Jason Witten sets TE record in Cowboys loss

Jason Witten, Johnny Patrick AP

Cowboys tight end Jason Witten began his season with a lacerated spleen, and finished with a record.

But mostly, he’s glad he still has a chance at the postseason.

Witten caught his 103rd pass of the year in yesterday’s overtime loss to the Saints, breaking the single-season tight end record set by Tony Gonzalez (102) in 2004.

It’s hard to enjoy that,” Witten said, via Todd Archer of ESPNDallas.com. “Ten years playing obviously the goal is to get in position to try to compete for a championship, but it’s probably a little more sweet this year than any of the records just because of the way the season started for me and to feel like the bar gets raised higher and higher every year. To kind of answer that bell, it’s special. And nobody lost confidence in me and I didn’t lose confidence in myself. I’m sure it’s something I’ll look back on and say, ‘Boy, I’m glad I took that approach and it paid off for me.’

“It means a lot because there’s been so many great tight ends over the years that I’ve got respect for.”

Witten has one more chance to add to that record, next week against Washington, when they have a division title and a playoff berth on the line.

Permalink 6 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
6 Responses to “Jason Witten sets TE record in Cowboys loss”
  1. discountdoublecheck says: Dec 24, 2012 10:31 AM

I’ve always liked this guy. Even though he seems to be going in slow motion when he runs, all he does is produce and you never hear a thing from him. Class act.

2. bigjdve says: Dec 24, 2012 10:44 AM

It does look like Bryant is starting to play like a #1, which is good. I guess some tough love from Jones is what he needed.

It is a shame it comes to that BUT if it helps him be a man then good for them.

3. rgrossman2012 says: Dec 24, 2012 11:19 AM

Over the past 10 years , Jason Whiten is truly one the best overall football players in the game. Not your MVP, or Greatest ever , just a SOLID , overall great football player.

4. ragingmouse says: Dec 24, 2012 1:52 PM

Great football player hands down!

Mr reliable!

5. lemfax says: Dec 24, 2012 2:24 PM

I got one of his jersey a 2 years ago..

6. bluebongzilla says: Dec 24, 2012 8:06 PM

“While I am happy for Witten for breaking the record, what does it say about the receivers on the Cowboys that the top receiver is a TE? ”

Whatever it says, maybe it says the same thing about Julio Jones and Roddy White since Tony Gonzales has more catches than both. It’s not about what it says about the WR’s. It’s what it says about the TE’s.