Giants pass rush not inspiring fear like it used to

New Orleans Saints v New York Giants Getty Images

When the Giants have made playoff runs in recent years, they’ve always been able to count on their pass rush, the kind opponents feared.

Ravens coach John Harbaugh said he respected the Giants pass rush, but said he “wouldn’t use that word.”

He shouldn’t,” Giants defensive end Justin Tuck said, via Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News. “Not at all. There’s been years here it should have been feared. But this year, we haven’t had that year.”

The Giants have 32 sacks at the moment. Not awful (16th in the league), but hardly dynamic (they had 48 last year). The trio of Tuck, Osi Umenyiora and Jason Pierre-Paul have combined for just 15.5 sacks — or 15 fewer than last year.

Defensive coordinator Perry Fewell said he thinks there are several reasons the number is down, from teams paying extra attention to the edge rushers to opponents game-planning toward quick passes to give them fewer opportunities.

“I do believe this about them,” Fewell said. “They’re a proud unit. I think they will have success in the next couple of weeks. And I think you’ll see their numbers go up. . . .

“I think they’re frustrated a little bit mentally because of how [opponents] are taking their approach against them. I think it weighs heavily on them because they are a very proud defensive unit.”

It should weigh on them. Their ability to disrupt the passer has been central to their Super Bowl runs, and they’ve invested heavily in the position. So more is going to be expected of them now.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “Giants pass rush not inspiring fear like it used to”
  1. justintuckrule says: Dec 21, 2012 8:02 AM

Be nice if they changed it up once in awhile with a blitz

2. dwinsgames says: Dec 21, 2012 8:22 AM

Teams have been chipping and doubling JPP all year and his production has dropped as a result. Tuck is a shadow of his former self. And the fact that they can’t stop the run has definitely slowed the pass rush.

3. blueballz77 says: Dec 21, 2012 8:29 AM

Yup exactly what we want them to think I don’t care who you are nobody wants to face us cus WHEN not if we explode everyone loses history is proof

4. luckyarmpit says: Dec 21, 2012 8:52 AM

I don’t blame him. The Giants are done, unfortunately. They need too much help to get into the playoffs and the Redskins are too hot right now. I’ll never understand how they can crush an opponent one week and do the complete opposite the next week. So I’ll put my Giants flag back outside on Sunday, but I have a feeling I’ll be putting it away for good (until next season) a few hours later.

5. calmdownsir says: Dec 21, 2012 8:55 AM

Just another example of player reputation driving perception rather than the facts. Rings amplify this phenomena.

6. imbetterthanyou says: Dec 21, 2012 9:24 AM

Pass rush has been an absolute joke. Although maybe the backfield play was underestimated in years past. Webster has been a clown this season.

7. justintuckrule says: Dec 21, 2012 12:12 PM

We’re almost there. Just need a few more talking heads to say we’re done and that the pass rush is shot. This team works at maximum dumbskull when the bandwagon is at its lightest.

8. DonRSD says: Dec 21, 2012 12:26 PM

The ball comes out quicker because we don’t bump the receivers.
    The slant routes have been open all year.
    Bump the receivers and give that dline an extra 1/2 second to make the QB move off his spot.

9. manningbowl88 says: Dec 21, 2012 12:36 PM

@justintuckrule.. its sad that as a professional athlete NYG always needs to be getting talked down to to get going then they turn around n say well noone believed in us, we wanted to prove ppl wrong.. they all sound like highschoolers proving there teacher wrong they cant get the trade they said theyd get lol as a NYG fans its annoying.

point is JPP gets doubled every play almost tuck doesnt do anything 1-1.. having watched him play his whole career i can tell u tuck seems to have lost something whether its physical or mental idk bec the fact is tuck is nowhere near playing to his potental.

im sick of this me against the world stuff..do what ur paid millions to do and thats sack the qb and win games and leave all that highschool stuff back in highschool

10. justintuckrule says: Dec 21, 2012 1:03 PM

@Don – you’re totally right. Nothing bugs me more than watching our DBs play 10 yds off the WRs.

11. justintuckrule says: Dec 21, 2012 2:40 PM

@manningbowl – I couldn’t agree with you more. Its maddening watching this team go through ups and downs. Conventional wisdom is that since they are paid millions, there is no excuse not to play at 100% every minute of every game. Unfortunately, there is that human element on this team that it only plays balls out when the doubters are in full force and when their back is up against the wall.

Although our team has this weird affliction, I guess I wouldn’t have it any other way. During the Eli era, the Giants have given us some of the greatest sports moments that any of us could have ever possibly hoped for. I wouldn’t trade one unspeakable regular season loss at home to the Seahawks over what this team has accomplished. If our identity is this weird enigma, I have learned to embrace it and just go along for the ride. Sure, I’ve probably lost a good 10 years off my life due to heart stress but c’mon. Has any team in their entire histories had a fraction of the historical wins we’ve had in just 5 years? Don’t you think Browns’ fans wouldn’t agree to 50 more years of futility if it meant winning one conference championship on the road in a completely unwinnable environment. I guess what I’m saying is is that the Giants have spoiled us. For that…they can do no wrong in my eyes.

12. Mr. Wright 212 says: Dec 21, 2012 3:27 PM

ADJUST. Stop taking wide angles all the time (Osi), stay in your rushing lane against the run (JP), and… well, just show that you’re even on the field (Tuck), maybe that would help.

Fewell needs to blitz more effectively. Everyone knew the book on Atlanta before that game, and the Falcons knew you were going to blitz up the middle (never got there, despite sending two guys on a few occasions). Mix it up. You can’t just sit back and rely on the pass rush when they’re not getting there, and allowing average QBs like Ryan the extra time he needs to get someone open downfield. We have enough secondary coverage issues as is. Our LBs are already toothless enough because of scheme, so send them more frequently, goodness.

13. Mr. Wright 212 says: Dec 21, 2012 3:28 PM

luckyarmpit says: Dec 21, 2012 8:52 AM

————

They don’t need any “help”, doofus. Win both and they’re in.

14. justintuckrule says: Dec 21, 2012 3:40 PM

Something that nobody has mentioned is that the Giants will greatly benefit from the late start. For the most part, they’ll know exactly what their fate is before they take the field. The only team worth mentioning that plays at the same time is the Bears and they have pretty much a guaranteed win vs. the Cards.

I guess the Giants’ fans should be rooting for both Dallas and Washington. If both win, the Giants’ backs will basically be right up against the wall.

15. Mr. Wright 212 says: Dec 21, 2012 3:53 PM

justintuckrule says: Dec 21, 2012 3:40 PM

—————

It does bear mentioning. The 1 PM start on the road possibly had something to do with their malaise last week. Knowing the outcomes of both Washington and Dallas’ games at 4:30 kickoff could inspire them (although again, we are sick and tired of them only playing when stakes are such).