Brandon Weeden, Trent Richardson not ruled out for Sunday

Cleveland Browns v Denver Broncos Getty Images

The Browns will put the cap on another losing season against the Steelers in Week 17 and they aren’t sure if their two first-round picks from April will be on the field to help them do it.

Coach Pat Shurmur said Monday that he isn’t ruling quarterback Brandon Weeden or running back Trent Richardson out for the season finale after both of them suffered injuries in Sunday’s 34-12 loss to the Broncos. Weeden hurt his shoulder, forcing him out of the game and Colt McCoy into it. Shurmur said it was a sprain and he said Richardson hurt, but did not break, his ankle.

“We’re still evaluating those injuries. In the case of Trent, it involved his ankle. The X-rays didn’t show a break, but we haven’t finished up the evaluation,” Shurmur said, via Marla Ridenour of the Akron Beacon-Journal. “He was actually feeling better today. So we’ll see how that goes.”

Shurmur, who could be coaching the final game of his Browns tenure when they face the Steelers, said he wasn’t inclined to rest Richardson if there was a chance he could play.

“I want to see if he can come back and play. I think it’s important if guys are physically able to play they play. That’s the competitive nature of this game,” Shurmur said.

With the competitive part of the Browns season over, we wonder if anyone guaranteed to stick around might have a different impression when it comes to playing Richardson.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
7 Responses to “Brandon Weeden, Trent Richardson not ruled out for Sunday”
  1. lawful1 says: Dec 24, 2012 2:08 PM

Wont make much difference!

2. jerruhjones says: Dec 24, 2012 2:39 PM

It has to turn around for Cleveland soon, right? (I’m a life long fan, but on my last bit of hope)

3. frenzy95 says: Dec 24, 2012 2:48 PM

Weeden, just stay on the bench. You can’t make the necessary throws. You lock on to one receiver. You make the same mistakes week in and week out. You had Josh Gordon WIDE OPEN and not only did you not make the correct throw, you severely under threw the ball.

4. keepingitrealdumb says: Dec 24, 2012 2:50 PM

i guess jim brown was right about trent: “nothing special”

5. nsb220 says: Dec 24, 2012 3:13 PM

Lifelong Browns fan here.
    As much as I hate to say it,
    There always next year!
    There – I said it. That doesn’t make me feel any better.
    Merry Christmas.

6. dumbpollack says: Dec 24, 2012 3:26 PM

I wonder what the “big show” is doing right now? Counting his money and still trying to convince himself he did a good job for the Browns is my guess. Having all these rookie QB’s come in and succeed is hard to swallow when (thanks to the walrus) I have to watch Weeden and Colt every Sunday.

7. blockfortrent says: Dec 24, 2012 4:08 PM

Trent Richardson is exactly what the Browns need. If he wasn’t hindered by poor run blocking and a terribly inept coach all of you would be sucking his knee caps. Shurmur is accountable for Richardson’s injury. He had him in during garbage time. Holmgren and Shurmur should be ashamed for accepting their pay checks.