Foster buys Segways for his linemen

Foster Getty Images

The men who often open large holes through which Texans running back Arian Foster could ride his Segway have now received Segways of their own from Foster.

As explained by Dave Zangaro of CSN Houston, Foster sprung for the pricey devices for every offensive lineman on the roster.

“They all, as a front, can enjoy the joy that I get from riding my Segway,” Foster said.

It also sounds like Foster opted to make the investment so that his offensive linemen would stop giving him grief for rolling around on the two-wheeled individual transportation device.

“A couple of guys like Chris Myers and [Duane] Brown and Wade Smith [are] always getting on me about riding my Segway,” Foster said.  “‘You can’t walk? You too good to walk?’  I’m like, ‘Nah man, I just like to ride wheels.’  I saw a little bit of jealously in their eyes when they were talking about me, so I figured I’d give all the linemen a gift.”

And the gift will have an added benefit, beyond getting the linemen off Foster’s back regarding his selected means of mobility.

“It’s awesome,” Brown said.  “For him to make that gesture is a big deal for us.  I’m gonna block my hardest for 23 on Sunday.”

“I can’t do anything without them,” Foster said.  “If there’s no them, there’s no me.  That’s what a team’s all about.  It’s just my way of giving back to the big fellas up front.”

Foster also isn’t concerned that they’ll crash the devices.  “Sometimes they’re like a polar bear on ice but they should be fine,” Foster said.  “You can’t go that fast on it so you might get a scrape when you fall but I don’t think they’re going to fall.”

By our count, there are 10 offensive linemen on the roster and one on injured reserve.  At roughly $5,000 each, that’s an expensive set of holiday presents.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill
22 Responses to “Foster buys Segways for his linemen”
  1. otistaylor89 says: Dec 20, 2012 7:21 AM

GOB Bluth has a smile on his face today.

2. theeitalian says: Dec 20, 2012 7:34 AM

Pay for performance!

3. patfic15 says: Dec 20, 2012 7:36 AM

Athletes! Like regular people, just better!

4. ccjcsr says: Dec 20, 2012 7:38 AM

Aikman used to buy his Lineman Rolexes…boy the times have changed!

5. bengalsucker says: Dec 20, 2012 8:09 AM

I like reading stories like this. NIce that these guys recognize the linemen that help them succeed on the field every week. However, I heard Benjarvus Green-Ellis on the radio last week and someone asked him what he was getting his linemen for Christmas especially since he’s having such a good year. He responded saying he wasn’t allowed to get them anything because of the bounty issue and that the league looks at it like a bounty. I thought that was weird when he said that so I’m curious to see if the league says anything about Foster doing this. I would hope not but you never know with Goodell.

6. starfan79 says: Dec 20, 2012 8:17 AM

Pretty cool, hey Arian! Can I have your hat?

7. iluvbears says: Dec 20, 2012 8:17 AM

I hope his lineman are using them to try to block for him in Sunday’s game against the Vikings & Jared Allen. That would be fun to watch.

8. rajbais says: Dec 20, 2012 8:19 AM

Aren’t they too fat for those?

9. spellingcops says: Dec 20, 2012 8:39 AM

I think Arian Foster might just be the most awesome guy in the NFL.

10. billshowmail says: Dec 20, 2012 8:41 AM

The only problem is that Segways have a 235 lb weight limit. Maybe those linemen can use them as a golf club cart for walking till they’ve lost the weight. Lol

11. piemasteruk says: Dec 20, 2012 9:05 AM

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a nice gesture, but this is precisely the reason why lots of football players end up broke. Running Backs are all only one play away from forced retirement, so I hope Foster has plenty of money put away for the future if he’s going to start splashing out $50k on what effectively amounts to novelty Christmas presents.

12. tundey says: Dec 20, 2012 9:06 AM

Proving once again that no matter how much money you make, everybody likes free stuff. Especially cool free stuff.

13. purpleguy says: Dec 20, 2012 9:20 AM

AP’s linemen are apparently angling for snowmobiles.

14. steelersownyou says: Dec 20, 2012 9:21 AM

Nice gesture.. in Pittsburgh our offensive line is so bad we buy them blocking for dummies books!!!

15. bigjdve says: Dec 20, 2012 11:21 AM

I like to see this. The linemen get hammered alot without alot of credit.

Good for Arians for showing appreciation. This isn’t bounty, this is thanks for saving my ass from people trying to collect bounties.

16. malvaren18 says: Dec 20, 2012 11:45 AM

I Wonder what Manning is going to get his offensive line for Christmas ?

17. romoscollarbone says: Dec 20, 2012 12:23 PM

I don’t think Arian Foster, is the kinda guy we’ll read about being broke. I doubt 10 segways is putting a dent in his cashflow.

18. skolvikes says: Dec 20, 2012 1:18 PM

It’s a great gesture by Arian Foster. I like to read about these kinds of things.

But something that has always bothered me about this; how is this any different then players getting paid cash for interceptions or fumble recoveries, or big hits, and the like?

Why is one a “salary cap violation” and worth multiple suspensions, fines, and loss of draft picks and one a feel good story?

19. florida727 says: Dec 20, 2012 3:18 PM

Foster’s deal is worth $43.5 MILLION over 5 years. The guess here is he can afford to spend $50K+ on Segways. Awesome gesture regardless. Shows what a classy guy he is. He’s not obligated to buy them gifts. Great story. Thanks for posting it, Mike!

20. txtuff says: Dec 20, 2012 3:40 PM

piemasteruk says:
    Dec 20, 2012 9:05 AM

———————————————————

He still drives the same pickup truck he got as a rookie free agent. He doesn’t waste his money.

21. Mr. Wright 212 says: Dec 20, 2012 4:10 PM

purpleguy says: Dec 20, 2012 9:20 AM

AP’s linemen are apparently angling for snowmobiles.
    ————-

I love this ha.

22. Sometimes Interesting says: Dec 20, 2012 5:39 PM

See Chris Johnson? That’s how you do it.