Urlacher: “I don’t care about” fans, media

Brian Urlacher AP

He couldn’t help the Bears win a game, but he could rally to the defense of his coach.

So Brian Urlacher basically insisted everyone who isn’t in the locker room doesn’t know anything about football, during a post-game appearance on WFLD TV with Lou Canellis.

When it was suggested after the 21-13 loss to the Packers that fans and media were critical of Lovie Smith, Urlacher went off on the lot of them.

Two of the people I don’t care about: fans or media,” Urlacher said, via the Chicago Tribune. “They can say what they want to about our head coach, about our players. . . . It does bother me. They don’t know what they’re talking about, obviously.

“I know there are a lot of experts in the media, a bunch of smart guys out there who know exactly what they’re talking about all the time. They don’t know what they’re talking about. Lovie is the head coach of this football team and hopefully will be for a long time.”

Urlacher said the way Smith maintains composure during difficult times (without, you know, attacking his own fans) is one of the reasons he keeps the respect of players.

The long-time Bears linebacker also took a shot at his own fans in the process, the ones who have watched the home team lose five of their last six.

“Our crowd was pretty good today for the most part. They were loud for a minute there, the boos were really loud, which is always nice,” Urlacher said. “The only team in our division that gets booed at home is us. It’s incredible to me.

“Believe it, don’t believe it, we don’t care. We’re going to go out there and play as hard as we can. The guys that are healthy will play and we’ll do the best we can.”

And the fans will continue to behave exactly as fans have, now with the full knowledge that the face of the franchise doesn’t care what they think.

Permalink 77 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
77 Responses to “Urlacher: “I don’t care about” fans, media”
  1. blackandbluedivision says: Dec 17, 2012 12:03 PM

You can join your head coach on the unemployment line.

2. thephazed says: Dec 17, 2012 12:04 PM

Good for them. Chicago fans are relatively close to being the scum of the earth.

Get behind your team you stupid louts.

3. logicalvoicesays says: Dec 17, 2012 12:08 PM

London Fletcher is the best MLB since Singletary.

4. bucrightoff says: Dec 17, 2012 12:13 PM

Nobody cares what the most overrated defensive player in recent history has to say.

5. dtr3e says: Dec 17, 2012 12:14 PM

And we won’t care about u when ur out of the league next year, you has been. And sorry sometimes fans know more, since they dont have personal attachments to underachiving players, or old washed up ones *cough* Urlacher *cough*

6. samanthasteeleruinedmyqb says: Dec 17, 2012 12:18 PM

The Packers probably don’t get booed at home because their fans think they can do no wrong. I know the Vikings have been booed at home and there’s no way the Lions haven’t been booed at home.

7. jprcox says: Dec 17, 2012 12:20 PM

fans often care more than the players. I think some players are there for a check, and then they move on in their careers or move somewhere else when they retire.

Fans stick it out their entire life, generation to generation, loyal to 1 team – so they car a bit more.

Make no mistake, they aren’t booing the Bears, they are booing the performace they see on the field by the players. (im not even a Bears fan…but as a Seattle fan I can tell you we live up and down the entire season with the players – and we pay everyone to do that – we do)

8. bangithard says: Dec 17, 2012 12:20 PM

Maybe the next time Brian goes to the bank, He should ask himself who he cares about….

Ultimately the fans and the NETWORKS pay this guys salary.

Without the fans or the media, you are still in New Mexico painting houses.

This should be a reason for ALL fans not to renew next years’ season tickets.

9. golforepar says: Dec 17, 2012 12:21 PM

Finley for Urlacher!

10. jrfrom508 says: Dec 17, 2012 12:21 PM

Every time he opens his mouth I respect him less. Not that I’m a bears fan but I’m happy he doesn’t play for the team I support. Oh and Brian, your commercials suck bro.

