Ray Lewis eager to return, has a good chance to play vs. Giants

New England Patriots v Baltimore Ravens Getty Images

Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis is eager to play on Sunday against the Giants, and the team thinks there’s a good chance that doctors will give him the final clearance today.

“Oh yeah, I wanted to play last Sunday against Denver,” Lewis told the Ravens’ website. “But, the docs said, ‘No.’ As soon as they open the door, I’m walking through it.”

The Baltimore Sun reports that there’s a good chance Lewis will play. The Ravens will need to activate him from short-term injured reserve, where he has been since suffering a torn triceps in Week Six, to the 53-man roster by 4 p.m. today in order for him to play on Sunday.

Lewis is chomping at the bit to get back on the field and says he’s been miserable as a spectator.

“When I was first injured and had surgery, the docs and trainers wanted me to rest. I went to my home in Florida. I had to watch some of our games on TV,” Lewis said. “Terrible. The first one I watched was the Houston game. I was yelling at everyone. I had to go to a room and watch by myself. I was the fan no one wanted to sit around. I was yelling at position groups, individuals. I was furious. When the game got out of hand, I was like, ‘Just man up. Hit someone in the mouth. Let them know you’re not giving up and that there will be a next time.’”

The Ravens could use some of that energy on Sunday against the Giants.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
19 Responses to “Ray Lewis eager to return, has a good chance to play vs. Giants”
  1. gorwr12 says: Dec 22, 2012 7:43 AM

Hurry back Ray…the team needs your leadership in a bad way. Harbaugh is lost without you. Baltimore needs to see you dance at least one more time…

2. ravensallday2012 says: Dec 22, 2012 7:58 AM

I don’t care if You hate or love this man. U have to respect him. If u say otherwise u are just lying to yourself

3. lenbias34pt says: Dec 22, 2012 8:05 AM

Only the most ignorant of fans think 52 is missed.
    He gets swallowed by blockers as many LB’s do, but what seperates 52 is his shocking lack of speed. Clearly a first ballot HOF player, but that was long ago.

The Ravens hopes are tied to the health of Yanda, Pollard, Ellerbee, Suggs and Gnata. If they are all 100 % the Ravens can beat anyone.
    Believe it.

4. raybguilty says: Dec 22, 2012 8:10 AM

Sweet. Chalk up another loss for the Rave-hens.
    If Ray actually starts, it will be easy pickins over the middle for Eli.
    Without Ray: giants 27-17
    With Ray: giants 34-17

5. baltimorept says: Dec 22, 2012 8:29 AM

Respect!!
    Can’t wait to see you dancing and then hitting people in the mouth on Sunday….
    AFCN Champs again
    Lets get healthy for a playoff run

6. lawyermalloy says: Dec 22, 2012 8:41 AM

I love this guy and respect this guy but his playing will have zero impact on a defense that simply doesn’t have it this year.

7. gsomatt says: Dec 22, 2012 8:46 AM

oops…. typed too fast. “here’s” not hears.

8. Nofoolnodrool says: Dec 22, 2012 9:10 AM

Yawn……next story…

9. istateyourname says: Dec 22, 2012 9:17 AM

Let him take a stab at it, what could it hurt?

10. DonRSD says: Dec 22, 2012 9:25 AM

I love the passion Ray has.
    Too bad you’re playing Elijah after a loss :)
    GO BIG BLUE!!!

11. bengalskuta82 says: Dec 22, 2012 9:44 AM

Love Ray..Can’t imagine what life at M&T Stadium will be like when he’s gone..Good luck this weekend..

12. steelersownyou says: Dec 22, 2012 9:47 AM

Ray lewis has turned into a joke. He’s a punchline now, not a story. This is what happens to players who play past their prime. Ravens don’t know how to handle business. Steelers know how to do it. Cut Hines ward, James farrior, Aaron smith etc.. Ravens feel they owe this guy something. Steelers know when to say when. That is why we have 6 Lombardi’s and the rest of the NFL is just irrelevant. Steelers own you!!!

13. ravenmuscle says: Dec 22, 2012 10:24 AM

Eli Manning is a JOKE. He’s an interception machine and showed his TRUE talent last week when the Falcoons killed the JINTS 34 to zip.

14. stillers35 says: Dec 22, 2012 11:06 AM

steelersownyou- As a Steeler fan I beg you not to use James Farrior in your argument. Farrior remained the starter about 3 yrs too long. Hampton is currently overstaying his welcome too. I respect Ray for what he’s done ON the field but it’s his time to walk away. Go Steelers

15. geektriumvirate says: Dec 22, 2012 11:25 AM

not to mention pitt is still hanging on to Larry Foote….

16. baltimorept says: Dec 22, 2012 11:44 AM

Are the steelers even relevant in the NFL these days?
    Cincy will wax them this week and then the demise continues….
    1 and done last year and just plain DONE this year
    Hahahaha…

17. joeytorontosucks says: Dec 22, 2012 12:05 PM

Ravens need anything positive in the next 2 games going into the wildcard

18. pdx100 says: Dec 22, 2012 12:14 PM

I think Ray is going to murder the Giants on Sunday. Or at the very least, be an accomplice.

19. kev86 says: Dec 23, 2012 8:52 AM

Washed up. Hang em up Ray.