Mariucci has interest in the Chargers

Mooch AP

With San Diego moving closer to what G.M. A.J. Smith called in October a “new era of Chargers football,” a guy who was part of the old era of 49ers and Lions football is interested.

Peter King of Sports Illustrated reported during Football Night in America that Steve Mariucci is interested in coaching the Chargers, if the Chargers are interested in him.

Mariucci has been employed as an analyst with NFL Network since being fired by the Lions after the 2005 season.  From time to time his name has surfaced in coaching scuttlebutt, but he has not yet shown any real interest in returning to the game.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers, San Francisco 49ers, Top Stories
32 Responses to “Mariucci has interest in the Chargers”
  1. tfbuckfutter says: Dec 23, 2012 7:19 PM

I also have interest in coaching the Chargers.

I am just putting it out there.

2. purpblooded says: Dec 23, 2012 7:22 PM

You can’t really blame him for not doing well in Detroit, that team is cursed. Is he a Yooper?

3. jakec4 says: Dec 23, 2012 7:23 PM

Probably need the GM first. Unless you’re Daniel Snyder.

4. roastmeforbeingacardsfan says: Dec 23, 2012 7:24 PM

So. I have interest in coaching the texans. Doesn’t mean anything.

5. bringbackkosar says: Dec 23, 2012 7:25 PM

fired by the Lions, what a great entry on a coaching resume

6. 3yardsndust says: Dec 23, 2012 7:28 PM

He seems like a nice guy, but his hyper schtick on NFL Network wears thin.

Hard to believe A.J. Smith would still be around to hire anybody. Smith is a prime reason why the Chargers suck so bad. They really need to clean house in San Diego.

7. eigglesnosuperbowls says: Dec 23, 2012 7:28 PM

But isn’t Andy Reid the best coach to ever walk the sidelines its his job to turn down !

8. trojanwarrior007 says: Dec 23, 2012 7:31 PM

he has a better show at coaching Cal

9. nomoreseasontix says: Dec 23, 2012 7:33 PM

I like the guy.
    Got smoked in SF after having a good year; Got saddled with a bad team with the Millen lions.

But, I’m not sure any of the hot on-air ex coaches really want a coaching gig.
    It’s better to be the legend no team can get than to have to actually do it.

Gruden, I’m looking at you…

10. brenenostler says: Dec 23, 2012 7:34 PM

Too bad Andy Reid will be there next year.

11. phillyphever says: Dec 23, 2012 7:45 PM

Eh, I doubt it will happen. He’s better off on TV than back on the sidelines (same I can say for Gruden and Cowher).

12. ambitoos says: Dec 23, 2012 7:46 PM

If the Chargers had a better offensive line this year we would have done much better. Who knows, we could have been an 8 and 8 team. seigh.

13. dalucks says: Dec 23, 2012 7:48 PM

As a Texan fan, I understand the Chargers want to fire Norv on “Pink Slip Monday” and I am cool with that.
    However, I hope the Texans hire Norv as the offensive coordinator and let him call the plays on gameday. The Texans cannot win big games with the ultra conservative playcalling of Gary Kubiak.
    Good luck though San Diego on your coaching search. Norv is a better offensive coordinator than head coach.

14. tinbender2000 says: Dec 23, 2012 7:49 PM

Any coach that would take that job without insisting AJ goes just failed the first test.

15. firejerry says: Dec 23, 2012 8:00 PM

1. Perhaps he could team up again with Millen.
    2. He might be interested in Coaching again because he needs the money…he did not coach for several years because the Lions were paying him something like $5m per year.
    3. I recall that he was “too busy” to talk to his starting QB (Harrington) because he had to get to makeup for a television comerical he was doing for extra $$$$$—–that’s some head coach!!!!
    4.He could not adapt his offensive system to the players in Detroit, so he just planned on losing.
    5. If my memory serves me right he acquired a great team with ower that spent lavishly on players with the 49ers and guided them to mostly 2nd and third place finishes—-that is why he got fires in SF.

16. realdealsteel says: Dec 23, 2012 8:08 PM

there are going to be a lot of jobs available.

17. kenorv says: Dec 23, 2012 8:09 PM

Is Mooch really an upgrade over Norv? I mean heck, why not Mike Martz. At least he led a team to the Super Bowl. Or Brian Billick while we’re at it. At least he won a Super Bowl.

18. strokeytheclown says: Dec 23, 2012 8:11 PM

Seems like he has no real confidence in himself. If he wanted a job, he would have been actively searching for a job. It isn’t just going to fall into your lap.

19. jayesix says: Dec 23, 2012 8:12 PM

Mariucci willing to coach in California? Shocker. Actually not. His wife is the tail wagging that dog.

20. pacodawg says: Dec 23, 2012 8:22 PM

I interested in them too if there interested in me. Really petey?

21. jeffw says: Dec 23, 2012 8:25 PM

I think it is Rex Ryan to San Diego! Just a hunch…

22. dannymac17 says: Dec 23, 2012 8:42 PM

might as well throw my hat into the ring.

23. lennydpocketqb says: Dec 23, 2012 8:43 PM

I too would like to throw my hat in the ring for the Chargers GM or Head Coaching position.

24. mystereo says: Dec 23, 2012 8:54 PM

Mooch has apparently forgotten that no former Detroit head coach in the last 30 years has ever been a head coach since.

25. source7769 says: Dec 23, 2012 9:12 PM

mike martz got to a super bowl cuz dick vermeil goofed and retired too soon and he has stated that already

26. silverhornet says: Dec 23, 2012 9:17 PM

I’d like to announce that I’m interested in any coaching or GM gig at the professional level except for with the New York Jets. I’m not taking on that mess under any circumstances.

27. boyshole25 says: Dec 23, 2012 9:40 PM

He never said that Peter king is a hack

28. tarmacjerry says: Dec 23, 2012 9:51 PM

I don’t know what this guy did but NO ONE is interested in him.

29. mystereo says: Dec 24, 2012 12:32 AM

From 1978 to 2008, no former Detroit Lions head coach has ever coached another NFL team after leaving Detroit:
    - Monte Clark
    - Darryl Rogers
    - Wayne Fontes
    - Bobby Ross
    - Gary Moeller
    - Marty Mornhinweg
    - Steve Mariucci
    - Dick Jauron
    - Rod Marinelli

Don’t hold your breath, Mooch.

30. nflguru12 says: Dec 24, 2012 1:19 AM

He’s nothing but a male cheerleader.

31. konichiwabtches says: Dec 24, 2012 2:25 AM

He knows the chargers have no problem hiring a coach who’s already been fired twice before. Of course he’s interested

32. rickmcpherson says: Dec 24, 2012 12:09 PM

mystereo says: Dec 24, 2012 12:32 AM

- Monte Clark
    - Darryl Rogers
    - Wayne Fontes
    - Bobby Ross
    - Gary Moeller
    - Marty Mornhinweg
    - Steve Mariucci
    - Dick Jauron
    - Rod Marinelli

Don’t hold your breath, Mooch.
    ——————————————

While Jauron was only the interim head coach in Detroit, he DID land another head job afterwards. He had a miserable stint in Buffalo that ended with him being fired mid-season into his (I think) third year.