Playing for Todd Haley in K.C. helped Brandon Carr get crucial pick

Pittsburgh Steelers v Dallas Cowboys Getty Images

When Cowboys cornerback Brandon Carr stepped in front of a Ben Roethlisberger pass early in overtime on Sunday night, it set the Cowboys up for a win that vaulted them into a three-way scrum for the NFC East title.

It also might have been a message to Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley that it is time to change up some of the plays in the playbook he’s compiled over the years. Carr said after the game that he came up with the interception because of his familiarity with Haley’s tendencies while playing with the Chiefs while Haley was their head coach.

“I just stayed in my zone and I trusted myself this time. He made a throw behind, so I went and got the ball. I’ve been dealing with coach Haley for three years, so I finally got a chance to play against him. It worked out that some of his tendencies held true,” Carr said, via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “It helped a lot just to know how a person thinks on the field. I had a chance to figure out how he thinks and how he’s going to attack me — know how he coached me up in Kansas City. Basically, it helped me play to my weaknesses and make them my strengths.”

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was critical of Haley’s play calling after the game, although he didn’t mention that particular call. It wasn’t the best throw in the world, but it probably would have been caught if Carr had stuck with the Cowboys’ intent to take away the deep ball. Carr made an educated guess on what Haley would call, though, and the Cowboys reaped the benefits.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
21 Responses to “Playing for Todd Haley in K.C. helped Brandon Carr get crucial pick”
  1. logicalvoicesays says: Dec 17, 2012 2:34 PM

I can’t wait to see Pierre Garçon and Santana put the Cowboys secondary in their place in 2 weeks en route to an easy Redskin victory.

2. logicalvoicesays says: Dec 17, 2012 2:37 PM

Can’t wait to see Garçon and Santana put the Cowboys secondary in their place in 2 weeks en route to an easy Redskins victory.

3. uhnoreally says: Dec 17, 2012 2:43 PM

All coaches have tendencies. This one bit him at a really, really bad time.

4. caseyinkc says: Dec 17, 2012 2:53 PM

It also helps that Brandon Carr was used to quarterbacks making terrible throws (i.e. Matt Cassel, Brodie Croyle)

5. pistolvania says: Dec 17, 2012 3:00 PM

im a cowboys fan and yes very much true about everyone having tendencies…..look at Jason Garret and the damn 3rd down draw! did anyone else see that coming?

6. kccosteelrzfootball says: Dec 17, 2012 3:01 PM

Bring Wisenhunt back as OC in the Burgh!

7. geezohman says: Dec 17, 2012 3:07 PM

I thought Ben was suppose to go through his ‘reads’ and pick the best. Watching the replay cam behind Ben, a blind man could see the coverage and Ben should have gone to the 2 or 3 receiver then. On Ben, not the play call.

Let me ask you this… Is every OC on every team going to make 100 good play calls?

Come on man

8. dtlb58 says: Dec 17, 2012 3:09 PM

Haley’s tendencies didn’t have anything to do with the pick. Ben throwing the ball way behind the receiver at a crucial time in the game did.

9. cd_ridge says: Dec 17, 2012 3:22 PM

Still, the pass was behind Wallace making the play a littler easier for Carr. I recall the Chiefs said something about tendencies and knowing the play based on the formations the Steelers showed. Haley needs mix up his playbook and his play calling.

10. jr4real says: Dec 17, 2012 4:07 PM

He’s correct. Ben has thrown many late-game sideline interceptions this year attempting a comeback drive.

Haley needs to go but he won’t. Steelers too chicken to make the move after 1 year.

11. citizenstrange says: Dec 17, 2012 4:22 PM

Roethlisberger threw a pick six to Tracy Porter to end the game against the Broncos too. THAT is a tendency you can really trust.

12. geezohman says: Dec 17, 2012 5:04 PM

Lets see…. Ben was scrambling more in that game… duh the offense line is in what generation of alignment with all the injuries… come on man.

Answer these questions:

The Steelers got retired Bruce and we wanted to ‘re-establish’ the run game (after how many times do management say it the past couple years, got your ears on Bruce?). Have we re-established the run game?

Ben (and Bruce) loved to golf and pick out some plays and then played backyard football, Ben loved to scramble and throw… getting knocked down a heck of a lot. Question.. Is Ben ‘standing’ much more this year?

Then Haley has given BEN great numbers, kept him more healthy…

Ben has shown his IMMATURE side. I hope his wife chews his butt out, like what good was that when the Steelers need the last two wins and ‘TEAM WORK”.

Haley has done a MUCH BETTER JOB than Bruce and we all called for his head year and year.

We need Wallace to catch better along with some other players improving….

I don’t mind a transition year getting use to the new OC.

I remember Bubby complaining.. until he through 4 TDs or was it 5 one game and then Hal luya ! Am i right?

13. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Dec 17, 2012 5:05 PM

Carr was a big addition and he is paying off for Dallas. I have noticed that he tends to have his best games against AFC opponents. Playing with KC for years has helped. However next two big games are against NFC teams.

14. ravenator says: Dec 17, 2012 5:17 PM

That pick was awesome. Not only did it lead to a steeler loss, it also gave the Ravens a 5th straight playoff birth. The pick could not have happened to a more deserving team or a more deserving player. 7-7 is so laughable and mediocre, I almost feel bad for this team, but I don’t. Baltimore is in, Pittsburgh is out, congrats on your middle tier draft pick. The ultimate sign of a lousy, under-performing season. Cheers!

15. steelcurtainn says: Dec 17, 2012 5:50 PM

Playing for Haley had nothing to do with getting that pick. Big Ben just barely under through the ball, 9 times out of 10 he makes that pass and its a completion. Doesn’t really matter, two wins and the steelers are in the tournament and then its a brand new season.

16. CowboyErik says: Dec 17, 2012 6:40 PM

I agree, he threw that ball Carson Palmer style!

17. steel420 says: Dec 17, 2012 9:02 PM

Give credit to Carr for being in position and making the catch, but the throw was clearly to the wrong side of the receiver.

18. Deb says: Dec 17, 2012 9:10 PM

@citizenstrange …

Last night’s pic has been bothering me all day, and now I know why–the Tracy Porter pic. My biggest complaint with BA was predictability–that’s the last thing I want from Haley.

But that wasn’t the only problem. We wouldn’t have been in an OT situation if not for Antonio Brown’s butterfingers. When you watch the Pats overcome a 28-point deficit playing in sleet, but their receivers manage to keep their hands on the ball, it makes you wonder why our players can’t hold on in perfectly dry weather. Former Jets receiver Wayne Chrebet used to keep a football in his hands everywhere he went just to increase his surehandedness. That’s why he rarely dropped or fumbled during a game. It’s time our players started doing the same.

19. antibenapalooza says: Dec 17, 2012 9:12 PM

Rather, I see it as a message to change up the starting quarterback – get rid of Rottenberger!

20. sixlombardisinyourface says: Dec 18, 2012 8:12 AM

Roethlisberger appeared in (and won) 2 Superbowls in the same amount of time that Flacco has been playing in the NFL, how many Superbowls has Flacco appeared in ? Cheers !

21. mostlombardisintheleague says: Dec 18, 2012 11:22 AM

Flacco’s 98 yard pic 6 was awesome ! Not only did the Ravens lose in dismal style, but Flacco looks exactly like a QB that’s never been to the Superbowl and never will ! Cheers !