Victor Cruz visits Jack Pinto’s family

The shoe of New York Giants wide receiver Cruz bears the words R.I.P. Jack Pinto during game in Atlanta Reuters

The connection between Giants receiver Victor Cruz and the family of six-year-old Jack Pinto intensified on Tuesday.

According to NorthJersey.com, Cruz visited Jack’s family home, meeting with Jack’s family and other young children from the town.  Several hours after Cruz arrived, kids left with signed jerseys and footballs.

Cruz contacted Jack Pinto’s family on Saturday night after learning that he was a big fan of the third-year receiver.  Cruz honored the boy by writing “Jack Pinto, My Hero” on Cruz’s cleats.

Said Cruz after the visit on Twitter:  “Much love to the entire Pinto family.  Great people with huge hearts.  I’m sorry again for your loss.  Looking at life through a different lens.”

Jack Pinto was laid to rest Monday, wearing a Victor Cruz jersey.

Permalink 97 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
97 Responses to “Victor Cruz visits Jack Pinto’s family”
  1. 7pints says: Dec 18, 2012 8:16 PM

Hopefully this gave the family even just a few minutes of happiness. God bless!

2. bobbybcc says: Dec 18, 2012 8:16 PM

So Sad, your a good manMr. Cruz

3. blackngold4life says: Dec 18, 2012 8:17 PM

Outstanding!

4. bearnmind says: Dec 18, 2012 8:18 PM

A man with a great heart. I’m sure the family appreciated it. I know it made me feel a little better.

5. cheesewizz says: Dec 18, 2012 8:19 PM

Classy move. Well done sir…

6. billymccloskey says: Dec 18, 2012 8:20 PM

this guy is a solid person and a man. every child should look up to atheletes like Victor Cruz, not the divas

7. kinger1989 says: Dec 18, 2012 8:21 PM

Good for you cruz guys got a good heart

8. flyerguy73 says: Dec 18, 2012 8:22 PM

Great story from such a tragedy. Very cool Victor, very cool.

9. saintswillprevail says: Dec 18, 2012 8:22 PM

All I can say Victor is that you are a stand up guy! To do that for that grieving family is pretty incredible!

10. filthymcnasty1 says: Dec 18, 2012 8:23 PM

Victor Cruz’s parents did a good job.

11. sakatak says: Dec 18, 2012 8:24 PM

Victor Cruz, my hero.

12. connie73 says: Dec 18, 2012 8:26 PM

Victor Cruz YOU ARE MY HERO

13. vendictar says: Dec 18, 2012 8:27 PM

Even as a Redskins fan, I absolutely love Victor Cruz. Great player, class act, fun guy.

And then I read this article and my respect for him gets even higher. What a wonderful thing to do for this family!

14. jonny42671 says: Dec 18, 2012 8:28 PM

Pure Class Mr. Cruz. God bless that little Angel.

15. acromartieismydad says: Dec 18, 2012 8:28 PM

I just became a huge Victor Cruz fan!

16. bigd93 says: Dec 18, 2012 8:29 PM

as a diehard cowboys fan , i have to say i love this guy !!!!!!

17. nflfan1 says: Dec 18, 2012 8:31 PM

Now that is class personified. Well done Mr. Cruz. YOU are a role model.

18. bluefan204 says: Dec 18, 2012 8:31 PM

So proud that you’re a Giant, Vic. Much love and respect

19. kattykathy says: Dec 18, 2012 8:32 PM

This just breaks my heart.

I suppose there are a few good men still around.

20. theycallmehof says: Dec 18, 2012 8:36 PM

So who are the folks “thumbs downing” the comments on this article? As a GBP fan I hate the giants but this is a classy move “Thumbs up” Mr. Cruz.

21. dbones750 says: Dec 18, 2012 8:37 PM

Doesn’t matter who you root for, we can all be Victor Cruz fans today.

22. caniacx4 says: Dec 18, 2012 8:38 PM

Very classy dude!!!

23. ladymacesq says: Dec 18, 2012 8:40 PM

I’m a Redskin fan and dislike the Giants on general principles.

Except Victor Cruz. If I had a hat on, sir, I would tip it to you. You’ve shown to be a good human being and I wish you all kinds of well.

24. upperdecker19 says: Dec 18, 2012 8:41 PM

Eagles fan.

That is awesome! I’m a bigger fan of Victor Cruz as a man than any football player or team.

25. donmega72 says: Dec 18, 2012 8:51 PM

As being a new father to a son named Jack, I applaud Mr. Cruz’s actions. This event feels worse to me than 9/11.

26. 8man says: Dec 18, 2012 8:51 PM

Wow! Just so cool…..

Well done! God bless!

