Brian Schottenheimer unfazed by head coaching speculation

Sam Bradford, Brian Schottenheimer AP

As holiday traditions go, it’s among the most traditional.

The NFL head coaching rumor cycle starts, and Brian Schottenheimer’s name floats to the top.

The Rams offensive coordinator was mentioned during last week’s Rams-Vikings broadcast as a potential candidate for head coaching jobs, but he said he’s happy in St. Louis.

“At the end of the day I think I have a great job,” Schottenheimer said, via Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “I work for a great organization. I know I work with the best head coach in the National Football League in Coach [Jeff] Fisher. Got a really young football team that’s building something special, and I’m thrilled to be a part of it, . . . and hope to be here for a long time.”

His name has been a fixture in recent offseasons, and he interviewed for the Jaguars job this offseason. He said he’s allowed himself to get excited before, but wants to keep things in perspective.

“Well, first off I know Brian’s ready,” Fisher said. “He’s ready to handle the job and he’s capable. I think he’d do a great job at it. Certainly, he’s been around the game for a long time. He’s got a great pedigree, and this is the time of the year when people start throwing names out there.”

And until he gets a chance to follow in his father’s footsteps, the constant speculation will continue.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, St. Louis Rams
18 Responses to “Brian Schottenheimer unfazed by head coaching speculation”
  1. larrydavidstern says: Dec 21, 2012 11:51 AM

Why would any team hire this guy!? What has he done to deserve a head gig?

2. wewantmoretebowandfavrearticles says: Dec 21, 2012 11:57 AM

Anyone who can make Mark Sanchez look like an NFL quarterback deserves consideration for head coaching openings.

3. maxl49 says: Dec 21, 2012 11:58 AM

So 18 pts per game and making Sam Bradford look like a bust = head coaching job ?? I might send my resume too …

4. jpb12 says: Dec 21, 2012 12:19 PM

Waiting for Jets job to open up no doubt.

5. snikerbotloot says: Dec 21, 2012 12:37 PM

I remember last year how he was blamed for the JETS offense collapsing down the stretch.

Interesting he’s already back in the mix for a HC job though, didn’t think the RAMS offense was all that great this year. Just goes to show what a good last name will do for you.

6. howiefeltersnatch says: Dec 21, 2012 1:00 PM

Cleve-o?

7. howiefeltersnatch says: Dec 21, 2012 1:01 PM

Cleve-o? There’s a gleam men!

8. sbmcintosh36 says: Dec 21, 2012 1:08 PM

Yes same guy that was started Sanchez failures and got an interview with Jags in offseason….Its all about a name !!!!
    He’s a horrible coordinator and will be an even worse head coach he started the decline of Sanchez and Sparano has finished the job with their unamaginitive and predictable play calling they turned him into David Carr……

9. bigdan7885 says: Dec 21, 2012 1:18 PM

What the heck is a gleam anyway?

10. vcstriker16 says: Dec 21, 2012 1:25 PM

According to who?

I swear these analysts just throw out names because they assume it makes sense. I doubt he’s on the radar of any serious head coaching search.

11. rg3some says: Dec 21, 2012 2:16 PM

Hey if Romeo can land a head coaching job, this guy certainly will get a a shot…

12. christopher525 says: Dec 21, 2012 2:26 PM

Wonder when Jay Gruden takes over in Jacksonville…

13. northernwisc says: Dec 21, 2012 2:46 PM

I’m a fan of Jeff Fisher but the greatest coach in the NFL? Come on – this guys either needs a drug test or to back off on the butt kissing…… Good, maybe even great but certainly not the greatest.

14. jwh8541 says: Dec 21, 2012 2:49 PM

Please someone hire this guy so we can try to get an OC with imagination.

15. coachbeck says: Dec 21, 2012 2:58 PM

Jay turned Jax down last year I think he stays one more year at Cincy unless someone throws him big money. But Jax makes sense for him though being a fla guy

16. ytownjoe says: Dec 21, 2012 3:32 PM

I wonder if the Browns have his phone number? His old man was the last good coach they had.

17. iced107 says: Dec 21, 2012 5:18 PM

considering what he’s done with this offense (injuries, WR talent, o-line,etc.) I can understand it. Bradford has been much better this season vs Last, and we’re averagging 5 or 6 more points per game than last year (Mcdaniels set a Hall of shame record)

18. khuxford says: Dec 22, 2012 5:44 PM

The Rams were crap last year because of injuries at WR and CB, so improvement at both sides and defense in particular help all around. As long as it ain’t in NY, I don’t care much, but the hiring GM signs his own pink slip.