McElroy: Everything I know about playing QB I learned from Sanchez

Arizona Cardinals v New York Jets Getty Images

Jets fans are nearly unanimous in their belief that Mark Sanchez is a pathetic excuse for a quarterback whose benching was overdue. But the man Sanchez will replace as the Jets’ starter on Sunday, Greg McElroy, doesn’t see it that way.

McElroy says Sanchez has taught him a great deal about playing quarterback, and that he’ll try to emulate Sanchez this week.

“Everything that I’ve learned at this position in this league has been from Mark,” McElroy said, in comments distributed by the Jets’ PR staff. “He’s the guy that I’ve seen every day. Every day that I’ve been an NFL player, I’ve been looking up to him. I’ve been observing him and trying to follow after his lead. I’ve been watching him. I understand how to play this game because of him.”

McElroy has said that last year’s Jets team had a bunch of selfish guys who didn’t care if they won or lost, but this year McElroy says Sanchez and Tim Tebow have been model teammates.

“I can’t say enough about Mark and Tim,” McElroy said. “Those guys are unselfish and have been nothing but helpful. I talked to Mark [after Jets coach Rex Ryan made the quarterback switch] and he was very encouraging, very helpful, and Tim’s been the same way. I can’t say enough about those guys.”

It’s classy of McElroy to say that. It’s also probably not quite what Jets fans wanted to hear.

Permalink 96 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
96 Responses to “McElroy: Everything I know about playing QB I learned from Sanchez”
  1. knn9413 says: Dec 20, 2012 11:33 AM

oh man… not what anyone wanted to hear

2. ironmike778 says: Dec 20, 2012 11:34 AM

Poor guy.

3. 7ransponder says: Dec 20, 2012 11:34 AM

Uh oh.

4. hater79 says: Dec 20, 2012 11:34 AM

I am sure that is great news to all Jets fans. So how many interceptions is he planning to throw Sunday?

5. FinFan68 says: Dec 20, 2012 11:34 AM

Maybe he learned what NOT to do

6. walker615 says: Dec 20, 2012 11:36 AM

That’s a good sign for the Jets.

7. amartland says: Dec 20, 2012 11:36 AM

he COULD just be saying that, through extensive observation of Sanchez, he now has a thorough understand of what not to do as an NFL quarterback.

8. tallguyme says: Dec 20, 2012 11:36 AM

whoa boy.

9. parkerfly says: Dec 20, 2012 11:37 AM

Uh oh.

10. nflfan1 says: Dec 20, 2012 11:37 AM

Dear Lord, is everyone delusional in this franchise?

11. bbrophy1 says: Dec 20, 2012 11:37 AM

well this should go well then

12. enochmh2 says: Dec 20, 2012 11:37 AM

Oh boy…i hope you’re just being nice greg

13. claymus1 says: Dec 20, 2012 11:40 AM

He who can does…..

14. ewoods6 says: Dec 20, 2012 11:42 AM

I’m VERY sorry for all you Jets fan out there. Talk about a big F U to Nick Saban.

15. thingamajig says: Dec 20, 2012 11:42 AM

The QB coach of the Jets must have a pretty easy job.

16. acdc363 says: Dec 20, 2012 11:43 AM

LOL the jets and their endless supply of entertainment! The comments on this article are cracking me up haha

17. rdrs68 says: Dec 20, 2012 11:43 AM

better than learning from that other guy who thinks he is an NFL caliber QB!

18. steel420 says: Dec 20, 2012 11:44 AM

FinFan68 says:
    Dec 20, 2012 11:34 AM
    Maybe he learned what NOT to do
    ………..
    LOL, good point!

19. chargerdillon says: Dec 20, 2012 11:46 AM

So…..he learned how to throw interceptions and not act like a leader?

All the while you have Tebow a prooven winner sitting on the sideline who’s not good enough to play….

As a Charger fan, I just have to say, the embarrassment that is my team right now, makes me proud to still be a Charger fan when I look at what the Jets are doing.