27. bigblue5611 says: Dec 18, 2012 8:51 PM

RIP little fella……….so so sad RIP

28. themonkeyman says: Dec 18, 2012 8:53 PM

You are a quility human being Mr. Cruz. The world needs more of you. Bless you.

29. dawglb says: Dec 18, 2012 8:55 PM

VC, you are what is good in professional sports. It is so nice to hear a story like this. Rooting for you, now!

30. themonkeyman says: Dec 18, 2012 8:55 PM

quality*

As the posters on PFT wish I could type.

31. wallycox says: Dec 18, 2012 8:56 PM

Thumbs down to the thumb’s down

32. skoobyfl says: Dec 18, 2012 8:56 PM

Bills fan here & Victor has a new fan.

33. h1ndrix says: Dec 18, 2012 8:59 PM

Wonderful gesture Mr Cruz. You can add me to your growing list of fans.

34. modellforprez says: Dec 18, 2012 9:01 PM

very thoughtful of cruz. could never imagine the pinto’s loss of my own and would like to send heartfelt condolences to anyone who has lost a child or loved one in those tragic events this past Friday.

35. peepeetoucher says: Dec 18, 2012 9:03 PM

Making Paterson and the rest of NJ proud. You da man Victor, way to step up to be a better human. The world needs it. If I was your mom I’d cook you some Chunky Soup over rice when you get home. R.I.P to all the victims.

36. bledalotofgreen says: Dec 18, 2012 9:04 PM

As an eagles fan I obviously dislike the giants very much but with that being said football is very small compared to the sickening tragedy at sandy hook ….. much respect to victor Cruz for trying to put a smile on the kids from sandy hook and the pinto families faces

37. MyTeamsAllStink says: Dec 18, 2012 9:06 PM

Raider fan.

There are very few athletes who I look at as true role models.Today I ad Victor Cruz to that list.He,Warrick Dunn,and Payton Manning are three athletes that I believe any parent would be proud if their children looked up to them as role models.

38. barackfan says: Dec 18, 2012 9:09 PM

For a few moments Jack’s family was able to feel joy, I hope. Victor is doing what the Lord asked him to do.

39. maritime85 says: Dec 18, 2012 9:13 PM

guys all heart. great gesture mr cruz

40. 2difshoe says: Dec 18, 2012 9:15 PM

And Brian Urlacher would say, ” I could care less about the fans. ”

Victor Cruz, you have renewed my faith that class and integrity still exists in the NFL and amoungst those blessed with your gift and talent !

Thank you for giving a moment of peace to the Pinto family in their overwhelming time of grief !

You are nothing but class !!!

Bear fan

41. gauchopayne says: Dec 18, 2012 9:15 PM

Skins fan and dislike everything about the Giants….except Victor Cruz. Good receiver, better man.

42. brownsalwaysrebuilding says: Dec 18, 2012 9:17 PM

Ochocinco used to buy 85 people dinner the night before his away games in whatever city he was in.

Andre Johnson just gave a bunch of kids a minute and a half to run through a toy store and grab as many toys as they can.

Now Victor Cruz does this.

Wide Receivers are great guys apparently. Well except for Plaxico Burress, Braylon Edwards, Donte Stallworth… ok nevermind.

43. giantsfan2104 says: Dec 18, 2012 9:19 PM

Class.

Pure class.

44. nicnacbootysmack says: Dec 18, 2012 9:19 PM

Reading this puts a lump in my throat. What a great man. RIP Jack, and all the other victims.

45. skinsgal4life says: Dec 18, 2012 9:21 PM

Way to go, Victor!!! All NFL players should emulate you.

46. 22yanks says: Dec 18, 2012 9:22 PM

Very classy mr. Victor Cruz most of the athletes should b like you , and this coming from a cowboys fan . Great job

47. greymares says: Dec 18, 2012 9:23 PM

from someone who hates everything New York. well done Victor Cruz.

48. dansnyderswallet says: Dec 18, 2012 9:26 PM

Thank you Mr. Cruz.

49. norwegianwud says: Dec 18, 2012 9:27 PM

May God bless this child’s family. Hopefully the actions of an NFL player can bring just a touch of comfort to them and help them move toward anything positive. Thanks to Victor Cruz and any NFL player, athlete, musician, or positive influence, etc., that can help these people bring this community and these families back to something that makes sense in life. This event did not and never will make sense.

50. cooklynn17 says: Dec 18, 2012 9:28 PM

The Giants and Cruz are class acts all the time, all the way.

51. kane337 says: Dec 18, 2012 9:42 PM

ARRRGHHHHH! I get so angry when I think about those parents having to put their 6 year old to rest. Such a senseless act affecting so many lives.

