Giants have some big decisions this offseason

Osi Umenyiora, Justin Tuck AP

While “wholesale changes” as pending free agent defensive end Osi Umenyiora suggested aren’t consistent with the Giants’ style, there are a number of big decisions general manager Jerry Reese is going to have to make.

Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News took a look at a number of key players looking at pay cuts or cuts, in addition to those needing big raises.

Along with Umenyiora, it may also be time to make a decision on veteran defensive end Justin Tuck, who will turn 30 next year, when he’s due to make $4.5 million. He has just 8.0 sacks the last two seasons combined, and they will have to decide how much leadership is worth.

Cornerback Corey Webster could also be on the bubble, as he hasn’t played to the level of his $7 million they owe him next year.

The need to get younger could also claim veteran offensive lineman David Diehl, who is due $4.1 million next year, when he’ll turn 33.

They’re going to have to prune the tree somewhere, because talks to extend Victor Cruz have already started, and Hakeem Nicks’ contract situation is looming.

They also have a substantial list of their own free agents to deal with which could make it a busier offseason than usual for the G-Men, when decisions about the direction of the franchise have to be made.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
25 Responses to “Giants have some big decisions this offseason”
  1. trbowman says: Dec 26, 2012 8:22 AM

People are talking like their season is over, but I don’t see them as huge longshots.

Vikes, Cowboys and Bears are all in very losable games. They just gotta handle their business and cross their fingers.

2. trbowman says: Dec 26, 2012 8:23 AM

Webster is washed up. Osi is a team cancer. It took a Super Bowl run for him to finally shut his yap. Those two ought to be gone

3. bigbluenationdb says: Dec 26, 2012 8:50 AM

As a Giants fan I think it is time to clean house with both coaches and players. Coughlin has brought us two super bowls and I am greatly appreciative of that but if we are looking at making serious roster moves we need to go ahead and make a coaching move also.

If not we will be in the same position after next year when Coughlins contract expires. If the Giants are going to make serious roster moves they need to go ahead and get a coach that will be there longer then a year so we don’t have to go through a couple years of roster changes.

Go ahead and retool next year and hopefully open a window of three/four years to make another Super Bowl run with Eli.

4. kappy32 says: Dec 26, 2012 9:02 AM

They’ll be fine, they always are. I agree with Tuck; I love him as a leader, but the production isn’t there. He also sat out the biggest game of the year with back spasms. Really? They need an upgrade at the CB position, they need to part ways with Bradshaw & they need to sure up the WR2 spot so Cruz can go back to the slot. Losing Manningham was bigger than I ever expected it to be. They’ll be fine next year, though. Jerry Reese always seems to make the right moves.

5. manuich1 says: Dec 26, 2012 9:11 AM

This team needs a solid DT and MLB very badly. They might have something in Herzliech but he needs more playing time. What they should do is package a deal to send Justin Tuck, Corey Webster and Ahmad Bradshaw to the Lions for Ndamukong Suh. Make it happen Reese. The Lion need help at all 3 positions especially RB.

6. east96st says: Dec 26, 2012 9:46 AM

This is why it’s probably better that they miss the playoffs. A number of guys have gotten old in a hurry and it’s better for everyone involved if they are shown the door and the team gets younger and faster. I don’t know a single Giants fan that thinks this team, as configured right now, could go on a run through the playoffs and win out. Too many years of playing all their games on the road, fighting for the last playoff spot and the stresses both of those involve have taken a toll. A LOT of these guys have BIG contracts and NY needs the cap space. It’s time to thank them for their service and allow them to retire with dignity. I would hope that the Giants could find an assistant position coach spot for Tuck and keep him within the organization. But I don’t know anyone who is deluding themselves that Tuck has another Pro Bowl season in him. Sometimes, careers are shorter than the player or the fan would like. But to stay on top, you need to acknowledge when it’s time to move on.

7. cowboyhater says: Dec 26, 2012 10:04 AM

Maybe Mara can use some of that money he allowed the league to received from the cap penalty that was given to my skins, and the cowgirls to use to keep some of those players. That will help maintain his competitive balance in the NFC East. Karma Mara, karma……..