The Chargers lack talent across the board, the Jets possess a lot of talent, and just purposely choose to not use it. Thank you Jets, things arnt so bad in San Diego after all

20. kellij666 says: Dec 20, 2012 11:47 AM

McElroy: Everything I know about playing QB I learned from Sanchez

oh God, not what anyone wanted to hear. he should just say nothing.

21. olcap says: Dec 20, 2012 11:50 AM

LOL, not good news for the JETS fans!

22. ruvelligwebuike says: Dec 20, 2012 11:50 AM

Is he going to pose in GQ in those ridiculous outfits?

23. fuglyflorio says: Dec 20, 2012 11:51 AM

Wow … just wow.

24. lightcleric says: Dec 20, 2012 11:52 AM

Did he teach you the butt fumble?

25. electionconfidential says: Dec 20, 2012 11:52 AM

I hope he learned the “butt fumble”. I really liked that one.

26. Brinke says: Dec 20, 2012 11:53 AM

that headline is just too easy. fish in a barrel. and I’m a Niners fan!

27. richcranium2112 says: Dec 20, 2012 11:53 AM

Shut up your mouth!

28. mcgil38 says: Dec 20, 2012 11:57 AM

By looking up to Sanchez and Tebow, I’m hoping that Greg also learned what NOT to do…

29. kacapaco says: Dec 20, 2012 12:01 PM

As fan of another team in the division, I cheered for it. I love Sanchez II.

30. borisbulldog says: Dec 20, 2012 12:03 PM

Love that Sanchez will go from Captain Checkdown to Captain Clipboard!

31. pisano says: Dec 20, 2012 12:04 PM

Greg, I don’t think I would have phrased it quite that way, talk about the kiss of death with Jet fans!!!

32. mrgoodbar216 says: Dec 20, 2012 12:04 PM

So you’re telling me you learned nothing about football.

33. tombradysbaby says: Dec 20, 2012 12:05 PM

Jim Jones would be proud of the coolaid the Jets are serving their players.

34. rafterman11 says: Dec 20, 2012 12:06 PM

By the responses, I think its obviously clear to everyone here what our first and only collective thought about McElroy’s comments was. Everyone, except of course, anyone associated with the Jets)

35. cospgsmadman says: Dec 20, 2012 12:07 PM

Maybe he should learn how to pray from Tebow

36. doublezero74 says: Dec 20, 2012 12:07 PM

He learned that constantly throwing picks and fumbling the ball will get you replaced by a this string QB, so that’s good

37. garyman1 says: Dec 20, 2012 12:07 PM

I wonder if McElroy’s first play, he runs right into one of his lineman’s ass and fumbles.

38. jgboys1 says: Dec 20, 2012 12:10 PM

Just when you think it can’t get any worse.

39. fanofevilempire says: Dec 20, 2012 12:11 PM

is he going to run up the linemans ass……..

this could get messy.

40. geniusesq says: Dec 20, 2012 12:13 PM

Genius of him to pre-emptively blame Sanchez for any bad play.

Way to aim low Greg.

41. mungman69 says: Dec 20, 2012 12:14 PM

The Eagles would be a lock to beat the Jets, maybe.

42. ebbycalvinlaloosh says: Dec 20, 2012 12:15 PM

This isn’t necessarily a bad thing. You can learn a lot by watching someone make mistakes so you know what not to do.

43. dowhatifeellike says: Dec 20, 2012 12:17 PM

The best move in the Ravens’ franchise history was taking Jon Ogden and Ray Lewis with their first two draft picks in 1996.

A close second was hiring Harbaugh as head coach instead of giving it to Ryan.

44. pleasantsurpriselefty says: Dec 20, 2012 12:20 PM

You just can’t make this stuff up! I hate everything Jets but I’m even starting to feel sorry for this bunch of lunatics. Will the fun ever stop?

