Trent Williams tries to move past his positive drug tests

Williams Getty Images

Last December, Redskins tackle Trent Williams and tight end Fred Davis were suspended four games each for their most recent violations of the league’s substance-abuse policy.  Unlike the steroids policy, which metes out a four-game suspension for a first offense, a four-game suspension occurs only after multiple failed tests or missed tests or other violations.

A year later, Williams explains that he doesn’t want his career to be defined by his failed drug tests.

“I bust my butt all offseason with that on my mind, and it fueled my fire a lot of days,” Williams said, via the Associated Press.  “And to be able to come out and perform with the best in the league and be noted as a Pro Bowl guy, it’d just mean that all my hard work, it just wasn’t [whistling] in the wind.  That accolade would just kind of let people know how far I’ve come and how far I’m matured and the type of player I’ve become.  That’s what I really want to be known for.

“I don’t want to be known for the guy who failed multiple drug tests.  That is me, in a sense.  It did happen.  I embrace that wholeheartedly.  That happened, but I have an opportunity to change it, and that’s what I want to do.”

In Williams’ case, the key word is “multiple.”  We reported last year that Williams had tested positive 10 times in September and October of 2011.  As we explained at the time, the rash of positives likely had something to do with the inability of players to have access to the NFL’s treatment program during the lockout.

Since last December, Williams has been clean.  In the future, the only time he wants “multiple” to be associated with his name will be in connection with Pro Bowl berths.

Permalink 6 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
6 Responses to “Trent Williams tries to move past his positive drug tests”
  1. surferbum01 says: Dec 21, 2012 1:13 PM

……by taking more drugs.

2. skinsfan28 says: Dec 21, 2012 1:14 PM

Trent has been shutting guys down for years and really isn’t getting the respect he is due. Glad to see he has put his troubles behind him and busting his butt to get better! It is showing and hopefully RG3 can help put some light on a great talent!

3. RussianBreadMaker says: Dec 21, 2012 1:22 PM

Call ESPN customer support 1-888-549-3776 and complain about Rob Parker only bejng suspended for 30 days. It’s an outrage that he didn’t lose his job after such racist comments directed at a kid that’s trying to do everything right!

4. popnwave says: Dec 21, 2012 2:11 PM

Trying to catch up here.. What did Williams test positive for anyway?

5. jwreck says: Dec 21, 2012 2:43 PM

popnwave says: Dec 21, 2012 2:11 PM

Trying to catch up here.. What did Williams test positive for anyway?
    _______
    Pot.
    ______
    skinsfan28 says: Dec 21, 2012 1:14 PM

_______
    Agreed, but “year” moreso than “years”. He was pretty underwhelming for his first two seasons, almost like there was something in his system making him slow, sluggish, and lazy…

This year, Trent has simply exploded however. For those who are unaware, Williams has allowed three sacks on the season, stonewalling Ware, Cole, Allen, and JPP (in other words, the best pass rushers in the league minus JJ Watt,Aldon Smith, and Brian Orakpo). To top it off, on two of those three sacks, Williams actually pulled inside, leaving Evan Royster and Logan Paulsen to block “his man”: Jared Allen and Jason Pierre-Paul, respectively. In other words, Trent has personally allowed one sack all season, and should have cemented himself as one of the top three left tackles in the league (in that sense, it’s actually kind of a shame that Griffin is playing so well, because in the wake of RGIII, the Washington O-line has totally flown under the radar).

6. burnzido says: Dec 21, 2012 10:37 PM