52. dkrauss93 says: Dec 18, 2012 9:43 PM

Respect

53. rg3enoughsaid says: Dec 18, 2012 9:44 PM

I hate the giants… but i respect VC as a man, a nfl athlete giving instead of taking

54. xerocc says: Dec 18, 2012 9:54 PM

wonderful story, Cruz is a great man.

55. cantgetenoughwp says: Dec 18, 2012 9:54 PM

Good man Cruz! And good to hear all the other teams fans comments too. It really restores my faith in humanity.

56. steveop24 says: Dec 18, 2012 9:55 PM

I have to say i am quite suprised and saddened to see any thumbs down here. The is not a football issue, this is a humanity issue. This is not whether you are a giants fan or not. ( sadly im a bills fan) this is about a genuine stand up guy doing what he can to help a family grieving for their lost child due to a senseless act. I wish i had the Star power to do the same to help but i simply do not. Victor cruz, I hold the utmost respect for you for how you were able to honor this child and help his family the way you were able to.

57. stinkfingers says: Dec 18, 2012 9:56 PM

Very nice gesture by Mr Cruz. Hopefully it helps this family heal, if only just a little.

Thoughts and prayers to anybody affected by this unspeakable tragedy.

58. leeprice420 says: Dec 18, 2012 9:57 PM

Well done, Victor! Getting involved in a situation as horrific as this, where a lesser man would’ve just mailed a few autographed balls, is really admirable.

On a side note, will the uniform police be fining him for his non-conforming cleats?

59. Cereal says: Dec 18, 2012 10:03 PM

THere is a black cloud over our country because of this mess. I still feel ill & am shock…so gloomy. I’m trying to move on & enjoy the holidays but I dont think I will be able to this year. Thoughts & prayers to Newtown CT. Classy move by Victor

60. dchuwo says: Dec 18, 2012 10:04 PM

Packers fan, not a Giants fan, but a big Victor Cruz fan. Great to see an athlete with some perspective and who remembers what really matters. Memo to ESPN, focus on these stories, rather than the usual garbage.

61. cjmosca says: Dec 18, 2012 10:13 PM

As a Patriots fan, I want to say thank you to Victor Cruz for this kind gesture. This says a lot about you as a person and I am certain your family is very proud of the young man you have become.

You have a new fan Mr Cruz.

62. thermalito says: Dec 18, 2012 10:13 PM

I have so much respect for Victor Cruz

63. boyshole25 says: Dec 18, 2012 10:22 PM

Cruz is a good dude

64. cdngatorfan says: Dec 18, 2012 10:25 PM

Whoever you are giving all the thumbs down, you need to seriously ask yourself why you have a problem with this.

Cruz didn’t have to do this, he chose to. He made a family feel that their son mattered to his hero.

In my Mind, that makes Victor Cruz a hero in a profession that so often just cares about themselves.

Mr. Cruz, you are an excellent football player, but today you are a great human being.

65. allen227 says: Dec 18, 2012 10:26 PM

Victor Cruz is a real class act. He took the time to show this grieving family some love and support. I hope for nothing but the best for him from now on.

66. joebloww says: Dec 18, 2012 10:32 PM

Thank you Victor.

67. wwwmattcom says: Dec 18, 2012 10:33 PM

The inequity of these murders is outrageous and the healing process will have to somehow be as equally opposite. Way to recognize Victor.

68. rayray5227 says: Dec 18, 2012 10:39 PM

NFL needs more men like Victor Cruz. Respect.

69. manilarizzo says: Dec 18, 2012 10:40 PM

I hate Victor Cruz the NY Giant but I really respect Mr Cruz the person. Good man. Need more of them in professional sports.

70. kjs7way says: Dec 18, 2012 10:41 PM

Amen……

71. yournuts says: Dec 18, 2012 10:45 PM

Victor Cruz, you have made me proud of an athlete who gives of himself. Much love and pride in becomming a fan of you. Well done Victor.

72. steelcityspin says: Dec 18, 2012 10:48 PM

acromartieismydad said:

“On a side note, who ever is giving “thumbs down” needs to take a long, hard look at themselves. It’s not cute or even remotely funny, take a crack at being a human being, get out of your mom’s basement and grow up!”

I could not agree more. I’m a long-time reader but I rarely post on here. But, the ‘thumbs down’ to the comments commending Victor Cruz for takint time out of his busy life to hang out with Pinto’s family are terrible. I had to post about it. Those comments, alone, don’t give me much hope for society in general. To know there are people out there that have these viewpoints is disheartening. I pray God has mercy on you and helps you change your ways.

73. commonsensedude says: Dec 18, 2012 11:24 PM

Props to Victor Cruz from a ‘Skins fan. Anything that could have brought even a moment of relief to this suffering family was a great thing to do.

74. extremepanic says: Dec 18, 2012 11:27 PM

Victor Cruz can dance that silly salsa dance when scoring a touchdown anytime.

