Cam Newton apologizes for bumping Jerome Boger

Oakland Raiders v Carolina Panthers Getty Images

Panthers quarterback Cam Newton was involved in a couple of controversial plays during Sunday’s win over the Raiders.

Newton bumped referee Jerome Boger while getting up from being hit and arguing that there should have been a penalty on the Raiders on a fourth quarter play. Newton was flagged 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct and, by rule, could have been ejected for making contact with an official.

Joseph Person of the Charlotte Observer reports that Newton apologized for the incident after the game and said he was caught up in the heat of the moment. Newton said he apologized to Boger on the field as well.

Earlier in the game, it appeared he kicked Raiders defensive tackle Tommy Kelly while trying to get off the pile at the end of a play. Newton also addressed that play following the 17-6 win.

“I realize it looked like I kicked him, but I was just trying to get up as fast as I can to get to the next play,” Newton said, via Paul Gutierrez of CSNBayArea.com.

Newton will likely be fined for bumping Bolger, a rare black mark on what’s been a good run of play for Newton in the last few weeks.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
31 Responses to “Cam Newton apologizes for bumping Jerome Boger”
  1. purpblooded says: Dec 23, 2012 6:28 PM

The center tor the Cardnals has some UGLY tats!

2. aldavisisthenfl says: Dec 23, 2012 6:28 PM

like spoiled child…..

3. g35phin says: Dec 23, 2012 6:30 PM

Cam texts Suh “Bro help me what should I say”
    Suh replies “Just say it looked like it”

4. randallflagg52 says: Dec 23, 2012 6:33 PM

Meanwhile Tom Brady is allowed to spike the ball into the ground while screaming like Bill Cowler at a ref and no action is taken…

5. jbaxt says: Dec 23, 2012 6:39 PM

Man I can’t wait for that little kid to grow up to be Cam’s mom’s favorite player.

6. themagicman1223 says: Dec 23, 2012 6:42 PM

I see people have a new target huh? Stop hating on the guy he’s a very, very good player and will be a star whether you like it or not.

7. profootballwalk says: Dec 23, 2012 6:42 PM

randallflagg52 says: Dec 23, 2012 6:33 PM

****************************************

Dry your tears, Mommy will give you a dolly.

8. blainegabbert says: Dec 23, 2012 6:43 PM

Oh come on, the man’s name is Jerome Boger.

9. melikefootball says: Dec 23, 2012 6:44 PM

Cam should have been removed from game. He may have an Uncle that plays in Detroit with some of his play. Time for a big fine and deserving.

10. FinFan68 says: Dec 23, 2012 6:45 PM

Any intentional contact with an official during a game is an auto DQ. That ought to ensure “stars” as well. No excuses.

11. themagicman1223 says: Dec 23, 2012 6:46 PM

Dry your tears, Mommy will give you a dolly.
    —————————————————-
    You’re such an idiot.

12. kegowhisky says: Dec 23, 2012 6:47 PM

Ndamakong Newton…

13. raiderapologist says: Dec 23, 2012 6:50 PM

———–
    It looked like Newton kicked Kelly because he did. He should just own it.

14. omegaichiban says: Dec 23, 2012 6:53 PM

I always try to get up off the ground quickly by kicking someone I’m mad at and not using my hands to you know push myself up…?

15. daknight93 says: Dec 23, 2012 7:12 PM

Never touch the Ref Cam! no excuse if you were caught up in the moment..expect a huge fine from league office.

16. dionoil says: Dec 23, 2012 7:13 PM

People see everything this guy does in worst possible light. Probably says more about you than him.

17. desertrace21 says: Dec 23, 2012 7:19 PM

It also looked like Cam stole that laptop in college….

18. NabbyNab says: Dec 23, 2012 7:21 PM

Yeah, next play was a 4th down. Was he gonna punt it?

19. panthers34 says: Dec 23, 2012 7:24 PM

The Raiders have admitted after the game they were trying to knock Newton out as retaliation for the Hardy hit on Palmer. If your going to toss qb’s then you better toss ALL of them. Sanchez kicked a guy on MNF and no one said boo about it.

20. captainspangled says: Dec 23, 2012 7:34 PM

I’m sure they’ll be no mention of the Raiders admitting they were intentionally taking cheap shots on Newton.

But by all means don’t let the facts get in the way of your good story I mean it’s more like $cam Newton amirite or amirite?!?!? Rite? Haha! Gotcha Cam! Eat that!

21. rjkilla says: Dec 23, 2012 7:34 PM

majority of you didn’t even watch the game so your opinion doesn’t matter. those who did saw a lot of dirty play goin on from both sides. it’s football it happens stop crying

22. nomoreseasontix says: Dec 23, 2012 7:37 PM

If he’s not fined for the kick, I’ll…
    Well I’ll think it’s lame.
    It was blatantly a kick. Nothing ambiguous about it.
    Right in front of an official, as well.

Unless they flagged Kelly for trying to headbutt Newton’s foot….

23. NabbyNab says: Dec 23, 2012 7:47 PM

No Raider has said they were intentionally trying to knock out Cam. Stop trying to make excuses for your guy when he acts like a petulant child.

24. mullman76 says: Dec 23, 2012 7:56 PM

@panther34: The hit on Palmer was malicious. The defender dropped his head and used his helmet to spear Palmer in the back. There were some questionable calls in the game, this was not one of them.

Also, Cam acted like a petulant child a few times during the game. In the 1st qtr, BEFORE the Palmer hit, Cam shoved #56 Burris off of him after a routine tackle. The tone was set then.

Cam is the current spoiled child of the league and he is certainly acting like it.

25. rjkilla says: Dec 23, 2012 8:13 PM

tommy kelly admitting to trying to intentionally hurt cam pretty much sums up why cam reacted the way he did. good on cam for not taking it lying down.

26. icewalker946 says: Dec 23, 2012 8:18 PM

I remember Steve Tasker bumped an official in his last NFL game. It was a heat-of-the-moment gaff and he was ejected.

Cam Newton should have been ejected as well. Either for this one or the kick with his spikes.

27. panthers34 says: Dec 23, 2012 8:19 PM

Raiders were “playing to the echo of the whistle” and he was hot. No big deal.

28. mrmidevil says: Dec 24, 2012 1:51 AM

Guy is over rated and cant handle himself on or off the field.

29. ronaldjones says: Dec 24, 2012 3:13 AM

Hard to say anything is a “rare black mark” for a loser like Newton who has such a checkered past (including a laptop theft at U of Florida). Still, the NFL referees have been so atrocious lately that many have come to deserve retributive physical violence from the players. I commend Cam Newton in this regard

30. joetoronto says: Dec 24, 2012 4:32 AM

FinFan68 says:
    Dec 23, 2012 6:45 PM
    **************************************************
    Kicking a player is an ejection too, yet he didn’t get ejected for either one.

What kills me is that there was an official so close to the kick that he could have been hit too, and the guy was watching it all the way.

SMH.

Newton needs to grow up, fast.

31. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Dec 24, 2012 12:14 PM

I watched it and Cam did kick Boger however I thought Boger was holding on to Cam’s legs a little longer than neccesary. Both players had some fault here and it probably should have been off setting penalties.

BTW one of the worse officiated games you will ever see in the NFL. Made the replacement refs look awesome!