Broncos were high on Weeden, until they got Manning

Brandon Weeden AP

The Broncos’ decision-makers were in Stillwater, Okla., scouting Brandon Weeden when Brandon Weeden became a moot point to them.

But if not for their signing of Peyton Manning, Weeden might well have ended up in Denver.

Jeff Legwold of the Denver Post has some good background on the Broncos’ thought process during their pursuit of Manning, including the fact Manning was on the plane that picked John Elway and John Fox after their visit with Weeden.

The Browns picked Weeden 22nd overall. The Broncos were in the 25th spot, before trading down twice.

It was clear the Broncos were intrigued by Weeden’s maturity and his time as a professional baseball player, making him a player they thought could contribute quickly (although Fox replaced a similar player in Chris Weinke as quickly as he could with Rodney Peete in Carolina in 2002).

But once Manning signed with them, they didn’t want to invest a pick in a 29-year-old knowing they’d committed to Manning for the foreseeable future.

That sent them in the direction of 21-year-old Brock Osweiler as their developmental quarterback.

No one’s worried about the long-term future with Manning at the helm, but Broncos fans can take a peek at what might have been this weekend.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill
22 Responses to “Broncos were high on Weeden, until they got Manning”
  1. bluebongzilla says: Dec 19, 2012 11:22 AM

I saw what you did there.

2. huskersrock1 says: Dec 19, 2012 11:24 AM

Missed it by that much!

3. joetoronto says: Dec 19, 2012 11:31 AM

“No one’s worried about the long-term future with Manning at the helm”

I don’t see how anyone can honestly say this.

Manning’s neck HAS to be a major daily concern for everyone associated with the club, even their fans.

4. redrite88 says: Dec 19, 2012 11:32 AM

Here’s a peek:

Batted down passes, quick slants, and interceptions

5. cash804 says: Dec 19, 2012 11:34 AM

I’m sure he would have rather have been Tebow’s back-up than Cleveland’s starter…

6. dbarnes79 says: Dec 19, 2012 11:36 AM

Broncos are in excellent shape. Manning looks as good as ever and Osweiller looks like a good developmental QB.

7. eatitfanboy says: Dec 19, 2012 11:36 AM

When I am wrong, I admit I was wrong. I thought Weeden was the third best prospect in this draft after RGIII and Andrew Luck.

Well, my apologies to Russell Wilson, Ryan Tannehill, and probably even Nick Foles, who all appear to be much better than Weeden.

In my defense, he did look great at Oklahoma State, but I guess I should have paid more attention to the system he was in.

8. buccobrigade says: Dec 19, 2012 11:46 AM

The play on words in the headline is awesome

9. knew8411 says: Dec 19, 2012 11:56 AM

As much as I ike Manning….he has maybe 3 years left in him (IMO). The Broncos are going to be in the same situation as Minnesota was/is after Favre.

10. metspeed21 says: Dec 19, 2012 11:59 AM

I’m a Browns and even I know that Weeden is the victim of the worst play calling and scheme in all of football. You didn’t have to see his press conference to know what he was thinking while he watched Cousins play in a fun offense suited to his skill set.

11. cruciankenny says: Dec 19, 2012 12:03 PM

Pun intended I presume!

12. dontasemebro says: Dec 19, 2012 12:07 PM

Weeden’s play (or lack of) is directly attributed to the coaching staff. He would probably excel at any other team that built, at least some, of their plays around his skill set. (see RG III @ Washington Redkins)

13. jimmyactionzer0 says: Dec 19, 2012 12:23 PM

Brock Osweiler couldnt out perform Caleb Hanie in the pre-season but i still hope him the best! It always seems like Osweiler is just wandering around on the sidelines unless Peyton has everyone grouped up. He doesn’t even hold a clipboard! I have been a life long broncos fan and will continue to be one. I really dont see Osweiler ever being our starter.

14. ballboy48 says: Dec 19, 2012 12:25 PM

I’m not bashing anyone, but didn’t Elway play terrible as a rookie? Weeden has had more downs than ups, but he’s a rookie on the youngest NFL team.

He’s somewhere around 5th or 6th, in total passing yards for a rookie QB, in NFL history. He just needs a little more help, and a real good QB coach!

15. boctavious says: Dec 19, 2012 12:33 PM

Weeden is a still a rookie qb. His struggles are normal (with frustrating exception to the batted passes). The fact the Browns as a whole are one of, if not thee, youngest teams in the league, only exacerbates his struggles. He will be ok. And the Browns will finally be good once this roster matures.

16. ccjcsr says: Dec 19, 2012 12:41 PM

Poor scouting since Wilson is tearing it up in Seattle

17. JackAcid says: Dec 19, 2012 1:19 PM

So, they have an affinity for ancient signal callers.

Noted.

18. Kaz says: Dec 19, 2012 1:20 PM

boctavious says:
    Dec 19, 2012 12:33 PM
    _______

Problem is Weeden will be in his mid 30’s by the time the roster “matures”.

19. manningbowl88 says: Dec 19, 2012 1:23 PM

i thought it was a mistake in the first place to not let a competition brew between mccoy and weeden in the preseason bec i liked mccoy i seen him lead his team 2 a few Ws in his rookie season and almost have a few others all he needed was talent.. if cleveland got t.rich and a WR to help out mccoy i think browns would be at 7-8 win mark right now… again with mccoy

20. jjbadd385 says: Dec 19, 2012 1:24 PM

I said it before the season began, & I continue to beleive this: In the past 10 seasons, NO player should be judged for their performance on the Cleveland Browns, as they are one of the most dysfunctional organizations during that time period. Poor coaching, lack of talent, unloyal fanbase, poor ownership, etc…. It’s hard to imagine any player having success there. Without Weeden & Richardson this year, I dont see Cleveland having as many wins as they do. I think Weeden is much better than he gets credit for. He will be better as the new ownership hopefully, restructures the team from the bottom up.

21. joetoronto says: Dec 19, 2012 1:25 PM

ccjcsr says:
    Dec 19, 2012 12:41 PM
    Poor scouting since Wilson is tearing it up in Seattle
    ***************************************************

Wilson is the media’s darling right now, that’ll change soon enough.

The guy is rated 27th in the NFL.

22. realfootballfan says: Dec 19, 2012 3:27 PM

I’ve said this for all of the disgruntled Cleveland fans comparing Weeden to Chris Weinke. Holmgren can identify good QB prospects, and he drafted this guy. If you groom him right, I think those interceptions will eventually go down, and you can see the talent taht he has.