11. steelersownyou says: Dec 17, 2012 12:23 PM

Chicago is experiencing what we are in Pittsburgh. Lackluster performances by our respective teams. And when you keep losing it brings out the worst in fans and the players. Things are said and you can’t take them back. For him to say he doesn’t care about the fans is downright terrible. Fans have every right to boo if your stinking. We pay good money for tickets, and we pay your salary. Next time take a step. back and think about what youre saying before you make a dub comment urlacher. If there were no fans you would be stocking shelves at a supermarket!!!

12. starderup says: Dec 17, 2012 12:24 PM

He once was a decent linebacker. He has shown that he is not very bright, in addition to playing long past his prime.

13. emoney826 says: Dec 17, 2012 12:25 PM

Wow tell it how it is, Urlacher. Though you can’t blame EVERY Chicago fan for being an idiot, a good portion of them are. But at the same time, how can you defend some of the players and coaches on this team? The fans have every right to boo. Don’t worry bear fans. You’ll get 2nd place back from the vikings this year.

14. Jay Cutler is an elite QB says: Dec 17, 2012 12:25 PM

He’s given off this attitude the entire time he’s played in Chicago. Without saying it, I guess. Which has made it hard for me to see him as a legendary figure for the team like Ray Lewis. Win or lose, Urlacher doesn’t really care.

15. mustbechris says: Dec 17, 2012 12:25 PM

I’d say something funny here, but Urlacher won’t care.

16. kenudo says: Dec 17, 2012 12:25 PM

Seems like every other week Urlacher is going on about how he doesn’t care about the fans or what anyone says etc. Is he trying to convince us, or himself?

17. sakatak says: Dec 17, 2012 12:25 PM

The fact is all teams have been booed at home, when the Packers are booed at home it is usually a small percentage of fans and the players almost always say they deserved it. I respect Urlacher as a player,but at times it is better to act like your coach Lovie and be quiet.

18. mdpickles says: Dec 17, 2012 12:25 PM

With the amount of money season ticket holders pay, fans can say whatever they want, Brian.

19. chawk12thman says: Dec 17, 2012 12:27 PM

I think Bear Fans are great supporters of their team. My experience at the games where they have come to play us in Seattle has been that the Bear Fans are knowledgable and vocal. Maybe it is different at home, but my guess is not so much. Boo’ing happens to other teams when the team is underperforming and not meeting expectations. The Bears clearly went from being considered one of the best NFL team this year to one that likely will miss the playoffs. Criteria met. Changes coming. Boo’ing to continue in the short term.

20. supremekingz says: Dec 17, 2012 12:27 PM

He might be right about the 2012 season, because Packers fans definitely don’t boo their own team. The Vikings have been over-producing, so I doubt they’ve been booed much either. But I’m pretty sure Lions fans have booed.

If not they should have. All they’re playing for is stats

21. samanthasteeleruinedmyqb says: Dec 17, 2012 12:29 PM

I forgot about the Mason Crosby fiasco. You can’t tell me he isn’t getting booed.

22. starderup says: Dec 17, 2012 12:29 PM

Also, I was watching football before this guy was born. Obviously, he doesn’t know everything about life, and fellow humans. Anyway, have a nice retirement, Mr. Irrelevant.

23. seahawksteven777 says: Dec 17, 2012 12:31 PM

Well, Mr. Urlacher, you just gave the fans even more reason to boo. You must have really thought this one out…

24. Kelly's Chronicles says: Dec 17, 2012 12:32 PM

Brian Urlacher to me as a Packer fan was one of the few things that I found classy about the Chicago Bears. Beginning to question that now. You just don’t insult your own fans. I dont care who you are.

25. fredsingleton says: Dec 17, 2012 12:34 PM

Of course this writer makes the headline look like Urlacher is a complete ___hole. Not a Bears fan to the slightest bit, but Urlacher is one of the more classier dudes in the NFL

26. eatitfanboy says: Dec 17, 2012 12:37 PM

Every single player in the NFL agrees with everything Urlacher said about fans. If you don’t think so, you’re kidding yourself.

27. vicnocal says: Dec 17, 2012 12:41 PM

Brian Urlacher also used to back Dick Jauron and say he was a great coach that should be around for a long time. Guess where the Bears would be today if Dick Jauron were still coaching them? Absolutely nowhere.