45. skinsfan4 says: Dec 20, 2012 12:22 PM

McElroy is brilliant. He’s giving himself an out by saying “when I suck this weekend, blame Sanchez”.

46. brownmud says: Dec 20, 2012 12:23 PM

Ah, the media trying again to stir the pot. So Jets fans are going to be shocked that he made these comments? What’s he going to say that he hasn’t learned anything behind Mark and Tim and that they are selfish. Greg’s obviously a classy guy and he made some nice remarks about his “friends”. Good for him and good luck.

BTW, I’m not a fan of either but I bet that both Mark and Tim will once again be starters in this league and they will both probably be successful. The Jets coaching staff is bad. The “new” offense is a gimmick. Put Mark in a conventional offense and Tim in a Shanahan type offense and see the difference. You have to have the right people for your scheme.

47. ubummer says: Dec 20, 2012 12:23 PM

Well that couldn’t have taken long.

48. nite2al says: Dec 20, 2012 12:32 PM

Yeah, he’s learned a lot from Sanchez…what mistakes NOT to make!

49. jimiinpa says: Dec 20, 2012 12:36 PM

Everything I know about playing QB I learned from Sanchez————boy , are you in trouble

50. randomguy9999 says: Dec 20, 2012 12:37 PM

Jets fans should be hoping he is just being a nice guy to Sanchez by saying that… which is probably the case…

maybe McElroy will be the guy… it’s definitely the best Jets decision all year…

51. dexterismyhero says: Dec 20, 2012 12:37 PM

I think Tebow just Tebowed when he read that!!!!!

52. schmitty2 says: Dec 20, 2012 12:39 PM

Let’s hope he didn’t learn Sanchez’ lack of fashion sense as well

53. thejuddstir says: Dec 20, 2012 12:39 PM

Packaging McElroy, Tebow and Sanchez in a trade would get you…………a bag a donuts!

54. ccjcsr says: Dec 20, 2012 12:42 PM

Trying to kiss Sanchez’s butt but talk about a total backfire!

55. whatjusthapped says: Dec 20, 2012 12:44 PM

I had hopes for him until he opened his mouth.

56. 305fan says: Dec 20, 2012 12:46 PM

And the rest of the AFC East locker rooms break out with severe abdominal pain due to uncontrolled laughter. The dominoes have only just began to fall for this horrible team. LOL.

57. bigbabies says: Dec 20, 2012 1:05 PM

So Sanchez has been by McElroy’s side since pop warner?

58. azarkhan says: Dec 20, 2012 1:10 PM

Obviously the lessons from Sanchito didn’t include what to say and what NOT to say to the media.

59. asublimeday says: Dec 20, 2012 1:17 PM

This is nearly as scary as when Jake Plummer was mentoring Jay Cutler.

60. youknowwhatsgoodforshoulderpain says: Dec 20, 2012 1:21 PM

Wow. That’s the worst of thing he could have admitted publicly to.

61. hooterdawg says: Dec 20, 2012 1:23 PM

McElroy opens his mouth and says the entirely wrong thing. The guy can’t even sense which way the wind is blowing. This is his moment to distance himself from Sanchez, and offer something different to the fans. Apparently he is not feeling very confident to go out there and play his game without support on the sidelines from Sanchez.

62. immafubared says: Dec 20, 2012 1:28 PM

OMG! If this means what I think it means, the Jets have three useless quarterbacks. Ouch.
    Maybe they could find some team stupid enough to take all three for a first round pick.

63. bengalsstillsuck says: Dec 20, 2012 1:28 PM

Looks like you’ll be on the trading block too.

64. immafubared says: Dec 20, 2012 1:30 PM

If Tebow was helpful showing him how to pass, this kid is really screwed. Put a fork in him.

65. bigjdve says: Dec 20, 2012 1:34 PM

I am not a Sanchez fan, however something to remember is that those who can’t teach. Maybe Sanchez is a better teacher than player.

