Per Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, Sanchez will serve as the No. 2 quarterback on Sunday against the Chargers, behind new starter/previously consistently inactive option Greg McElroy. Tebow, in turn, will be No. 3. Which possibly means he won’t even dress for the game.
Coach Rex Ryan consistently has declined to comment on the identity of Sunday’s backup. Most recently, Ryan dodged the question at a Friday press conference.
“I’m not going to make that announcement now because quite honestly, it’s going to be a coach’s decision and I’ll go ahead and make that decision later,” Ryan said. ”I’ve said there’s a possibility all three guys will be [active], there’s a possibility two will be [active] and I’m not going to make that decision just yet.”
The Jets, as we’ve reported, intend to explore all options with Sanchez in the offseason, Mehta has reported that the options will include an attempt to trade Sanchez. Some believe that, in the end, the Jets will have to keep Sanchez and his $8.25 million guaranteed salary.
These are issues about which Sanchez currently isn’t thinking. Or, at a minimum, about which he says he isn’t thinking.
“I haven’t really thought about it, I’m focused on this game and the game next week and then we’ll assess all that stuff at a later date,” Sanchez said Friday.
That’s easy for him to say. He knows that, no matter what, he’ll earn at least $8.25 million in 2013.