8. nananatman says: Dec 26, 2012 10:12 AM

Webster, Hosley, Osi, Diehl should by suitcases. Nicks needs a short term extension to find out if he can play a whole year well and healthy and hopefully Cruz will catch the ball again.

9. nygf says: Dec 26, 2012 10:16 AM

Oh no! How are they ever going to replace key Super Bowl winners like Plaxico Burress, Antonio Pierce, Michael Strahan, Steve Smith, Kevin Boss, Kawika Mitchell, Gibril Wilson and Amani Toomer with other guys capable of making another championship run within the next few years?

Oh, wait. Right. We’ve wrung our hands over the Giants before and they’ve stayed patient and largely competitive while other teams have fluctuated just as much, if not more. This is still a team that hasn’t had a losing season in almost a decade.

Disappointing season, but the coaches and front office still deserve the benefit of the doubt. Changes do need to be happen and I have no reason to doubt that the right ones will indeed be made. This might not be their year, and the division/conference will be tough again if not tougher next year. But they’ll be back.

10. scoonie97 says: Dec 26, 2012 10:25 AM

Washed up stars hitting the free market?

Unfortunately for Daniel Snyder his hands have been tied. Thanks Mara! You’ve forced one of the worst spenders in sports to become frugal.

11. luckyarmpit says: Dec 26, 2012 10:57 AM

Their season is over. It was over a few weeks ago when they went on their yearly end-of-the-season slide. I took my flag down a few weeks ago and didn’t bother putting it back up. I am a long-time Giants fan but I am ashamed to be one.

I said it before and got a lot of down-votes but I’ll say it again: Losing to a better team when you’ve played to the best of your abilities is one thing. But losing to a team you’re equal to or better than (such as the dysfunctional Ravens) because you just don’t care absolutly infuriates me and should infuriate all other Giants fans. C’mon guys, you saw it yourself on national television… did the Giants play like that was a must-win scenario? Heck no. They were sleepwalking throughout the entire game. When you get paid as much as you do for playing a GAME, you should be giving it 100% every single week. It’s no surprise the Ravens steamrolled over the Giants.

Suppose the Giants beat the Eagles and my some miracle all other teams (Cowboys, Vikes, Bears) lose and they squeak into the playoffs. What are they going to do? Get their butts kicked and go home. They don’t deserve to be in the playoffs. I hope they don’t get there – would rather see them lose to the Eagles and have their season be over.

12. cowboyhater says: Dec 26, 2012 12:01 PM

luckyarmpit….

You’re a Giants fan? Are you sure about that? You talk like a loser, and the Giants have been perennial winners for quite some time. The first season they have a down year, you jump ship. I’m sure that if by some weird chance they actually back into the playoffs, you will take your flag back out and cheer on your team. That’s what real fans do. If the Vikes, and Bears lose, I hope for some reason (don’t ask me why) that my skins lose to the cowgirls, just to keep your team out of the playoffs. Your organization doesn’t deserve to even sniff the playoffs, and I don’t care if I see the thumbs down from my earlier comment, this has been a year of bad karma for the giants, and their despicable owner trying to keep the skins organization down with that cap penalty, but as you can see, your little scheme didn’t work. The two teams who were penalized are playing for the NFC East. Interesting……..

13. luckyarmpit says: Dec 26, 2012 12:20 PM

@cowboyhater – Yes, I’m absolutely a Giants fan. I have been since I was a little kid. My two favorite teams are the Giants and whoever plays the Patriots… even if it’s division rivals like the ‘Skins or even the Cowboys.

I’m not “jumping ship” as you put it; I’m simply being realistic. The past few weeks, did they play like they were in must-win games? Not even close. They were just going through the motions, dead men walking, etc., whatever cliche fits best. I have no sympathy for anyone that doesn’t give it their best try. Did you give 100% but still lose because the other team was better? I’ll be the first person to pat you on the back and tell you that you did your best, and that’s good enough. But to get paid the ridiculous salaries that atheletes do and not do your best is just inexcusable. And that’s exactly what happened to the Giants to have them lose 5 of the last 7 games.

And this is far from the first season to where the Gaints have fallen apart in the latter half.