Yeah, these players probably know more about football than the average fan does, but sometimes it’s a case of being too close to the forest to see the trees. They’re not the greatest authority when it comes to deciding whether a coaching change needs to be made.

After this debacle of a season, Lovie Smith will have missed the playoffs in 5 of the last 6 seasons. That’s not good enough. Period.

28. illwillthemick says: Dec 17, 2012 12:42 PM

packers dont get boo’d at home cause they have super bowls. And won one recently. point blank period.

29. louisvillebear says: Dec 17, 2012 12:42 PM

You might not care what fans say, but it’s the fans that spend the money so you can get paid a butt-load of money doing something you love. Without the fans, you are just an athletic fast food employee making minimum wage.

Lovie is a great players coach and I would honestly hate to see him go. However, he has failed to bring in a competent OC and fails to draft talent on the offensive side. That is HIS job and he has FAILED. He has had 9 years to get that right. I would say the fans have been patient enough. How many more years should he get to figure that part out?

From a Bear fan & an ex-Urlacher fan, find somewhere else to play @$$hole.

30. vicnocal says: Dec 17, 2012 12:46 PM

Also, right before halftime, the Bears had 2 timeouts left, about 25 seconds, and were on the 30-yard line. In typical loser Lovie fashion, they just went into the locker room (and the Packers were getting the ball to start the 3rd), whereas 95% of competent coaches would have tried to AT LEAST get about another 20 yards to the 50-yd line and try a Hail Mary.

That’s probably why the fans were booing, and you could see it on Cutler’s face too, his disgust at his loser coach telling him to just go into halftime, when Cutler wanted to try to use the 2 timeouts and 25 seconds to at least try something against the Packers’ prevent defense.

31. icardfan says: Dec 17, 2012 12:47 PM

Tell everyone they have no knowledge then back it up by making statements that prove your own lack of knowledge. I guess when you’re a millionaire you could give a poo what working class fans who get overcharged for tickets have to say. I guess he’s right Bears fans, you guys are stupid to sell out a stadium at home to lose 5 out of 6 and dare to voice your displeasure when they stink. Just shut up and pay Urlacher his millions.

32. contract says: Dec 17, 2012 12:49 PM

Fans may not know a thing about football, but they know a whole lot about what they will spend their money on.

Checkmate!

33. dadawg77 says: Dec 17, 2012 12:54 PM

As a Bears fan and general sports fan, i really don’t care if a player cares about the fans just every care about the performance. As a fan I really only care if the team wins or loses, if a player only cats about that than our interest are aligned.

34. majikbullet says: Dec 17, 2012 12:57 PM

This proves he doesn’t know what he’s talking about!

I’ve never been to the Metrodome without the horrible Vikes fan base booing relentlessly!

35. godofwine330 says: Dec 17, 2012 12:58 PM

A lot of fans are idiots. I can’t blame him for thinking as he does. The Bears pay his salary, not the fans. I cannot recall one player cut because the fans didn’t like him. Even John Rocker got second and third chances regardless about how the fans felt about the team’s move.

I have never seen fans totally backing off of buying tickets forcing a team to cut, or trade a particular player. Hell, many fans believe a player should just shut up and play and not have an opinion about anything, so the lack of respect goes both ways.

36. dino2997 says: Dec 17, 2012 1:06 PM

As a Bears fan I’m not too happy about these comments from Urlacher especially considering this isn’t the first time he’s mentioned it. Go ahead and knock on the media but NEVER bite the true hands that feed you…the fans.

37. tndiver says: Dec 17, 2012 1:08 PM

I can see where he is coming from. There are a number of examples of fans/FO that wanted to can the coach and then have them win a Super Bowl. Cowher and Coughlin are two most recent ones that come to mind. Teams sometimes have bad years for various reasons.

Having said all that, he could have said things more diplomatically, especially as a face of the team. I am sure he is also frustrated with being hurt and his team’s performance, but maybe he needs to take a page from his coaches book! He also needs to remember that without the fans/media, there is no NFL!

