Vick: “There’s tremendous upside” to starting

AP

Nick Foles’ broken hand means Michael Vick is going to be back in the starting lineup one more time for the Eagles in Week 17.

Vick was at a charity event Monday when he found out that he would go from not dressing against the Redskins to starting against the Giants. He said he was “elated” to get a chance to get back on the football field and said that he planned to “seize the moment” that’s fallen into his lap.

“It’s a good opportunity for me to go out there and grow as a player. You never know what could come out of this game,” Vick said, via Zach Berman of the Philadelphia Inquirer. “You never know what I could learn. You never know what I could accomplish. I could go out there and break a record. There’s tremendous upside.”

Vick’s not going to erase the bad of his season with a good game in Week 17, but it would leave a better image in the heads of NFL decision makers before his likely arrival on the open market come the offseason. He’s had big games against the Giants in the past and their defense has been smacked around in each of the last two weeks so it’s not the worst setting for him to make a positive impression.

Are we likely to see records? Probably not, but playing well would be enough for Vick.

61 responses to “Vick: “There’s tremendous upside” to starting

1. Way to state the obvious. What’s gonna be better is the annoucement after the game from Jeffrey Lurie that Andy will be returning. And I’m gonna spend the better part of the first 4 months of 2013 laughing at every single person in the media who have been indicating since October that he gets fired.

2. He’s probably going to tear it up out there. This is an audition for his next job and his next paycheck.. the Contract Year Syndrome boiled down to just 1 game. Should be fun to watch.

3. You have already had your “opportunity”…and you squandered it. In fact, you’ve been given many opportunities and as soon as you become comfortable in your status as the starter you get complacent, mentally lazy and revert back to your lack luster preparation. When you need to get it done you prepare hard…like when you got out of jail and needed to re-establish yourself again. You worked hard and prepared hard…and it showed. This year, and in fact, the vast majority of your pro career you simply don’t give it your full effort from a preparation standpoint. You are mentally lazy and mentally weak. You have no discipline. You have the physical tools to be phenomenal but you are a complete failure relative to what you could be. Nothing sadder that wasted talent.

4. I am a huge fan, but he has to get re-committed in the off-season, with the passion and tenacity he had for dog-fighting.

5. If Chip Kelly is hired, I could see Michael Vick as the Eagles starter next year. Would have to be on a pay cut, but the Eagles hire Kelly, I just can’t see him running an offense with Foles.

6. On his wish list to Santa is some team stupid enough to give him a starting job. What should be on his list is a brain and some common human decency.

7. “You never know what I could learn. You never know what I could accomplish. I could go out there and break a record. I could go out there, break some bones, and get guaranteed $3,000,000 from the Eagles organization. There’s tremendous upside.”

8. Couldn’t ask for a better game to start. The Giants have been horrible the last 2 weeks, and the pass rush is absolutely non-existent. They look to be merely playing out the string, even when they had something to play for. Giants have had horrible luck against Philly for the last 4 or 5 years anyway, so this one has a recipe for success for Vick.

9. He has given Eagles fans some very fun games and has gotten up from more vicious hits that anyone I’ve ever watched. I may not want him back next year but I hope he has a great game!

10. How come people assume Michael Vick needs to take a paycut at 15 million when he is still a better quarterback than Carson Palmer (15 million), Jay Cutler (13 million), Phillip Rivers (14 million), Matt Schaub (14 million), Ryan Fitzpatrick (12 million), Joe Flacco (soon to be 14 million),Matt Stafford (12 million), Sam Bradford (12 million) along with every quarterback on the Jets roster (12 million) and Cardinals roster (15 million)?
    Looking at the going rate of the NFL “franchise” quarterbacks who are not elite and will never be elite, 15 million for Michael Vick is a good deal especially if he has a good offensive line. Unfortunately in Philadelphia, Jeffery Luria would rather be 30 million under the cap instead of spending some money on the offensive line.
    If Vick needs to take a paycut then so does every quarterback on this list.

11. dalucks says:Dec 24, 2012 7:31 PM

Please stop. Vick isn’t that fast anymore. I know because I had to watch him the past 3 years. He turns the ball over like it’s part of his job description. No way he’s better than Schaub or Cutler right now. Plus both of those QB got their teams into the playoffs. I wanted Vick to play over Kolb and play well he did for that contract. Then it was poop. Poop on Andy, Poop on the offense, and Poop for the fans. Gimme Foles and another year of Andy please. With Kiffin to run the defense. Yessir…. Merry Christmas!

12. Yea, no playoffs for giants either. Vick is going to tear their D up. Pass rush has been week and the secondary is like Swiss cheese.

13. “You never know what I could learn. You never know what I could accomplish. I could go out there and break a record. ”

Great. Now he thinks he’s a Who in Whoville.

14. 7to10for6allday says:
    Dec 24, 2012 8:00 PM
    ———————————————————
    Oh gee. Look who crawled out of the woodwork. Guess your screen name doesn’t make much sense these days, does it? You’re going to have to come up with a new one for next year.

