Lions sign Ron Bartell

Mohamed Sanu, Ron Bartell AP

With Lions defensive backs continuing to drop like flies, Detroit has signed one cornerback while putting another one on injured reserve.

Ron Bartell, who was cut by the Raiders last week, was picked up by the Lions today. That move came at the same time that the Lions placed cornerback Jacob Lacey, who suffered a knee injury on Sunday, on injured reserve.

Bartell started for the Raiders in Week One, then suffered an injury that caused him to miss the next nine weeks, then returned for Week Ten and started five more games before the Raiders cut him. He signed in Oakland this year after spending five seasons with the Rams, who took him in the second round of the 2005 NFL draft.

A Detroit native, Bartell will now get to spend the holidays at home.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Lions sign Ron Bartell”
  1. socalraider909 says: Dec 18, 2012 5:52 PM

Did they lions not see how bad he got burned on every play I’m surprised someone wanted him

2. redwingfan1234 says: Dec 18, 2012 6:09 PM

If I were the head coach in this situation (who’s in the hot seat) with DB’s and WR’s dropping like flies, I’d say it’s time to get silly in week 16 and 17. Suh would be in at corner. There would be new defensive formations. I’d sign Mike Martz to play quarterback. Whatever. Anything but signing outcasts. This season is done, over, and after a string of one possession games followed by the tragedy against Arizona, embarrassing. Why add this guy to the mix?

3. blackandbluedivision says: Dec 18, 2012 6:15 PM

SMH, yet another nickel corner to go with the rest of the bunch. I swear this team likes giving up 300+ yard a game through the air.

4. goraidersgospurs says: Dec 18, 2012 6:17 PM

Raiders CBs have been taking off the market as soon as they hit it, DVD, Routt, C.J, Bartell!!!

5. 3ghostninja says: Dec 18, 2012 6:17 PM

Hey, I thought the security guard did OK at CB. Still worried about the vending machine guy at WR though.

6. kane337 says: Dec 18, 2012 6:53 PM

Darn, Julio and Roddy got no shot this week.

7. raiderapologist says: Dec 18, 2012 7:21 PM

If any Lions fans aren’t sure who Bartell is, he will be the guy chasing the receiver into the end zone this week.

8. weaselpuppy says: Dec 18, 2012 8:11 PM

Yeah, by my count that makes him the #14 CB this season.

Houston Berry Florence Bentley Lacey Greenwood Green Lee Phonz Miller Murphy Barnes Carey…

and the # 21 DB…..

brutal. Funny thing is this is the 4th season like this in the last 9 years for this level of DB injury chicanery….if I were a DB I’d never consider signing because you are sure to be hurt,

9. csdaddy7777 says: Dec 18, 2012 8:47 PM

He’s a stand up guy. I’m glad for him.

10. demolition510 says: Dec 18, 2012 9:54 PM

Well, Larry did say he was the toughest CB he’s faced. Good for him that he was able to sign at home.

11. mack2x says: Dec 19, 2012 9:19 AM

At this point, what does it matter? Besides, he couldn’t be any worse than Lacey.