38. windycity0301 says: Dec 17, 2012 1:08 PM

As a Bears Fan, his comments are sad and disappointing from someone we have long cheered. But, apparently, those in the media already knew this side of him. One of them said on the radio this morning that Urlacher let his mask slip. This is who he really is. Fool me once shame on you, I for one won’t be fooled twice and I’m sure most of Bears fandom won’t either. I’m hoping all of his endorsements dry up like his speed has.

39. tformation says: Dec 17, 2012 1:09 PM

Yeah, Urlacher’s done in Chicago. Thanks for the memories, Brian.

40. seamhereseamthere says: Dec 17, 2012 1:13 PM

The Packer fans have booed their team on occasion. Not sure about lately but definitely during the Tagge/Hunter/Devine era….

41. dikshuttle says: Dec 17, 2012 1:15 PM

If he didn’t care… why would it bother him?

42. upthegut34 says: Dec 17, 2012 1:20 PM

Seems like he is a competitive and emotional guy. And that probably leads to him reacting defiantly when met with negativity. I’m sure a lot of professional athletes are this way. Some are just able to control/mask it better than others.

43. spfripp says: Dec 17, 2012 1:22 PM

Nothing good ever happens when an athlete alienate his or hers fans.

IMO fans should have the right to express their displeasure when their team is not doing well. The price people pay to attend one of these games is equal to a mini vacation. As a football fan I don’t expect my team to win every game but I do expect them to put forth a good performance every week.

44. pftfannum1 says: Dec 17, 2012 1:24 PM

It is probably concussions talking. He has been much smarter than this.

45. iluvbears says: Dec 17, 2012 1:27 PM

I see Urlacher is keeping it classy.

46. ccjcsr says: Dec 17, 2012 1:38 PM

Must be still reeling from the Jenny McCarthy breakup

47. chris6523 says: Dec 17, 2012 1:43 PM

Urlacher was close to correct. He only missed three other teams in the NFC north that get booed at home from time to time: Vikings, Lions, Packers.

48. dolfan66r says: Dec 17, 2012 1:44 PM

Urlacher is so overrated! What has he ever done?
    He and Cutler are overpaid punks!!

49. shaggytoodle says: Dec 17, 2012 1:49 PM

The Bears are a bunch of fair weather fans, they were please when they had Grossman playing well enough.

They get a franchise QB, and now they are sad.

50. purpleguy says: Dec 17, 2012 1:53 PM

I was at Lambeau in 1998 when Randy Moss blew out the Pack and heard plenty of booing. Of course the booing stopped before the end of the game because the stands were empty. You’ll here Pack fans make plenty of similar comments regarding their visits to the Dome, but they conveniently forget about games like the one in 1998. It happens everywhere.

51. glennsyank13 says: Dec 17, 2012 1:54 PM

Bears really would be better without him. Spot on Jermichael.

52. 2difshoe says: Dec 17, 2012 1:56 PM

I DID respect Airheadlacher until that comment.

I am a die hard BEAR fan, and have lost a great deal of respect for him after this commentary !

As many have posted, the fans are part the reason he is makinging 9 mil this year, guess the concussions have skewed his memory a bit.

Really, I hope he is no longer part of the Bears next year !

I have been a fan longer that he has walked this earth… I could care less if he is part of the Bears next year…good riddance Brain Urlacher !

53. dachozen1 says: Dec 17, 2012 2:06 PM

This is how these athletes truly feel about the people who support them and pay their salaries. It is amazing to me that people put their hearts into these idiots.

54. mikebrownistheworstownerinprosports says: Dec 17, 2012 2:12 PM

godofwine330 says:
    Dec 17, 2012 12:58 PM

—————————————-

Fans aren’t paid million of dollars to cheer and be nice to the players. That’s the obvious difference here. Players are paid millions and are expected to be cordial to fans as part of their JOB. Fans are paying to see a product.

55. wludford says: Dec 17, 2012 2:12 PM

Urlacher has been looking forward to a change of scenery for a while now- at least a year or two.