I could care less about being down-voted too… that’s nothing more than a popularity contest that means zero in my mind. I just find it funny when my comments are down-voted because I’m not being rah-rah for my team when they aren’t trying their hardest.

I’ll go ahead and say congrats to your ‘Skins… RG3 has really breathed much-needed life into that franchise. The Cowboys don’t have a chance Sunday night and I’m sure the ‘Skins will go far in the playoffs. And if they happen to meet the Patriots along the way, you know who I’ll be pulling for… :)

14. fdugrad says: Dec 26, 2012 1:00 PM

Even though it is New York, where life is rather fast-paced, I can’t believe anyone who seriously believes firing coach C. is ANY part of the plan! How many active coaches have two wins in The SB? Who is out there and available that has a comparable record? A large part of The Giants and their success is STABILITY, not reacting in knee-jerk fashion with staff positions. Talk about SHORT memory!!!

15. tiredofyoureferringtoateamaswe says: Dec 26, 2012 1:02 PM

I find it rather enjoyable watching the Big Mouth, Big Blue, G-Men implode, right along with their trash talking know-it-all fans.

16. kev86 says: Dec 26, 2012 1:17 PM

cowboyhater – The Mara family is good for football. Always has been. They have done a lot for the league. I do not expect you to agree.

17. kev86 says: Dec 26, 2012 1:20 PM

tiredofyoureferringtoateamaswe says:
    Dec 26, 2012 1:02 PM

Glad we can help you feel better about yourself and your team.

Kiss our rings.

18. bigblue88 says: Dec 26, 2012 1:49 PM

The team needs to get younger as age is starting to show. As it pains for me to say Eli has to take a hit somewhere here to. Two greats runs is all you have gotten from him. He gets a pass due to the rings way to much. I atually hope they lose this week for the lower draft pick for secondary help.

19. censoredagain says: Dec 26, 2012 4:09 PM

Some big changes certainly do need to be made, but anyone suggesting that Coughlin be fired is badly out of touch with reality. Like it or not, he has earned the right to decide when he’s done coaching this team. I can’t say the same for his coordinators, who will likely, and SADLY, still have their jobs next season, but Tom isn’t going anywhere until he retires, and I’m fine with that.

Cut the dead weight from the roster, grab a FA Olineman or two, and draft smart. The results will be good.

20. Mr. Wright 212 says: Dec 26, 2012 4:47 PM

luckyarmpit says: Dec 26, 2012 10:57 AM

————-

Except it ISN’T annual, Mr. Elias Sports Bureau.

21. Mr. Wright 212 says: Dec 26, 2012 4:50 PM

Skins and Cowboys fans need to realize that the decision to fine their teams for skirting the rules and effectively washing money by overloading those contracts signed in the uncapped year was nearly unanimously made by the rest of the owners, not unilaterally by Mara. Get over it. Your owners are tyrants, and paid for it.

22. cmb79 says: Dec 27, 2012 1:10 AM

I don’t think “wholesale changes” are needed, but there does need to be some shaking up.

The only two positions that I feel that the Giants are set at is at quarterback (naturally) and wide receiver. And maybe running back, but with Bradshaw’s constant health issues and Wilson’s inexperience, that position group is still more of a question mark than a sure thing.

This means that the draft feels bigger for the Giants than it has in recent years. I’m not sure how the cap situation sits for next year since I know they were up pretty tight against it this past off-season, so I don’t know if the “big splash” is the way to go. I’d rather get younger, because it really looks like some of these guys have gotten old in a relative hurry.

And anybody suggesting that they fire Coughlin is off their rockers. Even if they have quit on him (and I seriously doubt they would now), he deserves every right to leave on his own terms whenever that should be. If anybody gets canned, it’s likely Perry Fewell, who is only at fault because his side of the ball has been inexcusably awful this year.