I think this happens more in the NFL than the bad stuff we always read about.

75. uraxcrunner says: Dec 18, 2012 11:30 PM

A class act now even a bigger Cruz fan. That was so nice for him to do I hope it lifted their spirit some. God bless you Victor Cruz

76. 3yardsndust says: Dec 19, 2012 12:08 AM

Just became a big Victor Cruz fan. Thank you for reaching out to this family.

77. edithpiaf51 says: Dec 19, 2012 12:25 AM

Victor Cruz is a classy guy and a beautiful person. He demonstrated so much compassion. What a class act. God bless Cruz nd God bless the family of the little boy and all the others. May God bless all.

78. bunglesandbears says: Dec 19, 2012 12:51 AM

A truly brave act in the face of unspeakable tragedy.

I think Cruz’s sole shines right through the colour of his jersey.

79. thelakeshow562 says: Dec 19, 2012 1:06 AM

R.I.P

80. moturnovers24 says: Dec 19, 2012 1:26 AM

Your a good person mr Cruz

81. catfish252 says: Dec 19, 2012 1:28 AM

One of the most loving gestures I ever heard. Thank you Victor for giving yourself to the Pinto’s and the entire Newtown Family. It’s an absolutely wonderful thing to do. May God Bless You abundantly.

82. 3kdad says: Dec 19, 2012 2:30 AM

To all you 10 yr olds with the thumbs down: Get off your mom’s computer and go to bed.

83. 808ninerfan says: Dec 19, 2012 5:33 AM

Good to see some classy players out there. A true inspiration and I hope other players take notice that they can be positive role models to the youngest of fans

84. nvjackalope says: Dec 19, 2012 7:03 AM

Just who are the select group of a@@h0les that are giving this a thumbs down?

Well done Victor. Class.

85. DonRSD says: Dec 19, 2012 7:03 AM

Good job Victor.

86. golforepar says: Dec 19, 2012 7:48 AM

The NFL needs more class guys like Victor Cruz!

87. ravensnosncaps says: Dec 19, 2012 8:09 AM

Awesome move Cruz.

88. silvernblackpa says: Dec 19, 2012 8:13 AM

Suddenly got REALLY dusty in here. A moving story and I take my hat off to Victor Cruz

89. EJ says: Dec 19, 2012 8:42 AM

Victor Cruz is a one of a kind. Good job Cruz! If every NFL player followed in his footsteps, this would be a much brighter world!

90. hkdaddyo says: Dec 19, 2012 8:55 AM

Wow, how awesome in Victor Cruz huh? If only most other NFL players spent more time doing stuff like this instead of “making it rain” in strip clubs, they could really do something positive by making a lasting impression on young kids who will be the next NFL stars.

91. tlmoon2112 says: Dec 19, 2012 9:09 AM

Class, way to go Victor Cruz.

92. billco6192012 says: Dec 19, 2012 9:24 AM

Victor you are a class act and what you did for that family is going to go a very long way.The family needed hope and you were a light in time of darkness.Mr Cruz stay classy, WE LOVE YOU BUDDY

93. jerrykill4pres says: Dec 19, 2012 9:28 AM

Victor Cruz, you are a good man!

You know, alot of the time, celebrity, or pro athlete appearances are arranged thru sponsors, and things like that, and they are being paid for it. But it’s not like they “want” to be there. It’s just for a paycheck. But this was out of his heart. He knows what’s going on there. He now has seen first hand the tragedy this town is going thru. And he is just showing where his heart is. He might be a darn good WR, but he’s a better human being! Athletes like him, they are the ones that really put a smile on your face. He didn’t want anything out of this, didn’t want publicity, or accolades or any of that. Just wanted to try and do what he can to maybe take a little bit of the pain away.

Not a Gmen fan at all after a 41-donut NFCCG whooping they gave us about 11 years ago. But Mr Cruz, i always enjoyed your salsa, and now i just enjoy what you really stand for as a person! Your a good man!

94. maddog111 says: Dec 19, 2012 9:30 AM

What a wonderful thing to do. Huge Victor Cruz fan for life now.

95. szwhtsup123 says: Dec 19, 2012 10:03 AM

How cool is it to see fans from all different teams putting aside their like/dislikes and recognizing Victor Cruz for the class act he is? While our passions may be with other teams it’s nice to see that we can all unite around a good cause and honor a man that has gone above and beyond to heal a nation recovering from a despicable, senseless act. Godspeed Jack Pinto and nice going Victor Cruz!

96. jhb64 says: Dec 19, 2012 11:11 AM

A class act. Shows what he is made of.

97. boltsfan14 says: Dec 19, 2012 1:53 PM

Class act Victor Cruz. This is what being human is all about. Unselfish, compassionate, caring. God Bless you Victor and God Bless Newtown.