I highly doubt he plays for the Bears next year.

56. jprcox says: Dec 17, 2012 2:16 PM

vocal fans mean they care. i’ve been to some games around the country it was like a library at the stadium….those teams typically dont do well.

As a Seattle fan I can tell you that fans CAN change the course of a game… i mean who wants to come play against Seattle in Seattle?

Urlacher needs to respect the fans who support him. Fans can get emotional too, and its better to have fans that care.

57. bordner says: Dec 17, 2012 2:19 PM

purpleguy says:
    Dec 17, 2012 1:53 PM

——————————
    I was at that game too and I honestly don’t remember anyone booing the Packers that night (not that they didn’t deserve it – they couldn’t cover Moss and couldn’t put any pressure on Cunningham). What I do remember is that the weather was a torrential downpour on a cold October night. The stadium was half-empty by the 2nd quarter, but not entirely due to the performance of the home team.

58. scrapingthefloorioforstorios says: Dec 17, 2012 2:22 PM

stupid fans can read a scoreboard, which is the only thing that counts.

59. phillytalk215 says: Dec 17, 2012 3:01 PM

He would love Philly right now

60. cosmicduster says: Dec 17, 2012 3:02 PM

So I guess we won’t have Brian Urlacher’s Steakhouse in Chicago?

61. shotgunnoblitz says: Dec 17, 2012 3:53 PM

You may not care about the fans and the media, but guess what urlacher, no matter what you think the fans recognize that you cant play anymore. And thats gonna lead to you getting cut by the bears. You really think saying stuff like this is gonna endear you to the next team you are forced to sign with since you are obviously only in football for the money. I used to respect you but now i have nothing but disdain for you.

62. manningbowl88 says: Dec 17, 2012 4:25 PM

what a dumb comment to make.. if theres 1 player the bears fans have been completely loyal to its brian urlacher..even in his years when he wasnt doing much bears fans loved him…for him to say that about bears fans is a slap in the face to those.

that said i completely understand where hes coming from if i was an NFL player in a world where everyone had an opinion where its not needed id prob say worse

63. aboselli says: Dec 17, 2012 4:49 PM

His statement is basically correct. Most of the media ‘reports’ on items that they heard about through the media (John Clayton, please stand up) and reports on things the players and coaches care little or not at all about. Random quotes elevated to headline status matter mostly to the media in their quest for scoops.

That said, you can’t say it and not expect a (media driven) backlash. Media and fans still think they know everything.

64. hurrayforyogapants says: Dec 17, 2012 4:50 PM

@samsteele

———

As much as I dislike the packers, you have to respect the support they get from their fans, I think the boo birds of metrodome are shameful. If you don’t want to support your team – win or lose – stay home, we don’t need ya.

65. larryboodry says: Dec 17, 2012 5:16 PM

Also, to be honest, a lot of fans are idiots…I remember all the backlash Cutler got after being hurt in the NFC Championship, the stupid ‘I don’t care if his leg was broken, he shoulda been out there!’ comments…Urlacher was the first to defend his teammate, and he was right…Or how about the genius fans at Soldier Field who were drowning out OUR offense in the red zone? A reporter asked Jay about it, Jay gave his ‘Please, please, please don’t do that’ reply, and got crucified by goofballs who evidently never learned that you’re supposed to drown out the OTHER team’s QB in the red zone.

66. blackdonnelly says: Dec 17, 2012 5:19 PM

I can’t blame Bears fans for showing disapproval (civilly) of an inferior product. That’s all.

67. larryboodry says: Dec 17, 2012 5:29 PM

As a lifelong Bears fan, I have learned long ago not to care (in most cases) what the players say, as long as they are giving their best on the field…I think Urlacher does care, in spite of what he said, and part of his defiance stems from his injury and the team’s recent slide.
    That said, it depends on the player…Brian has played his heart out for years, at a high level, and so he has earned some leeway from me. But if J’Marcus Webb or Kellen Davis made similar comments, I would not be so forgiving.

