Packers could be short on running backs Sunday

AP

The Packers have wrapped up the NFC North, but they’d still like to get the first round bye that goes to the top two seeds in the NFC come playoff time.

They’ll continue their effort to secure one of those spots against the Titans in Green Bay this Sunday, but they may be short on running backs as they try to do it. Coach Mike McCarthy said Wednesday that Alex Green suffered a concussion in the victory over the Bears in Week 15 and he hasn’t been cleared to practice yet. McCarthy expressed optimism that Green would recover in time to play against Tennessee (he said the same about guard T.J. Lang, who is also recovering from a concussion), which would be a good thing for Green Bay because they are thin at the spot without him.

With James Starks still sidelined by a knee injury, the Packers would be down to John Kuhn, Ryan Grant and DuJuan Harris (who have 44 carries between them this year) with Green out of the picture. The Packers would still have plenty of ways to beat the Titans, but life would be much easier with Green in the lineup.

McCarthy also updated the situations of a couple of other injured players. Safety Charles Woodson still hasn’t gotten clearance to return from his broken collarbone and wide receiver Jordy Nelson didn’t practice because of the hamstring injury that’s kept him out the last two weeks. Neither player’s going to be rushed back to the lineup at this point, but a return to the practice field would be a welcome development in Green Bay all the same.

19 responses to “Packers could be short on running backs Sunday

1. I’m not sure Woodson – who is one of my favorite all time players, is racing to get back. At some point you got to figure he’s decided hey this is the last year, why go out and get beat up again when I pretty much missed the biggest part of the season.
    I think he is hoping to hold out until playoff time and then that will be his swanson as they say.

2. No problem. Next man up, that happens to be DuJuan. He should have been getting more carries any way.

3. I like Alex, but DuJuan has shown something in the past couple of weeks – I’m ok with him getting a majority of the early carries and them having Grant and Kuhn hammer away at them in the 4th Qtr.

4. purpleguy says:Dec 19, 2012 3:34 PM

It seems like the Packers have been short on running backs since the days of Brockington.
    —————————

This is from a Vikings’ fan, a team who hasn’t had a qb since Tarkington and a SB never? Yes, I know, Favre, but he was a one year wonder rental.

Ever hear of Ahman Green, Edgar Bennett or Dorsey Levens?

5. purpleguy says: Dec 19, 2012 3:34 PM

———————————————————–

You’re so right. I wasn’t alive then, but Brockington and McCarthur Lane were pretty solid…other than Ahman Green, Packers had pretty weak running games since then.

6. beedubyatoo says:Dec 19, 2012 4:00 PM

purpleguy says:Dec 19, 2012 3:34 PM

—————————

Ever hear of Ahman Green, Edgar Bennett or Dorsey Levens?
    ———
    I thought the subject was RBs but you went ahead and took a jab at QBs. Anywho…Daunte Culpepper rings a bell. At least when he had Randy Moss as a target.

7. immafubared says:Dec 19, 2012 3:19 PM

————————————

You just described the exact opposite of Charles Woodson.

8. purpleguy says: Dec 19, 2012 3:34 PM

—————————————————
    You forgot MacArthur Lane!
    Eddie Lee Ivory and Gary Ellis were a pretty good pair with Eric “Rubber Legs” Torkelson sprinkled in. Edgar Bennett and Dorsey Levins were damned good!

9. immafubared says:Dec 19, 2012 3:19 PM

—————————————————
    A “swanson” is a TV dinner, a Swan Song is for quitters ready to walk away from it all, Charles Woodson is neither!

10. yeah, Culpepper had a couple of pretty good seasons (heck of a season in 04) …
    shame his knees got messed up and his work ethic wasn’t as strong as Brees/McNabb/Peyton.

11. Harris is capable, and this game is a good chance to show what he’s got.

That said, the Packers could play the whole game with an empty backfield and it’d still be a blowout.

12. Dujaun Harris is a small, change of pace kind of back.
    Though I’ve enjoyed watching him carry the rock in a few spot runs here and there, I wouldn’t expect him to have the same kind of production with a heavier workload.
    Look to see a lot of Ryan Grant, holding on to the football (Please!). And working himself into game shape.
    With a few Harris and Kuhn runs sprinkled in.