66. tincansailor981 says: Dec 20, 2012 1:40 PM

“Everything that I’ve learned at this position in this league has been from Mark,” McElroy said. Man, is he really going to suck.

67. 69finfan says: Dec 20, 2012 1:43 PM

As a Dolphin Fan is there any chance that Greg could pass some of that wisdom on to Tom Brady and that Tom could emulate Sanchez as well when playing the Fins. It is Christmas so it doesn’t hurt to ask.

68. lawyermalloy says: Dec 20, 2012 1:50 PM

He might want to hold that thought!

69. pvaz869 says: Dec 20, 2012 1:52 PM

Maybe he should use google instead

70. cmdrsmooth says: Dec 20, 2012 2:10 PM

“Genius of him to pre-emptively blame Sanchez for any bad play.” LMAO!

Smart kid. If he stinks it up, it proves he’s a great study. Can we then trade him temporarily to NE or Denver so he can learn from Brady or Manning?

71. green41563 says: Dec 20, 2012 2:23 PM

dowhatifeellike says: Dec 20, 2012 12:17 PM

A close second was hiring Harbaugh as head coach instead of giving it to Ryan.
    ___________________________________

“Yeah, thank God we hired the guy who’s gotten us to one AFC Championship Game in the last four years instead of the guy who’s been to two AFC Championship Games in the last four years!”

Here’s a bulletin: if you measure success by how far you advance in the playoffs–and really, that’s the only measure–then Ryan’s been more successful than Harbaugh.

72. alewatcher says: Dec 20, 2012 2:31 PM

So, McElroy is saying he’s learned zero about playing QB in the NFL? Or is he just going to to the opposite of what Sanchez did?

73. granadafan says: Dec 20, 2012 2:33 PM

Greg sounds like a smart guy and can learn some things from the veterans while not learning bad habits. Take Aaron Rodgers. He was behind a legend, but one of the biggest divas in the league. Favre flat out refused to teach or even talk to Rodgers during the three years they were together. Favre had his own dressing room and parking spot, which no other Packer had. Despite all that Rodgers turned into the best QB in the league by being the anti Favre: Be a good teammate, don’t throw the ball all over the field, don’t text pictures of his junk, don’t throw the organization under the bus, etc.

If McElroy is smart and his own man, he’ll be ok. It remains to be seen, however, if he is talented enough to be an NFL QB.

74. harrisonhits2 says: Dec 20, 2012 2:49 PM

“Everything that I’ve learned at this position in this league has been from Mark”

I’m still laughing half an hour after reading that quote.

Could there be any single phrase Jets fans wanted to hear from the mouth of McElroy less than that one ? I don’t think so.

75. geniusesq says: Dec 20, 2012 2:56 PM

So what position did he play in college then?

76. geniusesq says: Dec 20, 2012 2:58 PM

Nick Saban thinks March Sanchez gets too much attention.

77. thefnlimit says: Dec 20, 2012 3:34 PM

Um, what?

78. malvord13 says: Dec 20, 2012 3:34 PM

O god, I wouldn’t be parading that statement around

79. jeremycrowhurst says: Dec 20, 2012 3:40 PM

I honestly don’t get it. Sanchez is exactly the same guy he’s been for the last three years, except — perhaps unbelievably — he has even less talent around him than ever before. Nobody to catch dump-offs, nobody to go deep, nobody who could start for 20 teams in the league… what kind of production were you expecting from Sanchez, or Tebow, or anyone else?

80. bengalguy says: Dec 20, 2012 3:44 PM

Ahhhhh LOL! Where to start?

81. zenrooster says: Dec 20, 2012 3:54 PM

So did I. That’s why I am not a QB in the NFL.

82. soj83 says: Dec 20, 2012 4:02 PM

i saw the headline and thought i was on the Onion

83. pantsfreezone says: Dec 20, 2012 4:06 PM

“I know nothing about the QB position.”