68. elgaffo says: Dec 17, 2012 5:30 PM

All teams get Boo’ed when they give up on the field and the playcalling is garbage…yes, even Green Bay. When fans think you arent trying or playing poorly they let you know. especially if you have lost 5 of your last 6 after starting 7-1.
    At least last year when this happened, it was because Cutler was injured.

69. iowahbr says: Dec 17, 2012 5:45 PM

Urlacher is free to support Lovie until the cows come home and free to give Bears fans the verbal finger. Since he has not discovered the cure for cancer or ended hunger in Africa someone needs to remind him that he has become a multimillionaire by playing a kids game for adult entertainment. Fine and dandy but too many hits to the head over 13 years and you forget that rule about not biting the hand that feeds you. He ought to remember that his paycheck doesn’t come from the mighty McCaskey publishing empire but from Bears fans who pay 7 for a beer, pay to park, and usually pay way more than $70 per ticket to watch lousy football. If Urlacher never played another game in the NFL the Republic would still survive quite nicely and we wouldn’t be 1 foot closer to the famed fiscal cliff.

As for Lovie, I didn’t know medical marijuana was legal already in Illinois.

70. itsthemelman82 says: Dec 17, 2012 5:48 PM

These comments are why players feel the way they do about fans… Y’all are so sensitive! I guess I’m looking at it from a players perspective but, booing is pointless and the media is annoying. You think because you boo they’re gonna feel any worse? If you’re not in the locker room, going through what they go through, why shouldn’t they be indifferent to booing? Beat the Cardinals & keep fighting! BEARDOWN!!!

71. icewalker946 says: Dec 17, 2012 6:00 PM

Why all the hate on Urlacher? He’s a good player that makes the tackles when needed and makes big plays a lot of the time, too. I respect the way he plays nd would love to see him on my team.

He’s lost a step and he’s getting older and he’s betting injured more (probably because the first two items) but he’s still solid.

72. iowahbr says: Dec 17, 2012 6:18 PM

all this hate is because Brian should keep his trap shut. the fans are really unhappy about this 2nd year of tent folding and unlike the players get no paycheck from the McCaskeys, win or lose. Lovie makes it worse as he doesn’t even appear to have passed Coach PR 101 and that makes it even worse. As if the Packer game yeaterday didn’t matter to Bears fans. What city is Lovie coaching in?

73. filthymcnasty1 says: Dec 17, 2012 6:53 PM

74. green80hut says: Dec 17, 2012 7:38 PM

A lot of pro players think fans don’t know anything about their sport. But in my experience a lot of fans are VERY smart about sports. I’ve got friend in their 60’s who’ve probably seen 1,000 NFL games. They know crappy and stupid football when they see it. Football isn’t nuclear physics. Just because someone don’t have the body or skills to play a sport doesn’t mean they can’t be very knowledgable about it. Fans are smarter than guys like Urlacher think.

75. marc127 says: Dec 17, 2012 10:59 PM

You are telling me no other team gets booed at home? Please! Watch any NFL game where a team is struggling and eventually there will be boos from the home crowd. You’re right Brian what do fans in Jacksonville, Detroit, Arizona, Pittsburgh, Carolina, San Diego, Cleveland, Baltimore, Buffalo, Miami, Tampa, Dallas, New Orleans, St. Louis, Oakland, or Kansas City have to boo about?

76. marc127 says: Dec 17, 2012 11:12 PM

He may not care what the fans think but he sure doesn’t mind all the money he made off of them.

77. larryboodry says: Dec 18, 2012 1:56 AM

filthymcnasty1 says: Dec 17, 2012 6:53 PM

“Bear fans are the biggest meatheads in the league, so I’m not surprised that one of the most iconic players in team history called them out on their sub human IQ’s.”

Not all Packer fans are classy and knowledgeable, so I’m not surprised that the dullest knife in the drawer among GB fans would make such a baseless comment.

If I were a Packer fan, I would not want to be associated with ignorant cheeseheads like you, who only know how to disparage others.