15. Vick just might start one more bidding war between all the teams with horrible QBs, and there’s a lot of them; Jets, Cardinals, Chiefs, Bills, Titans, Jaguars, Vikings, Raiders… could Vick get his THIRD $100 million contract?

16. @gallaghedj311

Matt Schaub and Jay Cutler are the starting quarterbacks on teams that have made the playoffs. As a Texan fan, I know that Matt Schaub is nothing special and definitely not elite. Also, it is not a guarantee the Bears make the playoffs this season.
    Neither quarterback leads their team as the defense of the Texans and Bears make everything happen for both of those teams. The backups could get those teams to the playoffs.

17. t16rich says:
    Dec 24, 2012 6:32 PM

————————–

Please no chip kelly. College coaches out to revolutionize the offensive side of the ball in the NFL rarely ever work out.

18. The media didn’t create speculation that Andy Reid would be fired after a bad season this year. Jeffrey Lurie did.

This is for the person who made the first response here.

Good luck Vick!

19. @gcsuk;

Actually, I will come up with a new name. Not sure what that has to do with the fact that the giants blow…..hey didn’t the eagles beat the giants already this year? And my name wouldn’t bother you unless u were a giants fan….oops

20. dalucks says:
    Dec 24, 2012 7:31 PM

=======================================

Daluck, the only thing Vick is better at doing than the 8 QB’s you list, is punishing dogs that are underachievring…Daluck, Vick is an underachiever, taking a 15 percent paycut for it is gift… those poor animals should have only faired so better.

21. Record broken??? I can’t believe Vick said that. What a loser! He may be “better” than a few other QB’s out there, but as far as being a total scumbag, he is definitely elite!!!

22. Well look on the bright side. You get to hold a clipboard. Although Vick doesn’t know what all those Xs Os and Lines are.

23. You do make a point sir. I misspoke regarding the bears. But at 32, losing a significant step in his game, and being injury prone, and with the added drama his name carries, there are other, cheaper options with far more upside than to pay him 15 million. He ain’t better than Flacco either. Good luck to your Texans.

24. The Dawg Killa is no longer NFL starting material. He has a terrible attitude and he’s getting old and broken down. He might have a good game here and there, but the hay days (big money) are over for him.

25. Of course he will ball out. There is money on the table here. It’s make it or break it for him now. This is the only time he plays well, when it’s time for a new contract. I just hope these goons don’t get fall back in love with him.

I think he could be a better quarterback behind a better offensive line, BUT I don’t think he is a great QB and he is on the down fall. Linebackers are faster than him now, still cannot read a thing out on the field. Good riddance if he leaves.

I also think Nick Foles would do better behind a better offensive line, but not sure he is the answer either.

Chip Kelly ’13. Run the rock.

26. @backindasaddle says…..

BINGO SIR. He did the same thing in atlanta! He half does everything. Just imagine what he could have been like if he put the time like manning’s, Brady, brees, etc. I have heard a lot of talk around here that Matt Ryan studies as much as Peyton Manning. Most outside of atl will find that laughable but I have heard it over and over from people with nothing to gain by saying it.

27. skiss68 says: Dec 24, 2012 11:27 PM

What is the record for most turnovers in a game anyways???
    =========================

Ask Sanchez.

28. frankly this is bad new for g-chicks. they could probably beat foles without much effort. but vick is a different story. vick will be possessed and the eagles will then say, “hey we got a chance.” and final outcome is no playoffs for little blue, which is a small xmas gift for eagles fans in a season otherwise overflowing with coal.

29. Too late. Last games are ignored by other teams’ scouts because you’re playing against B-teamers or Don’t-Carers. No one in their right mind will pay millions for a player who is only upright for four games per season. Which of course means that the Bills or Cards or Raid Duhs are preparing offers for No Longer Quick Vick.

30. fordmandalay says: Dec 24, 2012 8:48 PM
    … could Vick get his THIRD $100 million contract?
    ———————————————-
    WOW! That is one incredible delusion you’ve got going there. If any GM gives Vick a 50 mil contract, they should be fired immediately. I doubt he even get a multi year contract.

31. 7to10for6allday says:
    Dec 24, 2012 9:17 PM
    @gcsuk;

————————————————————

Yes, I am a Giants fan. You know, that team that ISN’T in last place in the NFC East this year? You know, that team that still has (admittedly slim to none) a CHANCE at a playoff berth this year? You know, that team that WASN’T eliminated by Week 10?

32. All of you people that want Andy Reid gone are going to miss him alot when he is gone and the Eagles finish in the bottom half of the league every year.

33. The Eagles ought make Didinger the head coach and GM he knows everything about winning football or so he thinks.

34. So let me get this straight. Eagles fans want Chip Kelly to replace Andy Reid. Oh yeah that’s going to work.

Looking forward to more disgruntled Eagles fans meltdowns next year. Like that fat “EDP” cat who cusses the eagles out on YouTube every week.

35. The Eagles now have a lock on the 4th pick in the draft. I hate to route against my Birds but, a loss is best in the big picture. That 4th pick can be traded down or what ever. We have to look at the big picture starting 2013. Let’s hope Vic is rusty.