-Greg McElroy

84. dellis07 says: Dec 20, 2012 4:17 PM

Does he need to be checked for concussion

85. dellis07 says: Dec 20, 2012 4:18 PM

I think he may need to be checked for concussion

86. harry1941 says: Dec 20, 2012 4:19 PM

I hope Sanchez has not been teaching him how to throw INT. We don’t need another Sanchez. I think Sanchez will do fine with the Sea Hawks.

87. blackbug99 says: Dec 20, 2012 4:23 PM

I could hear that were it a Manning/Brady/Farve/Montana etc situation he was in…..but for Sanchez, Nope!! You can spout the team line only so much and then it get stupid. Now, if he’d said, “I learned where to get the best shirts and photo gigs from Sanchez,” I could buy that!!

88. blackbug99 says: Dec 20, 2012 4:25 PM

i saw the headline and thought i was on the Onion
    ………………………………………………………………………………

I would have double thumbs up’d that if I could!

89. barnesaintnoble says: Dec 20, 2012 4:52 PM

McElroy is a smart guy. (Rhodes Scholarship applicant) He’ll be much better than Sanchez or Tebow. He is saying the right things for the team’s purposes.

90. edelmanfanclub says: Dec 20, 2012 5:18 PM

Too easy lol. Waaaaayy too easy haha

91. dabearsk says: Dec 20, 2012 5:21 PM

Even if it is true…why say it out loud? J-E-T-S = J-O-K-E

92. Sometimes Interesting says: Dec 20, 2012 5:25 PM

Being honest: I only clicked the link to read the comments. I knew they’d deliver! :-D

93. dowhatifeellike says: Dec 20, 2012 6:12 PM

en41563 says:
    Dec 20, 2012 2:23 PM
    dowhatifeellike says: Dec 20, 2012 12:17 PM

A close second was hiring Harbaugh as head coach instead of giving it to Ryan.
    ___________________________________

_________________________

Ryan: 2 playoff appearances in 5 years. Lost two AFC championship games.

Harbaugh: 5 playoff appearances in 5 years. Lost two AFC championship games, this year TBD.

If you’re using a stat to make your point, make sure you have the right numbers.

94. davidcl77 says: Dec 20, 2012 9:22 PM

And you know nothing

95. kappy32 says: Dec 21, 2012 12:34 AM

Okay, according to you guys, both John Harbaugh & Rex Ryan are great coaches because they brought their respective teams to two AFC Championship Games? Since when is making the AFC Championship Game something to hang your hat on? Great!!! Wonderful!!! You guys made it to the Final Four, TWICE!!! Gimme a break guys, it’s all about Championships, not appearing in Conference Championship Games. My team won 2 Conference Championships in 4 years, and, oh yeah, 2 Super Bowls during that same time period. Since Sexy Rexy has come to the Jets, my Giants have won 2 more Super Bowls than Rex has won even division titles (2 Super Bowls in 4 years is also the same amount of division titles the Jets have won since 1970). When you win an actual championship, even a division title, then you can talk how good Rex Ryan is. I have never seen a coach get so much praise & be labeled as “great” without having won ANYTHING during his head coaching career. As for Harbaugh v. Rex, Harbaugh is clearly the better coach, no contest. While both have the same amount of Conference Championship APPEARANCES (which means nothing), the Ravens have been consistently a top 4 AFC team every year Harbaugh has been there. Harbaugh has never had the type of season Rex has had this year & he never will – all the while having a QB in Flacco who is far from elite. Turnover & roster changes have occurred, but Harbaugh’s Ravens are always there. Once Rex butchered Mangini’s team & put together a team of his own, one he had significant input in, Rex’s Jets have been horrendous. You can’t even mention Harbaugh & Rex in the same breath. Rex Ryan is more comparable to Rich Kotite or his buddy Tony Sparano than he is John Harbaugh. Jets fans need to wake the F up.

96. trippymane says: Dec 21, 2012 12:42 AM

Mclroy: everything i know i learned from sanchez… *troll face*