23. Mr. Wright 212 says: Dec 27, 2012 2:48 AM

cmb79 says: Dec 27, 2012 1:10 AM

——————–

You were 100% spot on until the last sentence. Fewell does not have any speed on that side of the ball. Add in a banged up key cog in Phillips and a completely absent (aging quickly) front four and the pedestrian speed at linebacker can be carved to shreds by even average quarterbacks like Joe Flacco — who will revert to form when Geno and the boys get ahold of him Sunday — look great. Even if he blitzed more, what’s that going to do to stop the underneath passes? And who’s going to run those underneath passes down? Certainly not these below average speed linebackers we have. Reese has ignored shoring up that position since he took over for Accorsi. It is the only gripe I have with him over 99 whole hearted agreements with his and Ross’ scouting moves. But Gilbride is the one who should (but won’t, because Tom is more loyal to his offensive assistants, as has been proven with five different defensive coordinators, while Gilbride has either been the offensive coordinator [2006] or heavily involved in the offensive game planning since he got here), because his system is stale and he’s the one squandering actual Pro Bowl talent. Fewell has none other JP.

24. Mr. Wright 212 says: Dec 27, 2012 3:09 AM

In other words, with the carryover cap money, and the extra money coming off the books from guys who almost certainly won’t be back (or will be restructuring with diminished roles — Tuck, Webster) and the Giants will have the cap space to make a very sizeable offer to a guy on both sides of the ball. Obviously, we all know one of those needs to be a right tackle. Brewer just isn’t ready yet, and we don’t even know if he will ever be able to play RT without someone waiting on the sidelines in an emergency in case he goes Winston Justice on us. But Snee is getting older also, and the backups can be groomed, much like Boothe turned into the best lineman of the group this year with coaching from Flaherty. Aside from Beatty’s penalties, he was fine this year. Baas wasn’t the abject failure that he was last year, but he’s not great either. However, there are never any centers worth drafting and rarely any to sign as free agents, so we may as well keep him. Snee is declining as rapidly as Tuck in my humble estimation.

The other big time free agent signing needs to be a linebacker in the Aldon Smith/Von Miller mode. We do not match up well with anyone in the NFC East. Period. Every one of those teams has someone — if not two — who can run right past everyone on the defense. We need someone who can both hold up the point and help set the edge, get stops for losses, and who can make impact plays on the quarterback and in intermediate coverage. Boley has lost two steps, man. Williams is finesse, but has the speed to do some of those things, but Blackburn isn’t going to cut it. He’s so smart that he is in position to make plays that he doesn’t have the speed or athletic ability to make without the smarts, but teams have killed us on crossing routes all year, and the lack of speed on the back seven is most evident in that situation. To have a guy like my boy Q, who can’t get separation from a tackling dummy, run right past everyone on the Giants’ secondary on Sunday flat out embarrasses me.

Rolle was never a burner, but he’s tenacious and knows where to be. Phillips has the most speed of anyone in the defensive backfield not named Hosley, but he can’t stay healthy. Amukamara was rounding into form JUST as he got hurt. Webster, by all our accounts, is finished. But there are a plethora of NFL-ready CBs coming out, so there’s no need to use big free agent money there.

Eli misses a QB coach. Every time he’s had one, he’s either improved off the year before, or excelled consistently. The minute they (Palmer, Sullivan) leave, he reverts back to the turnover machine that he used to be. And this is aside from the times that the offensive line is a sieve, just flat out poor decision making and poor throws by Manning. However, we are set there, and the backfield just needs to get healthy and remain that way. With Bradshaw, Brown, Wilson and Scott, there’s no need to sign anyone else unless Bradshaw finally runs out of steam next year. He gained all that weight and it only exacerbated his foot issues. I wouldn’t be concerned about the WRs, but Randle better step up. Teams now know what you need to do to take Cruz away, and Nicks is a possession receiver, meaning someone else must step up. Gilbride still could have done a much better job in the playcalling department and adjusting in-game, because he was putrid with it this year, let’s be honest. Upheaval on the offensive side comes with a price if you don’t get the right guy (Norv), but saying Fewell needs to go is ridiculous. Look at the output in the games this year when they were healthy versus the ones minus Phillips, Williams and a slowed Tuck over the past month. Add in a couple of impact players through free agency and the draft and they’re just fine.

CB, DE, LB, WR, OL, FS, DT/LB in that order in the draft, for my money.

25. cmb79 says: Dec 27, 2012 6:22 PM

Very good and fair points.