

41. rcali says: Dec 18, 2012 12:16 AM

That’s why it’s called home field advantage. This ain’t the ballet.

42. bubbahotepp says: Dec 18, 2012 1:31 AM

I prefer watching the game on television at home and getting into fistfights.

43. bossmanjunioriii says: Dec 18, 2012 1:53 AM

Browns are awful… I’d be mad too if I had to A) be a Browns fan and B) live in Cleveland.

44. hornbuckle says: Dec 18, 2012 6:07 AM

Anyone who has ever been to Cleveland Knows this is no BS. I’ve seen it happen myself.

45. manilarizzo says: Dec 18, 2012 6:23 AM

Is Cleveland Browns security to blame for the Weeden pick? If so then we do in fact have a serious problem that warrants investigation.

46. rtant2013 says: Dec 18, 2012 6:38 AM

The part of the story that’s missing here is that hid 13 yr old cousin was punched in the face before they even got into the stadium, uh yeah so what’s your excuses now Browns fans, what did a 13 yr old do to get punched in the face? Yeah that’s what i thought

47. brasho says: Dec 18, 2012 3:36 PM

Yes, Fletcher know the real story. He was on the field staring into the stands watching and listening to every word as his family interacted with security.

Sorry London, I’m going to have to side with stadium security on this one. Most, if not all, NFL stadiums have video cameras pointed all around the crowd to make sure nobody’s rights are infringed, plus there are numerous personnel assigned to each section as well. I’m pretty sure the stadium security guards have more to lose by making up random stories about your family than your family does by not blaming somebody else for their actions.

48. jwreck says: Dec 19, 2012 2:27 PM

boyshole25 says: Dec 17, 2012 9:07 PM

________
    How about “never go to Philly, Buffalo, or Cleveland”? Shouldn’t it be that simple?